Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone paying tax?

Options

Comments

Antares35 wrote: »
    And presumably you used the courts. Thank you for proving my point. Can we move on now please. Yawn.

BTW Nice edit, unfortunately I'm not responsible for you deciding to read in some meaning into my post that simply wasn't there.

I only edited for clarification purposes, which, as far I am aware, is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I only edited for clarification purposes, which, as far I am aware, is allowed.

You edited it to tell me that my original post said something which it, quite simply, did not. Look I think you're kind of arguing with yourself at this point. We all know that courts can and do make garnishee and attachment of earnings orders. We also know this is not a first instance remedy. I'm sorry if you think my post suggested it is.

Really think we should leave it there now :)

You edited it to tell me that my original post said something which it, quite simply, did not. Look I think you're kind of arguing with yourself at this point. We all know that courts can and do make garnishee and attachment of earnings orders. We also know this is not a first instance remedy. I'm sorry if you think my post suggested it is.

Really think we should leave it there now :)

I clarified my post so it was not misleading to anyone reading.
    We all know that courts can and do make garnishee and attachment of earnings orders. We also know this is not a first instance remedy. I'm sorry if you think my post suggested it is.

Clearly it is not true to say that "we all know" the details in relation to the making of maintenance and/or attachment orders, and I'd go as far as to say its a bit presumptuous to assume that.

Misleading information in relation to single parents and/or family law is a particular bugbear of mine, so i will correct misleading information where I see it.

So now, I'll leave it there. Go ahead, and have the last word if you really feel you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nope if they had to pay higher tax they wouldn’t be here

In less than two weeks, Ireland will be the only EU country that gives west coast US companies a two hour overlap within the normal working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In less than two weeks, Ireland will be the only EU country that gives west coast US companies a two hour overlap within the normal working day.

Portugal is on the same clock as us?

• Advertisement

Nope if they had to pay higher tax they wouldn’t be here

I often wondered, what if it increased a bit so we benefitted from that but was till kept low enough that it was an incentive to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

rdwight wrote: »
    Last plumber I said this to said it wasn't worth his while doing the job if it was going through books. I paid cash.
    Did you haggle on the price

The price he quoted was the cash price. There was no through-the-books price because he wasn't going to do job if not cash.

Apart from this small job I organised a couple of bigger jobs in the last couple of years with different "respectable" trades firms (had web presence, van with name and landline, members of trade guilds etc). In both cases I was given a one quote and then quoted a siginificantly lower price for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Me -worked 39 hours this week - got paid €400 and tax man took €150.. don’t even know if it’s worth me working 😭😭😭😭

Me -worked 39 hours this week - got paid €400 and tax man took €150.. don’t even know if it’s worth me working 😭😭😭😭

That sounds like an awful lot. Are you sure you're on the right tax credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

That sounds like an awful lot. Are you sure you're on the right tax credits?

I am - hubby is a high earner so this is my money - he pays a lot on tax, like a lot.. Jesus the life we’d live if we didn’t have to pay so much in tax

• Advertisement

I am - hubby is a high earner so this is my money - he pays a lot on tax, like a lot.. Jesus the life we’d live if we didn’t have to pay so much in tax

Yeah but then we wouldn't have that one free dental clean a year to look forward to that we could otherwise never afford :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

Is he PAYE or self employed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

mulbot wrote: »
    Is he PAYE or self employed

Do you have his PPS number handy? And what’s your own maiden name, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

KiKi III wrote: »
    Do you have his PPS number handy? And what’s your own maiden name, just out of interest?

What

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The vat is included in original price, when I give people the price the majority off them ask for a cash price, I then say it is a cash price and tell them vat is plus, if they agree to original price without asking for cash price I just let it roll and write my invoice, either way I'm covered, they think they're getting a deal and everyone is happy
    Ah right so them just pay the VAT?

I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Me -worked 39 hours this week - got paid €400 and tax man took €150.. don’t even know if it’s worth me working ��������

Doesn't sound right (or did you just spell taxi man wrong:D)

I guessed you're single and under 65 and put your details into deloittes tax calculator. You should have come out with €379 after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Doesn't sound right (or did you just spell taxi man wrong:D)

I guessed you're single and under 65 and put your details into deloittes tax calculator. You should have come out with €379 after tax.

Her husband probably uses all her tax credits and cut off points. So anything she earns is on the full higher rate....

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Country would be a bleak and desolate place without tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

arctictree wrote: »
    Her husband probably uses all her tax credits and cut off points. So anything she earns is on the full higher rate....

She has her own prsi credit but he has her personal credit and her cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Country would be a bleak and desolate place without tax.
    I disagree, it would be a greater place with less tax and more optimization.
    We could easily shave millions off the HSE bill and billions off the DSP bill. But of course because of unions and populist politicians it will never happen.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    I disagree, it would be a greater place with less tax and more optimization.
    We could easily shave millions off the HSE bill and billions off the DSP bill. But of course because of unions and populist politicians it will never happen.

Ah that didnt take long did it? Private medicine, works great for the people in the US where doctors are wealthy.

Throw in education as well while you are at it.

And as for those unions, lets start with the largest unions that like to take industrial action, both are private sector though so that might not work out for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Ah that didnt take long did it? Private medicine, works great for the people in the US where doctors are wealthy.

Throw in education as well while you are at it.

And as for those unions, lets start with the largest unions that like to take industrial action, both are private sector though so that might not work out for ya

Yes, glad you agree with his point. Private healthcare is fantastic and I know for a fact you would use it if you have it rather than wait for a HSE appointment.

You're right unions should have no place in a democratic society. There are laws and procedures in place to ensure workers are not treated unfairly or put in danger.

The life indeed - no schools, no publicly funded healthcare (the ones that pick up the tab when the private healthcare institutions have stopped cherrypicking the manageable cases), no parks, no roads, no controls on the products on the shelf.
    salonfire wrote: »
    You're right unions should have no place in a democratic society. There are laws and procedures in place to ensure workers are not treated unfairly or put in danger.

Can we assume that you don't enjoy any of the benefits that have been hard fought and hard earned by trade unions over the years - none of the extra public holidays or paid annual leave, none of the employment safety benefits, none of the unfair dismissal benefits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Pataman wrote: »
    You are right, sure who needs hospitals, transport, community health, street lighting etc

Did you hear about the children's hospital thats about to cost 3.4 billion euros?

Im actually surprised that people here are still willing to pay tax after such obvious corruption by the government. Actually really surprised people aren't storming Leinster house and stringing politicians up on gallows

Did you hear about the children's hospital thats about to cost 3.4 billion euros?

Im actually surprised that people here are still willing to pay tax after such obvious corruption by the government.

What corruption is involved in the NCH please?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes, glad you agree with his point. Private healthcare is fantastic and I know for a fact you would use it if you have it rather than wait for a HSE appointment.

private health care in ireland is decent yes, however, it only deals with the optional stuff, or the bits it wants, with the necessary and the bits they don't want sent to the HSE to deal with.
    there is a massive difference between it and a privatized health care system which would be a basket case.
    laws and procedures need enforcement, unions do this at no cost to the tax payer and the members who choose to be the union pay the costs associated with the activity.
    some employers do break those laws and procedures, hence the need for unions.
    oh and by the way, every single procedure and law and protection you have, you got because of trade unions, if it wasn't for them, you would have jot all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Can we assume that you don't enjoy any of the benefits that have been hard fought and hard earned by trade unions over the years - none of the extra public holidays or paid annual leave, none of the employment safety benefits, none of the unfair dismissal benefits?

We have advanced safety, standards and quality in food, transport, medical, the environment, justice, etc all without the input of unions. But you would think we'd still be sending children down t'mines 7 days a week with the same labour standards of the last century only for unions ? Because I don't.

And to answer your question: no. I have negotiated a substantial salary increase this year - meaning I am earning well above the minimum wage and I secured an increase in Annual Leave, leaving me 50% more AL than the minimum; without having to involve a union. I'm more than confident I could have negotiated weekends off as well as extra safety precautions if it came to that.

private health care in ireland is decent yes, however, it only deals with the optional stuff, or the bits it wants, with the necessary and the bits they don't want sent to the HSE to deal with.

That's a great idea!

Reduce the size of the HSE - leaving it with the bits Private Healthcare will not provide - thereby reducing the cost of the HSE and the amount of work it has to manage. Maybe then it might resemble a functioning entity proving emergency and basic care whilst the rest of us could receive actual healthcare rather than waiting on some list somewhere.

Or if your ideology is so important to you; for example, you continue to go blind on an HSE waiting list for cataracts while I will actually get treatment privately. Thanks for letting me skip ahead of you!!

Im actually surprised that people here are still willing to pay tax after such obvious corruption by the government. Actually really surprised people aren't storming Leinster house and stringing politicians up on gallows

Wait till you hear what was proposed this week that will cost another two Children's Hospitals, with overruns, within next 10 years. You'll pass out with rage!

Spending in public sector pay is going to cost an extra billion per year.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of billion on a Hospital that will last the next 100 years. To pay the larges of the public sector will cost us the equivalent of the Hospital every three/four years forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

We have advanced safety, standards and quality in food, transport, medical, the environment, justice, etc all without the input of unions. But you would think we'd still be sending children down t'mines 7 days a week with the same labour standards of the last century only for unions ? Because I don't.

And to answer your question: no. I have negotiated a substantial salary increase this year - meaning I am earning well above the minimum wage and I secured an increase in Annual Leave, leaving me 50% more AL than the minimum; without having to involve a union. I'm more than confident I could have negotiated weekends off as well as extra safety precautions if it came to that.

unions will have had input into standards and safety in transport. quite a lot of it in fact.
    you were able to negotiate what you were indirectly because of unions, because there are unions and unionised work places, other employers who may be non-unionised would like to keep their staff so may be willing to work with their employees so that they won't move elsewhere.

That's a great idea!

Reduce the size of the HSE - leaving it with the bits Private Healthcare will not provide - thereby reducing the cost of the HSE and the amount of work it has to manage. Maybe then it might resemble a functioning entity proving emergency and basic care whilst the rest of us could receive actual healthcare rather than waiting on some list somewhere.

Or if you're ideology is so important to you; for example, you continue to go blind on an HSE waiting list for cataracts while I will actually get treatment privately. Thanks for letting me skip ahead of you!!

the bits private health care don't want are the majority, so the HSE would still be left with the majority of issues hence no reduced bill or reduced
    anything.
    there is a reason most countries have a public health system in the public sector, because even with disfunction and mismanagement it still works out cheaper as a whole.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement