Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

nerd69 wrote: »
    He misheard our Lord and savior harry byrne has ascended from the doldrums of the pro 14 so that now he can be to good for international rugby

too*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭nerd69

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    too*

Two because he's twice as good as any other human

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

too*

FAR too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Obligatory "who's starting at 9 and 10" comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Obligatory "who's starting at 9 and 10" comment.

Wait, do you know who's starting at 9 and 10?

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Wait, do you know who's starting at 9 and 10?

Have it on good authority that Burns and Murray are starting, as expected of course.

That's Billy Burns at 9 and Conor Murray at 10, by the way. The logical selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Have it on good authority that Burns and Murray are starting, as expected of course.

That's Billy Burns at 9 and Conor Murray at 10, by the way. The logical selection.

Surely Harry Byrne can just cover both roles? Then we can play with 14 men again and not fill POM’s jersey as a mark of protest against the disciplinary committee’s anti-pashun bias.

Surely Harry Byrne can just cover both roles? Then we can play with 14 men again and not fill POM’s jersey as a mark of protest against the disciplinary committee’s anti-pashun bias.

Option of the bench of course. All building up to Le Drop 2.0 as after 41 phases, Harry Byrne passes it to himself in the pocket to put it over from his own ten metre line. Also hear he's been practicing the classic TRK cross field kick to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'll be delighted if Ruddock gets the call up for this game.
    He has been one of the best & consistent players at Leinster this season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lancaster was made the scapegoat for England’s 15 minute onfield meltdown against Wales in the 2015 World Cup.

In reality, he was doing a good job, and arguably he was the architect of England’s relative success since then.

Nah, he made a mess of England. I think the England job came too soon for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Could be a lot of egg on faces tomorrow if Rugby4568 calls it.... :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Never did find out who brought the horse to France

This is the starting team:
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Tadhg Beirne
    5. Iain Henderson
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh VDF
    8. Cj Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Billy Burns
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan.

Thank me later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Tadhg Beirne
    5. Iain Henderson
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh VDF
    8. Cj Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Billy Burns
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan.

Thank me later

Thank u

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Tadhg Beirne
    5. Iain Henderson
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh VDF
    8. Cj Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Billy Burns
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan.

Thank me later

Subs?

.ak wrote: »
    Could be a lot of egg on faces tomorrow if Rugby4568 calls it.... :D

I don’t think he’s getting piled on about being (supposedly) in the know. He’s getting piled on cos he’s bragging about it. Whether he calls it or not doesn’t really change that, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Tadhg Beirne
    5. Iain Henderson
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh VDF
    8. Cj Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Billy Burns
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan.

Thank me later

It’s 6 Nations time.

E3137-C35-D228-4-E70-86-B0-355-BA9-CA29-FC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Thread is immensely confusing when you have Rugby456789 or whatever his name is on ignore...

aloooof wrote: »
    I don’t think he’s getting piled on about being (supposedly) in the know. He’s getting piled on cos he’s bragging about it. Whether he calls it or not doesn’t really change that, imo.

When did I brag? Sorry if it sounded like I was bragging but I genuinely wasn’t. People just laughed at me and took the piss out of me when I mentioned that JGP and Billy Burns are starting. Reply to one post where you think I was bragging.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Subs?

Not sure mate all I know is that Casey is sub and Ryan Baird isn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭VayNiice

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Tadhg Beirne
    5. Iain Henderson
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh VDF
    8. Cj Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Billy Burns
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan.

Thank me later

Easy to predict the team this late in the day after the journos have printed their predictions.

VayNiice wrote: »
    Easy to predict the team this late in the day after the journos have printed their predictions.

That’s not my prediction I know for a fact that it’s the starting team.

When did I brag? Sorry if it sounded like I was bragging but I genuinely wasn’t. People just laughed at me and took the piss out of me when I mentioned that JGP and Billy Burns are starting. Reply to one post where you think I was bragging.

No problem:
    Well I’m going to prove you that I’m right when they’re not playing this weekend. I’ll also name the starting team tomorrow. I posted the starting team on the Leinster Rugby forum last week and I got it right even check.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thank me later

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

I would prefer JGP and Burns to start tbh. Burns made his mistakes but he's not going to be cast aside over a 10 minute performance so he might as well get some proper game time against high quality opposition.

JGP has looked good previously too and offers a different dynamic to Murray. We know what Murray does and we need to be building real depth in those positions.

aloooof wrote: »
    No problem:

One post. Sorry if it sounded like I was bragging I genuinely wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think Ireland could be in for a big loss at the weekend.

POM is a huge loss, moreso because we have very little options in the lineout. Ryan is out now so we are left with Beirne, Henderson and Ruddock with Stander at 8. None of those will win you consistent ball if the opposition go after your throw.

I would bring Toner back as a straight swap for Ryan.

I cannot understand how Jack Carty isn't number 1 outhalf. He is well ahead of Burns or any of the other back ups. Burns is not an 80% goalkicker not to mind 90%, what you need at international level. Jack has been outstanding lately and his game management and ability to mix his game makes him stand out.

Even if Sexton was fit it is a liability playing him now. He has been a great servant but is so injury/concussion prone he should not be involved. You could say the same for Murray.

I would have Cooney starting and Blade/Marmion as back up.

A defeat at the weekend will leave us in a battle with Italy for the wooden spoon.

Not sure what approach Ireland will take especially if Burns starts. If we kick high and loose Dupont will be very dangerous. It depends on what approach France take too. They haven't beaten us at home in a while so may play it tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If JGP 28 and Burns 26 start i think it will finally put the issue to bed that they aren't international standard... it could be a positive in the long run if it means a shake up in the squad before Italy.

Of all the new players that Farrell has given new caps to these have the lowest ceiling. Both the wrong side of 26 and are inferior to alternative options available, some that are going through contract negotiations..

JgP has never been a consistent starter at any club he has played at.

burns a good club player. But what other team in the championship (bar italy) would he realistically start for..?

Id go as far as say he probably wouldn't be a first team starter in an any of the other provinces at the moment.

I think a 24 year Dupont (world player of the year in waiting) and a 22 year old Jalibert have a massive advantage over them and would be the winning/losing of the game.

I think Ireland could be in for a big loss at the weekend.

POM is a huge loss, moreso because we have very little options in the lineout. Ryan is out now so we are left with Beirne, Henderson and Ruddock with Stander at 8. None of those will win you consistent ball if the opposition go after your throw.

I would bring Toner back as a straight swap for Ryan.

I cannot understand how Jack Carty isn't number 1 outhalf. He is well ahead of Burns or any of the other back ups. Burns is not an 80% goalkicker not to mind 90%, what you need at international level. Jack has been outstanding lately and his game management and ability to mix his game makes him stand out.

Even if Sexton was fit it is a liability playing him now. He has been a great servant but is so injury/concussion prone he should not be involved. You could say the same for Murray.

I would have Cooney starting and Blade/Marmion as back up.

A defeat at the weekend will leave us in a battle with Italy for the wooden spoon.

Not sure what approach Ireland will take especially if Burns starts. If we kick high and loose Dupont will be very dangerous. It depends on what approach France take too. They haven't beaten us at home in a while so may play it tight.

I agree with your first sentence.

The rest of it, not so much....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Infairness we’ve done this to ourselves by giving our other options game time...you reap what you sow.

I still don’t get how you go for Burns and JGP, they have never started a test v a tier 1 nation before and now we are throwing them in against France in a do or die match... surely this is the game to play Ross Byrne, atleast he has a understanding with JGP and the whole backline as all bar Earls are Leinster players.

Advertisement