Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone paying tax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I never said they where free. I'm a PAYE worker, it comes out of my wages. You are arguing my point for me.

The gov pays over 15k per person per year and that doesn't include social housing. So if there are 4 of you and you aren't paying 60k in tax per year it's not completely coming out of your wages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Augeo wrote: »
    Ah yes ............ folk never detail the figures when asked. Yet sh1te on about paying their share etc.

Pay a fiver in, but get a tenner back sort of payer

Not at all. I pay the going rate like any other ~PAYE worker. Comes out of pay packet at the end of each month.

I also don't pay cash for tradesmen to do work like some on here have admitted. That's real scronging right there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

GarIT wrote: »
    There's quite a lot of accountability. A paper trail for everything. For every decision all the bids made and the reasons a certain bid were selected are recorded.

That's not accountability though, that's just a record of the process.

GarIT has ordered a printer that won't fit in the building, it's cost double, treble whatever of what it should, here we are what 2 years later and it's still unused - what happens to GarIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I never said they where free. I'm a PAYE worker, it comes out of my wages. You are arguing my point for me.

Are you trying to tell us that you paid full market rent because you paid a fraction of it directly and the rest came from your tax contribution?

The gov pays over 15k per person per year and that doesn't include social housing. So if there are 4 of you and you aren't paying 60k in tax per year it's not completely coming out of your wages.

I'd imagine between the four of us it's well over 60k a year tax. Actually it definitely is. Is that your whole argument?

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Are you trying to tell us that you paid full market rent because you paid a fraction of it directly and the rest came from your tax contribution?

Iv'e actually stated i didn't pay full market rent. Are you sure you are responding to the correct poster? :confused:

That's not accountability though, that's just a record of the process.

GarIT has ordered a printer that won't fit in the building, it's cost double, treble whatever of what it should, here we are what 2 years later and it's still unused - what happens to GarIT?

In the private sector they would find a way to manage you out which is usually illegal but hard to prove. In the public sector you could face a pay cut of a few grand it it was malicious or malpractice, but legally you can only be put on a performance improvement program and if you don't **** up again you're grand.

I'd imagine between the four of us it's well over 60k a year tax. Actually it definitely is. Is that your whole argument?

So between you you were earning over 100k a year and living in a subsidised council house?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A lot of street lighting is only light pollution and can be done away with

I remember in my youth, living in a city where the street lights were turned off at about 1 AM. It was marvellous. Comet Kahoutek came around and I remember getting up at about 4 AM and standing in the street and the city was pitch black with a clear bright night sky you now have to drive a good way out of any city now to experience. That comet was amazing naked eye viewable.

The rapacious governement charges self-employed people a higher rate of tax than PAYE, so I'm not that bothered by the cash economy serving it back at them.

Yeah it's amazing that in an organisation of 10s of thousands of employees there might be a few jobs going.

The company I worked for did not have tens of thousands of employees. These people were given jobs like literally in the same department, and most of them were Mickey mouse does f*ck all jobs tbh.

• Advertisement

So between you you were earning over 100k a year and living in a subsidised council house?

No no, his kids were working aswell. He said they paid 60k tax between the four of them :D

Happens all the time. Someone will say "92 percent of the market rent is paid by the LA, and 8 percent is paid by the tenant" then a tenant or former tenant will come on and dispute that, but refuse to divulge what percentage they actually pay/ paid.

Yeah, the chap won't reveal what his rent or his earnings were in the 12 years he lived in social housing. Even though he's on an anonymous forum .......... makes no sense. Unless he reckons the numbers are laughable also.

Iv'e actually stated i didn't pay full market rent. Are you sure you are responding to the correct poster? :confused:

Yet you're trying to claim that you basically have paid full market rent because you pay PAYE. You've denied that other people contributed to your rent.

No between us now. Did you read my posts at all. I'm not in a social house at present. I bought a house in early 2001 and have it fully paid off now. Two kids living with us still working away saving for their own place but with the cost of housing at present it's not easy. Would love some peace tbh :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No reason with technology tradesman can't accept a cash transfer via debit or credit card on the spot (revolut or sum up etc) then give a receipt. Wouldnt expect anyone to provide credit to a stranger (wouldn't accept cheques myself in 2020).

It's when they want the folding stiff only (therefore not traceable)...

Given its near impossible to get a tradesman at the moment I'm guessing its widespread.

No between us now. Did you read my posts at all. I'm not in a social house at present. I bought a house in early 2001 and have it fully paid off now. Two kids living with us still working away saving for their own place but with the cost of housing at present it's not easy. Would love some peace tbh :D

Well for you. Plenty of people stuck in a perpetual cycle of paying ever increasing market rent, which prevents them from saving for their own place.

Yet you're trying to claim that you basically have paid full market rent because you pay PAYE. You've denied that other people contributed to your rent.

Where did i deny that. We all as tax payers pay for everything. Roads, schools, houses, health care etc...

Your beef should be with the government if you don't like the system. The voting booth is your friend.

No reason with technology tradesman can't accept a cash transfer via debit or credit card on the spot (revolut or sum up etc) then give a receipt. Wouldnt expect anyone to provide credit to a stranger (wouldn't accept cheques myself in 2020).

It's when they want the folding stiff only (therefore not traceable)...

Given its near impossible to get a tradesman at the moment I'm guessing its widespread.

Are cheques even still a thing? That's gas :)

.....I bought a house in early 2001..

Was it the one you'd rented for 12 years previously?
    In the 90s you'd have made good money driving abroad.......... and your rent was sweet fnck all. I understand why you won't detail the numbers for us.

Where did i deny that. We all as tax payers pay for everything. Roads, schools, houses, health care etc...

Your beef should be with the government if you don't like the system. The voting booth is your friend.

You said "nobody paid my rent except me".

• Advertisement

Well for you. Plenty of people stuck in a perpetual cycle of paying ever increasing market rent, which prevents them from saving for their own place.

I know it's awful but if people don't set up a political party to change the system that has created this what will change?

Have you thought of going down that route?

That's where you can enact real change.

I know it's awful but if people don't set up a political party to change the system that has created this what will change?

Have you thought of going down that route?

That's where you can enact real change.

Is that your answer to everything? "Take it up with the government, isn't my fault".

You said "nobody paid my rent except me".

That's correct. Nobody pays my rent. Tax payers like myself paid for the building of my house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Here, stop hijacking my thread with social housing guff. Off you go and start your own discussion.

Interesting that the only person getting abuse here is the recipient of tax income via housing subsidies, yet we seem to have no problem with people defrauding the revenue. Peculiar Irish thing, maybe?

Is that your answer to everything? "Take it up with the government, isn't my fault".

What's your answer? Blame it on some poster on the internet who lived in a council house 19 years ago? I'm pointing out to you a route to enact change.

That's correct. Nobody pays my rent. Tax payers like myself paid for the building of my house though.

The level of denial is unreal. If you weren't paying market rent then the taxpayer was subsidising it for you. If your salary was low enough that you were allowed to avail of social housing then I am sorry, you were not contributing enough to even pay for a single brick to be layed in a house.

What's your answer? Blame it on some poster on the internet who lived in a council house 19 years ago? I'm pointing out to you a route to enact change.

I don't need change. I'm capable of buying my own house, paying my own rent etc. I simply asked you to stop denying that the tax payer paid a good bit of your rent while you lived in social housing.

The level of denial is unreal. If you weren't paying market rent then the taxpayer was subsidising it for you. If your salary was low enough that you were allowed to avail of social housing then I am sorry, you were not contributing enough to even pay for a single brick to be layed in a house.

Could have been a single mother house or something ......... loads of folk gamed the system back then too. Or got work after getting the house, good fortune etc etc.

Here, stop hijacking my thread with social housing guff. Off you go and start your own discussion.

Interesting that the only person getting abuse here is the recipient of tax income via housing subsidies, yet we seem to have no problem with people defrauding the revenue. Peculiar Irish thing, maybe?

People love to punch down ;)

I digress and of course you are right the thread has gone off track. It's not abuse btw just conversation. We're all big boys and girls here, eh i think :D

• Advertisement

I do have a problem with that too as I have alread said. I'd love to solve it by moving to a cashless society.

Advertisement