Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Looks like Sexton might not make it judging by some rumours this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Looks like Sexton might not make it judging by some rumours this morning

Pulled hamstring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Pulled hamstring?

No Murray pulled his hamstring....

... As in Murray pulled Sextons hamstring

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Pulled hamstring?

It's in the media that Sexton is out, it's not just an internet forum rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

We are still 2 hours from the announcement and still no mention of Murray’s injury in the IT’s latest team report so surely it would be quite a surprise if they hadn’t heard anything by now.

Ngl I wouldn’t consider losing Sexton as big a disaster as it used to be provided Murray is outside who ever’s at 10, it’s if Murray AND Sexton are out then I’d really start ****ting bricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If sexton o mahoney and Ryan are out.

Whos up next for captain?
    Ringrose would be a good shout and in the leadership group I believe. He is guaranteed his spot if stays fit and in form.

Hendy and stander in the middle of contract negotiations could look for an extra €50k if made captain. Henderson didn't start the last day. I dont believe stander should be captain of Ireland.

Edit. I think furlong is the other member of the group. Again like Henderson he didn't start the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ruddock to captain maybe? He's done it before.

Possibly Ringrose?

If both Sexton AND Murray are out I could see one being announced today and the other being a late withdrawal (albeit I don't agree with that tactic).

Last week really was a calamity of errors and has taken a lot away from this week and the tournament to be honest.

I reckon Stander if Sexton and Ryan are out.

• Advertisement

It wouldn’t surprise me if he is injured but they give him every chance to recover and a final call isn’t made until Sunday...if he is injured ofcourse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ringrose would be a good shout and in the leadership group I believe. He is guaranteed his spot if stays fit and in form.

Hendy and stander in the middle of contract negotiations could look for an extra €50k if made captain. Henderson didn't start the last day. I dont believe stander should be captain of Ireland.

Edit. I think furlong is the other member of the group. Again like Henderson he didn't start the last day.

Who was captain once Sexton went off last week?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Henderson had just been returning from injury, no? Personally think Henderson will get it it but I've have no issue with he, Stander or Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Stander Was captain for the end of the match last week.
    I'd imagine he would be frontrunner captain for the start in the absence of Sextan, Ryan & O'Mahony.

Anyone that believe Stander shouldn't be captain of Ireland. We know what your problem with it is. It's been done to death here, the media and everywhere. Can we just not do that again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

bilston wrote: »
    I k ow you've been against Farrell from the start and maybe even a tiny part of you subconsciously wants him to fail, but let's be clear this IS a quality French team, its too early to say how good it is, but a lot of smart rugby people make them favourites for the 6Ns and at this stage some even think see them as WC winners in 2023. They are a lot more than Antoine Dupont.

Two defeats from two will obviously put pressure on the coaching team, but the IRFU aren't going to sack a coach 40% of the way through a 6Ns campaign. Just not happening.

Also the more pressure Farrell is under from the media and fans like yourself the less likely he is to turn to someone like Harry Byrne or Craig Casey. It becomes a vicious circle.

I'd leave any inquest until after the 6Ns personally.

Farrell has created allot of this pressure on himself and the situation with the halfbacks last wk & this wkend.
    His selections at halfback and FB have been ongoing issues from the get go. - (I thought Keenan played well v Wales)
    He would have got a complete free pass from everybody (Incl IRFU) if he hadnt picked Sexton, Murray, Earls and Healy in the Autumn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Farrell has created allot of this pressure on himself and the situation with the halfbacks last wk & this wkend.
    His selections at halfback and FB have been ongoing issues from the get go.
    He would have got a complete free pass from everybody (Incl IRFU) if he hadnt picked Sexton, Murray, Earls and Healy in the Autumn.

I honestly don't think this is true, as evidenced by some of the more... interesting posts we've seen here in the last week or 2. There'll always be a vocal, outraged minority, regardless of what Farrell does. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

and the boards poster who said parks and burns in was correct.

a few apologies owed

aloooof wrote: »
    Henderson had just been returning from injury, no? Personally think Henderson will get it it but I've have no issue with he, Stander or Ringrose.

Not that I know the guy obviously, he could be the best guy in the world to have in the dressingroom or in a huddle, but does anyone else just not get the captaincy vibe from Henderson at all? He is the main man at Ulster so can sort of understand that but Ireland?

Edit - and as I post this, he's named Ireland captain for Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some random poster got this right anyway :)

So we are in a do or die game and at 9 & 10 we have two players who have never started a match together play (if they have even played together at all)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Some random poster got this right anyway :)

Humble pie get your fresh humble pie 2 slices for a €5 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    So we are in a do or die game and at 9 & 10 we have two players who have never started a match together play (if they have even played together at all)...

People don't want Sexton and Murray to play.

They're not picked and people still are not happy.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »

coughCooneycough

But it looks like that ship has long sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

G'wan Casey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wanna be positive.

But replacing Sexton for Ireland will not be about switching the man. It'll be about rejigging a team that has been built to play in a very specific system around a very specific person.

Don't let this weekend be the forecast of an Ireland without Jonny, because this team has not been calibrated to play without Jonny, that comes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

molloyjh wrote: »
    Just gotten the low down from inside the camp itself. It may or may not have been Farrell himself that I was talking to. But take it from me, this selection will shock you to the core.

Luke McGrath is to start at 9 after Murray pulled a hamstring and collapsed on top of JGP, who hit his head and is taking the mandatory 3 weeks out as a result. He was given a HIA by the team doctor on the sideline and was told he was okay, but new rules apply at this level. Craig Casey has got the s**ts so he's out too.

At 10, a surprise move sees Jack Crowley in as Sexton has failed his HIA, Burns has been fired into the sun from a cannon and Ross Byrne sat so deep in training that the coaches clean forgot he was there. Harry Byrne has insisted on making his Lions debut later this year before making his Ireland debut. Which is fair enough because its exactly what he deserves. Ben Healy has been too busy casting sideways glances at Edinburgh this week, so refused to answer the phone.

Trust me folks, I got a selection right once on another forum and under a different username. You can check it out. Some say it was the most accurate team ever.

You laughed at me. Told you I was right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Let’s go Ireland. Won’t be easy, but let’s have a controlled lash at them. No kicking the ball away. The management have done the right things by Billy Burns, I am thrilled about this. Huge opportunity for him, but I hope people can appreciate the scale of the challenge facing him. Did he play with JGP in autumn game? You’d nearly be more comfortable with Cooney by his side. Delighted with Ruddock getting a start, long over due. Hendo as captain, another Ulsterman to captain his country, good enough for me, but will definitely annoy some!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Heard from my source who's very close to the national team players that I'm mates with who definitely is real that Gibson Park pulled his hamstring in training so Murray is starting.

Just saying what I heard.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

KBurke85 wrote: »
    People don't want Sexton and Murray to play.

They're not picked and people still are not happy.

Ironically that poster had about 25 consecutive posts last telling us how much he hated Sexton and how he always lets us down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Sorry I have to call out Rugby4687 for his blatant misinformation. He stated that Murray pulled his hamstring, however the IRFU report states that Murray suffered a "hamstring strain", not a pull. Therefore, I have no choice but to leave his "ITK" status up in the air until further notice.

*shoots eyes left and right across the room*

Advertisement