Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you bring back or bring in if you were the Taoiseach of the Country?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

What happens to the rapists who are convicted, castrated and then later found to be completely innocent or fitted up by a lying victim?

It never happens here, rapists arent convicted unless theres physical proof the rape occurred and that involves very invasive physical examinations (vaginal & anal) of the victim & examinations of her underwear. Its a total misconception that innocent men get convicted of rape. In reality most rapists don't get convicted at all and when they do, they don't even get 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I think this is an excellent idea but the legal age is 18, not 16.

I'd drop the legal age to 16 for anyone whose drinking doesn't affect others negatively. Like anyone else, if they abuse the privilege, it gets revoked.
    Good luck getting that one past the Vintners!

Fuck the vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It never happens here, rapists arent convicted unless theres physical proof the rape occurred and that involves very invasive physical examinations (vaginal & anal) of the victim & examinations of her underwear. Its a total misconception that innocent men get convicted of rape. In reality most rapists don't get convicted at all and when they do, they don't even get 5 years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40024016.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

eagle eye wrote: »

Edit - He had his conviction removed - whats your point?

Rape crisis center Galway - "Official FBI statistics on the number of false reported rapes put the figures at 2%, which is the same as for any other crime. Other studies have found that when underreporting is factored in, this number is much lower, around .005%. Reporting sexual abuse involves complex and traumatic procedures. Taking these factors into consideration makes it seem highly unlikely that someone would make a false accusation of rape.

While it may be easier to accuse a victim of lying than to accept that our friend or loved one might have raped someone, such attitudes continue the blaming and mistrust of victims."

https://www.galwayrcc.org/get-info/myths/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Edit - He had his conviction removed - whats your point?

Did you read it? She had made false accusations on
    before, this was unknown at the time of his trial. He had no history of any type of misconduct.
    But you probably think he did it.

He would be castrated in your world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

.anon. wrote: »
    I'd introduce a drinking licence, without which it would be illegal to purchase or consume any alcoholic beverage. Anyone over 16 could apply for one, but if their drinking affects other people or society negatively (in terms of noise, violence, disorderly conduct, public vomiting, etc), their licence is revoked for a set period of time.

I'm sure the reasonable citizens of Ireland would politely serve their drinking ban. Maybe they could learn to cook or master a new language while they patiently sit on the naughty step.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

biko wrote: »
    Every citizen would have to serve 1 year in the army or navy between 18 and 19, no exclusions.

What a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

How about we don't go there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

gammygils wrote: »
    How about we don't go there

Which ones would you be referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'm sure the reasonable citizens of Ireland would politely serve their drinking ban. Maybe they could learn to cook or master a new language while they patiently sit on the naughty step.

Most wouldn't have to. It's only a small (but very loud and obnoxious) minority that shouldn't be allowed to drink because they can't handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Any and all methods necessary to stop slum landlords and I would happily jail any builder or developer who builds and then sells substandard housing. Failure to build to building standards should be punished by a visit from the Revenue/CAB/Gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Already mentioned was corporal punishment in schools - definitely.

A halt on immigration for a year. Spend that year investigating the cases of those seeking asylum. Deport any that don’t pass muster.

Offer a one time amnesty to anyone here illegally - prove your worth as a working, contributing member of society and you get a residence permit. Don’t, and out you go.

Then restart the immigration process with a points style/sponsor system like Australia.

Build - or create from other buildings - more prisons. Anything involving violence, jail. If you’re a third or more time in court - jail. No more 176 convictions and getting community service.

Revoke traveller special ethnic status. They’re as Irish as you and me. You want to improve your chances of a decent life and staying out of jail ? Don’t leave school illiterate at 12.

Assisted Dying referendum. I saw my father diminish for five years with dementia - I ever get that, it’s the special cocktail and I should be able to do it in my own land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Sort out the HSE and modernise our hospitals. People on trolley's will never be seen again. Pay student nurses.
    Abolish private health care.
    Invest more in primary/secondary education and modernise our schools. Religion removed from national/state schools.
    Expand public transportation.
    Overhaul asylum seeking process.
    Provide supports and grants for waste-free shops, solar panels, electric cars.
    Upgrade all water treatment facilities.
    Ban the use of harmful pesticides.
    Legalise marijuana and put the tax revenue to good use (see above).
    Create campaign so citizens understand voting system and make voting compulsory/easy.
    Reduce Taoiseach and minister wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Few environmental ones like mandatory bells for cats to try and reduce bird kill.
    Ban mountain biking and camping in forests. Dublin mountains destroyed in tyre tracks and fire pits.

I disagree. I think biking trails make the forest more accessible. Theres a relatively limited amount of bike trails in forests generally. Most of them are single track like hiking trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

KilOit wrote: »
    Abolish private health care, health care should be free for all and no corporation should get rich on human misery

but your ok with public servants earning a living off ill health presumably ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the definition of rape in sweden has a much lower bar than in ireland , who,s to say that in time the same definition wont exist here ?

KilOit wrote: »
    Abolish private health care, health care should be free for all and no corporation should get rich on human misery

But ultimately the tax payer will pay so I wouldnt view it as free in that sense. The USA is a horror compared to here in relation to medical corporations profits so I think we don't have it too bad.

If someone / a company can't make a profit, this could remove the incentive for pursuing r & d for fixing medical issues. That would be my concern. R & d cost big money and someone has to pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Oh that is such absolute garbage. Not even Louise O’Neill would write that and she is a clinically insane misandrist.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Already mentioned was corporal punishment in schools - definitely.

Imagine wanting to physically assault children!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Consecutive sentencing. Without remission.

• Advertisement

Legalise cannabis
    Decriminalise all drugs
    Invest in mental health & social issues
    Lower rents & house prices
    Higher taxes for multi international companies, invest in small businesses and provide support for lower income jobs
    Create affordable part time & online PLC & third level educational opportunities beyond generic springboard bio/pharma/finance courses
    Invest in working from home
    Invest in public transport
    Invest in rural areas
    Introduce chemical castration for Pedophiles & violent rapists
    Create Prison reform & put prisoners to work in the community.
    Lower insurance prices and car tax

I would be nervous of higher taxes on big companies. This may incentivise them to up sticks and move elsewhere or discourage companies from setting up here in the first place.

Alot of investment mentioned in your post but I wonder how much appetite the public have for higher taxes that would likely be needed to funds such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Seize and destroy any vehicle detected over the speed limit, or with no tax or insurance or no NCT. For a second offence, life imprisonment without parole for the driver and any passengers. Would bring down the number of deaths on the roads.

If a passenger is in a car doing 170mph, how would you suggest they get out so as not to be jailed??

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd sack everybody in management and administrative jobs in the HSE and rebuild it. Might cost millions to get rid of them but I'm looking to save billions.
    If your on social welfare for over six months you have to do work 20 hours work per week in the community to get your money. Obviously if you have interviews you'll do less hours in any week that you have them.
    Ban sale of alcohol in supermarkets. It's not ok for kids to see alcohol in shops and think it's part of life.
    I have loads more but I'll just go with those three for the moment.

Alcohol is part of life. Hiding it away just makes it more mysterious and "adult" to children.

I'd introduce a drinking licence, without which it would be illegal to purchase or consume any alcoholic beverage. Anyone over 16 could apply for one, but if their drinking affects other people or society negatively (in terms of noise, violence, disorderly conduct, public vomiting, etc), their licence is revoked for a set period of time.

Thats a brilliant idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd bring back the Irish Republic that the men of 1916 died for. And erase the 26 county Free State and it's offspring the 26 county Republic of Ireland, both of which are British creations.

I'd re-establish the Irish Republic with a new republican constitution, including an unquestioning claim to the occupied 6. I'd call on all patriotic men and women to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

biko wrote: »
    Every citizen would have to serve 1 year in the army or navy between 18 and 19, no exclusions.

To what end?

If there were rockets being launched at Ireland from the Isle of Mann I would see the need for putting the entire population under arms.

If we aren't going to fight a war then what do we need with 4 million or so soldiers/sailors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Obligatory toss jobs and kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Close ATM machines between 4am to 6 am ..
    nothing good come from taking out money at those hours..

Few lads up round the border might disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Most wouldn't have to. It's only a small (but very loud and obnoxious) minority that shouldn't be allowed to drink because they can't handle it.

Do you think telling that very small obnoxious minority that their "license to drink" has been revoked would make any difference?

Bear in mind that there is a widespread ban on drugs which is not really doing much to stop people who want to do drugs from doing drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do you think telling that very small obnoxious minority that their "license to drink" has been revoked would make any difference?

Bear in mind that there is a widespread ban on drugs which is not really doing much to stop people who want to do drugs from doing drugs

Probably not, but it would make it harder and more ambarassing and awkward to the point they'll try not to lose it again. If allay throw in mandatory alcohol awareness classes and seasons. Treat them like teenagers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement