Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm not sure Kilcoyne will have enough minutes to get in. He didn't play in Galway because of an injury. There will have to be a game/games in the next two weeks. He's had virtually no rugby for nine months.

We're in big trouble at 10. Sexton looks rusty. Burns was awful in the RDS. Carty is hot and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

JJ is the best performing Irish 10 at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I actually think that POM us doing more than enough to be considered our first choice 7, which isn't something I expected 12 months ago. His pink play looks better than Connors or VDFs.

Killer and Furlong not being back will ultimately prevent either from being involved. They only have 1 or 2 games available so for now I'm assuming they are out. Whats the timeline on Stockdale, Henderson and Ringrose? Anyone know whats going on with Lowe?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I actually think that POM us doing more than enough to be considered our first choice 7, which isn't something I expected 12 months ago. His pink play looks better than Connors or VDFs.

Killer and Furlong not being back will ultimately prevent either from being involved. They only have 1 or 2 games available so for now I'm assuming they are out. Whats the timeline on Stockdale, Henderson and Ringrose? Anyone know whats going on with Lowe?

I never knew that about Peter, it will come as a shock to Jessica after three kids that he is playing with the pinks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JJ is the best performing Irish 10 at this point in time.

As said, we're fcuked at 10 currently

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    As said, we're fcuked at 10 currently

JJ can kick his points, which is a lot more than any other 10 did this weekend. On form he starts against France in a few weeks time.

But we know he won’t, Sexton is undroppable unfortunately and if his form continues without drastic improvement then our best hope of a top 3 finish in the 6 nations is a COVID cancellation and the table decided alphabetically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Which is why an SOS needs to be sent out for Ian Madigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Which is why an SOS needs to be sent out for Ian Madigan.

We need a water carrier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

JJ can kick his points, which is a lot more than any other 10 did this weekend. On form he starts against France in a few weeks time.

But we know he won’t, Sexton is undroppable unfortunately and if his form continues without drastic improvement then our best hope of a top 3 finish in the 6 nations is a COVID cancellation and the table decided alphabetically.

I have Burns ahead of JJ. More reliable kicker and better at opening up defences. JJ doesn’t put himself on the line and likes to take an arm chair ride too often. How is he when his pack are being beaten up? Burns is capable of getting things going when his pack are being beaten.

I’d even have Madigan ahead of JJ. Tries a lot harder.

Hanrahan is brutal. Nowhere near the level that’s required. Joe Schmidt thought that Madigan was good enough to play in the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hanrahan is brutal. Nowhere near the level that’s required. Joe Schmidt thought that Madigan was good enough to play in the World Cup.

We all respect you as a player Ian, you don't need to take it so personally.

Bazzo wrote: »
    We all respect you as a player Ian, you don't need to take it so personally.

Broadband or mobile data didn’t exist in 1976 so I doubt that Ian has access to Boards up in the Six Counties.

I have Burns ahead of JJ. More reliable kicker and better at opening up defences. JJ doesn’t put himself on the line and likes to take an arm chair ride too often. How is he when his pack are being beaten up? Burns is capable of getting things going when his pack are being beaten.

I’d even have Madigan ahead of JJ. Tries a lot harder.

How did burns do behind a pack that were getting parity for a lot of the game last Friday.
    (****e is the answer)

As I said, JJ is the best performing Irish outhalf at this moment in time. (Unfortunately)

Broadband or mobile data didn’t exist in 1976 so I doubt that Ian has access to Boards up in the Six Counties.

Joke of the year.
    Hands down.
    Give out the prize.
    That won’t be beaten.

Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hanrahan won't be picked. A career of mediocrity will not be simply overlooked because of a handful of decent (and no more than decent) displays.

Still leaves us with the problem of who to pick. Most likely it'll be Sexton, Burns and one of R Byrne or Carty.

Burns, R Byrne and Carty look like mediocre options now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yup. Depressing, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭theVersatile

LH: Healy, Cronin, O'Sull, Byrne
    HK: Herring, O'Byrne, Kelleher
    TH: Furlong, Bealham, O'Toole, Porter
    LK: Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Roux, Toner (for experience and guidance more than actually playing)
    FL: Connors, VDF, POM,
    N8: CJ, Doris, Ruddock
    SH: Murray, JGP, Blade
    FH: Sexton, Burns, Byrne
    CT: Henshaw, Rungrose, Farrell, Aki
    B3: Earls, Keenan, Larmour, Stockdale, Daly, Lowe

Additional to train:
    Casey
    Whycherley
    Coombes
    H. Byrne
    JOB
    Stew Moore
    J Hume
    Paul Boyle
    Wootten

Yup. Depressing, isn't it.

Which would make me think we need to push the BIG RED PANIC BUTTON and go with Healy or Harry Byrne on the bench.

Gv_eJV.gif

Which would make me think we need to push the BIG RED PANIC BUTTON and go with Healy or Harry Byrne on the bench.

Gv_eJV.gif

Go with Healy and hope he doesn’t have to tackle anyone, like that Rob Kearney effort he put in on Dillane.

• Advertisement

They’re mediocre but at least have a good attitude. I know I’ll get slated for this because you can’t quantify attitude but I always get the feeling JJ is out for a walk in the park and wants his teammates to break their backs for him. I’ll get slated for this as some will say quality over effort but I believe effort makes up for a lot of failings in skill etc. Hanrahan isn’t the most skilful and he doesn’t put in the effort across the 80 either. The others are more intelligent fly halves also if slightly less athletic than JJ.

As I said Burns can get his back line moving when they’re going backwards. JJ can’t

I should say the above is in relation to Carty and Burns. I don’t think Ross Byrne is interested in or capable of changing a game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

JJ can kick his points, which is a lot more than any other 10 did this weekend.

Would you back him to kick a last minute penalty to win a match against France or England in the 6N?
    He hasn't been the best at making pressure kicks in the past....and that's for Munster. Big step up to international games and he hasn't exactly made a case for getting selected in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Why no Porter

VANG1 wrote: »
    Why no Porter

Dry January?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Would you back him to kick a last minute penalty to win a match against France or England in the 6N?
    He hasn't been the best at making pressure kicks in the past....and that's for Munster. Big step up to international games and he hasn't exactly made a case for getting selected in the past.

He hasn’t miraculously morphed into a big pressure kicker all of a sudden, he’s just the only OH putting in some bit of a performance consistently at this current point in time, which says more about the performances of every other OH in the country that JJ is ahead of them than anything else.

He hasn’t miraculously morphed into a big pressure kicker all of a sudden, he’s just the only OH putting in some bit of a performance consistently at this current point in time, which says more about the performances of every other OH in the country that JJ is ahead of them than anything else.

He’s the recipient of an improving team around him he isn’t the catalyst for that change!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

mfceiling wrote: »

He hasn't been as bad at pressure kick as is made out, imo. A lot of it stems from the Leinster semi-final where he missed 2 relatively easy penalties that would've gotten Munster within one score. It was a bad day at the office, no denying that.

But equally, he has scored pressure kicks too. Most recently the conversion against Clermont on 72 mins when the score was 31-30. He was flawless off the tee that day. He scored 9/9 I think, and it really kept Munster in the game.

Having said that, I don't think he's the answer either. Up until Friday, Billy Burns was playing pretty well and seemed to be next in line behind Sexton. I don't think one game is enough to change that, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Furlong hasn't played in months, so I think he's going to miss out. Ringrose is hurt again, probably best to let him recover. Henderson out too.
    Healy is looking at the end of his international career. It's very obvious he's not the same player as he was. Sexton is average too.
    I would expect Farrell to stay the course though. I reckon we'll see a very experienced but underwhelming squad. I believe this will be a poor 6nations, if it happens.
    After the tournament, I think we'll see an outflow of some players and an influx of younger lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Murray was back to his best yesterday. Made some very handy tackles, passing was crisp and, his kicking was as good as you'll see anywhere in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

He’s the recipient of an improving team around him he isn’t the catalyst for that change!
    Ross Byrne has 11 caps by the same logic.

Advertisement