Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone paying tax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

salonfire wrote: »
    Wait till you hear what was proposed this week that will cost another two Children's Hospitals, with overruns, within next 10 years. You'll pass out with rage!

Spending in public sector pay is going to cost an extra billion per year.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of billion on a Hospital that will last the next 100 years. To pay the larges of the public sector will cost us the equivalent of the Hospital every three/four years forever.

a billion is quite small given the vast amount of work that the public sector is involved in, and the amount of staff needed to insure the work is done.
    and even then parts of it are understaffed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

What corruption is involved in the NCH please?

3.4 billion eu for a hospital is a scam. No two ways about it. And no, being 'legal' doesnt mean its not a scam. Land scams are the most prolific and legal ways of scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

a billion is quite small given the vast amount of work that the public sector is involved in, and the amount of staff needed to insure the work is done.
    and even then parts of it are understaffed.

Oh, ok. So you agree the outrage of a billion at the Children's Hospital is neither here nor there.

Oh, ok. So you agree the outrage of a billion at the Children's Hospital is neither here nor there.

no, i don't agree or disagree that the genuine concern about a billion over the children's hospital is neither here nor there because i don't know whether it is or isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,718 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

3.4 billion eu for a hospital is a scam. No two ways about it. And no, being 'legal' doesnt mean its not a scam. Land scams are the most prolific and legal ways of scamming.

Where did you get the €3.4 billion figure from?

• Advertisement

Where did you get the €3.4 billion figure from?

it was on RTE news - it will cost an extra 1.4 billion on top of what it already cost now.

Its a scam. Follow the paper trail. Someone somewhere owns a shell company that holds stock in BAM or someone goes golfing with an executive. Its such blatant corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wait till you hear what was proposed this week that will cost another two Children's Hospitals, with overruns, within next 10 years. You'll pass out with rage!

Spending in public sector pay is going to cost an extra billion per year.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of billion on a Hospital that will last the next 100 years. To pay the larges of the public sector will cost us the equivalent of the Hospital every three/four years forever.

And that right there is the reason I will continue to work for cash and also pay others in cash wherever possible .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Allinall wrote: »
    Knowingly facilitating tax evasion is as bad as tax evasion itself.

Nonsense... If the government actually spent tax revenues properly instead of pissing most of it away then I'd agree with you.

They don't, so I disagree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

no, i don't agree or disagree that the genuine concern about a billion over the children's hospital is neither here nor there because i don't know whether it is or isn't.

But you said a billion is a small amount so who cares about a couple of billion on a Hospital that will last for next 100 years.

To put it in context with increases in PS pay with nothing in return, the Hospital is peanuts.

Keyzer wrote: »
    Nonsense... If the government actually spent tax revenues properly instead of pissing most of it away then I'd agree with you.

They don't, so I disagree 100%.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/children-in-need-of-mri-under-general-anaesthesia-waiting-4-7-years-1.4425901

What are they doing with the tens of billions a year?

Children waiting up to 7 Years for an mri scan under anaesthetic in crumblin hospital
    A new mri machine costs 1 million euro. A pittance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Vestiapx wrote: »
    She has her own prsi credit but he has her personal credit and her cut off.

Correct :D gotta love the tax man

it was on RTE news - it will cost an extra 1.4 billion on top of what it already cost now.

Its a scam. Follow the paper trail. Someone somewhere owns a shell company that holds stock in BAM or someone goes golfing with an executive. Its such blatant corruption.

Are you sure you got your figures right? If you can find a report from RTE or anywhere else saying €3.4 billion then post the link. Otherwise don't make up figures in your head and then call it a scam.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1117/1178825-childrens-hospital-health-committee/

'Considerable pressures' on National Children's Hospital construction budget, committee hears
    Updated / Wednesday, 18 Nov 2020 23:17
    The current cost of the project is estimated to be around €1.7bn after an initial estimate of €650m

Cost overruns and delays in completion are recognised phenomena in public projects worldwide. Example new Berlin Airport 3 times over original budget and 10 years late. Britain's HS2 rail project is over budget and behind schedule already. There is research on this subject which can be found online, and Ireland is far from being unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If you have the money available, it has already been taxed at 20% or 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/children-in-need-of-mri-under-general-anaesthesia-waiting-4-7-years-1.4425901

What are they doing with the tens of billions a year?

Children waiting up to 7 Years for an mri scan under anaesthetic in crumblin hospital
    A new mri machine costs 1 million euro. A pittance.

Agreed
    And if a few lads more paid their taxes, we could fund more scanners

If you have the money available, it has already been taxed at 20% or 40%

Some people don't pay any income tax on their earnings. And in every case a good portion of earnings is not taxable. The remainder is what is taxed at 20% or 40%.

Agreed
    And if a few lads more paid their taxes, we could fund more scanners

Oh the money is there. 9th best funded healthcare system in Europe but one of the worst performing. The accountability and value isn't.

No thanks. Did you ever hear the phrase no point in throwing good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If it's blatant, surely you can give more details that 'someone'? And if it's a shell company, won't the ownership be a matter of public record, so surely you can find those details. Who is corrupt here - the Minister, or the last Minister, or the one before him, or the one before him? Or is it some or all of the people on the project board? Or the other experts on the board who recommended the St James site? Where is the blatant corruption that you know of?

I don't know what you mean by 'land scams', given that the NCH is being built on what was already public land. What kind of scam did you have in mind here?

Some people don't pay any income tax on their earnings. And in every case a good portion of earnings is not taxable. The remainder is what is taxed at 20% or 40%.

It's worth remembering that income tax is just one of many taxes paid by many people. If you're going to look at who paid what, look at the full picture.

I

It's worth remembering that income tax is just one of many taxes paid by many people. If you're going to look at who paid what, look at the full picture.

I was responding to the post which said 20% and 40%, and I read that to be a reference to income tax on earnings. I do know about other levies on wages, and various taxes and charges on other asset classes, but I wanted to be specific to the topic in the post.

But you said a billion is a small amount so who cares about a couple of billion on a Hospital that will last for next 100 years.

To put it in context with increases in PS pay with nothing in return, the Hospital is peanuts.

nope, what i said was that a billion in the context of the public sector, the work they have to do and the staffing requirements to do the work, is a small amount of money.
    i never mentioned the hospital at all nor made my statements in the context of the hospital,

which you will know given you read the post.

• Advertisement

There are people here who are being stolen 3.4 billion euros in tax payer money by oligarchs that have ties with multinational companies, and wil continue to defend said oligarchs by appealing to their authority

ITS LEGAL THEREFORE ITS NOT A SCAM!! SEE ITS ALL PUBLIC!!!

Scams based on land and property is literally what caused the global recession of 2008. It happens because its legal and ratified by various authoritative bodies, who are also bloody corrupt.

I mean jesus christ. In what f*cking world is 3 billion for a hospital not a scam?

The bootlicking is actually palpable. Party leaders could steal the shirt off your child's back and you'd defend them because its 'legal'

There are people here who are being stolen 3.4 billion euros in tax payer money by oligarchs that have ties with multinational companies, and wil continue to defend said oligarchs by appealing to their authority

Scams based on land and property is literally what caused the global recession of 2008. It happens because its legal and ratified by various authoritative bodies, who are also bloody corrupt.

I mean jesus christ. In what f*cking world is 3 billion for a hospital not a scam?

The bootlicking is actually palpable. Party leaders could steal the shirt off your child's back and you'd defend them because its 'legal'

It's not any old hospital. It's the most expensive children's hospital on the planet. Plus they built it in the wrong place.

This country will be some craic if the golden goose multinationals ever did decide to leave.

Going on a rant doesn't disguise your blatant fake news.

Going on a rant doesn't disguise your blatant false news.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/cost-of-national-childrens-hospital-to-balloon-beyond-143bn-and-may-not-open-until-2024-39764407.html

Oh right sorry.

Its a scam mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_buildings

HahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Are you telling me a hospital is more expensive than every palace/parliament/executive/trade centers/central bank in the world?

Its a scam.

a 3 billion euro hospital is a scam.

I dont care how much you try to appeal to it being 'legal'

Its a scam.

Again, can you clarify where you got your €3.4. billion quote from, because it looks like you doubled the last published estimate?

And again, can you please clarify who is corrupt in this development?

Again, can you clarify where you got your €3.4. billion quote from, because it looks like you doubled the last published estimate?

Its legal guys trust me. 3 billion for a hospital is not a scam! Theres no corruption! That price is perfectly fine and fair! Theres no scam at all! Its perfectly standard to pay 3 billion for a 3 storey hospital!

Hahahahahhahah youre telling me a hospital is more expensive than these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_the_Parliament

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taipei_101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Palace

BAM is laughing all the way to the bank. The fact that there are people who are taxpaying citizens here actually DEFENDING a 3 billion eu hospital is the funniest take away from this.

This is why things will never change. Just keep paying your taxes like a good boy.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/cost-of-national-childrens-hospital-to-balloon-beyond-143bn-and-may-not-open-until-2024-39764407.html

Oh right sorry.

Its a scam mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_buildings

HahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Are you telling me a hospital is more expensive than every palace/parliament/executive/trade centers/central bank in the world?

Its a scam.

a 3 billion euro hospital is a scam.

I dont care how much you try to appeal to it being 'legal'

Its a scam.

Looking at your wikipedia link there. The next nearest cost hospital is in adelaide, Australia. It has 800 beds. The hospital in Dublin is at least 600m more expensive but has 473 beds. But it does have 14 gardens and courtyards! Gardens are more important than beds in a hospital .

Its legal guys trust me. 3 billion for a hospital is not a scam! Theres no corruption! That price is perfectly fine and fair! Theres no scam at all! Its perfectly standard to pay 3 billion for a 3 storey hospital!

BAM is laughing all the way to the bank. The fact that there are people who are taxpaying citizens here actually DEFENDING a 3 billion eu hospital is the funniest take away from this.

This is why things will never change. Just keep paying your taxes like a good boy.

It's a very good deal. Just came down from €3.4 billion to €3 billion.

Again

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

You can never get cash jobs the builder could just walk away with your money

Advertisement