Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

True. It pales into significance when measured against Donnacha's U19 reign of glory.

I was responding to a comment that Martin Johnson played U21 rugby for New Zealand (which won nothing). I'm pointing out that DOC had a more successful underage career!
    Just to be clear, I wouldn't have thought of DOC's underage achievements if playing for U21 NZ team had not been presented as some sort of a major achievement in MJ's career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

could argue he was a better captain, think itd be hard to argue he was a better player, o'connell's skill level was a fair bit higher overall

That's the recency effect at work. And probably green-tinged glasses too.

Nonsense to the green tinged glasses. I'd rate Matfield and Brad Thorn (of similar vintage) way ahead of MJ for starters as locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    Nonsense to the green tinged glasses. I'd rate Matfield and Brad Thorn (of similar vintage) way ahead of MJ for starters as locks.

Martin Johnson and Fabien Pelous were the two locks on the ERC dream they picked way back. That team covered the period when Munster were at their best and was selected by an independent panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

red-tinged

john eales, bakkies, neil francis(jk), etzebeth, pelous, sharpe, chris jack to name a few also. all were at least as good, if not better players than MJ but maybe not as fantastic leaders (eales excepted). I have a vague recollection of MJ admitting Ben Kay was a much better player than he was in their day in some interview a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Martin Johnson and Fabien Pelous were the two locks on the ERC dream they picked way back. That team covered the period when Munster were at their best and was selected by an independent panel.

and he absolutely deserved to be there due to his leadership qualities, skill-level wise he wasn't amazing. in fairness, foley was at 8 in that team, as great a player and leader he was, i wouldn't say he was the most technically gifted 8 compared to someone like heaslip (although he probably had more lineout ability than MJ)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

O'Connell went on the play for a further 5 years after that, to be fair, and not sure how much we can read into that anyways.

Personally don't think there's much between them, but each to their own.

Yep, Ian McGeechan, Lawrence Dallaglio, Stuart Barnes and Stephen Jones are all neutral! (Only two English players made that team and I remember Dallaglio arguing very strongly for Foley).

Yep, Ian McGeechan, Lawrence Dallaglio, Stuart Barnes and Stephen Jones are all neutral! (Only two English players made that team and I remember Dallaglio arguing very strongly for Foley).

Donal Lenihan was on the panel. Would he know much about playing second row for Munster!

Ian McGeechan was the man who had picked OConnell for the Lions the previous summer. So probably knew a lot more about his qualities than any of us.

This level of nonsense is extremely nostalgic

aloooof wrote: »
    O'Connell went on the play for a further 5 years after that, to be fair, and not sure how much we can read into that anyways.

Personally don't think there's much between them, but each to their own.

ODriscoll was also on the team, so being a current player didn’t really stop anyone from being selected.

Anyway, the idea Johnson wasn’t a quality player and it was all just English hype is extremely daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I was responding to a comment that Martin Johnson played U21 rugby for New Zealand (which won nothing). I'm pointing out that DOC had a more successful underage career!
    Just to be clear, I wouldn't have thought of DOC's underage achievements if playing for U21 NZ team had not been presented as some sort of a major achievement in MJ's career.

Not that it matters for this argument but they only played 3 games that year (in Australia), including against future all time great John Eales. They won all 3.

Donal Lenihan was on the panel. Would he know much about playing second row for Munster!

Ian McGeechan was the man who had picked OConnell for the Lions the previous summer. So probably knew a lot more about his qualities than any of us.

This level of nonsense is extremely nostalgic
    It would have been pretty disasterous PR for Sky Sports if only one player from an English club (and an Irishman at that) made the team.

Dallaglio probably deserved a spot somewhere in the backrow, possibly instead of Rocky Elsom, though fantastic, only played one season.

PS - McGeechan picked Johnson as his Lions Captain as well by the way.

Genuine question - why do you think Scotsman Ian McGeechan would be biased towards an English player over an Irish?

Jesus, why am I engaging.

Like, Johnson is universally regarded as an all-time great of the game and I had never heard anything to the contrary until last night when he happened to be mentioned in the same paragraph as a Munster ligind. Suddenly he's bang average and it was all hype.

Absolutely tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Genuine question - why do you think Scotsman Ian McGeechan would be biased towards an English player over an Irish?

Because he, himself is English?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what the actual FCUK has happened to the Irish Rugby Thread??

ODriscoll was also on the team, so being a current player didn’t really stop anyone from being selected.

I didn't quite mean it that way; just that to completely fairly compare them, POC had a further 5 season of performances to weigh into the equation following that. And as others have mentioned, I'm not sure you can read too much into it besides.
    Anyway, the idea Johnson wasn’t a quality player and it was all just English hype is extremely daft.

Completely agree.

sydthebeat wrote: »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the red carpet incident yet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think this move has a bit of panic involved. But, if the line out and maul get fixed. We are a different team. Let's hope it works.

Dallaglio probably deserved a spot somewhere in the backrow, possibly instead of Rocky Elsom, though fantastic, only played one season.

Complete aside, but it'd probably be Dusatoir for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »

Long story short, IBF started posting regularly again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

In other news.... Deccie has given his seal of approval on Paulie's appointment...
    thats all I need ....the grand slam awaits!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

A hilarious few minutes there for me seeing people question the stature of Martin Johnson as a player and a leader in the pantheon of rugby greats.

And to see people talking about Donncha O’Callaghan in the same breath :)

Paul O’Connell is an all-time great, as is Martin Johnson.

Questioning Martin Johnson’s stature as a player, I mean, come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

It's such a ridiculous conversation discussing who was the best captain. How the hell are we suppose to know what goes on behind the scenes? All you can go on is how successful they were and their quality as a player, which is not a good measure. Or maybe some anecdotal evidence: "X said Y was the greatest leader he ever played with", it's impossible to judge from afar.

Rory Best will never be considered a better captain than POC or BOD because he was never the greatest player, was he a better leader? Who the **** knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah can we all agree that Johnson was a phenomenally good player. I hated the man with a passion when he was England captain. Why? Because when he was in that team they always had a chance of winning because come hell or high water he would drag them to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

With the interpros over and 6 nations looming, what sort of squad to people think will be picked? Any surprises?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wegians89 wrote: »
    With the interpros over and 6 nations looming, what sort of squad to people think will be picked? Any surprises?

From a Munster POV, Beirne, Farrell, CJ, POM should be nailed down based on form Gavin Coombes deserves a bench spot

On promise, Murray is still top 9 but I think Craig Casey should be his main backup, Kevin O Byrne is the form hooker who should be in the squad as a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I'm hoping for a matchday 23 of

Killer
    O'Byrne
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Henderson
    Coombes
    Pom
    Stander
    Murray
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Ringrose
    Henshaw
    Larmour
    Keenan

Healy
    Cronin
    Porter
    Baird
    Casey
    Burns
    Aki
    Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Wegians89 wrote: »

Think I'd go for something like:

LH: O'Sullivan, Kilcoyne, Dooley
    HK: Herring, Kelleher, Heffernan
    TH: Porter, O'Toole, Bealham, Moore
    LK: Ryan, Roux, Thornbury, Henderson, Beirne
    BS: Stander, Baird, Jos. Murphy
    No. 8: Doris, Coombes
    SH: Murray, Cooney, Blade, Casey
    OH: Sexton, Carty, Burns, H. Byrne
    LW: Stockdale, Larmour
    IC: Frawley, Aki, T. Daly
    OC: Henshaw, T. Farrell
    RW: Keenan, Earls
    FB: J. O'Brien, S. Daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

1. Healy kilcoyne o Sullivan
    2. Kelleher herring Heffernan
    3. Furlong Porter Bealham
    4. Beirne Dillane Baird
    5. Ryan Henderson roux
    6. Stander pom (Coombes if pom is off to France next year)
    7. Two from connors/vdf/leavy
    8. Doris

9. Murray Blade JGP
    10. Sexton burns Carty
    11. Stockdale Lowe
    12. henshaw Bundee T Daly
    13 ringrose Farrell
    14. Larmour Conway/Earls
    15. Keenan

Guys like should be apprentices:
    Boyle
    Coombes