Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Max's first Monaco was great craic. Vettel was leading and came up to lap Max, once Seb did so Max just followed him as he lapped 3 other cars ahead, tried it on Grosjean and ended up in the barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The idea of teams buying lots of parts from each other doesn’t sit well with me in general. It seems like it’s cementing a two tier grid.

But given that it’s the reality, I’m happy to see Williams buy the Mercedes gearbox. It shows the notions Williams had about themselves to think they could seriously design a better gearbox for the Mercedes engine than Mercedes could. They seem to be accepting the reality of their reduced status

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The idea of teams buying lots of parts from each other doesn’t sit well with me in general. It seems like it’s cementing a two tier grid.

But given that it’s the reality, I’m happy to see Williams buy the Mercedes gearbox. It shows the notions Williams had about themselves to think they could seriously design a better gearbox for the Mercedes engine than Mercedes could. They seem to be accepti6ng the reality of their reduced status

I also don't like the fact that the 'b teams' could end up using last year's parts. I think if you are supplying a part to multiple teams then the option should be there to buy the latest parts. The team that makes the parts has a huge advantage of the knowledge and design of the parts as is and they could have made huge improvements over the course of a year.

On the flip side some of the 'b teams' are getting upgrades for 2021 without using tokens, which also makes a mockery of the token rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

recyclebin wrote: »
    I also don't like the fact that the 'b teams' could end up using last year's parts. I think if you are supplying a part to multiple teams then the option should be there to buy the latest parts. The team that makes the parts has a huge advantage of the knowledge and design of the parts as is and they could have made huge improvements over the course of a year.

On the flip side some of the 'b teams' are getting upgrades for 2021 without using tokens, which also makes a mockery of the token rules.

I thought that was stipulated, that you have to offer up to date parts

Yeah the token system is not doing itself any favours. Some teams spending most of its tokens on integrating a new engine is silly. And customer teams upgrades coming up with the rations isn’t sensible either.

B-teams getting extra tokens is good as it generally helps b-teams to catch up. But I don’t think we really want b-teams to begin with.

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    I thought that was stipulated, that you have to offer up to date parts

You’re right for the engine (and presumably the gearbox, as they’re a package). Not sure about other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

:mad:

Imagine last year had been like that with teams using last years parts and Alfa would have had the 2019 Ferrari engine with Ferrari having there 2020 engine. That would have been very interesting and maybe even bad as Alfa would have been potentially fighting at the front with Mercedes. Can you just imagine that? That really would have spiced the season up Kimi and Giovinnazi fighting at the front.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ELM327 wrote: »
    F1 2020 gameplay :D

It's a very fun track to knock out a lap on, and chasing someone through the whole first sector esp after the carousel corner is mighty, but it's so narrow and overtaking opportunities are limited, it will be a processional race where maybe you gain via under/overcut but other than that it would be very limited

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's a very fun track to knock out a lap on, and chasing someone through the whole first sector esp after the carousel corner is mighty, but it's so narrow and overtaking opportunities are limited, it will be a processional race where maybe you gain via under/overcut but other than that it would be very limited

And a computer game like f12021, the AI (which is particularly bad in that game compared to other driver sims) can only predict so much and not what a living and breathing driver would do

Ms

Just seen the Cyril Abbitbol has left Renault. Not sure if I should be happy or sad. I wonder who will replace him?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Cyril Abiteboul has left Renault. Might be a good thing for the team because they've consistently underachieved during his tenure. Under new leadership and new branding, and with Alonso on board, it might give them a bit of impetus to start pushing further up the grid. In reality there is no chance of that immediately, with the locked down rules and tokens ensuring nothing can change in the pecking order next year, but hopefully when the new rules do eventually come in it's a chance to catch up.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/cyril-abiteboul-leaves-renault-alpine/4961628/

Yeah just read about it. Plans were for him to move but he's left completely now apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Joe devastated that she kept the baba
    Washyaha

tupenny wrote: »
    Joe devastated that she kept the baba
    Washyaha

#calljoe

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

AMKC wrote: »
    Just seen the Cyril Abbitbol has left Renault. Not sure if I should be happy or sad. I wonder who will replace him?

He’s due to be replaced by the guy who has ran the Suzuki MotoGP operation. Was reading articles around it at Renault/Alpine had made the move for him (at which time, any articles I read around it didn’t mention about what was to happen to Cyril, so one assumed he was due to move upstairs before he has obviously now decided to move aside.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/suzuki-brivio-departure-alpine-f1/4939136/

Ms

Well he could go to William's. I am sure they would not mind having him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

racersedge wrote: »
    He’s due to be replaced by the guy who has ran the Suzuki MotoGP operation. Was reading articles around it at Renault/Alpine had made the move for him (at which time, any articles I read around it didn’t mention about what was to happen to Cyril, so one assumed he was due to move upstairs before he has obviously now decided to move aside.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/suzuki-brivio-departure-alpine-f1/4939136/

Isn't Cyril moving to a different position within the Renault corporation?

*Edit I believe he is going to run the car division of Aipine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Isn't Cyril moving to a different position within the Renault corporation?
    Looks like that was the original plan, but now he's leaving entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He was set to be the team principal of Alpine as Renault introduced their high-performance division to the world of Formula 1, but Renault have now confirmed Abiteboul’s immediate departure with Rossi, Director of Strategy and Business Development of Groupe Renault, appointed to lead the Alpine brand and “take charge of Alpine Cars, Sport, F1 and competition activities”.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/cyril-abiteboul-leaves-renault/

Ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Alonso starting to flex his political muscles I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Top Dog wrote: »
    Looks like that was the original plan, but now he's leaving entirely

Carlos Tavares is in charge at Fiat/Peugeot and now that merger is going ahead. When Tavares was at Renault, Cyril was a protégé of his. I could see Cyril moving into a senior role there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think Mercedes will have ruined the enjoyment of the sport in Forumla e by then :pac:. McLaren arriving late to the party and having to spend quite a few years getting up to speed.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

skipper_G wrote: »
    It's not a confirmed entry, they just agreed an option to join for 22/23

No smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

Portimao to be confirmed for the tbc slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Last time there was an Australian GP in November was in 1994/1995 at Adelaide. I loved that track.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement