Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

A little slower alright but looks to be better in the long run. Lows readily sliding under the block

Really enjoying this thread but sometimes get lost on some terminology. Would like to understand what folks mean when they talk about the lows "sliding under" like this and what the upshot is? I gather it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only issue I have with some of these runs, while synoptically very nice, is that sea based convective potential looks limited. I'd like to see lower heights generally. Low cloud tops, snow showers look light to moderate at best in the absence of some embedded trough lines.

Something like this...

arpegeeur-0-114.png?12
    The heights and pressure are fine in that chart (as an example)?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Streamers from Rathlin Island in the North to Mizen in the South by Monday morning on the Icon (with apologies for those in between affected by the IOM and Anglesea)!

iconeu_uk1-1-114-0.png?03-16

I will cry if that happens and my in laws, all 7 siblings, partners and kids will actually lynch me because this is what happened in 2018 for wicklow town and looks to be happening again and I am their resident weather 'guru' (I just follow boards) . And I don't think I can cope with their anguished disappointment again. In 2018 it was 'when is the snow coming, when is the snow coming' with a great effing Anglesea shadow. But Wicklow was in a direct easterly and we got not so much as a flake until Emma roared in and gave us a dumping but was nerve-wracking to say the least.
    Am hoping the winds veer more north easterly. Always a danger of IOM but didn't affect us in 2010. The fetch from a direct easterly is hopeless. Wicklow head is the closest point to the UK mainland from the Republic. I am doomed of that happens. They are already asking me is the snow coming. And when. I despair. Slight nudge ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Mr_A wrote: »
    Really enjoying this thread but sometimes get lost on some terminology. Would like to understand what folks mean when they talk about the lows "sliding under" like this and what the upshot is? I gather it's good.

Low pressure systems from the Atlantic are going underneath the cold block instead of blasting over us and ending the cold spell. The upshot is the cold lasting longer and also the chance of frontal snow with a low pressure system skirting the south coast.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable posters can give a better explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The heights and pressure are fine in that chart (as an example)?

Aye, much more precipitation with a chart like that. Potentially isolated thunderstorms too. More moisture with the track over the north sea too and a longer sea track over the Irish sea.

There are trade offs though - a scenario like that might not last as long + temperatures a teeny bit milder.

• Advertisement

A cracking set of 12Zs tbf. Bring on the ECM

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GEM is rolling out and also an upgrade in the near term. I wouldn't be too worried about GFS precipitation it actually looks hefty enough from Tuesday and near constant along the east coast at least

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ICON and UKMO prolong the spell past midweek whereas the GFS blows up a low pressure system in the Atlantic which brings in milder air by Thursday. Either way some cold and wintry days to come next week for Ireland it would seem :)

GEM keeps the upgrade train rolling.

gem-0-114-1.png

ICON and UKMO prolong the spell past midweek whereas the GFS blows up a low pressure system in the Atlantic which brings in milder air by Thursday. Either way some cold and wintry days to come next week for Ireland it would seem :)
    What is GFS para showing? I thought it was verifying better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

GEM keeps the upgrade train rolling.

gem-0-114-1.png

When does this move to the sub 120 thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good old GFS blowing up lows as per usual, if the other models don't waver that will be flabbier in future runs.

Let's see does it have much support from its own members,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What is GFS para showing? I thought it was verifying better

Not seeing an update to the GFS P yet, this mornings run was similar to the operational. Last night's control run was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    Not seeing an update to the GFS P yet, this mornings run was similar to the operational. Last night's control run was fantastic.

I don't think it updated since yesterday's 6z.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

teddybones wrote: »
    I will cry if that happens and my in laws, all 7 siblings, partners and kids will actually lynch me because this is what happened in 2018 for wicklow town and looks to be happening again and I am their resident weather 'guru' (I just follow boards) . And I don't think I can cope with their anguished disappointment again. In 2018 it was 'when is the snow coming, when is the snow coming' with a great effing Anglesea shadow. But Wicklow was in a direct easterly and we got not so much as a flake until Emma roared in and gave us a dumping but was nerve-wracking to say the least.
    Am hoping the winds veer more north easterly. Always a danger of IOM but didn't affect us in 2010. The fetch from a direct easterly is hopeless. Wicklow head is the closest point to the UK mainland from the Republic. I am doomed of that happens. They are already asking me is the snow coming. And when. I despair. Slight nudge ðŸ™

I wouldn't worry, winds will veer this way and that. You should get your fill at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Actually given the jet stream profile, the GFS scenario isn't that unlikely. It will be hard to sustain the cold with an active jet courtesy of the cold over north America. The best we can hope for is that the GFS is underestimating the strength of the block and that lows will slide.. Mogrep must have seen this development too, but favoured the block being resolute enough to stop the mild winning out.

Let's see what the ECM shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Actually given the jet stream profile, the GFS scenario isn't that unlikely. It will be hard to sustain the cold with an active jet courtesy of the cold over north America. The best we can hope for is that the GFS is underestimating the strength of the block and that lows will slide.. Mogrep must have seen this development too, but favoured the block being resolute enough to stop the mild winning out.

Let's see what the ECM shows.

Hopefully as MT pointed out a few days ago, this will be a wintry spell like 1895 and others, where both sides of the Atlantic are cold.

Mr_A wrote: »
    I'd like to think a certain guy in Met Éireann knew we can't see ECMWF ensembles normally and gave a nice tidbit for us :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Would like to see a very similar ECM to earlier. It's actually much better than the GFS overall and brings possibly nationwide frontal snow potential second half of next week and into the weekend. GFS cuts off the cold from Wednesday with a mild Atlantic rolling back in with ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'd like to think a certain guy in Met Éireann knew we can't see ECMWF ensembles normally and gave a nice tidbit for us :D

:pac: it does look that way, a very personable tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You can! just enter in your location and choose between graphs.

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/charts/web/classical_meteogram?facets=undefined&time=2021020300,0,2021020300&epsgram=classical_plume&lat=53.2719&lon=-9.04889&station_name=Galway,%20Ireland&altitude=-9999

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Some good runs but much of the very cold air has been pushed back to early Monday. No problem with that but I'd like a bit more than 48 hours cold as is shown on a lot of the gef ensembles. If we can get 3 or 4 days of it I'd be much happier. Hopefully the ECM can oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

When does this move to the sub 120 thread !

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Yeah the GEFS mean also blows up the low pressure and brings in the mild air quickly unfortunately. Although the heights over Scandi and Greenland don't go away, so it mightn't be game over if this spells ends.

Today is probably the last day of this cold spell remaining on this thread up to next Wednesday. Lets see what the ECM 12z brings and finally the pub run later. If all remains good then this discussion should move into the shorter range technical thread as we are almost locked into this cold spell from Sunday to Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Yeah the GEFS mean also blows up the low pressure and brings in the mild air quickly unfortunately. Although the heights over Scandi and Greenland don't go away, so it mightn't be game over if this spells ends.

It only takes minor adjustment of a slightly more southerly track to turn that depression into a slider. Many of the longer cold spells like 1947 and 1963 looked like they were a few days from breaking down but rolled on.

We're in a great position this evening pre ECM as opposed to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Where do you get the upper temps for the UKMO? Would like to see temps at 144h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Arduach wrote: »
    It only takes minor adjustment of a slightly more southerly track to turn that depression into a slider. Many of the longer cold spells like 1947 and 1963 looked like they were a few days from breaking down but rolled on.

We're in a great position this evening pre ECM as opposed to yesterday.

The latest Met Eireann monthly predicts Atlantic making a temporary return late next week. They say the last two weeks of Feb will be dominated by easterlies with high pressure not the north.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement