Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you bring back or bring in if you were the Taoiseach of the Country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I wouldn't because my people would love me.

The welfare class will rise up against you. Your motorcade would be swarmed at the gates of the Phoenix park by junkies and while your lieutenants are distracted Baldie Mcdonagh would pull the trigger

The welfare class will rise up against you. Your motorcade would be swarmed at the gates of the Phoenix park by junkies and while your lieutenants are distracted Baldie Mcdonagh would pull the trigger

I wouldn't have a motorcade or reside in the Phoenix Park. The first trick to being a benevolent dictator is the ability to pull wool over eyes. On the surface I would be one of the people. My regime would be a slow process after trust has been gained.

The proles will rise up? Hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wouldn't have a motorcade or reside in the Phoenix Park. The first trick to being a benevolent dictator is the ability to pull wool over eyes. On the surface I would be one of the people. My regime would be a slow process after trust has been gained.

It would be a quick process out of the EU.

Membership criteria require that the candidate country must have achieved:

Stability of institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights and respect for and protection of minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It would be a quick process out of the EU.

Membership criteria require that the candidate country must have achieved:

Stability of institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights and respect for and protection of minorities.

This would mean pretty much every idea expressed in this thread would result in us getting kicked out of the EU for one reason or another...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

So many things, so much to fix. I'll stick to my big 2;

Compulsory weighed pensions. All people get a state pension. That pension is however based on how much tax you have actually paid over your lifetime. The bottom would be that, the bottom. No need for private pensions and the gap between career sponge and the genuine working class would be more than the gap in an ants arse.

Ten strike rule. I'm not a harsh man, I know everyone ****s up but if you can't play nice as a member of society then you don't get to be a member of society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

This would mean pretty much every idea expressed in this thread would result in us getting kicked out of the EU for one reason or another...!

And that my friend is why we don't have dictatorships. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 feelfreeto

A crowdfunded iot 5g enabled Bluetooth low energy enhanced ai as a service distributed cloud multi experience quantum technology hyperautomation algorithmic data learning cryptocurrency secure blockchain system to let people vote on their phones daily, one law a day every day. Essentially direct democracy with a lot of buzzwords.

Not really. You can find a wide variety of approaches to law & order, or other concerns throughout the EU. Every country isn't following a set blueprint of behavior. There is some leeway, and some of the idea's on this thread would fall within that.

Not really. You can find a wide variety of approaches to law & order, or other concerns throughout the EU. Every country isn't following a set blueprint of behavior. There is some leeway, and some of the idea's on this thread would fall within that.

Yeah, I know - but it's the specific ideas would raise concern rather than an agenda like tackling crime.

• Advertisement

I think I’d go full dictator without the racism bit. People have shown they have far too many liberties these days.

I think I’d go full dictator without the racism bit. People have shown they have far too many liberties these days.

Joseph Stalin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The Riordans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Joseph Stalin?
    Bring back Stalin but tell him no more Mr. Nice Guy antics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Those who scream hysterics about mobile phone masts are banned from owning a mobile phone.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Those who scream hysterics about mobile phone masts are banned from owning a mobile phone.

I would go further and say anyone who is anti-science in general does not get to enjoy the fruits of science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I would go further and say anyone who is anti-science in general does not get to enjoy the fruits of science.

Teachers will have to work a full year. While children are on holiday teachers will be doing road works with county councils around the country.

Also anyone who is not an active mass going Christian doesn't get to celebrate Christmas. No time off. Normal working week

Teachers will have to work a full year. While children are on holiday teachers will be doing road works with county councils around the country.

Brilliant.

Also anyone who is not an active mass going Christian doesn't get to celebrate Christmas. No time off. Normal working week

No. Increase to six-day week. Why should non-Christians be taking Sundays off?

Equality for all, brilliant

I assume the bonuses that are paid to top level CEO's in the private sector will now be matched in the public?

So what about all the workers who dont get Christmas off already?

• Advertisement

I assume the bonuses that are paid to top level CEO's in the private sector will now be matched in the public?

I worked in the civil service, I can assure you no one deserves a bonus where I was. I was once given grief for working too hard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

3 strikes and you are sentenced to death for three criminal convictions.

Would put an end to these people with dozens of convictions, they'll never turn good....and are just a drain on the taxpayer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Private sector get bonuses....civil service get job security.

I worked in the civil service, I can assure you no one deserves a bonus where I was. I was once given grief for working too hard.

and I worked in the private and can assure you that not all deserved a bonus. So what?

Equality means exactly that. Equality.

So why should the bank worker gets the week off AND a christmas bonus but I worked and didnt get a bonus? Sorry but you cannot attack well known teaching perks but not be willing to also see your own go.

Likewise why is it ok for the covid payment and welfare to be paid a bonus from public funds but not actual workers that are paid from the same fund?
    Private sector get bonuses....civil service get job security.

and teachers get the summer off. See my point yet?
    3 strikes and you are sentenced to death for three criminal convictions.

Would put an end to these people with dozens of convictions, they'll never turn good....and are just a drain on the taxpayer.

Wow! You realise traffic offences are actually criminal convictions (Albeit normally excluded from vetting) and theres the possibility of a wrongful conviction? What do you do to the chap thats found to be actually innocent after hes hung? Likewise having a small amount of hash is a criminal conviction. Surely we havent reached a stage where a working, tax paying smoker should be hung?

and I worked in the private and can assure you that not all deserved a bonus. So what?

Equality means exactly that. Equality.

So why should the bank worker gets the week off AND a christmas bonus but I worked and didnt get a bonus? Sorry but you cannot attack well known teaching perks but not be willing to also see your own go.

Likewise why is it ok for the covid payment and welfare to be paid a bonus from public funds but not actual workers that are paid from the same fund?

and teachers get the summer off. See my point yet?

Wow! You realise traffic offences are actually criminal convictions (Albeit normally excluded from vetting) and theres the possibility of a wrongful conviction? What do you do to the chap thats found to be actually innocent after hes hung? Likewise having a small amount of hash is a criminal conviction. Surely we havent reached a stage where a working, tax paying smoker should be hung?

I work in a bank. I, nor any of my team received a bonus or a "week off" (whatever that is supposed to be).

Anything else?

I work in a bank. I, nor any of my team received a bonus or a "week off" (whatever that is supposed to be).

Anything else?

You got only 5 days off then (https://www.moneyguideireland.com/bank-opening-hours-christmas-2020.html) compared to my zero.

Give over with your bonus argument. Plenty of companies pay em. Especially banks. Brother in law got a very nice one this year.

Anything else? Yep, preferential mortgages and loans. Share options.

You cannot seriously be trying to argue that bonuses arent paid can you?

again, my exact point: If you want the teachers to lose a perk because you dont have it. You must give up the one you have that they dont.

I worked Christmas day, you did not. Thats not equality. Its reality and a reality I knew going into my profession but then I also knew teachers go the summer off.

You got only 5 days off then (https://www.moneyguideireland.com/bank-opening-hours-christmas-2020.html) compared to my zero.

Give over with your bonus argument. Plenty of companies pay em. Especially banks. Brother in law got a very nice one this year.

Anything else? Yep, preferential mortgages and loans. Share options.

You cannot seriously be trying to argue that bonuses arent paid can you?

again, my exact point: If you want the teachers to lose a perk because you dont have it. You must give up the one you have that they dont.

I worked Christmas day, you did not. Thats not equality. Its reality and a reality I knew going into my profession but then I also knew teachers go the summer off.

Everything you said is wrong. Branches might close for five days, but not back office functions, which is where the majority of people work in banking. You're talking out your hole.

My bank did not pay bonuses this year, or since the financial crisis. Nor did the previous bank I worked for. No Irish bank that has approached me for employment has offered a bonus. You're talking out your hole.

Preferential loans? Before the financial crisis yeah. Not now. Talking out your hole.

I'm done talking with ya, you're just making stuff up at this point.

Pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Everything you said is wrong. Branches might close for five days, but not back office functions, which is where the majority of people work in banking. You're talking out your hole.

My bank did not pay bonuses this year, or since the financial crisis. Nor did the previous bank I worked for. No Irish bank that has approached me for employment has offered a bonus. You're talking out your hole.

Preferential loans? Before the financial crisis yeah. Not now. Talking out your hole.

I'm done talking with ya, you're just making stuff up at this point.

Pitiful.
    "talking out your hole" and you still understand. Are you multi lingual?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

1. Childcare costs - They are like a 2nd mortgage on many working families and reduce disposable income significantly. Childcare for families with both parents working should have a maximum monthly cost. A bit like the drugs payment scheme where the family covers up to X if both parents are working. The benefit of this is increasing disposable income to be spent in the economy, promoting working families to have more kids and start families younger, helps maintain workplace participation of women after they have kids.

2. Justice - Make lads with dozens, or hundreds of convictions a thing of the past. Particularly if violent crime or rape forms any part of them. I would advocate death sentence for those which have no chance of reform, i would like to see better funding for community based schemes to divert youths from lifes of crime and increase their training prospects.

3. Dole / Social welfare is on a scale - the more you contribute the more you get out of it - Those who refuse or dont want to work are given the minimum and no more - expect training - but the training must lead to a job , not just courses forever.

4. Maternity / Paternity for working parents significantly expanded. 6 months paid maternity is too short and 2 weeks paid paternity is a disgrace this is a life changing event we should be encouraging working parents to engage in. The next generation of kids are paying our pensions.

5. Education - We should have a central agency that increases or decreases available spots on courses depending on demand and predicted future demand. Why have thousands doing an arts degree when in reality if we made 2 or 3 times the spaces in medicine available they would like to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Increase the VAT on soft drinks, cheap alcohol, biscuits, crisps, junk food, takeaways, frozen pizzas etc. Decrease or abolish VAT on locally grown, seasonal, unprocessed food. A lot of Irish people are enormously overweight due to their obsession with cheap processed food, chicken fillet rolls, crisps etc.

Advertisement