Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭McGiver

Looks like the 2020 tech, EV and e commerce bubble has bursted.

Everything in the red. How low will it go?

Even MSFT is struggling.

CRM, NVDA, SQ down.

LIT, TSLA down.

BABA, AMZN down.

Interestingly, pharma-Covid down too - MRNA, J J, NVAX, CVAC down. MRNA has 18.4 billion worth of contracts agreed for 2021, is financially sound but the stock keeps falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭McGiver

bawnBeag wrote:
    Nasty....NIO has taken a big hit. $38 down from $65, could be a good price to pick it up

NIO is an inflated stock with no underlying value really. Not worth the market cap. Almost pump and dump.

Compare with the VAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

McGiver wrote: »

Interestingly, pharma-Covid down too - MRNA, J J, NVAX, CVAC down. MRNA has 18.4 billion worth of contracts agreed for 2021, is financially sound but the stock keeps falling.

I went head first into NVAX and learnt my lesson. Tried to average down but I’m still 33% red...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Snapped up some DIS and DKNG. Have resisted GME so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Weeks like this you have to remember the bigger picture, go have a look at the 5 year or 1 year of the S&P or Nasdaq, there's lots of drops like this month, it always comes back stronger. Stick with it folks, don't panic sell at the bottom.

The Nasdaq during the Corona crash last year, dropped 3000 points from 9800ish to 6800 in 4 weeks, then across the next 4wks recovered 2200 of them. Fully agreed don't be the person to make that emotional rash decision possibly sell at the 6800 equivalent this time, you cannot time the market ever, all this money that was pulled from the market will not remain as cash for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So turns out the dip I bought last Friday was just a divot.

A lot of the technical looks say it's oversold now, on the back of Powells comments. We're below 200 day moving average on a lot of the 2020 winners, which is a sufficient pullback, and the PS ratio on a lot of stocks that was getting ridiculous is back to a more manageable level. Remnds me a bit of October last year, 2/3 weeks pullback and it'll grow again.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The Nasdaq during the Corona crash last year, dropped 3000 points from 9800ish to 6800 in 4 weeks, then across the next 4wks recovered 2200 of them. Fully agreed don't be the person to make that emotional rash decision possibly sell at the 6800 equivalent this time, you cannot time the market ever, all this money that was pulled from the market will not remain as cash for long.
    Yeah, and in October, there was a fall of 8% over 3 weeks, and it recovered all of it in about a week. I'm not guaranteeing it happens again, but I wouldn't be selling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Like other posters are saying, I'd view this as an opportunity - a chance to get a few bargains. I know I have finally bought some shares that I had been eyeing up with the last few months at a discount price. In saying that, they've gone down again in the days since I bought them. But it is important to remember that markets only move in the one direction in the long run (assuming you're investing of course).

If you're feeling a bit uneasy, Paddy Delaney's latest blog (link below) should provide some reassurance. Keep the powder dry, as they say.

https://www.informeddecisions.ie/the-worst-time-to-invest-ever-blog-166/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Continuing to buy Alteryx and Amazon as they dip and also Jfrog and Redfin, the latter two solely based on recommendations here. I had a lot of FTSE stocks and airlines which have been doing well so I'm mainly taking profits there and rotating into these rather than adding much new money.

Keep the heads, as Shakespeare said the path to true wealth never did run smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Be happy you didn't enter $TXMD at circa 1.90/1.85 friends :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Didn't buy anything today. Lesson learned this week- don't buy until it starts recovering. Last Friday looks a high now which seemed a bargain on the day. Will dump Pfizer and GSK at loss (2-3%) and buy NVDA, BABA and GOLD tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

bish76 wrote: »
    Didn't buy anything today. Lesson learned this week- don't buy until it starts recovering. Last Friday looks a high now which seemed a bargain on the day. Will dump Pfizer and GSK at loss (2-3%) and buy NVDA, BABA and GOLD tomorrow.

I'm looking to see if BABA touches it's January lows personally. 230 is really a number BABA was at for weeks around that time. It dipped briefly to 211 at that time. I think it's possible if this continues it hit's around that figure briefly. Obviously depends when the tide turns though. Could happen ahead of the weekend.

robman60 wrote: »
    Jfrog and Redfin,
    Both of these are also recommended by Motley fool if that helps to build confidence. It might take time but these will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Took a nibble of Disney, NIO and MP Materials today. Too tempting to resist.

Disney & MP promptly recovered by a few percentage ...love it when that happens (thumbs up)

But NIO kept falling like a f***ing stone (sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Just got a T212 amendment to terms email that currency conversion will go from 0% to 0.15%. This just after revolut upped their holding fees from 0.01% to 0.12%

Neither rate is unreasonable but it'll be 0.3% in conversion on a buy to sell.

I imagine there will be more to come from these "free" brokers over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

robman60 wrote: »
    Neither rate is unreasonable but it'll be 0.3% in conversion on a buy to sell.

You can claim it off your CGT thankfully, along with the silly 7-8 quid fees for FRA and the canadian ventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I had a busy day at work today, but I swear to god I got more 10% drop emails from Degiro than emails from anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

Timmaay wrote: »

But the money is not moving to cash it is going to other sectors, ie energy, finance and more boring stuff, I stayed out of the tech bubble mostly, my growth stocks are in bio 4D and Octogen, and a big chunk in slow and steady Eddie consumer staples with a yield of 5%.
    ExxonMobil was a buy today, would prefer to have bough last week but alas, Shell to divesfy currency in the sector then in the morning if the price is right.
    Im up 80% IAG and will take 40% of the value tomorrow and put it into Ryanair with a bit of cash to have the same value in both and allow them to steadily climb to cruising altitude.
    There is so much more out there than tech and spacs, you won't have as many rockets but also less risk of them burning up on rentry.
    This is a great thread, and I am looking into jfrog and red fin at the moment because they have been recomended here they sound promising.
    I don't think we are at blood on the streets yet, but its Saturday night after closing and someone's mother was just called fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

bish76 wrote: »
    Both of these are also recommended by Motley fool if that helps to build confidence. It might take time but these will recover.

What service is recommending them on TMF? It's not Stock Advisors anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

1percent wrote: »
    I don't think we are at blood on the streets yet, but its Saturday night after closing and someone's mother was just called fat!

That's the most witty thing I've read on Share Picks 2021 (or any of the other Share Picks years). Keep it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

Scottish mortgage down another 5% this morning.... usually my indicator as to how the day is going to go... don't want to look too close today after 4 days or carnage....

buyer95 wrote: »
    LMND is Tom's best buy few times
    We're turning to a recent recommendation to fill out our latest Best Buy Now list, picking AI-driven insurance provider Lemonade (NYSE: LMND) for the second time in three months. After earning its spot on our BBN list this time around, Lemonade has appeared as either a recommendation or a Best Buy Now every month since Tom first recommended it in December of last year. That track record should give you some idea of how excited Tom is about this company.

RDFN is also recommended by Tom Gardner and Tim Beyers few times in 10X discovery team interviews, latest one on 8th Feb

Both of these are also on Our Stocks list by mywallst.

ooops, noticed now, I have mixed up Jfrog with Lemonade. I have positions in all of these though.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Cpfm wrote: »
    don't want to look too close today after 4 days or carnage....
    4? I'm on day 10 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Havent logged into Degiro in days, better for my sanity. I am going to get drunk tonight and forget about it all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Havent logged into Degiro in days, better for my sanity. I am going to get drunk tonight and forget about it all.

Then you'll probably log in having forgotten how bad it got. And then drink to forget you forgot... rinse and repeat !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

buyer95 wrote: »

It is. It was recommended on 3rd Dec (my buy price then was $81.87) and on 7th Jan (price then was $163.9).

Wish I'd only bought on the first rec :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My stop loss on Asos was hit at first bell this morning before rebounding back above it immediately - hate it when that happens.
    On the plus side, it frees up some cash to go bargain hunting later. Gonnago back in for more LMND, FSLY and maybe PSTH

Supercell wrote: »

Friday evening drinks and markets open till 9pm is a bad combination in my experience :o

Great time to have some cash ready,
    yes I know time in the market beats timing the market but its nice not to be buying at the peak all the time
    SmokyMo wrote: »
    I went cash mostly since last week, except for couple reddit stocks. Posted here on Thursday that I shorted BTC and couple stocks.. got laughed at.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Yeah i had some cash sitting aside in degiro and blew the load midweek, catching plenty of falling knives.
    Not 'chasing the vig' today, will sit it out until next week unless something happens with something I'm already looking to offload.

Payday monday so will load up again then.
    Valhallapt wrote: »
    I’ve moved about 15% into cash. It’s burning a hole in my pocket, trying hard not to jump on a quick pump and dump meme stock.

I am moving to cash as there might be more red days ahead, and that is a buying opportunity for my conviction stocks (mostly geneomics)
    DutchYurt wrote: »
    I've a nice cash reserve built up myself, any companies in particular you're keeping an eye to?

To all the posters that told is in Feb that they were moving to cash, interested to hear if ye've started buying or waiting for further falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Friday evening drinks and markets open till 9pm is a bad combination in my experience :o

Tell me about it, manys a bad decision being made fumbling with the Degiro app at 20:55 of a Friday evening!
    Tonight binge watching last series of DC's Legends on Kodi, mobile and tablet will be out of sight and mind!
    Not this time :pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement