Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone paying tax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The same folks doing all cash in hand work will be the first on Liveline to tell Joe its a disgrace that their disabled niece cant get any services.

Revenue are only getting better at their job over time. Soon itll be quite easy for ML to detect this. Hopefully jail a few to set an example.

Interesting question:

Plumber goes to work on a house, tells homeowner its cash in hand. In Dublin what are the odds that homeowner works for Revenue? Its not a small department....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People can give Revenue some help by reporting the shadow economy activity.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

You know what else i need? Food, clothes, heating and so on. I pay enough tax as it is, it's not my responsibility to ensure every plumber and builder does so too.

If i can get the work done more cheaply, and keep more of my already taxed wages for my own use and my families use i am quite happy to do so.

Whatever i spend that money on will no doubt be taxed again taxed anyway!

That's a very short sighted view. Have you considered the knock on effects?

Why are people assuming that cash payments means no tax declared or a cheaper rate?

I don't agree a payment method in advance and cash or card isn't changing the agreed rate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm reminded of the time a number of years ago where revenue said an unusual number of taxi drivers were reporting annual earnings of €11k.
    Revenue isn't stupid. They look at the same businesses and compare against the sector. I once worked for an employer who had an audit, he actually came out with a clean bill of health but he told me the tax inspector even went through the wastepaper bins during the visit looking for anything that might suggest something out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I love the feel of 20 or 30 crisp 50 euro notes in my pocket

Mules wrote: »
    Perhaps but the 'don't rat' thing is well ingrained in me

I'll half agree with you, Mules. Its not wrong to report fraud where you are 100% certain it exists.

But I always amazed by the level of intimate knowledge others claim to have of how other family's manage their finances.

There are legitimate options available to couples who decide to cohabitate, e.g. WFP, or even claiming as a couple. You don't have to be married to do either of these.

I'd want to be 100% sure of my facts before reporting anyone to DEASP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Any work i get done is a cash job, cheaper for me and its none of my business what the man I get to do the job does with it aferwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

A very confusing thread, is it about single mothers or painters not paying tax

It's about painters not declaring income so don't have to pay maintenance for their kids to the single mothers that live in mansions funded by those who pay tax ;)

• In all fairness collecting payments in cash doesn’t = tax evasion, it could literally just be saving themselves hassle of someone not paying, which happens a LOT.

That’s not to mention the fees for processing cheques (like honestly, cheques in 2020) and even bank transfers.

Jaysus it says a lot that someone asks for cash, most likely for their own security and to ensure they actually get paid & we all assume they’re dodging their taxes.

• Advertisement

• wonski wrote: »
    It's about painters not declaring income so don't have to pay maintenance for their kids to the single mothers that live in mansions funded by those who pay tax ;)

Not sure what world you’re living in whereby you think council properties are anything close to mansions.

I'll half agree with you, Mules. Its not wrong to report fraud where you are 100% certain it exists.

But I always amazed by the level of intimate knowledge others claim to have of how other family's manage their finances.

There are legitimate options available to couples who decide to cohabitate, e.g. WFP, or even claiming as a couple. You don't have to be married to do either of these.

I'd want to be 100% sure of my facts before reporting anyone to DEASP.

It was because they were so sure of multiple frauds that I gave them the method to report it.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My painter friends are divils for it. All cash jobs. Drink with one of them most weekends for years and never once seen him use a bank card.
    Other tradesmen I know do it a bit less due to insurance etc, the electricians I know don't do it at all due to regulations, certifications etc

Doesn't bother me in the slightest though, let them at it. They all spend their money every week and aren't shy in doing so, so it goes on vat and excise on diesel, pints and they spend it in local shops keeping people in jobsetc.

I know its not the same but fire away lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not sure what world you’re living in whereby you think council properties are anything close to mansions.

That's what I've heard...

Just summarising the thread for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

People are thick though and don't even understand the impact of getting cash in certain positions.

My wife's friends is a hairdresser and earns X per day and the balance of her wage is paid in cash plus tips.

She is only part time and receives lone parent whilst she actually lives with the partner (he works and is PAYE so pays tax earning less than 33k) in his grandmothers house while the will is in probate rent free too.

Anyway few issues,

part of her daily wage is cash
    Tips also are not declared and paid in cash
    Receiving lone parent and is actually with the partner

I was chatting to them both about getting a mortgage over a drink and they won't get anything from the bank given their earnings as a group so are trying the council one (rebuilding Ireland or whatever its called now )

She kept saying that the guy ''in the council '' was saying she cant include the cash, tips or lone parent on the forms for obvious reasons as part of her total income therefore potential loan/mortgage amount is less.

Her response to me

''But sure I am earning it, I gets it every week it's just cash, Im earning it ''

She could not grasp the fact she wasn't paying any tax, not declaring it OR how the lone parent shouldn't be claimed because she felt she is "entitled to it" because she is only part and not making much

I was literally dumbing it down and was saying that her cash and tips is like invisible money in the eyes of banks, revenue etc

Now, I could call her a tax dodger for the cash and tips situation or I could blame her employer

I honestly blame her employer for taking advantage of her ignorance to finance, tax and the impacts of making her get wages in cash

On the other hand, there is complete tax dodgers and they know what they are doing eg the employer

Lone parent isn't on and I let her know that but sure in one ear out the other

People can be clueless themselves

It was because they were so sure of multiple frauds that I gave them the method to report it.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

If you're 100% sure a fraud is being committed, then report away. I don't have a problem with that.

My point is, be very sure of your facts before you do. But unless someone has told you something directly that leads you to believe they are defrauding, don't assume they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd love a good spliffeen tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Fúck the moralising - if i can get the work done cheaper for cash, i'm fine with that!

Would you be the same fella who'd be on a separate thread complaining about there not being enough money for nurses, roads, childcare, etc, etc... ;)

If you're 100% sure a fraud is being committed, then report away. I don't have a problem with that.

My point is, be very sure of your facts before you do. But unless someone has told you something directly that leads you to believe they are defrauding, don't assume they are.

I don't assume anything. I was responding to the poster who claims to know a number of Lone Parent claimants who are doing a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

screamer wrote: »
    Just to add, there are loads of cash businesses out there and you think they’re all accounting for every penny? Take aways, barbers and hairdressers, florists, corner shops, even GPs, hell I have to ask for a vat receipt for diesel. ............Join the Chinese community. In all my years, I have yet to use a Chinese restaurant for takeaways that allowed the use of cards. Only when you booked a table for dinner and even then some of them tried it on. In the last two months, I've used the services of a builder, an electrician and a wall insulation company and all three had no problem with taking a card.One guy had to call back to finish a job and he took cash but otherwise,no problem with receipts.

• Advertisement

Local indian in cork EVERY SINGLE time I ring in a collection (some people may even recognise it)

''Can you bring cash our card machine is not working properly ''

I turn up with bank card everytime , and pay perfectly fine

It's like their script at this stage

• A lot of takeaways won’t take cards because the fees aren’t worth it in my experience. Responding to post above me, the quote went sideways so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

A chap was doing a job for me recently, total cost €2250, asked about a cash discount, told me €2100 so €150 off, told me that it's a lot harder to do cash jobs as revenue are on the ball, he's registered, insured etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Funny thing is people think they're getting a discount when they ask how much for cash.

They aren't.

All these lads overprice to begin with, then the customer thinks they are getting it cheap because its cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Not in this country its not.

Not unless there is a established history of defaulting on payments, followed by a failure to enforce, followed by a failure to pay arrears, followed by an application for an attachment of earnings order, (for which you must know where the defaulter works) and if granted (which is rare) the order is made on the employer of the defaulter to deduct at source and transfer to the courts. Not the defaultee themself.

If the defaultee changes jobs, the order doesn't follow, and the whole process has to start again. There is no automatic garnishing of salary by the courts.

Maintenance is also means tested based on "affordability" not actual costs.

Yes, it is, which I why I said "by the courts" ie one has to get it enforced by the courts in the event of default.

I was wondering about this lately too. I am sure most tradies declare all (or most) of their income, but how would Revenue ever know if they did a job for a few hundred or a couple grand in cash and never declared it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

A lot of takeaways won’t take cards because the fees aren’t worth it in my experience. Responding to post above me, the quote went sideways so.

Our local takeaway is cash only..I always just assumed it was to facilitate tax evasion tbh!

A lot of takeaways won’t take cards because the fees aren’t worth it in my experience. Responding to post above me, the quote went sideways so.

I only accept cash for that reason. I can't be bothered with a card machine.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Our local takeaway is cash only..I always just assumed it was to facilitate tax evasion tbh!

Let's be honest, the excuse is the % of fees charged on the bank cards is the reason for cash payments but everyone knows those cash payments aren't being reported 100% of the time anyway

' I want cash because visa charge 5% or whatever therefore I won't report the cash''

Always the old , taxis , take aways, barbers and so on

Blame the merchants as the reason for cash only but they ain't reporting the cash anyway

• Advertisement

wally1990 wrote: »
    People are thick though and don't even understand the impact of getting cash in certain positions.

My wife's friends is a hairdresser and earns X per day and the balance of her wage is paid in cash plus tips.

She is only part time and receives lone parent whilst she actually lives with the partner (he works and is PAYE so pays tax earning less than 33k) in his grandmothers house while the will is in probate rent free too.

Anyway few issues,

part of her daily wage is cash
    Tips also are not declared and paid in cash
    Receiving lone parent and is actually with the partner

I was chatting to them both about getting a mortgage over a drink and they won't get anything from the bank given their earnings as a group so are trying the council one (rebuilding Ireland or whatever its called now )

She kept saying that the guy ''in the council '' was saying she cant include the cash, tips or lone parent on the forms for obvious reasons as part of her total income therefore potential loan/mortgage amount is less.

Her response to me

''But sure I am earning it, I gets it every week it's just cash, Im earning it ''

She could not grasp the fact she wasn't paying any tax, not declaring it OR how the lone parent shouldn't be claimed because she felt she is "entitled to it" because she is only part and not making much

I was literally dumbing it down and was saying that her cash and tips is like invisible money in the eyes of banks, revenue etc

Now, I could call her a tax dodger for the cash and tips situation or I could blame her employer

I honestly blame her employer for taking advantage of her ignorance to finance, tax and the impacts of making her get wages in cash

On the other hand, there is complete tax dodgers and they know what they are doing eg the employer

Lone parent isn't on and I let her know that but sure in one ear out the other

People can be clueless themselves

Wow, so she somehow isn't getting that...you know...being able to show you actually get paid x on a payslip is kind of going to help more when it comes to the bank than showing less than she actually gets?! Maybe you can explain it like that :)

Advertisement