Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow school issues clothing diktat to female students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

GarIT wrote: »
    Principal claims nothing was said about male teachers being distracted and the students/parents that went to the news embellished the story.

The students have to wear their PE gear to school all day because of covid, can't get changed any more. Lots of girls were wearing leggings, he said it turned into a fashion show and he just gave an assembly to remind of already existing uniform rules.

Only heard the end of it, but he sounded absolutely broken that the situation ended up this way.

Sounds like a dangerous game of chinese whispers was at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good interview by the Principal, another story of people looking to find offence where there is none .

I’d say some parents blew this way out of proportion..

Usual stuff that happens in society..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Quelle surprise. An embellished story that gained further legs along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jrosen wrote: »
    Embellished stories by parents and students. Can’t say I’m surprised
    F*ckin eejits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

jrosen wrote: »
    Embellished stories by parents and students. Can’t say I’m surprised

Literally!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Problem with the school is that they were asked numerous times to clarify the story yesterday and they wouldn't respond at all to queries. I wouldn't necessarily believe the story as the principal said either based on their hesitance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Quelle surprise. An embellished story that gained further legs along the way.

"I had my fun that is all that matters". Shure it made the day go quicker!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I didn't like that the interviewer asked 3 times why he didn't give the assembly to the boys and if he regretted that.
    Althought it did give him an opportunity to answer that the lads were almost all wearing tracksuit bottoms which is allowed in the uniform policy as it is for the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Hurrache wrote: »
    Problem with the school is that they were asked numerous times to clarify the story yesterday and they wouldn't respond at all to queries. I wouldn't necessarily believe the story as the principal said either based on their hesitance.

Seeking legal advise probably?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If i was a male teacher in that school i wouldnt be at all happy to have one of the students who "embellished" (read: insinuated i was a sex offender) this story in my class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The story is growing and other smaller radio and media running with a false narrative. Is there no consequence! How can they get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If the reports about the girls being told that the “staff are being distracted” are true, I assume that it is the male staff (predominantly), who are being ‘distracted’.
    I just checked the school website and I notice that 75% of the teachers are female. So the finger of shame is being pointed at the male staff, all of them.
    Every male teacher in that school is under suspicion of behaving in an unprofessional way towards female pupils.
    My take on this story is that it falls in to a familiar pattern of demonising men and boys at every opportunity. You never hear the word ‘masculine’ these days without the word ‘toxic’ being added to it.

Hey...............what about the lesbians in that 75% of staff? Surely they're entitled to be "distracted" as well. Please don't "exclude" them.

Sheesh...this place is full of homophobes

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Hmm, know a child relentlessly bullied in that school. Principal's response 'nothing to see here' when the parents reported it. I wouldn't have much faith in the school's version of events. They just like to maintain their school's 'image'.

GarIT wrote: »
    I didn't like that the interviewer asked 3 times why he didn't give the assembly to the boys and if he regretted that.
    Althought it did give him an opportunity to answer that the lads were almost all wearing tracksuit bottoms which is allowed in the uniform policy as it is for the girls.

This is just a nonsense..

The issue the school had was with the teen girls’ clothing

Tight revealing leggings was the issue.

We know exactly the clothes that the school us takin it about here

Teen girls wear them, and they are quite revealing, and not appropriate dress for school

I have never seen boys wearing these type clothes..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If i was a male teacher in that school i would be fuming esp if a male teacher didnt complain.
    I can prob see where the school were coming from but they handled it badly
    Its not just a school issue either. A previous employer i had, dresscode was semi formal and would do a month or 2 of casual to raise money for charity. HR had to have a chat to employees about appropriate attire for the workplace coz of 1 or 2

Yup, nearly every office has a dress code. Like, I'm male and I have to wear a shirt and tie to work despite being in an IT role. Is it necessary for my job, nope, but dress code is there. Same on casual days, it's business casual, not come in dressed in a football jersey and shorts day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

My 18 year old daughter was told last week to wear looser black trousers, that the slim fitting ones she was wearing ‘was setting the women’s movement back years’ and not to step back in said female teacher’s class wearing them.

Also announcement over tannoy for all girls to wear baggy PE leggings, no tight fitting ones allowed.

So it’s not just the one school that has this issue.

Seeking legal advise probably?

Possibly, but legal advice as to how they should deny it given their may be some element of truth? If the claims were flat out untrue there's no legal advice or delay required to clarify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The principals interview on the radio just there covered all angles.
    There's nothing at all to see here.

This is again one in an ever extending line of stories built on comments and unsubstantiated "stories" on social media. It is unfortunate our world is going this way.
    It has caused a lot of distress for pubils, staff and parents in the school and for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    My 18 year old daughter was told last week to wear looser black trousers, that the slim fitting ones she was wearing ‘was setting the women’s movement back years’ and not to step back in said female teachers class wearing them.

Also announcement over tannoy for all girls to wear baggy PE leggings, no tight fitting ones allowed.

So it’s not just the one school that has this issue.

There was a school in Tallaght recently told the girls can't they wear ankle socks as it's distracting for the male students

walshb wrote: »
    We know exactly the clothes that the school us takin it about here

Teen girls wear them, and they are quite revealing, and not appropriate dress for school

I know you're a grown man, physically anyway, but I like to think all grown men I know don't get distracted by school girls enough to have their eye turned by what they wear, looking long enough at kids to memorise how revealing they may be, and feel uncomfortable about it.

Have you thought that maybe the problem is with you?
    I have never seen boys wearing these type clothes..

Wow, I am surprised you don't see schoolboys wearing girls clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Possibly, but legal advice as to how they should deny it given their may be some element of truth? If the claims were flat out untrue there's no legal advice or delay required to clarify it.

You'd still be taking legal advice due to the media storm.

I know you're a grown man, physically anyway, but I like to think all grown men I know don't get distracted by school girls enough to have their eye turned by what they wear, looking long enough at kids to memorise how revealing they may be, and feel uncomfortable about it.

Have you thought that maybe the problem is with you?

Wow, I am surprised you don't see schoolboys wearing girls clothing.

No problem with me

School wants a dress code. I agree with them.

You may be the one with the problem

As for the boys: the answer I gave was the boys were not the issue for the school. The girls were. Hence the nonsense to address the boys on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Principal made a very salient point.

Students were getting upset about what they heard was said in other assemblies. This bore no resemblance to what was actually said in the assembly.

A similar point made by Parents Assoc person, who has two daughters in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The chairwoman of the parents council matches up with the principals story tbf
    Mary O’Driscoll, chairwoman of the parents’ council at Presentation College, said the school held an assembly to reiterate the schools uniform policy to students after some students had taken it “upon themselves” to wear whatever sports pants they wanted contrary to the school’s uniform policy.

She said she has a 17-year-old and a 15-year-old who attend the school and her younger child had “no issues with what was said at the assembly”.

Mrs O’Driscoll said: “Before Covid, there was rule in place where students couldn’t bring in their tracksuits on PE day. They had to bring in their tracksuits and change for PE time. With Covid that rule was relaxed – as in they were allowed to wear their tracksuits into school on PE day.

“Their school tracksuit is basically plain bottoms with no logos. What’s happening, seemingly, lately – some students have taken it upon themselves to wear in leggings which are not part of the PE uniform. It’s tracksuit bottoms.

“So as far as I’m aware – the assembly was held to reiterate the school uniform policy which they’re all aware of when they start school. They all sign up to the code of conduct.”

Asked whether students were told the reason for not wearing leggings was because it was distracting for staff members, Mrs O’Driscoll said: “I have spoken to a few people that were in those assemblies and they have told me that they weren’t told that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

The distraction they are talking about is no doubt the fact that anybody's eyes, male or female, is drawn to clothing that is inappropriate, overly revealing, and possibly ill-fitting! Not distracted in a creepy or perverted way, but because the sight may be an assault to the eyes and difficult to ignore no matter how a person may try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

So, a non-issue catatrophised by our increasingly hysterical and agenda-driven national media. Lies swallowed, inflated and propagated.

Remember Ireland: THE TRUTH MATTERS.

It would be comical were it not for the potential of this moral grandstanding to ruin the lives of well meaning people.

My thoughts are with the principal and staff of that school this morning.

You'd still be taking legal advice due to the media storm.

The media storm was pretty much because of their reluctance to answer queries, and they let it roll.

No problem with me

School wants a dress code. I agree with them.

You may be the one with the problem

As for the boys: the answer I gave was the boys were not the issue for the school. The girls were. Hence the nonsense to address the boys on this..

More than once have you commented on what kids wear and how revealing they may be, and how uncomfortable you are because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

this story just shows that the media are really thrash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    The distraction they are talking about is no doubt the fact that anybody's eyes, male or female, is drawn to clothing that is inappropriate, overly revealing, and possibly ill-fitting! Not distracted in a creepy or perverted way, but because the sight may be an assault to the eyes and difficult to ignore no matter how a person may try!

But there was no distraction mentioned by the school. It seems this element of the 'story' may have been fabricated.

Unless someone is willing to say "I was at the X year assembly and Ms. Y said the tight clothing was distracting for the males". Then this story has no substance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement