Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone paying tax?

Options
  • 15-12-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Over the last 12 months, I've had a fair bit of work done on the house involving various trades: plumber, carpenter, painter, etc.

Each and every one insisted on being paid in cash. no invoice, nothing. whatever about the morality of it, the annual income tax returns for these people must make interesting reading. How much is actually being declared for tax? Or is it something else that I'm missing.

This isn't a rant or begrudgery, I'm just intrigued about how widespread it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah it’s rampant, if you insist on a VAT receipt you can add 30% onto your bill. No one wants to pay more so it’s a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What else can you expect when people like you want it done cheaper than it actually costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know one neighbour who's a stickler for rules who refuses to pay trades people in cash. It's cheque or bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

When I'm asked for cash I always insist on 20% off if they don't want to give a receipt. No one doesn't want to get paid, so it's a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always wondered how big this grey economy is?

Must be large percentage. Again if all these folk and all the huge companies paid their tax properly then how much better would our schools, hospitals, roads, etc be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Giving it to working people or for the wasters in government to squander on themselves or wasters, tough choice... I pay everything cash, tips , mechanics hairdressers etc, trades people etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Giving it go working people or for the wasters in government to squander on themselves or wasters, tough choice... I pay everything cash, tips , mechanics hairdressers etc, trades people etc...

Knowingly facilitating tax evasion is as bad as tax evasion itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Cash work is not just about tax avoidance. You’d be shocked to know the number of people who get in trades to do something and think it’s fine to haggle with them over the price at the end cause they spent too much on something during the work, or worse, never pay them. It’s nigh on impossible to get paid, the trades people have no recourse and can’t enter the property and remove work. Cheques take time to clear, and people won’t pay upfront, it’s a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fúck the moralising - if i can get the work done cheaper for cash, i'm fine with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

screamer wrote: »
    Cash work is not just about tax avoidance. You’d be shocked to know the number of people who get in trades to do something and think it’s fine to haggle with them over the price at the end cause they spent too much on something during the work, or worse, never pay them. It’s nigh on impossible to get paid, the trades people have no recourse and can’t enter the property and remove work. Cheques take time to clear, and people won’t pay upfront, it’s a catch 22.

Exactly
    A lot of trades insist on cash to protect themselves from the dicks who won't pay them.
    Invoicing and giving 30 days to pay or a cheque or a bank transfer all open to abuse.
    The amount of people and companies who don't pay their bills is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Yeah it’s rampant, if you insist on a VAT receipt you can add 30% onto your bill. No one wants to pay more so it’s a catch 22.

Why would you insist on the VAT receipt unless you could claim it back?

Alternatively, the guy who did the work would put the VAT through the books and it would go towards a possible vat refund for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Yes, I'm paying loads of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Fúck the moralising - if i can get the work done cheaper for cash, i'm fine with that!

You are right, sure who needs hospitals, transport, community health, street lighting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Pataman wrote: »
    You are right, sure who needs hospitals, transport, community health, street lighting etc

A lot of street lighting is only light pollution and can be done away with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Just to add, there are loads of cash businesses out there and you think they’re all accounting for every penny? Take aways, barbers and hairdressers, florists, corner shops, even GPs, hell I have to ask for a vat receipt for diesel. There’s plenty of tax evasion going on, but they’re gonna be caught out now cause this year, everyone paying by card, would be very easy for revenue to compare month on month annually, to see the figures from 19 v 20. I expect a lot of such places will be shut down or sold off before revenue and welfare catch up with them looking for audits and Covid supplements to be repaid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Giving it go working people or for the wasters in government to squander on themselves or wasters, tough choice... I pay everything cash, tips , mechanics hairdressers etc, trades people etc...

You've some neck. Every second thread on here you are giving out about dole spongers, welfare cheats etc.. and yet you are fine with tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Easy soundbite but not correct.

In my opinion the state has done a pretty good job keeping the pandemic mostly at bay. The schools are back and there has not been a major spike. Our state coffers are paying for all those people on the pandemic payments, the nurses, doctors, teachers, gardai as well as previous unemployment and social welfare commitments.

So to say that our taxes are wasted is incorrect. Of course the pay rises for top civil servants, judges etc is maddening but the vast majority of outlay is to the list above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Agreed. It is not the customers responsibility to ensure someone else pays their taxes correctly. if I were to pay a tradesman cash I would assume that they are declaring the income and paying the appropriate taxes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I know one neighbour who's a stickler for rules who refuses to pay trades people in cash. It's cheque or bank transfer.

We would be the same, always pay by cheque as we don’t keep large sums of cash in the house and always ask for a receipt, we always pay the extra 23%.

Some may say we’re mad to do it but we like everything above board.

My father dealt with a tradesman in France some years ago who was going around charging everyone vat and invoicing them, it then turned out he wasn’t passing the vat on to the tax man, the officials went around interviewing previous customers to see if they were complicit in the fraud and to build a better case against the tradesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Pataman wrote: »

You know what else i need? Food, clothes, heating and so on. I pay enough tax as it is, it's not my responsibility to ensure every plumber and builder does so too.

If i can get the work done more cheaply, and keep more of my already taxed wages for my own use and my families use i am quite happy to do so.

Whatever i spend that money on will no doubt be taxed again taxed anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

What the revenue do is just scare people into compliance.

Take grinds, for example, pick a teacher, any teacher, and hammer them for non tax payment on grind money. Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Make a big song and dance about it in the media. Teacher earned 5K per year for the last 15 years on grinds, interest, tax and penalties, say 200K.

Wouldn't be long getting everyone in line :-)

Anyone with any experience of the revenue knows they are the most efficient branch of the CS (the bar is fairly low). Surprised they haven't gone down this road

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Over the last 12 months, I've had a fair bit of work done on the house involving various trades: plumber, carpenter, painter, etc.

Each and every one insisted on being paid in cash. no invoice, nothing. whatever about the morality of it, the annual income tax returns for these people must make interesting reading. How much is actually being declared for tax? Or is it something else that I'm missing.

This isn't a rant or begrudgery, I'm just intrigued about how widespread it is.

i hired a solicitor for a motoring summons, and when she saw the cash in my wallet she said i'd hardly want to pay VAT on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hospitals education roads etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Like taxi drivers they only declare the bare minimum, like 14k or whatever the amount to get away with paying little or no tax is.

Foolish not to do it when you're able to get away with it, huge money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Backfired on a lot of folk when the pandemic hit.

I remember listening to a guy moaning on RTE radio about how the payment he was getting when out of work at the 1st lockdown wasnt enough, but it was clear he obviously wasn't declaring his real income to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

But then you have mo proof that X did Y work for you and if the boiler leaks or the pipe bursts, how are you going to prove who messed up the work?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭thebourke

if everybody paid the proper level of tax in this country...maybe we could have money for the things we need...like proper infrastructure..hospitals.. water supply...flooding defences...environment.etc..etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But then you have mo proof that X did Y work for you and if the boiler leaks or the pipe bursts, how are you going to prove who messed up the work?

You let them know you'll be having a chat with revenue if they don't fix the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

thebourke wrote: »
    if everybody paid the proper level of tax in this country...maybe we could have money for the things we need...like proper infrastructure..hospitals.. water supply...flooding defences...environment.etc..etc....

This is why I'm in favour of doing away with cash. But don't trust the banks to manage everything we need a current account offered by the gov with no fees and no extras either.

While everyone else is doing it I'm not going to be a fool and be the only one following the rules.

Advertisement