Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So you're just using that most annoying politician tactic:

1. Stoke up flames of resentment about a huge problem that you claim to exist - Huge inequity between the provinces where they'll never ever be able to catch Leinster unless something is done by the IRFU
    2. Say you favour a magical solution, where the huge problem is solved but it involves no one taking any significant pain - the playing field needs to leveled but not in a way that drags back Leinster
    3. Refuse to propose your own magical solution - Claim in your post other solutions are needed but have only giving us the gem of sharing Barrett's 6 month salary across 3 provinces
    4. Get annoyed when those in power do not have the magical solution that resolves the issue - we haven't gotten to this part yet but I presume we'll see it post the CC review process

• Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭phog

I didn't bring him up at all, at all, so why ask me.

I'm just commenting on the posters who told us that wouldn't play for SA now down playing his actual game time, more so, his game time in the final. As if subs time in any game should be discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

again, a bizarre scenario.

We have more players than we can use and people hate the national coach and team for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Good example of outcome bias. SA selected Kleyn as 4th choice lock. They won the World Cup therefore Ireland should have selected Kleyn.

Also by the same token Ireland should travel to the next tournament with one hooker and a flanker/hooker hybrid (VDF can do that job) and start a 10 who can’t kick. We should also start with a 7-1 split. Here’s a simple fact, we exited the RWC at the QF again, SA won two RWCs in a row. Q.E.D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Can we leave the Kleyn talk, it's been done to death. There's a dedicated Kleyn NIQ thread if people want to discuss it further.

• Advertisement

Aside from the "annoying politician tactic, flames of resentment, magical solution, the gem of…" digs, you keep saying things like "claim to exist".

It's objectively true to point out the Central Contracts will be the most imbalanced they've ever been, by an order or magnitude, come next season. That's not a claim. It's a fact.

You continue to say that it is a huge problem and that you want it changed but at the same time you claim that you don't want Leinster 'dragged back'.

That is absolutely impossible and at this stage you know it full well by the fact you aren't even able to suggest one solution that would even scratch the surface of a huge inequality.

Come on, just be honest. Even if you want there to be, in the real world there isnt a magical solution that can cover you talking out of both sides of your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Munster apparently signing Brownlee and one of our props. Rumors of Boyle? There ye go! A future international prop and a very good, imo, inside center! Factor in Loughman and Jager, not to mention Hadden and Foxe and of course Beirne! That's quite a haul with 4 really young options on the way. Not sure if there's CC contracts in there.

Ulster signing Max and Ed Byrne. Byrne signing probably means that O'Sullivan is out. I think Richie Murphy will ply some lads away into the academy.

If we're just talking CC's, I have no clue as to what the answer is. Short of shredding Leinster, that is.

Leinster are on course to win both competitions this season. They are due to be stronger next season.

Imo, even without Jordie Barrett and Snyman, I'd expect Leinster to be favourites for both competitions next season.

If the funds used for those players, which is only freed up next season due to the change in Central Contracts isn't "dragging them back" this season, there's no reason to think it'd "drag them back" next season.

Straight question. Do you think the imbalance in the Central Contracts is a potential issue for the IRFU that could have further ramifications?

If the gulf is so wide as you claim then how much does the salary of 1.5 NIQs close the gap when it is spread across 3 other provinces? 0.5 of an NIQ for each province does sweet f all if Leinster are miles ahead.

I'll happily answer your questions but I'm not letting you move the goal posts until you either provide a credible low impact solution or accept that to move the needle it is going to damage Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭50HX

Can you clarify what you mean by its quite a haul?? Is it leinster players moving to munster?

I haven't moved any goalposts.

The current ratio of CC for Leinster:Rest is 7:5. Next season it wil be 10:3. That's objectively true. I don't think anyone would claim Leinster are "damaged" currently with the current distribution.

My point is, I think it's possible to acknowledge there's a potential, growing problem while ackowledging it's a difficult problem to solve, and not knowing what the solution is.

I've been very careful in my posts to do all of that. I've also been very careful to praise Leinster and acknowledge that the other provinces need to do better elsewhere.

But that still doesn't mean the above isn't a potential problem.

None of what I've said is "stoking up flames" or "favouring magical solutions" or anything like that.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yep. It's a good haul, if true. Boyle would instantly be in the 23. Brownlee will probably have to move position.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Imbalance in central contracts isn't the problem, it's a symptom. The real problem is player development is not where it should be in the other three provinces. Some of that is on the IRFU, some of it is demographic, but a lot of it is to do with local leadership and how they've invested. Throwing more money at the problem isn't necessarily going to help if the people spending it aren't spending in the right areas.

And is it worse than it's ever been? When the Ireland team was dominated by Munster, was the imbalance much better than it is now? I genuinely don't know, but my sense is that the distribution was probably similarly skewed then, no?

The takeaway for me is - saying it's unfair that Leinster get more headroom in their budget because of central contracts is too dismissive of the fact that they've succeeded in developing players that attract those contracts. If there's something to be done, it's to focus investment on the barriers to the other provinces doing the same. That's investment the IRFU should be making, but it shouldn't come out of Leinster's earned budget, imo.

Post edited by fitz on

• Administrators Posts: 53,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone with an interest in this topic should listen to the latest episode of The Counter Ruck (the Irish Times rugby podcast).

D'Arcy is the guest on it, he was on a central deal himself, he knows exactly how it all works. His points are very interesting.

You would nearly think that D'Arcy reads boards. 😉

When the Ireland team was dominated by Munster, was the imbalance much better than it is now? I genuinely don't know, but my sense is that the distribution was probably similarly skewed then, no?

I've been searching for sources for this exact data, and it's incredibly difficult to come by (as compared to nowadays). But it seems to be agreed that there were 25-30 central contracts in the 00's.

If you look at the 2003 and 2007 Rugby World Cup squads - imperfect, but likely a reasonable analog; squads of 30, and we had 2-3 overseas players - yes Munster had the highest number of players but the distribution is nothing like it is now.

And I think that makes sense; while Munster dominated the starting pack and half-backs, they never dominated the full 22 in the way Leinster dominate the 23 now. Leinster had 16 players in the 23 for the first game of the 6 Nations. I'm not sure Munster were ever that dominant.

Using the RWC squads, and distributions in the 22's at the time, it seems to suggest Munster, at some point likely had an imbalance similar to this season's (or maybe slightly less).

But it doesn't look like it was ever close to it being 3x the number of the other provinces combined.

So it's not something that's cyclical. The distribution from next season seems to be a huge outlier.

But it seems to be agreed that there were 25-30 central contracts in the 00's.

That's one of the issues, the IRFU have reduced the number of contracts available, that in itself needs to be reviewed.

To add, fwiw, here's what I found. Sources are an Independent.ie article, threads on here from the time and 2003,2007 are the RWC squads, as mentoned.

So I suspect imperfect but indicative:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭50HX

I see what you are saying but there is about as much logic in saying that beirne & jager went from leinster to munster as there is in sean cronin from munster to leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster finished 2nd to Leinster in the normal table in 19 / 20, 2nd in 20 / 21, 2nd in 21 / 22 and 2nd in 22 / 23. Other teams would like that level of failure. I assume there is prize money for doing so. They are playing like crap this year without doubt.

It's probably not any individual player's fault that they don't have or have not developed the individual talent of their counterpart in Leinster. That is down to genetics, coaching, access to playing and having an interest from an early exposure to the game. There definitely was a seismic collapse when Payne and Peel left. There was a change in the relationship between the head coach and the players which was negative. He changed the playing style in a rather wasteful way and it's hard to get back to the status quo once that occurs.

There are systemic failures in rugby in Ulster without quibble. (The failure on here appears to be that they aren't as good as Leinster.) Without doubt, they are at a low point in the cycle. It is more due to societal divisions in N.I.. Half the population have no interest at all in rugby for well known historical reasons. That half don't play it at school. If you don't do that you won't develop an interest particularly when there are pressures not to do so, however subtle. It's still a 'them' and 'us' story sadly.

In the 'other' half of the population, a huge % don't give a flying Boris for rugby never did, never will and hardly knows it exists. Demographic changes as a consequence of recent history has led to many of those State schools that once played the game becoming too small in pupil numbers to field teams or in fact to simply being shut down. The Ulster branch can't suddenly magic up thousands of kids to play the game. Many of the clubs that were central to the great Ulster sides of the 80's and 90's and which also provided large numbers of Ireland starters have all but disappeared. Sides like North of Ireland, Collegians, Bangor, Ards, CIYMS and others have either gone are are much diminished.

Just like in Dublin now, a large proportion of players for Ulster would have attended private boarding schools. For the pursuance of a perverted ideology, one political party, when they ran the education portfolio, basically in effect if not in law, banned private education. It only exists in tiny pockets. Many Grammar Schools that were the bastion of rugby are gone. They couldn't survive financially. If you are an NI parent who wishes private education for your child within the UK you have little choice but to send the kids to England or Scotland. I now live in a fairly remote part of Scotland near Gordonstoun School. My friend here sends his children there. They are just back from the Hong Kong Sevens with the school. There are quite a surprising number of N.I. children there. It's not even the most expensive at £10,000 per term. Fettes College in Edinburgh is £36,945 per year. Again, quite a surprising number of N.I. children attend. It is easy to ignore the persistent exodus of a part of the population over the last 25 years or so. If you were a parent of an 18-year-old school-leaver in N.I. and the son or daughter goes to University in G.B. you know they aren't coming back.

I have also believed for a long time that the committee system in Ulster is helping the failure to thrive as we might expect. Additionally, the Academy has failed year-on-year to further the talents of seemingly promising players.

The £900,000 hit over the La Rochelle debacle was almost the straw that broke Ulster's back.

• Advertisement

I would get the IRFU to appoint the coaches to the academies. I have met and observed and actually personally knew quite a few of those at Ulster over the years. Some were not what was needed…….being polite. Jobs for the boys springs to mind. A new broom……etc

Brilliant post, jaco, very interesting to get the Ulster perspective to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

It's good data to have, thanks for pulling together - and in a weird way it's almost reflective of the relative gap between the teams at various points.

But as others have said - there is very little to be gained by consistently pointing out the disparity. Nobody queries this.

But it's purely down to player production. The bar is unquestionably higher now to get to a CC - guys like Gavin Coombes or James Hume might have picked up 10-20 caps in the 2000's, but Ireland are so much better relatively now, and so are the players they're competing with to get CCs.

I can't understand the griping though around a system though that simply allows Leinster to retain the players they produce. The only remedy for this is for the other provinces to produce players worthy of winning a place in the Irish team and then in time earning a CC (just like Jack Crowley).

To me - there seems to be two different things though sought by fans on this forum - some want the IRFU to fund/permit significant relaxation of the NIQ rules to allow Munster & Ulster sign a greater number of NIQs in an effort to close the gap to Leinster in the first team right now. This would be the short term and incredibly short-sighted solution that would actually exacerbate the current situation.

The only solution that remedies the current situation is continued investment in facilities, coaching and talent identification in underage pathways, but the unfortunate thing is it's not a short term fix. It might take years to catch up.

Brilliant post

Again, quite a surprising number of N.I. children attend. It is easy to ignore the persistent exodus of a part of the population over the last 25 years or so. If you were a parent of an 18-year-old school-leaver in N.I. and the son or daughter goes to University in G.B. you know they aren't coming back.

This is replicated across most counties in Ireland, some move to Dublin, the rest move abroad.

I look at the school classes that my kids went to, there's few enough of them living locally.

But as others have said - there is very little to be gained by consistently pointing out the disparity. Nobody queries this.

To be fair, I was replying to a post where someone had questioned the disparity; or, at least, compared it to Munster in the 00's. They're not comparable, the distribution from next season is the, singular, significant outlier since CC's were introduced.

I can't understand the griping though around a system though that simply allows Leinster to retain the players they produce. 

I don't think anyone is saying Leinster shouldn't be allowed retain the players they produce. Certainly the centrally contract players, obviously. But this is too simplistic.

The "griping" is because the mechanism that allows them to retain these players now gives them a much, much more significant advantage over the other provinces than it previously had. Surely you can understand why?

(As an aside, I can completely understand why some Leinster fans are happy with the current status. I don't agree, but I understand it).

Like I said, it's new territory. It's perfectly reasonable to question if it was ever intended to work this way. And if it wasn't 1) could it have further ramifications and 2) if so, should it be something the IRFU look at?

I've asked this above, but straight question. Do you think the imbalance in the Central Contracts is a potential issue for the IRFU that could have further ramifications?

Whiff of Cordite put this as follows:

I think the law of unintended consequences have played out and the system has landed in a place it was never supposed or expected to where it now risks perpetuating the superiority of the strongest team.

I think that's a completely fair comment and is pretty much exactly what I've been saying.

Well, let's let the actual science speak to this point rather than your local survey of your kid's classes:

From the 2016 census to the 2022 census the Irish population grew by just over 361k people, c. 8%. Every county in the country experienced population growth (first time this happened in the history of the State).

While inward migration was certainly a factor (c. 53% of the population growth), we also have significant natural population growth (360k births over the period versus 189k deaths), and have a fertility rate that is the fourth highest in Europe.

While growth in Dublin City is strong at c. 6.1% over the period, growth in Limerick is very comparable at 5.4% over the same period (Cork County is 8.1% and Cork City 5.4%).

There are quite different dynamics at play in Northern Ireland, where while the population was also growing at the 2021 census, it is quite clear there are demographic shifts happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Very informative post.

Ulster finished 2nd to Leinster in the normal table in 19 / 20, 2nd in 20 / 21, 2nd in 21 / 22 and 2nd in 22 / 23. Other teams would like that level of failure. I assume there is prize money for doing so. They are playing like crap this year without doubt.

Agreed and I've said before McFarland (and the coaches) did well to right the ship considering that Ulster were, as they are now again, a basket case. But when you look at the caliber of player they had, and have had, they should NOT be in in this state. Again! They have underperformed.

I have also believed for a long time that the committee system in Ulster is helping the failure to thrive as we might expect. Additionally, the Academy has failed year-on-year to further the talents of seemingly promising players.

Would be very interested to hear more about this.

The £900,000 hit over the La Rochelle debacle was almost the straw that broke Ulster's back.

Definitely. And add in the subsequent embarrassing performances from the players the IRFU have had to go into Ulster and remove the CEO (I think that's also the 2nd time) and The Head Coach because of the complete balls they were making of it. They have had to pay them off. With IRFU money.

IRFU have had to parachute in their U-20 coach and the national team scrummaging coach to take over.

Massive decisions ahead for Kevin Potts and David Humphreys. I hope Humphreys is going to be involved in recruiting.

No, I don't think it ever was intended to end up like this.

And, fwiw, while every fan of every team wants to see their players earn international caps etc., we're all fans of the Irish team first and foremost, and every single Irish fan would welcome a scenario where the Irish team is not so reliant on Leinster.

The issue I see with this though is that if the IRFU look at this and decide to take action - current fans of Munster and Ulster mightn't like the solution.

I know they're trying to strike a balance between keeping the provinces competitive enough now to keep fans coming in the door while simultaneously encouraging the development of young players, but the answer can't always be more NIQs who take up more game time, or simply raid the Leinster squad depth whenever there is a shortfall.

Some of this will wash out over time I do believe, because I think Munster's production of players (and willingness to back and trust young players) has improved significantly in recent years, but ultimately the seeds of the current CC situation were sown a long time ago, and will take a couple of years to re-balance.

With regard to the Central Contracts issue, in most walks of life, those that are the most talented or most successful usually get the most reward. Rewards in sport are usually the consequence of talent plus hard work. Being a professional rugby player demands hard, hard work so the rewards should be commensurate with the combination of talent and effort. Talent on its own is not enough of course. Dedication and coaching are also vital. The most talented (apparently) players are at Leinster. We will never know if a player from one of the other sides would be up there if they were in the Leinster system rather than say, Ulster's. Would James Hume or Robert Baloucoune be on the list if they were in Dublin rather than Belfast? I suspect they might. Would Stockdale have had his flaws eradicated rather than expanded by being with Lancaster……? I think he might. I also suspect that a few of Ulster's squad wouldn't have made it out of Leinster's Academy and that more than a few who disappeared without trace in Ulster's would have graduated to senior status via Leinster's. These are the things that I observe.

I have been playing and then watching rugby since the 1950s Essentially it hasn't changed as much as many think. It is still a game for warriors. If you don't have that warrior spirit then it will be hard to make a mark. However, having that alone is not enough. Little Lowry at Ulster has it in spades but he hasn't got the rest of the equation to be effective despite his abilities.

In seasons past, quite often the difference between Leinster and Ulster was the desire of Leinster players to simply win no matter what…and BOD of course.

The Central Deals aren't given out like smarties for being a good boy. I'm not sure why there is such a reaction to them. If we didn't have them, these guys would still be the best paid. The IRFU owns the teams. They do not "subsidise" them. Someone above declared that the IRFU subsidised Ulster. No they do not. They pay for the running of each Provincial side, own each outright and in the end carry the can when things go wrong as well as getting the kudos when things go right. Ulster didn't 'subsidise' the IRFU by donating a brand new 20,000 seat stadium to the property portfolio. If anything, I hope the IRFU take a greater hand in the running at Ulster. There was a time when Ulster had it right. Too many management appointments have been just wrong. When the heads are full of ballix the body isn't much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I think it all comes down to money, no?(and to a certain extent population). This is reason why, i do not think any of the other 3 provinces will ever close the gap on Leinster.

A lot of the private rugby schools are in Leinster - i think a huge % of the current pros playing in Ireland have come from Blackrock and possibly St Marys? (might have the wrong school). I have no figures to prove it, but i would suspect that the money in schools rugby in Leinster is probably more than the other provinces combined.

The schools feed the academies, which feed the provinces.

Is this the fault of Leinster, no. But its harsh to expect the other provinces to be able to match this and while I wouldn't argue against anyone currently on a CC - something has to change.

Advertisement