Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Longing

The GFS control for now seems to reflect the Mogrep- the UK in house model- view The poster insisting it will be brief might be wrong.

Yes Nacho I hope I am wrong. Reverse psychology hoping it pays off.;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Longing wrote: »
    Yes Nacho I hope I am wrong. Reverse psychology hoping it pays off.;):p

Going on trends all those Atlantic lows tend to be drifting further South. Wouldn’t mind it clipping the south west all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good heavens, the fax T120 absolutely screams potential, look at those lovely convergence lines to the north..wow..coming soon to an Irish East coast near you too!
    Lows bumping off the icelandic high...528 dam already down across the country..

541874.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bazlers

Supercell wrote: »
    Good heavens, the fax T120 absolutely screams potential, look at those lovely convergence lines to the north..wow..coming soon to an Irish East coast near you too!
    Lows bumping off the icelandic high...528 dam already down across the country..

541874.jpg

Unfortunately im getting excited already. Im going to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

bazlers wrote: »
    Unfortunately im getting excited already. Im going to pay for that.

And the kiss of death, telling others of the incoming blizzard.

• Advertisement

And the kiss of death, telling others of the incoming blizzard.

Weathercheck did that already on the 5 to 8am rte radio forecast,so should be OK:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Weathercheck did that already on the 5 to 8am rte radio forecast,so should be OK:D

Here's the link to that forecast, for anyone who missed it - https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21903382

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

highdef wrote: »
    Here's the link to that forecast, for anyone who missed it - https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21903382
    Appropriate to say "One of us! One of us!"? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Appropriate to say "One of us! One of us!"? :D

He’s one of our own..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

So will we by the looks of things :-)
    Tzardine wrote: »
    Th UK looks like they are going to be hammered with snow.

Fuppin grassholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I've always said perturbation 23 was the best of all the perturbations.

Ask anyone

anim_umf2.gif

That is a thing of beauty

Ask anyone

anim_umf2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

That is a thing of beauty

Although it’s small at present, there is the chance that the rest of February could remain significantly cold with the SSW effects? Small chance for now.

I agree, it’s mad how often in Ireland that February and March deliver so much better for snow than December and January. You would think it would be the opposite with the shorter days. Late February and early March have delivered quite frequently, would be great to get something memorable in early February

quote="esposito;116151215"]Although it’s small at present, there is the chance that the rest of February could remain significantly cold with the SSW effects? Small chance for now.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Ask anyone

anim_umf2.gif

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

I wonder did we ever get a purple to hit Ireland? Whats that, -15 Uppers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

arctictree wrote: »

I think we did from a bitter northerly during the Christmas holidays at one stage during the 90s. I can't remember the year, maybe Syran could shed more light on it. What I do remember is an intensely cold but dry and sunny cold spell, we had sub zero temperatures day and night. I remember Scotland in particular getting daytime highs below -20C but I think it was also dry there too. We had a snowy Christmas holiday event as well in 2000 I think but that spell was not quite as cold as it was an unstable easterly.

I think even -20. Central Sweden and Norway are between -15 and -20 degrees this week with a lot of snow. Helsinki has been pounded recently too

I see even Berlin and Copenhagen much further south are also much colder this week than recent weeks and they are going much colder over the coming days

What are we thinking wind strength here if this comes off.
    A little lighter than Feb 2018 episode?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Charts are looking really good now for the most part for a decent 2 to 4 day cold spell next week. There is still uncertainty about how cold it will get, how much snow we will see and how long the cold spell will last. If we can maintain this trend throughout today and tonight then we should be starting to feel more confident.

Everything we have posted over the past day or so should really belong in the up to 120 hour thread by this point, however due to the very confusing modeling with all the ups and downs, the posts are better off in here due to all the uncertainty. I prefer that the charts being posted in the shorter range technical thread contain model data that has a high confidence level. If we can maintain the cold trend right through today I think we will start posting in the other thread soon and keep this thread for charts that are at least a week away.

• Advertisement

I think even -20. Central Sweden and Norway are between -15 and -20 degrees this week with a lot of snow. Helsinki has been pounded recently too

I see even Berlin and Copenhagen much further south are also much colder this week than recent weeks and they are going much colder over the coming days

If we develop a Scandi high with that entrenched cold...well enough said.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    Charts are looking really good now for the most part for a decent 2 to 4 day cold spell next week.

Things looking up when Gonzo is positive! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

The closest I can find is from 1982, but uppers never reaching purple level:

archivesnh-1982-1-6-12-2.png

Night time temps during December 2010 reached lows of -17.5c in Mayo, again the uppers temps not in the purple zone. Interesting readup on 2010 here:

https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/uploads/2017/08/ColdSpell10.pdf

Apologies for going off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Charts are looking really good now for the most part for a decent 2 to 4 day cold spell next week. There is still uncertainty about how cold it will get, how much snow we will see and how long the cold spell will last. If we can maintain this trend throughout today and tonight then we should be starting to feel more confident.

I agree with this Gonzo, but an extended run of cold is quite a possibility I feel. Now this is only gut feeling talking here but:

* The Atlantic has been quite weak for a long time now. Apart from a wet fart of a gale gust here at the end of January (40mph) I cannot ever remember a January in recent times that didn't give some sort of a storm.

* With the cold air well in over the whole island, any attempts by the Atlantic to get back in will be weak affairs, for a time at least.

* Look at Scotland the last fortnight and even parts of NI (N. Antrim and N. Derry) where the Atlantic has been stalling, if this zone gets shifted 250 miles SW we could be in for a run of Atlantic fronts freezing over us and petering out their snow.

As others say, get the cold in place first then look for the moisture. All to play for and the trends have been our friend so far.

One last thing I want to see as we end this week is for soil temperatures to drop rapidly. A few clear frosty nights would be a blessing for keeping snow on the ground longer term should that arrive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I think we did from a bitter northerly during the Christmas holidays at one stage during the 90s. I can't remember the year, maybe Syran could shed more light on it. What I do remember is an intensely cold but dry and sunny cold spell, we had sub zero temperatures day and night. I remember Scotland in particular getting daytime highs below -20C but I think it was also dry there too. We had a snowy Christmas holiday event as well in 2000 I think but that spell was not quite as cold as it was an unstable easterly.

The lowest maximum in Scotland is -15.9c.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

I think we had that in the easterly of 2013 (or maybe 2018). It’s not impossible. I’m sure it’s happened more than a few times.

Considering we get down to at least -10c at some point in most winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

anim_oxd5.gif

The deeper cold air is being advected this way a good bit more efficiently than this time yesterday when there was more shortwave disruption in the North Sea. I think we'll go colder closer the weekend on the output myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭compsys

I agree, it’s mad how often in Ireland that February and March deliver so much better for snow than December and January. You would think it would be the opposite with the shorter days. Late February and early March have delivered quite frequently, would be great to get something memorable in early February

quote="esposito;116151215"]Although it’s small at present, there is the chance that the rest of February could remain significantly cold with the SSW effects? Small chance for now.
    [/QUOTE]

Not at all. There's always a time lag.

February is often the coldest month in a lot of northern hemisphere countries.

I think some of the confusion arises because many in Ireland regard February as spring.

But meteorologically speaking, February is very much a winter month, so there should be no surprise that it's often the coldest and snowiest.

Also sea temps in Feb and March are at their lowest so for an island like us in particular it means we often get our coldest weather around this time of year.

Spring doesn’t properly kick into gear here until April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

anim_oxd5.gif

The deeper cold air is being advected this way a good bit more efficiently than this time yesterday when there was more shortwave disruption in the North Sea. I think we'll go colder closer the weekend on the output myself.

Touch and Go with the isobars on that last frame for me in Bray. Either I get lucky and have the longest sea fetch possible from Blackpool and Morecambe Bay for powerful streamers galore.....or......I have the shortest Sea fetch possible because of the Anglesey Shadow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement