Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional Vaccine Allocation - updated 31/03/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think I heard it will depend if they believe whether people with immunity can still spread Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gctest50 wrote: »
    Cr@p idea spending 30mins in a tent with people from all over.

Be fun if it turned into a superspreader event
    It's not like they're going to pack people in like sardines without masks for all 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

On the 6pm news the issue of the Olympic athletes getting the vaccine was mentioned.
    It looks like"reading between the lines" that once the vulnerable groups are vaccinated then there will have to be another decision made whether to vaccinate those heading for Tokyo.
    As far as I am aware the roadmap for vaccination has not mentioned this group so therefore can we assume that they will take their turn like the rest of us?
    Will there be priority for other sports groups for example GAA,FAI etc.?
    This needs to be addressed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any chance we could win a medal at Olympic queue jumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

downwesht wrote: »
    On the 6pm news the issue of the Olympic athletes getting the vaccine was mentioned.
    It looks like"reading between the lines" that once the vulnerable groups are vaccinated then there will have to be another decision made whether to vaccinate those heading for Tokyo.
    As far as I am aware the roadmap for vaccination has not mentioned this group so therefore can we assume that they will take their turn like the rest of us?
    Yeah saw this as well and was thinking WTF.
    Looking for some of the fittest and youngest people in the country to skip the queue, so they could go to a completely unnecessary event during a pandemic.
    I'm glad RTE were there to not ask the tough questions.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Yeah saw this as well and was thinking WTF.
    Looking for some of the fittest and youngest people in the country to skip the queue, so they could go to a completely unnecessary event during a pandemic.
    I'm glad RTE were there to not ask the tough questions.:rolleyes:

As it looks likely that we are going to be in level 5 lockdown come the Summer I would probably have an unnatural great interest in the Olympics out of sheer boredom and would want our Irish athletes there. Let me put it this way, they would be far more entitled to a vaccine than the thousands of jobsworth admin quango staff that have already been vaccinated in HSE and Hospital offices all over the country, these people shouldn't even have jobs never mind getting a vaccine and it is the entire reason the HSE is a failed entity is overstaffing with non-essential staff pushing paper in circles all day long to appease trade unions and the need for FF political crony jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Any chance we could win a medal at Olympic queue jumping?

/thread done

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wouldn't be surprised to see group 7 (a nebulous and undefined key worker category iirc) expanded to include certain persons of a national interest who travel as a function of their profession (ie Olympic athletes).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No. Absolutely not. It's a bit sickening that it's even being suggested.

Sports people are non essential. Maybe Garda or teachers I could see an argument for skipping the queue but not sports people.

I would imagine that the Olympics is not going to happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭4Ad

theguzman wrote: »
    As it looks likely that we are going to be in level 5 lockdown come the Summer I would probably have an unnatural great interest in the Olympics out of sheer boredom and would want our Irish athletes there. Let me put it this way, they would be far more entitled to a vaccine than the thousands of jobsworth admin quango staff that have already been vaccinated in HSE and Hospital offices all over the country, these people shouldn't even have jobs never mind getting a vaccine and it is the entire reason the HSE is a failed entity is overstaffing with non-essential staff pushing paper in circles all day long to appease trade unions and the need for FF political crony jobs.

Family member who works as a clerical worker in the HSE told me she has nothing to do and is bored at work.
    She was asked to input medical files, refused "not her job".
    She had no problem taking the first dose of the vaccine though.
    F##king joke..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

4Ad wrote: »
    Family member who works as a clerical worker in the HSE told me she has nothing to do and is bored at work.
    She was asked to input medical files, refused "not her job".
    She had no problem taking the first dose of the vaccine though.
    F##king joke..

She is one of tens of thousands, we have a health budget of €22billion one of the highest spends per capita in the entire developed world but people cannot get access to mental health services or an entire other variety of services unless you have the money or insurance coverage to pay privately.

We have a real-life taxation burden of over 70%. Because of people like your relative and the Trade-Unions and politicians that defend this indefeasible system our healthcare system is broken and irreparable.

Fine thing cut everyman and woman in Ireland a cheque for €4.5k and let them source it privately and cancel public healthcare. The HSE needs and greater Public service needs tens of thousands of forced joblosses, cheaper pay them the PUP covid for a lifetime agreement than continue with the scandalous waste of money and lack of delivery of anything like a health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

theguzman wrote: »
    She is one of tens of thousands, we have a health budget of €22billion one of the highest spends per capita in the entire developed world but people cannot get access to mental health services or an entire other variety of services unless you have the money or insurance coverage to pay privately.

We have a real-life taxation burden of over 70%. Because of people like your relative and the Trade-Unions and politicians that defend this indefeasible system our healthcare system is broken and irreparable.

Fine thing cut everyman and woman in Ireland a cheque for €4.5k and let them source it privately and cancel public healthcare. The HSE needs and greater Public service needs tens of thousands of forced joblosses, cheaper pay them the PUP covid for a lifetime agreement than continue with the scandalous waste of money and lack of delivery of anything like a health service.

She is one lazy wagon with a crap attitude. She is not representative of public servants in general. I have encountered rude shop assistants, arrogant doctors, unreliable delivery people, dishonest traders. They're all just individuals, not representing the ethos and attitude of their entire sector.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

downwesht wrote: »
    Who suggested this? There is nothing in the allocation mentioning special treatment for athletes. Until there is something official (and I doubt there ever will be) this really is a non-story. Otherwise we'll be seeing clams that GAA, rugby, soccer etc cases are "special". Not a cat in hell's chance the authorities would allow this

Of course if the IOC can source vaccinations (which I very much doubt) they could allocate to athletes

I think the chances of the Olympics taking place this year are pretty remote anyway and Tokyo is already talking about applying for 2032

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

astrofool wrote: »
    No, because until 1-13 are vaccinated, you're a vector for spreading the disease to those more vulnerable than you.

thats rubbish according to new york times ... here is their write up

The new Covid-19 vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna seem to be remarkably good at preventing serious illness. But it’s unclear how well they will curb the spread of the coronavirus.

That’s because the Pfizer and Moderna trials tracked only how many vaccinated people became sick with Covid-19. That leaves open the possibility that some vaccinated people get infected without developing symptoms, and could then silently transmit the virus — especially if they come in close contact with others or stop wearing masks.

If vaccinated people are silent spreaders of the virus, they may keep it circulating in their communities, putting unvaccinated people at risk.

“A lot of people are thinking that once they get vaccinated, they’re not going to have to wear masks anymore,” said Michal Tal, an immunologist at Stanford University. “It’s really going to be critical for them to know if they have to keep wearing masks, because they could still be contagious.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Anecdotal evidence but it has been circulating for a few days now, it seems like the prioritisation of healthcare staff to get the vaccines within hospitals hasn't been outlined by the HSE and so we have a situation where hospital admin staff, who are not patient facing, are able to get the jab over more critical staff, even covid ward staff and ICU nurses.

In light of no set directive from the HSE I can fully understand admin staff signing themselves up for the vaccine, they control the distribution, especially those with vulnerable family etc, however having a situation where non patient facing staff get the vaccine before a patient facing staff member is a ridiculous situation and stinks of "its all about who you know"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

There is very specific definitions in the sequencing groups. If people are found to be applying to the wrong sequencing group, they should be fired for gross misconduct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Snotty wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence but it has been circulating for a few days now, it seems like the prioritisation of healthcare staff to get the vaccines within hospitals hasn't been outlined by the HSE and so we have a situation where hospital admin staff, who are not patient facing, are able to get the jab over more critical staff, even covid ward staff and ICU nurses.

In light of no set directive from the HSE I can fully understand admin staff signing themselves up for the vaccine, they control the distribution, especially those with vulnerable family etc, however having a situation where non patient facing staff get the vaccine before a patient facing staff member is a ridiculous situation and stinks of "its all about who you know"

The HSE summed up in two paragraphs

And it's been like this for at least 10 years

At the very least

Threads merged

Miike wrote: »
    There is very specific definitions in the sequencing groups. If people are found to be applying to the wrong sequencing group, they should be fired for gross misconduct.

Very specific "guidelines" and they are only guidelines, they also state this distribution is preferred however in practice the administration will have leeway and from all reports, they are abusing this leeway.

No one will be fired over this, that's just crazy talk for any public sector job in Ireland, but I think this certainly deserved a stern warning from the minister, but even that is probably futile.
    All they have to do is order 20 vaccines for staff of ward X, knowing full well that only 18 will be available to receive the jab, rather than "waste it" 2 buddies will be called in at "last minute", so no abuse took place.
    Really does make me sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Where have you heard this?

All frontline healthcare, and the key is word is frontline, have been vaccinated at least with dose 1 was my understanding.

I have seen interest groups and unions of non-frontline saying they should be done quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The HSE has control of this outside hospitals, inside it was down to assuming that administrators can read guidelines and apply them appropriately. TBH I really don't get the frantic thrashing about over who got vaccines as it's very early days and we have limited supplies. They don't change how we should be doing things now and their effect will not be seen for months. Meanwhile the vast majority of us are waiting our turn calmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Absolutely that critical care staff need to be prioritised but it is the case that while many (but not all admin staff) are not patient facing they still have daily interactions with the people who are patient facing and therefore are vulnerable (and with age may be more vulnerable than the medics).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Andrew Cuomo in NY said any non-patient facing staff who got the vaccine before all patient facing staff got it would be fired.
    The result? Thousands of wasted vaccines - it doesn't always suit perfectly, it isn't an ideal world we live in.
    I don't agree with it as a principle, but it is better than wasting vaccines.

Andrew Cuomo in NY said any non-patient facing staff who got the vaccine before all patient facing staff got it would be fired.
    The result? Thousands of wasted vaccines - it doesn't always suit perfectly, it isn't an ideal world we live in.
    I don't agree with it as a principle, but it is better than wasting vaccines.
    They really are supposed to have backup lists for that eventuality, something we have even if some end up in lower level groups.

noodler wrote: »
    Where have you heard this?

All frontline healthcare, and the key is word is frontline, have been vaccinated at least with dose 1 was my understanding.

I have seen interest groups and unions of non-frontline saying they should be done quicker.

Nope there are nurses working in ICU today that have not got the first dose of vaccine yet, and its certainly not nurses objecting to the vaccine, there are a large amount of other nurses without it also, some maybe in lower risk roles, example peds or maybe fracture clinic.
    Absolutely that critical care staff need to be prioritised but it is the case that while many (but not all admin staff) are not patient facing they still have daily interactions with the people who are patient facing and therefore are vulnerable (and with age may be more vulnerable than the medics).

but they are still NOT the people WITH the daily interactions. All i am saying is the people WITH daily interactions should be getting it before people who don't and if there is even 1 scenario where there were not any "frontline" staff in the building or available at that moment, i'll certainly agree that anyone (including admin staff) should be getting it rather than it being thrown out, but this early in the process, that is simply not the case.

Regarding the "not point getting in a tizzy over nothing, sure the vaccine doesn't work right away responses", i wouldn't even bother with that mentality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Reported today in Irish Times that 800 people outside of top 2 vaccination groups have been given a vaccine. Seems pretty low.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-almost-800-people-outside-top-two-priority-groups-have-been-vaccinated-1.4480591

Amirani wrote: »
    Reported today in Irish Times that 800 people outside of top 2 vaccination groups have been given a vaccine. Seems pretty low.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-almost-800-people-outside-top-two-priority-groups-have-been-vaccinated-1.4480591
    That sounds like it needs an RTE Investigates programme to hunt them down! Not surprised to see that TBH, a whole lot of the stories were anecdotal.

Amirani wrote: »

Suppose it comes down to what amount was abuse of the system and what was "waste not want not". Lets say it was 10%, is it still OK the there was 80 cases that should result in the staff being dismissed? Or is it the Irish attitude of "be grand"?

• Advertisement

Suppose it comes down to what amount was abuse of the system and what was "waste not want not". Lets say it was 10%, is it still OK the there was 80 cases that should result in the staff being dismissed? Or is it the Irish attitude of "be grand"?
    Under what actual laws or workplace T&C could they be dismissed?

Advertisement