Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Verstappen has confirmed that he is dating Kvyats ex-wife, Kelly Piquet, daughter of Nelson Piquet!!! How weird is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

GarIT wrote: »
    It's interesting that people.were calling racing point Aston Martin before they became Aston Martin but don't call Renault Alpine.

I still find myself calling them Force India. Racing Point is just such an utterly forgettable name, though I think that was kind of the point as they wanted it to get out of the way of any future title sponsor easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Formula E has already had its opening race postponed.

This F1 season will likely be truncated same as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is it wrote: »
    Why is an F1 driver more deserving of their millions compared to a soccer player? You're worth what someone is willing to pay you, if that's 30k a year or 50m, so be it.

Because on F1 driver works harder and what they do is more dangerous and anyone can run around a field and kick a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Itching to see their car design.
    I'm looking forward to the Alpine F1 livery too. At least they should have a nice livery, unlike this horror:

BdU8WYmIYAAZ61Q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

AMKC wrote: »
    Because on F1 driver works harder and what they do is more dangerous and anyone can run around a field and kick a ball.

I disagree tbh. I'd say both are in the gym or training most week days. If it's based on danger there are so many millions of people in more dangerous careers

It comes down to exceptional talent and what the highest bidder is willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

Anyone can run around a field and kick a ball same as anyone can take their car to the nearest track and drive around it.

There's more to it than that and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't believe for a second you don't realise how ridiculous that statement is. If anyone could do it, we'd all be doing it. You don't play like Ronaldo at 35 because "anyone can run around a field." In that case, anyone can drive an F1 car, but can they do it like Seb, Max or Hamilton? No of course they can't, the same as they can't play like Messi, Ronaldo or Mbappe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the Alpine F1 livery too. At least they should have a nice livery, unlike this horror:

BdU8WYmIYAAZ61Q.jpg

Haven't Telefonica been confirmed as a sponsor too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Gintonious wrote: »
    Haven't Telefonica been confirmed as a sponsor too?

Was a joke on Spanish innocent day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Didn't Alonso always bring Telefonica sponsorship anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Tell that to all the retired footballers that are now dealing with dementia because of all the repeated head impacts.

Well that was there choice. No one asked them to header the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I read somewhere that Vettel's salary will be 1.5 million next season, but he will be paid a further 3 million to be Aston Martin's ambassador.

On the driver v footballer question; for me neither should be paid the sums they're being paid (well the multiple tens of millions anyway), however a F1 driver does represent and is the sole face of the team and all the sponsors, which themselves are major businesses (yes, there are two drivers in a team, but the big earners are usually THE face of the team). They are therefore in a position of higher responsibility than a footballer, who is just one in a whole squad. Ok, the Ronaldos and Messis will generate huge revenue for their clubs, but overall they are still relying on their team mates to some extent.

And don't get me started on the risk faced by an F1 driver over a footballer. Footballers don't risk their lives every time they go out to do what they do (though to see their reaction to a tackle you'd imagine they had been shot. Just look at what Neymar gets paid €40 million a year to do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1kJfTnHyo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well that was there choice. No one asked them to header the balls.

That’s just silly. It’s part of the job.

Pay isn’t about danger anyway. Waste and recycling is the most dangerous job in the uk, closely followed by agriculture. Neither are paid according to risk of death.

Jobs are paid in a combination of supply, demand and funds available. Hamilton is paid about 90 times as much as Gio. He’s not 90 times faster or at greater risk than Gio. But he’s the top driver. Demand for his services is high, supply is limited to one and his pay is worked out accordingly. Danger doesn’t really factor into it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Didn't Alonso always bring Telefonica sponsorship anyway?

Not at McLaren, and they really could have used it back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

I love both F1 and football but how exact does an F1 driver work harder?

In the gym or fitness wise? Not a chance

Using your logic of danger how much should Isle of Man bike racers get paid? 1000x more than F1 drivers.. most of them don't even get paid

I have setup a season prediction thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I have setup a season prediction thread here.

should be fun.
    is there a prize

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The M1 was closed today and I had to move over the M40

I just had to pull off at Silverstone and it turns out they were quick with the new sign being put up.

538189.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Italian Motorsports magazine are reporting Hamilton wants a 4 year contract with Merc, while they're only willing to do a 2 year deal.

Interestingly, we know definitely the Wolff is staying on for another 3 years, so I'd expect that Merc will end up agreeing a 3 year deal, or 2 year deal with option for additional years. Either way, it doesn't look like Hamilton will part ways for at least two years. So maybe in 2022, Bottas gets dropped for Russell and we'll have something to be entertained with.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Bahrain to to be the season opener on march 28th :mad:

Italian Motorsports magazine are reporting Hamilton wants a 4 year contract with Merc, while they're only willing to do a 2 year deal.

Interestingly, we know definitely the Wolff is staying on for another 3 years, so I'd expect that Merc will end up agreeing a 3 year deal, or 2 year deal with option for additional years. Either way, it doesn't look like Hamilton will part ways for at least two years. So maybe in 2022, Bottas gets dropped for Russell and we'll have something to be entertained with.

I think it’s just off-season gossip. I’ve read articles saying the Daimler top brass has vetoed Hamilton’s contract because he wanted $35m per year in a 3 year contract. And it said they don’t like Hamilton’s attitude and they’re looking at the possibility of replacing Hamilton with Russell.

That was The Express which is a terrible news source but I think when there’s no a actual news then they can say whatever they want and that’s what we’re seeing now. Hamilton will get his contract and he’ll be there for the next few years.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1379071/Lewis-Hamilton-Mercedes-George-Russell-F1-news

Honestly I'm surprised Hamilton wants to hang around that long.
    I'd also be surprised if Mercedes were willing to pay his fee for that long.
    At the end of the day I honestly think Hamilton has lost a bit of his edge. There's just something I can't quite put my finger on and if he had a teammate who could really challenge or another team were really putting it up against Mercedes I don't think he quite has it any more to really drive the extra tenth when it's needed on the odd lap here and there.
    Another handy season is coming up, for 2022 he'll be 37.
    Schumacher turned 37 before the 2006 season which have came up short in, obviously can blame the car. A nice coincidence, they both have their birthdays in early January. Doesn't quite work, Schumacher turned 36 before the disaster of 2005, don't think any of us expect the same to happen Mercedes this year.

I dunno, all opinion and conjecture.

Hopefully there will be more car launch dates announced soon.

Honestly I'm surprised Hamilton wants to hang around that long.
    I'd also be surprised if Mercedes were willing to pay his fee for that long.
    At the end of the day I honestly think Hamilton has lost a bit of his edge. There's just something I can't quite put my finger on and if he had a teammate who could really challenge or another team were really putting it up against Mercedes I don't think he quite has it any more to really drive the extra tenth when it's needed on the odd lap here and there.
    Another handy season is coming up, for 2022 he'll be 37.
    Schumacher turned 37 before the 2006 season which have came up short in, obviously can blame the car. A nice coincidence, they both have their birthdays in early January. Doesn't quite work, Schumacher turned 36 before the disaster of 2005, don't think any of us expect the same to happen Mercedes this year.

I dunno, all opinion and conjecture.

You can’t put your finger on it because there’s no evidence, only a wish.

He hasn’t had a challenger so he hasn’t been challenged. He has cruised to the last few championships and will cruise to the 2021 title. We don’t know if he still has the edge until it’s tested.

Age will catch up to him at some point, but we don’t know if it is affecting his performance at this stage. Bottas isn’t a real challenge to him so we’ll only find out if Russell can get a seat next to him or if Red Bull and Honda can make a huge step forward.

You can’t put your finger on it because there’s no evidence, only a wish.

He hasn’t had a challenger so he hasn’t been challenged. He has cruised to the last few championships and will cruise to the 2021 title. We don’t know if he still has the edge until it’s tested.

Age will catch up to him at some point, but we don’t know if it is affecting his performance at this stage. Bottas isn’t a real challenge to him so we’ll only find out if Russell can get a seat next to him or if Red Bull and Honda can make a huge step forward.

It's not a wish, I wouldn't be interested in seeing him getting steamrollered and fading. I dislike him and all but as I've been clear about, I can't deny he's one of the greatest of all time and I wouldn't want to see him with his tail between his legs for a couple of seasons.
    He hasn't had a challenge in 4 years and the last time he had a challenge he was beaten. By 2022 if he's gone 5 full years without a proper challenge and he's turned 37 without having to keep on his toes for half a decade I doubt he'll be near the top of his game.

It's not a wish, I wouldn't be interested in seeing him getting steamrollered and fading. I dislike him and all but as I've been clear about, I can't deny he's one of the greatest of all time and I wouldn't want to see him with his tail between his legs for a couple of seasons.
    He hasn't had a challenge in 4 years and the last time he had a challenge he was beaten. By 2022 if he's gone 5 full years without a proper challenge and he's turned 37 without having to keep on his toes for half a decade I doubt he'll be near the top of his game.

I wouldn’t mind if it happened and he went off the boil. We need something to change if we’re going to have a championship battle.

Either Hamilton-Mercedes need to slow down or Verstappen-Red Bull-Handa need to speed up. It’s not likely to happen this year. All you’re left with is a hunch that he’s not as fast as he used to be but absolutely no evidence to support it.

I wouldn’t mind if it happened and he went off the boil. We need something to change if we’re going to have a championship battle.
    Aye, but if they have the same pace advantage next season he'd have to be stuck in the freezer rather than just go off the boil.
    Either Hamilton-Mercedes need to slow down or Verstappen-Red Bull-Handa need to speed up. It’s not likely to happen this year. All you’re left with is a hunch that he’s not as fast as he used to be but absolutely no evidence to support it.
    Yeah it's a hunch. But his age and lack of competition for coming up on half a decade is circumstantial evidence IMO.

• Advertisement

Aye, but if they have the same pace advantage next season he'd have to be stuck in the freezer rather than just go off the boil.

Yeah it's a hunch. But his age and lack of competition for coming up on half a decade is circumstantial evidence IMO.
    The lack of competition isn’t any kind of evidence. I read what you’re saying as a wish - a wish which I share. And apart from his age, there’s absolutely no evidence for it.

He’s 36 this month and you’re suggesting it’s evidence he’s on the way down. How would you assess a 39 year old Alonso (40 in July)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement