Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Driving testers RSA 2021

• 22-12-2020 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

The RSA, through a recruitment firm, have advertised for Driving testers on a temp 22month contract nationwide (so could be anywhere really). Interestingly in the T&C it stats 5 of any 7 days ie not Monday to Friday and must be available to work weekends and BH's.

https://www.collinsmcnicholas.ie/drivertesters/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I think I will apply for the experience. It's a pity you couldn't secure a permanent job from the recruitment drive.. Unless you're out of work for whatever reason, I couldn't see any reason taking a temp contract..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Nala112

Hi guys, I got through to the interview stage. I have read previous posts about the last recruitment campaign. All the comments are negative and stating the 22 month contract is too uncertain and the people who got offered declined. I would like to hear from someone who did accept the job are they happy and is there a good chance you will be kept on? I can't see a reason to spend so much training someone to cut them loose after 22months. I can see the point of offering a 22 month contract makes it easier to cut someone loose if they aren't preforming and I think is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Nala112 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got through to the interview stage. I have read previous posts about the last recruitment campaign. All the comments are negative and stating the 22 month contract is too uncertain and the people who got offered declined. I would like to hear from someone who did accept the job are they happy and is there a good chance you will be kept on? I can't see a reason to spend so much training someone to cut them loose after 22months. I can see the point of offering a 22 month contract makes it easier to cut someone loose if they aren't preforming and I think is fair enough.

Did you see any link to the technical test that had been referenced in the original document for campaign? OH also through to interview but said that there is no reference to technical test in correspondence

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

I believe the technical test will be an advanced driving test, in line with previous recruitments.

IP freely wrote: »
    I believe the technical test will be an advanced driving test, in line with previous recruitments.

I don't think so? That is the driving test which is mentioned as a later stage. I have copied the section below that I am referencing from the booklet

Online Technical Test
    Successful candidates at online aptitude test stage will be invited to complete the Online Technical Test. A link to access this test will be provided in the Invitation to Competency Based Interview email. Candidates must complete this test prior to the online interview. When candidates click on the link, the Survey Monkey platform will open. This test is similar to the RSA Driver Theory Test and will take the form of multiple-choice questions. This is an untimed test however, it is imperative that candidates keep track of their time and complete the test within 40 minutes of opening the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭patrickc

I also got invited to the interview stage, no mention of the other stage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

patrickc wrote: »
    I also got invited to the interview stage, no mention of the other stage at all.
    Salary ?:confused:

39k starting

I got an email saying I've to do the online technical test before the interview

Same, email just came through for it a little while ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Blackeyemac

I wonder will they run this campaign similar to the last one, in as when someone is offered a position regardless of location it's a matter of acceptance or leave the process. Many people that got through previously could not up sticks and move to the other side of the country.
    No option was given, if you're next in line you had to take the next appointment in line, surely some kind of commute distance could be established and offers would be made within that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flymonkey

Hi

Just wondering if the people who got invited to interview, is this your first time entering such a campaign?
    I entered in 2018 and got offered a job over a 100 miles away so I left it. Entered this time and havent heard anything yet.

Congratulations on getting straight to interview. Nice job if you can get it close to home

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jamp 123

Just reading the previous campaign thread regarding interviews, driving testing, training etc and placements even if you did manage to get through all of the above, is it really worth it to be placed miles from home and for only a 2 year contract? Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Jamp 123 wrote: »
    Just reading the previous campaign thread regarding interviews, driving testing, training etc and placements even if you did manage to get through all of the above, is it really worth it to be placed miles from home and for only a 2 year contract? Any thoughts

I guess it depends on your personal circumstances.. For some, it would be a fantastic experience. However, If you have a family, mortgage etc. that complicates things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Padman225

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    Same, email just came through for it a little while ago

Hi the technical test is like the theory test. I also got invited to the interview but really for a 22 month contract im not so sure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Did the theory test piece the other day. 53 questions but it doesn't tell you at the end whether you passed it or not. Interview next week, but I have to say, reading the thread on the last campaign kind of makes me wonder is it worth it.

Above all though, I find it absolutely astounding that geographical location isn't taken into account when offering successful candidates a position. It just defies logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Blackeyemac

Absolutely fully agree with you on that one.. apparently they lost a lot of people last time who were not able to take up any offered positions. Doesn't make sense to go to all the trouble of interviews and driving tests only to be offered somewhere the other end of the country. The HSE ran a much better (IMO) system in that a position was offered to everyone on the panel, anyone that wanted could express an interest and then out of that the highest placement on panel to express interest gets the spot but nobody else leaves the panel. Maybe this time around they might try a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Padman225

It's hard to believe that area's aren't taken into consideration. I'm really between two minds but time will tell if I have a decision to make

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BinxFace

Hi Everyone - interested to hear how the interviews went? Any have theirs done yet?

BinxFace wrote: »
    Hi Everyone - interested to hear how the interviews went? Any have theirs done yet?

I had mine today and it was just as outlined in the FAQ pack. 2 interviewers, one from the RSA and one from the agency. Questions were competency based and again as outlined in the info pack - teamwork, problem solving, customer service, and communication. They asked a couple of follow on questions for each.

My interview lasted around 20 mins - I was surprised it was over so quickly. Not sure if that is because they had heard enough and made their mind up or that was all there was.Other than that, pretty standard. My recommendation is to make sure that the examples you give are directly relatable to the role. Also, make sure that the examples you give specify what you did, or what your contribution was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do they still have the role play days in this recruitment process? I went through the online stuff previously but didnt bother attending that type of event.

I had mine today and it was just as outlined in the FAQ pack. 2 interviewers, one from the RSA and one from the agency. Questions were competency based and again as outlined in the info pack - teamwork, problem solving, customer service, and communication. They asked a couple of follow on questions for each.

My interview lasted around 20 mins - I was surprised it was over so quickly. Not sure if that is because they had heard enough and made their mind up or that was all there was.Other than that, pretty standard. My recommendation is to make sure that the examples you give are directly relatable to the role. Also, make sure that the examples you give specify what you did, or what your contribution was.

Thanks for all that Jethrothe2nd... my OH has an interview next week and he hasn't done an interview in over 20 years. That was very helpful. He is a bag of nerves.

My last question is regarding the Microsoft Teams element. Did you just click the link they sent and waited until they answered / let you in or did you download the Teams app on your laptop?? We are not very Tech savvy so unsure as to how to approach this part?? Don't wanna cause any unnecessary extra pressure interview nerves on the day?

Thanks for all that Jethrothe2nd... my OH has an interview next week and he hasn't done an interview in over 20 years. That was very helpful. He is a bag of nerves.

My last question is regarding the Microsoft Teams element. Did you just click the link they sent and waited until they answered / let you in or did you download the Teams app on your laptop?? We are not very Tech savvy so unsure as to how to approach this part?? Don't wanna cause any unnecessary extra pressure interview nerves on the day?

I think you can access it just by clicking the link but I had Teams installed already so I can't categorically say. Once open, it places you in a lobby until the interviewers open the meeting.

It might be better to download Teams directly on to your device. (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/microsoft-teams/group-chat-software) That way you can check everything out beforehand and make sure things like the sound and video are set up properly. If you need any help with that let me know

EDIT - that link doesn;t work for some reason but just google Microsoft teams and it comes up

I had the interview today too, again they focused on 3 competencies. customer service, problem solving and teamwork.

Teams will work with or without it downloaded.

Thanks a million guys for the tips. Ye are very kind for sharing.

I will get him to revise those areas over the next few days.

Best of luck to you all. Hopefully the geographical issues of past posts from the panel don't become an issue this time round for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ayzeb123

My DH had his interview for this and the same as the other poster said. He was asked 3 competencies. Customer Service, Teamwork and problem solving. And asked further questions with regard to the answers he gave. Interview was also about 20 mins. Hopefully he will get to the next stage but also that they take location into account as it doesn't make sense to take someone off the panel if they refuse the first location offered due to distance. That's a waste of their time and his. They will lose their top choices of suitable candidates if they do it like that. I understand you cannot work in your own area but an hour driving to work should be enough. He currently has a permanent job that he is happy in but would like to do this as a new challenge. I'll keep you posted.

Does anyone know if they pay expenses for travel or for a B&B if they do offer a position far from home? in the booklet it says No Expenses but the wording is a bit ambiguous. No expenses for the training but not sure about if they are placed far from home.

My DH was wondering the exact same as you about being placed far from home. Interview was exactly as everyone described above.

Does anyone know if they are going to do the role play aspect over the Teams app? Or due to covid and being unable to go to a hotel venue is this section being skipped and the next stage is a driving test??

It's a waiting game now for everyone to see who is through to next stage. Best of luck everyone.

My DH was wondering the exact same as you about being placed far from home. Interview was exactly as everyone described above.

Does anyone know if they are going to do the role play aspect over the Teams app? Or due to covid and being unable to go to a hotel venue is this section being skipped and the next stage is a driving test??

It's a waiting game now for everyone to see who is through to next stage. Best of luck everyone.

Oh had interview today and next stage is still the assessment centre which will be done online (presume over teams). They said interview results should be out early next week with next stage starting on 15th

As regards travel/subsistence, from my reading you will only be entitled to T&S if you are working away from the HQ you are assigned to and it will be based on distance from the HQ, not your home.

I got the email this evening I am through to the next round. I wasn't expecting it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 furrylegs

Hi all I got an email this evening that I am through to the next round. Has anyone got any advice on the role play...possible scenario and answers have never done anything like this before..

Advertisement