Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

While contract negotiation with Sky, they claimed that the HD package that included F1 would be removed from June on. Those might only affect long term subscription, anyone heard similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Williams keeping Nissany for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

pjohnson wrote: »
    Williams keeping Nissany for another year.

Will they give him a practice outing at Hungary like his daddy did at Minardi in 2005? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Harika wrote: »
    While contract negotiation with Sky, they claimed that the HD package that included F1 would be removed from June on. Those might only affect long term subscription, anyone heard similar?

Haven't heard anything. The only reason I got Sky digital back in the day was because it came with the F1 channel. I don't have any other sports or movie channels.

I hope it doesn't become an extra you have to pay for.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Will they give him a practice outing at Hungary like his daddy did at Minardi in 2005? :D

He had a few last year. Seems an upgrade on the father anyway. But then again so would Stevie Wonder.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They can use all the help they can get. I wonder what expertise he could really bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They can use all the help they can get. I wonder what expertise he could really bring?

Bit of experience for the drivers to bounce off but id say mostly a big name for marketing purposes.

mickdw wrote: »
    Bit of experience for the drivers to bounce off but id say mostly a big name for marketing purposes.

I can see button wanting to help out Williams as it’s a great, British racing brand. I just wonder how much use it will realistically be to them.

Matteo Nannini has been signed to HWA and will race both F2 AND F3 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I can see button wanting to help out Williams as it’s a great, British racing brand. I just wonder how much use it will realistically be to them.

I've noticed that Russell has a very smooth driving style behind the wheel, not too dissimilar to Button. Perhaps he will benefit most, particularly with advice on setups.

He’s getting one of the three pre-season testing days. So Russell and Latifi and Nissani are each farting one day.

Strange approach.

This comes from to latest Autosport podcast.

He’s getting one of the three pre-season testing days. So Russell and Latifi and Nissani are each farting one day.

Strange approach.

This comes from to latest Autosport podcast.

Christ is that what they'll be testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mickdw wrote: »

Over 300 GPs of experience.

It's easy to dismiss the cheery chappy TV personality JB has today but behind that is a solid career in F1.

I'll be surprised if Williams can't profit from this collaboration.

Christ is that what they'll be testing?

Autocorrect shafted me again.

Let’s assume they’ll fart in their own time and each take a day of testing.

Autocorrect shafted me again.

Let’s assume they’ll fart in their own time and each take a day of testing.

Or is the Williams version of DAS. Methane power on top the DRS :pac:

Or is the Williams version of DAS. Methane power on top the DRS :pac:

Williams could use all the advantages they can get.

Joe Saward made a bold prediction in the latest Missed Apex podcast. He reckons there’s a good chance that Cyril Abiteboul left the Renault family because he got a better offer - An offer to potentially head up a new F1 team.

The recent merger of Peugeot and Fiat created the fourth biggest car company in the world. They might have been the people who asked to have a serious look at Alfa’s books last year.

It’s a long shot and a very bold prediction. But worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Joe Saward made a bold prediction in the latest Missed Apex podcast. He reckons there’s a good chance that Cyril Abiteboul left the Renault family because he got a better offer - An offer to potentially head up a new F1 team.

The recent merger of Peugeot and Fiat created the fourth biggest car company in the world. They might have been the people who asked to have a serious look at Alfa’s books last year.

It’s a long shot and a very bold prediction. But worth keeping an eye on.

I seen someone else on another website say they think that the new merger will pull the plug on the Alfa Formula 1 team. I hope they are wrong of course. What if Sauber were to come back and Alfa Romeo were to become more than just a sponsor on the Sauber team? That would be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I seen someone else on another website say they think that the new merger will pull the plug on the Alfa Formula 1 team. I hope they are wrong of course. What if Sauber were to come back and Alfa Romeo were to become more than just a sponsor on the Sauber team? That would be good.

I don’t know if that would be good. Privateer teams are being priced out of the market. The Sauber name for the sake of the name is worth as much as the Alfa Romeo name- and we know how that’s going. Unless they have a huge backer like the Stroll consortium or a car manufacturer, it’s just not likely to work out well.

• Advertisement

I think four teams (Alpine, Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren) will battle for third in the constructors championship this year. Does anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

You'd have to fancy mclaren off the back of last season with a merc engine and Danny ric driving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think four teams (Alpine, Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren) will battle for third in the constructors championship this year. Does anyone agree?

Basically, the same 4 as last year except with 2 name changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

flazio wrote: »
    Basically, the same 4 as last year except with 2 name changes.

I think everyone is eagerly waiting to see how vettel gets on at Aston Martin this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Alpha Tauri could be in the mix if Honda’s new engine is a step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Alpha Tauri could be in the mix if Honda’s new engine is a step up.

Hard to see that happening with Honda leaving F1 at the end of the year. I know they said it won't effect their development program but realistically even if they haven't officially pulled any funding, talented staff will have started finding ways to move their focus to other projects internally or externally that have a future.

Does anyone think Sainz will beat Leclerc this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I reckon he'll run LeClerc a lot closer then people expect him to but ultimately, this year particularly, the team is built around LeClerc and not the new guy.

flazio wrote: »
    I reckon he'll run LeClerc a lot closer then people expect him to but ultimately, this year particularly, the team is built around LeClerc and not the new guy.

It highlights how special LeClerc’s 2018 season was. He beat Vettel in a Ferrari team built around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I don’t think it’s about beating LeClerc, Sainz, is a classy , intelligent, hard working guy who will pull the whole Ferrari team and image up to a higher rung, and inspire the whole organisation .

As a landed gentry friend of mine used to say

“we’re not dealing with muck here”

he’s pure class in the old moneyed gentleman sense, yet fierce hard working, which seems a bit lacking elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement