Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Iceland is grand, that's all I can say about it really. It was always an uphill task to try and recreate the hype generated by Think About Things but this won't come remotely near. Maybe it'll look/sound a lot better in Rotterdam, but I'm pretty indifferent to it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Iceland was fairly boring for me, nowhere near as good as Switzerland. My money is on the Swiss this year. Will be interesting to see how they all compare with the staging etc but the Swiss guy can really sing, would be a worthy winner.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Iceland was fairly boring for me, nowhere near as good as Switzerland. My money is on the Swiss this year. Will be interesting to see how they all compare with the staging etc but the Swiss guy can really sing, would be a worthy winner.

He's got an amazing voice, but I think Repondez Moi was better. I'dve been reasonably happy with that winning last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Out of all the returning artists Dadi had the most impossible task as everyone (even non Eurovision fans) knew and enjoyed Think About Things.

I think this entry does stand up and it really grew as the song went on. Unlikely to win but hopefully does well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Whitters22 wrote: »
    Out of all the returning artists Dadi had the most impossible task as everyone (even non Eurovision fans) knew and enjoyed Think About Things.

I think this entry does stand up and it really grew as the song went on. Unlikely to win but hopefully does well!

It's a bit crazy to compare it to Think About Things too. That never actually competed in a Eurovision....people are talking about TAT as if took part in the Contest last year and finished in a certain position. The only thing it can be compared to is this year's other entries.

• Advertisement

Poland

I like this! Although the comparisons to The Weeknd probably won't help it. Think it'll qualify from the comparatively weaker semi final though.

Latvia

It took me a couple of listens but I like it. Not sure about it's qualification chances.

We should have a full house by tomorrow, just Azerbaijan, Malta and Georgia to go. Also remains to be seen whether Belarus will change their song or withdraw. Of the remaining reveals I think it's only Malta who could possibly be a contender, Azerbaijan haven't really been a factor since their vote rigging was discovered. Malta always enjoy very strong jury support but they'll need something to get the public onside, this is where they often struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Azerbaijan

A decent effort, continues the vibe of 'Cleopatra'. An easy qualifier and likely top 10. Azerbaijan know how to stage their entries.

Georgia

I thought last year's was horrible, was easily bottom of my list, but I actually quite like this. Lyrically it's a bit simple but the voice and melody are very nice. It's one of those "could go either way" with regards qualification, it'll either come across as really sweet and refreshing or it'll just fade into the background and be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Can’t remember the Switzerland song at all, Iceland's song was memorable

Malta

Not what I was expecting. Will stand out, could be a contender.

• Advertisement

LordBasil wrote: »
    Malta

Not what I was expecting. Will stand out, could be a contender.

Bookies are in agreement as this is now the second favourite to win, just behind Switzerland. I'm not too keen on it tbh (preferred her song last year) but I can see why it would appeal to a lot of people. And I can't imagine her not performing it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Irlande non point

Azerbaijan

Thought last year's was shite and this is even worse. Azerbaijan almost always qualify but think they might struggle with this. Aisel missed the final with a better song.

Georgia

Can't see anyone getting behind this.

Malta

Now this is more like it! And to think I saw some people earlier today compare it to the horrific Electro Velvet :eek: I do think the chorus could pack more of a punch, but overall this is a very strong entry. I liked All Of My Love a lot last year but think I actually prefer this. I hope they can slightly rejig the chorus to give it a bit more pop, but overall I think this is going to do very well for Malta. Juries are naturally always very kind to them and we know that Destiny will sell the hell out of it. Top 5 contender I think, maybe even winner with great staging.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Irlande non point

Maps has probably had the best reception an Irish entry has had in a long time, bearing in mind that nobody expected Together to qualify for the final until the staging was revealed. And supposedly Lesley had a good team behind her for the staging this year (director is the guy who did Måns Zelmerlöw's Heroes). The only missing piece is her live vocal; if she can sing it well live then I think Ireland has a good chance of making the final, even in a very competitive semi.

Looking at the semis now that all the songs have been chosen I wonder if Ireland will be chosen to open the semi-final and perform first; this is not always a bad position to be in (Sweden were due to perform first in 2020) but it seems like it would fit as a non-ballad and non-"too weird" choice to be up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ireland are near the bottom of the betting for a reason - the song is forgettable.

I'm sure Lesley is lovely but at the end of the day she doesn't stand out. It is what it is.

We'll do very well to qualify.

Ireland are near the bottom of the betting for a reason - the song is forgettable.

I'm sure Lesley is lovely but at the end of the day she doesn't stand out. It is what it is.

We'll do very well to qualify.

Lesley's chances of qualifying will all depend on staging & performance. Betting odds mean little, for example at this stage in 2014 & 2018, The Common Linnets and Eleni Foreira were both about where Lesley is now in the betting chart and both of them finished runner-ups. I'm not saying Maps will finish second but something to bear in mind.

Running order Predictions

SF1;

First Half
    1. Australia
    2. Slovenia
    3. Sweden
    4. Russia
    5. North Macedonia
    6. Ireland
    7. Lithuania
    Second Half
    8. Israel
    9 Romania
    10. Azerbaijan
    11.Ukraine
    12. Croatia
    13. Norway
    14. Cyprus
    15. Belgium
    16. Malta

SF2;

First Half
    1. Moldova
    2. Austria
    3. Poland
    4. Serbia
    5. Estonia
    6. San Marino
    7. Iceland.
    8. Greece
    9. Czech Republic
    Second Half
    10. Portugal
    11. Albania
    12. Finland
    13. Bulgaria
    14. Latvia
    15. Georgia
    16. Switzerland
    17. Denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lesley's chances of qualifying will all depend on staging & performance. Betting odds mean little, for example at this stage in 2014 & 2018, The Common Linnets and Eleni Foreira were both about where Lesley is now in the betting chart and both of them finished runner-ups. I'm not saying Maps will finish second but something to bear in mind.

Fair point, I'm at least willing to give it a chance.

Slightly off topic but the fact that the Common Linnets didn't win that year is still a travesty.

Just catching up on yesterday's releases and the last bunch of entries.

Georgia - Such a simple and honest song but I quite enjoyed it.

Azerbaijan - Points for sending something ethnically authentic but that's about it.

Malta - I was very much expecting a ballad here so was taken aback. This has a great chance with good staging and her vocals.

Running order Predictions

SF1;

SF2;

First Half
    1. Moldova
    2. Austria
    3. Poland
    4. Serbia
    5. Estonia
    6. San Marino
    7. Iceland.
    8. Greece
    9. Czech Republic
    Second Half
    10. Portugal
    11. Albania
    12. Finland
    13. Bulgaria
    14. Latvia
    15. Georgia
    16. Switzerland
    17. Denmark

God I'm struggling to pick qualifiers past 6/7 of these songs.

• Advertisement

God I'm struggling to pick qualifiers past 6/7 of these songs.

Switzerland, Bulgaria, Iceland, San Marino, Greece and Finland are probably safe enough bets (though I personally think Finland is dreadful and it may be completely overshadowed by Italy in the final). I'd add Moldova to this list, assuming that it's not a disaster live.

That's 7/10, after that it's less clear cut but I would guess Latvia, Czech Republic and Albania for the final three spots.

I think there's only room for one of Latvia or Serbia, and Latvia stand out a bit more (but they might both qualify if either Moldova or San Marino flops live).

Czech Republic is under the radar a bit but I think it's enjoyable and catchy enough to go through.

Albania is a shot in the dark but they tend to do well enough when they sing in Albanian, so why not?

Denmark is my ultimate guilty pleasure this year. I think they have a shot at qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭delboy85

I think it's a very poor year this year re: the quality of songs. I think last years selections were much stronger.

Most years there are 4 or 5 songs that I love but I'm struggling to pick songs this year that I even like. But there are a few.

Iceland was my winner last year. And while the new song isn't as good I do still think it's one of the stronger entries.

I feel Iceland's reveal performance was deliberately subdued as not to create too much of a buzz but they'll build momentum with the release of the music video nearer the contest. People have written them off prematurely....

We finally have our final lineup for the class of 2021 as Belarus have been disqualified!

So finally had a go at predicting the Semi Final 1 qualifiers!

Qualifying
    Lithuania
    Sweden
    Malta
    Romania
    Croatia
    Cyprus
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Ireland
    Israel

Staying in the semi's
    Slovenia
    Belgium
    North Macedonia
    Norway
    Australia
    Azerbaijan

Wasn't quite as difficult as I thought it might be. Divided my list into 'Definite Qualifiers', 'Maybes' and 'Definite NQ'.

Lithuania, Sweden, Malta, Romania, Croatia and Cyprus went on my list of definite qualifiers straight away, I can't see any upsets there. Slovenia, Belgium, Macedonia and Norway were put on the NQ list straight away. I've seen some trying to make a case for Macedonia because of his strong vocals, but I can't see it happening. At the end of the day the song still has to be strong, and a 90's Disney ballad just doesn't cut it at Eurovision 2021. Norway are suspiciously high in the odds, and may get a bit of public support for the novelty factor, but surely sanity will prevail here? Plus they only have Sweden as an ally, Denmark, Iceland and Finland are all in the other semi.

So that left me with six countries fighting for the last four spots. I initially thought Russia could be a NQ but it is after growing on me a bit. The loss of Belarus will hurt them, that's a guaranteed 24 points that they've lost, so they're now relying on just Lithuania, Ukraine and Azerbaijan as neighbours. I think they'll do it though. Ukraine lost some of its appeal with the revamp, but this is still more than strong enough to keep the 100% qualification record intact.

So that left Ireland, Israel, Australia and Azerbaijan to fight it out for the last two spots. The only reason Australia has made it this far into the conversation and didn't go on the 'NQ' list straight away is because they're Australia, and as we know they'll be ridiculously overrated by the juries. I can't see it happening for them this year though, Don't Break Me was much stronger, so I think they're missing out for the first time. The last couple of spots could go either way, but I chose Ireland and Israel to make it over Azerbaijan. I like Ireland's song, it's pleasant and could look well with good staging. We won't be picking up any 12's or 10's, but if the juries are kind enough to us I think we'll sneak through. Israel should make it for similar reasons, it's pleasant and inoffensive. Azerbaijan's song just isn't strong enough this year, and as I've mentioned before, if Samra couldn't make it with a better song then I think Mata Hari will be NQ #2.

I wonder how many of these I'll get totally wrong :D Any thoughts? I'll have a go at Semi Final 2 later.

At this stage I'd only put Lithuania and Malta as guaranteed Q's tbh, and I wouldn't rule out any other entry from potentially qualifying (now that Belarus is no longer present). The two songs generally regarded as the weakest in this semi, Slovenia and North Macedonia, have arguably two of the best vocalists and Israel's revamp is showing off the singer's voice more than the original was; that could rack up some jury scores. I think people might be underestimating Belgium too.

A lot will depend on the night, what staging works and doesn't work, what live vocals don't come off as well as they should etc.

If I was to pick 20 songs to go through 12 would probably come from this SF so it's a bit unbalanced.
    I rate Australia, Norway and Belgium highly so I'd have them in. Casualties might be Ireland, Israel, Ukraine or Croatia.
    On a side note is it looking increasingly inevitable that the competition will be held remotely in each of the individual countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If I was to pick 20 songs to go through 12 would probably come from this SF so it's a bit unbalanced.
    I rate Australia, Norway and Belgium highly so I'd have them in. Casualties might be Ireland, Israel, Ukraine or Croatia.
    On a side note is it looking increasingly inevitable that the competition will be held remotely in each of the individual countries?

Not at all. Rotterdam are confident Eurovision will go ahead as normal with all contestants live on stage. They say they will hold it in an empty arena if necessary, but are determined to put on a live show (or three shows).

• Advertisement

Running order has been released:

ExuBC2eXEAEB3ZI?format=jpg

Not sure if this is good or bad for Lesley; definitely serves as a pick-me-up after North Macedonia, but risks being overshadowed by Cyprus if they put on an OTT stage show for El Diablo.

Norway being on so early is strange considering he's the only male vocalist in the second half.

And here's Semi 2 - Senhit and Flo Rida up first!

ExuBC3GWYAE4Yg5?format=jpg

Advertisement