Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Driving testers RSA 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BinxFace

Congratulations to all who got through to the driving test in Mullingar and best of luck.

The numbers must be well whittled down now at this stage.

Has anyone done this driving test up there before? Is it tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 camki

Have a test also in Mullingar, I would be interested in hearing if anyone from the 2018 campaign has been kept on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bonesaw

From the comments under the social media posts by the recruiter, it would seem that the people from the previous campaign were not used for this. Lots of people on there complaining that they were never again contacted after getting through the final stage and on to the panel. Surely some of them are currently doing the job but I didn't see a post from anyone who got a full time job from the previous recruitment drive.

Has anyone received notification that they are not going ahead to the driving test?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

bonesaw wrote: »
    From the comments under the social media posts by the recruiter, it would seem that the people from the previous campaign were not used for this. Lots of people on there complaining that they were never again contacted after getting through the final stage and on to the panel. Surely some of them are currently doing the job but I didn't see a post from anyone who got a full time job from the previous recruitment drive

So based on that, if you get on to the panel, I think the pragmatic approach to take with this campaign is:

A)you might never get a sniff of a job, and
    B)if you do get a job it won't result in anything permanent.

Anything beyond that is a bonus.

So based on that, if you get on to the panel, I think the pragmatic approach to take with this campaign is:

A)you might never get a sniff of a job, and
    B)if you do get a job it won't result in anything permanent.

Anything beyond that is a bonus.

That seemed to be the situation with the people that were commenting.

I can't imagine that someone who had a positive outcome and was in the employment of The RSA would be commenting on Facebook though.

I got a call today confirming the driving test next week so for the people that haven't heard yet, don't lose hope because people got calls early in the week. They are still calling people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got a call there twenty minutes ago inviting me too. I don't think I'm going to proceed now though.

patrickc wrote: »
    I got a call there twenty minutes ago inviting me too. I don't think I'm going to proceed now though.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭patrickc

The 22 month contract and I'm almost about to draw down a mortgage.

That seemed to be the situation with the people that were commenting.

I can't imagine that someone who had a positive outcome and was in the employment of The RSA would be commenting on Facebook though.

Yes, that's a fair point.

It would be interesting to know how many from the last panel were actually called upon and how many of those morphed into full time positions. Having said that, it might be different this time round anyway - it's reasonable to assume that once the backlog of people waiting tests because of Covid has been sufficiently reduced, there will be no need for the RSA to convert these roles into permanent positions.

I'll be plodding along with the process anyway, and see how far I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yourmove

Got the good news the other day for Mullingar too. Travelling from Cork so a nice 3 hour spin ahead.

• Advertisement

yourmove wrote: »
    Got the good news the other day for Mullingar too. Travelling from Cork so a nice 3 hour spin ahead.

Best of luck, I'm going on Wednesday. Good to have the excuse to travel beyond 5km if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

camki wrote: »
    Best of luck, I'm going on Wednesday. Good to have the excuse to travel beyond 5km if nothing else.
    That's the right attitude nothing to loose and all about the experience and if you do get the gig for a year or two and than left go well than you will have gained a lot of experience from it and could go in to driving instruction as you should be a **** hot driving instructor after being a tester for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Padman225

Well , im going to the driving test also, just going with the flow really, im just afraid of all the bad habits over the years. I wonder is there many at this stage? Best of luck everyone !!!

Padman225 wrote: »
    Well , im going to the driving test also, just going with the flow really, im just afraid of all the bad habits over the years. I wonder is there many at this stage? Best of luck everyone !!!

When I was booking my slot there was 6 slots per day, but I'm not sure how many testers there is. 6 slots by 5 days is 30, just depends on how many testers there is.

My friend did it 2 years ago, he failed on progression and position in general and observation on the motorway. He can't remember much after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Blackeyemac

When the lady rang to book me in, I asked her was there many left at this stage, about 200 was her reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Hey everybody, is it two testers or one tester in the car for the test this time? Wondering if I need to remove child seats in the back!

jenningso wrote: »
    Hey everybody, is it two testers or one tester in the car for the test this time? Wondering if I need to remove child seats in the back!

Just the one, I asked when booking my slot. It used to be two but one with Covid restrictions. Windows need to be down also.

I'm just itching to know if I passed that driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BinxFace

I'm just itching to know if I passed that driving test.

How did you find it?? Was it tough? What's your gut instinct?

BinxFace wrote: »
    How did you find it?? Was it tough? What's your gut instinct?

I feel I failed mine, I made a few mistakes around progress and speed. 30km an hour is tough.im not overly confident. Do we know when we will hear?

• Advertisement

It was certainly a lot more than a standard driving test, but then they had made that clear. They crammed every type of driving in there - all different speed limits, major roads, minor roads, in and out of housing estates and industrial estates, narrow bridges....

I was behind a guy on the dual carriageway doing about 97 in a 100 zone and I was a bit will I, won't I about overtaking him. In the end I just said feck it and did.

If they mark rigidly to the speed limit I'm gone. I definitely went a bit above in the 30 zone, and a few times in the 50 zones I was over a bit as well.

Other than that I found it generally ok.

I've mine tomorrow, do we get questions about road rules etc? Like the theory etc?

I've mine tomorrow, do we get questions about road rules etc? Like the theory etc?

I got some technical questions, general rules of the road, and some questions around the operating of the car (e.g. how do you turn on the windscreen wipers - I knew the answer to that one as it was lashing all the way down).

Best of luck tomorrow

The questions were very straightforward, how to check oil, what is the minimum thread dept for tyres. The test itself is grand and is pretty much what I was expecting. Good luck!

I got some technical questions, general rules of the road, and some questions around the operating of the car (e.g. how do you turn on the windscreen wipers - I knew the answer to that one as it was lashing all the way down).

Best of luck tomorrow

Thanks a million, I've a two hour drive at least so plenty of practice, sure at least we got out of the county for a day. I really appreciate your help

camki wrote: »
    The questions were very straightforward, how to check oil, what is the minimum thread dept for tyres. The test itself is grand and is pretty much what I was expecting. Good luck!

To add to that, I was only asked 3 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DAK69

I’m 50/50 about mine, know of two mistakes I definitely made. Also had a fire brigade , a car ran out front of me at a junction, and a girl not looking stepped out in front off me. Thankfully I was already stopped as I seen it coming so hopefully some brownie points

Yeah every speed limit you can think off, though in my car he couldn’t see the speed monitor ðŸ˜.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭savic04

I've my test next week In Mullingar too

However after reading the 2018 thread , I don't think I will bother with the hassle of trekking to Mullingar when chances are you will be headquartered miles away from home for 7 weeks plus if any offer comes your way

Add to that the chances of getting a Full Time roll after 22 months are virtually zero!

Good luck to everyone who has made it this far

DAK69 wrote: »
    I’m 50/50 about mine, know of two mistakes I definitely made. Also had a fire brigade , a car ran out front of me at a junction, and a girl not looking stepped out in front off me. Thankfully I was already stopped as I seen it coming so hopefully some brownie points

Yeah every speed limit you can think off, though in my car he couldn’t see the speed monitor ðŸ˜.

Cheers for the info. Did they do the road sign chart or was it just questions on driving?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info. Did they do the road sign chart or was it just questions on driving?

Well had the test today, it was ok a lot of roundabouts big ones small ones, all kinds of speed limits. I think I did ok but we will see. There is two weeks of this test going on. All this week and all next week. No questions on signs just your normal stuff like operating the windscreen wipers etc.

Advertisement