Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks good up to about Wednesday morning then the mild moves up from the south. It may only be a 2 to 3 day cold spell but right now i'll take it over the 06z and 12z.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

541838.png

Who ordered this? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Danno wrote: »
    541838.png

Me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Upgrades all round this evening including the GFS ensembles. Need this to continue.

gens-31-1-120.png

24hrs later... :eek:

541839.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

541838.png

Oh 0.5cm for me, exciting.

T'would bring a tear to y'er eye. :cool:

541840.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

541838.png

Kildare :D

Greater Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

T'would bring a tear to y'er eye. :cool:

541840.png

Not me, I'm in the grey :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would really like to see more upgrades by the morning on both the ECM and GFS as well as the other models. We've had more than enough downgrades over the past two days. We've had some minor but important upgrades this evening but I would like more in terms of long fetch source and duration of event. If we could get back to where we were at yesterdays 12z by tomorrow evening and hold it there for consistency and cross model agreement.

However I've a feeling this rollercoaster still has some ways to go.

Mean 850hpa temps gone sub -8 for most by day 6

gens-31-0-138.png

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Seems to me like we are looking for the end before the event has even started. GFS and ECM have been fantastic today, rebounding on some worries we started to see yesterday. Shouldn’t be looking past this weekend with any certainty, given the ECM in particular will want to pull milder air back at the nearest opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

If only that sodding low would push a bit further south, you'll all be up to your necks in snow drifts and I'll be caught in the cold rain :/ I guess after all the times Ireland has been left on the mild side of an easterly it's time the tables were flipped.

541838.png

Aunty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mean 850hpa temps gone sub -8 for most by day 6

gens-31-0-138.png
    The problem I have is the past two days have been about posts showing -8 and colder "on day 6". I'd really really like to see some solid charts coming in at t+96 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

I often think weather forecasting and models are a bit like snooker. Where the cue ball goes after a pot can determine the whole frame.

Likewise when and where a low pressure etc moves at 96hrs can determine the weather for the next 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

my advice would be to wait until Thursday evening, the models are only just now getting a handle on the Energy exiting the US that will affect us mid-week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

That's the control run. Sneaky ramp, I like it!

GFS control run follows almost the exact same trajectory as the OP but is a longer lived event...

gens-0-1-186.png

gens-0-0-186.png

Lots of chopping and changing to come over the next couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

quick question but with the 18Z when would you start to expect streamers off the sea? Sunday? (not sure if there is any, might be a tint to the isobars but idk) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭esposito

typhoony wrote: »
    my advice would be to wait until Thursday evening, the models are only just now getting a handle on the Energy exiting the US that will affect us mid-week

How worried would you be about this energy entering the Atlantic from the snowstorms on east coast US? It’s not a certainty that it will fire up the jet is it? And if it does, could the low pressure systems diverge south into Iberia and miss us altogether. Trying to be positive...

TTLF wrote: »
    quick question but with the 18Z when would you start to expect streamers off the sea? Sunday? (not sure if there is any, might be a tint to the isobars but idk) :p

This would be the start of it:

GFSOPUK18_110_53.png

110hrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just for fun, who ordered this?

WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR DUBS!

1pAPx49.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

A very informative piece on lake effect snow I found while looking up optimal fetch for streamers, It's an interesting read

http://stream1.cmatc.cn/pub/comet/WinterWeather/oceansnowcase/comet/norlat/snow/lake_effect/1_lo_snow_basic_ingredients.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

pad199207 wrote: »
    Kildare :D

I’m buried in that chart ....... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A very brief flirt with some moderately cold air before it laps back towards the continent.

giphy.gif

I would like the GFS Control run to be the Operational run by the morning.

gens-0-0-252.png

Almost a week of streamers by this point and it's still updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

esposito wrote: »
    How worried would you be about this energy entering the Atlantic from the snowstorms on east coast US? It’s not a certainty that it will fire up the jet is it? And if it does, could the low pressure systems diverge south into Iberia and miss us altogether. Trying to be positive...

The jestream forecast by day 9 or 10 looks like this could be happening as it has gone from menadering to flattening out and heading over us. That to me suggests that robust low pressure systems wil be heading for us rather than sliding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Gonzo wrote: »
    I would like the GFS Control run to be the Operational run by the morning.

gens-0-0-252.png

Almost a week of streamers by this point and it's still updating.

And a couple of undercutting lows to boot. A gem of a run

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement