Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you bring back or bring in if you were the Taoiseach of the Country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You specficically said "countries" not individuals.

So yeah: no such country.

I obviously meant recidivism rate of 0% by the fried goon. Otherwise you'd only have to sizzle one lad to be crime free.

There's research showing that the numbers of murders decrease (not all crime, the focus was on murder and similar crimes) when capital punishment has been removed from a country. In some cases, the drop is significant, in others not so much, but there's only one country where the rate actually increased (Georgia, I think).

This research is used to show that capital punishment doesn't work... although, I don't see much in the way of anything else that works either. As long as capital punishment isn't working, everything else is better, even though, their lack of success in reforming criminals, especially violent criminals is telling.

All the same I'd still be in favor of capital punishment for repeat offenders of violent crimes. It might not be a deterrent, but then, obviously nothing else is a deterrent, if someone has a number of convictions under their belt. Still.. that won't be accepted by most of those who are against capital punishment.

I'd imagine the research is done by some NGO or bleeding heart group who are more worried about the criminals feelings than their crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

riddles wrote: »
    Wibbly wobbly wonder ice creams, the country seems to have lurched from crisis to crisis since they were taken off the market. Perusing the ice cream fridge is simply not the same. I know there’s still maxi twists and ice bergers...... but they didn’t need to go!

And restore Brunches to their former size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Sustained bombing campaign of the north west coast of France followed by a land invasion moving across Europe.

Forced labour for anti social behaviour. All ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I obviously meant recidivism rate of 0% by the fried goon. Otherwise you'd only have to sizzle one lad to be crime free.

OH, I see - 'fried good' accidentally autocorrected to counties, did it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

I would not allow an Irish ethnic group never work a day in their lives whilst they ride the welfare system bareback paid for by tax payers .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

No more social housing in city/town centres.
    Drug/rehab centres moved to industrial estates.
    Immediate stop to new childrens hospital and movei t to outside the m50.
    Restart work on that prison in north co dublin.
    Decentralize more govt and state functions outside of Dublin.
    Complete 'ring' motorway standard road and rail of Ireland - Dublin-Belfast-Derry-Sligo-Galway-Limerick-Cork-Waterford-Wexford-Dublin
    Fire Simon Harris out of a cannon on greystones pier

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

No Bottles, No Milk.

OH, I see - 'fried goon'(fixed that for you) accidentally autocorrected to counties, did it?

I credited the good people of Boards of having half a functioning brain, I'll not do that again. I'll spell everything out in as simple of terms as I can. Hope it will help going forward (thats the direction you are facing).

• Advertisement

I credited the good people of Boards of having half a functioning brain, I'll not do that again. I'll spell everything out in as simple of terms as I can. Hope it will help going forward (thats the direction you are facing).

Or you could just post things that actually make sense and not have to backtrack....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

reopen spike island for anti-social maggots
    life means life in the courts
    no concurant sentencing
    military style police division to deal with anti-social behavior
    minimum 20 years for knife crime
    minimum 20 years for sex crime
    disband parole
    disband bail
    build 10 new prisons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

hurler32 wrote: »
    I would not allow an Irish ethnic group never work a day in their lives whilst they ride the welfare system bareback paid for by tax payers .

Damn right, feckin' Hari Krishna',s have been acting the bollix for years.

no concurant sentencing
    disband parole
    disband bail
    build 10 new prisons

Is there any place for capitals in your new regime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Social responsibility for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Page 3 girls everyday and News of the World on Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Get Real

A generous allowance of 30 previous convictions before a fair 10 year prison term.

An enquiry into how many crimes committed each year in Ireland, are carried out by those with more than 30 previous or more.

Once inside, an education and positive enforcement. But still lock them up. Stop blaming the victims, and the Gardaí. And instead blame those who carry out the offences and look at the root cause of it, rather than putting a plaster over it.

Anything to destaelise Dublin...
    Edgware wrote: »
    Page 3 girls everyday and News of the World on Sundays

Isn't that the bunch got done for phonetapping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

AMKC wrote: »
    What would you bring back or bring in if you were the Taoiseach of the Country?.

I would bring in a 60% government grant towards the price of all new EVs sold in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

no concurant sentencing
    disband parole
    disband bail
    build 10 new prisons

I'll take a wild guess and say prison (with key 'thrown away').

• Advertisement

Anything to destaelise Dublin...

Isn't that the bunch got done for phonetapping?

Yep , I can just see Linda Lusardi involved in a phone tapping scandal too .

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Dramatik

15p smokes in the local garage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Welfare caps!

I would ban sportswear unless it's being used to do sport.

Look at old photo's of Ireland in the 50's. People were wearing normal clothes on the streets. Nowadays street fashion is so depressing with the lycras, the flourescent colours, the ugly shoes.

I would bring in a 60% government grant towards the price of all new EVs sold in Ireland.

That’ll be very healthy, unless your a child slave mining cobalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be a very unpopular leader, because I'd base all my decisions on my own personal experiences:

- Remove child benefit for new parents
    - Make it a requirement to do x hours of social work per week to get the jobseekers after x amount of time receiving it (ie: street cleaning, park maintenance, etc)
    - Remove the mandatory requirement to have maternity/child cover on health insurance
    - Slash politician wages down to a more realistic figure (should never go above €80k, and that's after many years)
    - Slash politician expenses: no travel expenses for going to/from work, no expenses for personal lunches, etc, no free travel
    - Remove the requirement for a politician to attend non-government related events, ie: openings
    - Introduce the requirement for someone to have a qualification and experience in the area they are in charge of, ie: minister for health must have some medical qualification and experience working in the health industry
    - Reduce the working week to 4 days, 30 hours
    - Reduce the amount of over-seas aid
    - Introduce a system to ensure social housing is not passed down to the children of those in it
    - Up the rent on some social housing
    - Introduce a cap on rent for businesses and private tenants, based on the average rent of the area and a review board consisting of people with no ties to the property market
    - Fix the immigration issues by ensuring a quick turnaround on applications, maybe even create a completely separate court just to deal with it until it's back to manageable levels
    - Introduce a law where people who drive vehicles with lights sitting higher than a standard car will be immediately banned from driving if they have the angle of their lights set to the highest level, or fail to use indicators/lanes properly
    - Rejig the driving test to be a mandatory test every 3 years, and change it so it's actually good instead of a box ticking exercise
    - Introduce legislation to ensure insurance companies are held to account for improper practice
    - Introduce a law to prevent any claims from traffic accidents for whiplash or a cap at a low level, similar to the German way, to discourage people from taking cases (most times the payout wouldn't cover the legal costs)
    - Legalise cannabis for recreational use, limit the import of strains and provide assistance to Irish based companies/start ups who want to grow it for distribution
    - Ensure profits from the sale of cannabis is directly funneled into drug rehabilitation programmes and education/health sectors
    - Introduce a levy on large private vehicles in all cities
    - Introduce a requirement to provide evidence as to why you need a large vehicle for private use, ie: a person with no kids and no business needs living in/near a city should not be allowed purchase an X5, get down off your horse
    - Make every road in cities one way, with a bus lane and cycle lane on each
    - Make bacon and cabbage an official national dish
    - Remove the legislation that says only Waterford and make floury baps blaas, just to annoy them :)

I'm sure there's more I'd do, but that's it off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

One gated community for all the people I like, the outside would be a like the hunger games I suppose but who cares. Not sure why Micheal Martin hasn't actually done this already tbh

As a benevolent dictator there wouldn't be a democratic government. I would have the power to make whatever laws and changes I feel are necessary. This would mean no unions to pander to or separation of powers.
    The HSE is the first thing I would change. There are far too many admin staff so most would go, along with chains of bureaucracy. I would have two people to advise me, one medical and one administrative. My say though would be final.

The media would be encouraged to provide positivity where Covid is concerned. The facts would be given but without fear. Each report would come with a reminder that there is light at the end of the tunnel. As soon as the vaccines arrive they'd be administered and it would be a 24/7 operation. The health system I run will never sleep.

Childrens allowance would be means tested and 'Decent Person' tested. The 'Decent Person' system will be used to determine who gets welfare and at what amount. There will be a series of psychological tests every citizen will be required to undergo in order to get their reading. Those in employment will only need their reading if they lose their jobs or need state support. And by 'state' I mean me.

There will be new offences introduced. Whinging and complaining will carry a term of imprisonment. The term will vary depending on severity and nature of whinge.
    Rape, murder and child abuse will have mandatory life sentences.
    So will hit and runs, throwing acid and torture.

Education will be holistic. As well as childrens intellect being nurtured so too will their overall wellbeing. This will help them excel in the 'Decent Person' programme when they turn 18. So called soft skills will be given the same importance as academic abilities.

My people will be allowed have a say. There will be yearly votes for new measures which will help improve quality of life. These will be nice things such as an extra bank holiday or higher wage. These nice things remain in place for a year and then the voting happens again for something new. They will also be allowed vote on satisfaction with the regime. In the unlikely event the majority is unsatisfied well, that's just tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

As a benevolent dictator there wouldn't be a democratic government. I would have the power to make whatever laws and changes I feel are necessary. This would mean no unions to pander to or separation of powers.
    The HSE is the first thing I would change. There are far too many admin staff so most would go, along with chains of bureaucracy. I would have two people to advise me, one medical and one administrative. My say though would be final.

The media would be encouraged to provide positivity where Covid is concerned. The facts would be given but without fear. Each report would come with a reminder that there is light at the end of the tunnel. As soon as the vaccines arrive they'd be administered and it would be a 24/7 operation. The health system I run will never sleep.

Childrens allowance would be means tested and 'Decent Person' tested. The 'Decent Person' system will be used to determine who gets welfare and at what amount. There will be a series of psychological tests every citizen will be required to undergo in order to get their reading. Those in employment will only need their reading if they lose their jobs or need state support. And by 'state' I mean me.

There will be new offences introduced. Whinging and complaining will carry a term of imprisonment. The term will vary depending on severity and nature of whinge.
    Rape, murder and child abuse will have mandatory life sentences.
    So will hit and runs, throwing acid and torture.

Education will be holistic. As well as childrens intellect being nurtured so too will their overall wellbeing. This will help them excel in the 'Decent Person' programme when they turn 18. So called soft skills will be given the same importance as academic abilities.

My people will be allowed have a say. There will be yearly votes for new measures which will help improve quality of life. These will be nice things such as an extra bank holiday or higher wage. These nice things remain in place for a year and then the voting happens again for something new. They will also be allowed vote on satisfaction with the regime. In the unlikely event the majority is unsatisfied well, that's just tough.

You would be shot and your body carried along the quays by day 3.
    Lobbed into the incinerator

• Advertisement

You would be shot and your body carried along the quays by day 3.
    Lobbed into the incinerator

I wouldn't because my people would love me.

Advertisement