Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow school issues clothing diktat to female students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The whole profession is toxic. It used to be held in high regard, I now regard it as a dumping ground for intelligent people not suitable for the commercial and industrial world.

Teaching hasn't been held in high regard since the majority of the country got educated. Everyone thinks they can teach and that it's a handy number. Like yourself.
    I don't know how you can back up saying that the whole profession is toxic. What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’d like to know more because some of the information about this is bizarre. Imposing a uniform regulation is one thing but one parent has claimed the students were told they couldn’t expose collarbones, ankles or wrists. Was that really said and if so why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

kippy wrote: »
    Everyone thinks they can teach and that it's a handy number. Like yourself.
    I don't know how you can back up saying that the whole profession is toxic. What does that even mean?

Where did I say it was "handy", its a very stressful environment, harders so with massive growing numbers of autism related issues in the classroom, plus mobile phones and social media have a lot to answer for. Why would a straight guy want to go into a workplace with all this SJW talk of Toxic masculinity, gender differences, child protection etc etc etc and 20 years later be accused of inappropriate touching or relationship. Fupp that!!! For the same level of effort a stem teacher could be working in any other industrial/commercial area for nearly twice the pay and a fraction of the grief.

I usually find teachers to have a bit too much of Miss Jean Brodie and not enough real world experience.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I’d like to know more because some of the information about this is bizarre. Imposing a uniform regulation is one thing but one parent has claimed the students were told they couldn’t expose collarbones, ankles or wrists. Was that really said and if so why?

ITs like the nuns are coming back into education but in a different uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

jrosen wrote: »
    It’s important to point out nowhere has it been confirmed that a teacher made any complaint about being distracted.

It should be rooted out as to who specifically took the issue in that particular direction and they should be quizzed on it.

You are right, I see nothing in the schools statement to this effect. My guess is that some outraged facebook parents are conducting a witch hunt now playing loosely with the truth hiding behind the old "body/image shaming" young women.

They have suffered too long and my 12 year old deserves the right to wear leggings 4 times to small because tiffany and Chloe wear them aswell and im a bad parent if I say no. In other words they dont want to deal with the meltdown that would ensue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ITs like the nuns are coming back into education but in a different uniform.

I would be very surprised if a woman, nun or otherwise, wrote that letter (if such a letter even exists).

It has a 'those teenage temptresses' vibe about it that is really peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    It should be rooted out as to who specifically took the issue in that particular direction and they should be quizzed on it.

You are right, I see nothing in the schools statement to this effect. My guess is that some outraged facebook parents are conducting a witch hunt now playing loosely with the truth hiding behind the old "body/image shaming" young women.

They have suffered too long and my 12 year old deserves the right to wear leggings 4 times to small because tiffany and Chloe wear them aswell and im a bad parent if I say no. In other words they dont want to deal with the meltdown that would ensue

Just let the teachers address the issue like every other issue that the parents fail to address in the home that they ought to be doing, instead of ignoring the kids ...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

spurious wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if a woman, nun or otherwise, wrote that letter (if such a letter even exists).

It has a 'those teenage temptresses' vibe about it that is really peculiar.

Can you post a link to this letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Some leggings nowadays are barely better than a pair of tights.
    I personally don't care what anyone wears and will defend to the death the right to dress as you please but I'm guessing not everyone thinks like that.

If it's a comment from the principal then it should be passed to the students in the correct manner and an explanation of the proper attire for p.e. explained to all.

But they dont have a right to wear what they want, they are kids in school. Part of school culture is to observe rules.

Part of modern culture seems to fostering a spirit of complain my rights are being infringed when im not allowed do exactly as I please. And thats unhealthier than following the rules laid out by some old fart principal.

EDit wrote: »
    Can you post a link to this letter?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/carlow-school-tells-students-not-to-wear-tight-fitting-distracting-pe-clothes-1041154.html

Firstly there is no letter. It was a talk given to the students. So it is he said she said. Now we all know how prone teenagers are known to exaggerate stories and we all did it on occasion "literally". Also the parent didnt want to be identified so she wasnt full prepared to back it up.

Media raking sugar for a story on a non-day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭lalababa

The whole yoga pants thing has gone too far. Tis like going down the street half naked. And never ming seeing their knickers...they don't have knickers!
    As a heterosexual it's bordering on dangerously distracting.
    There's even auld ones wearing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Since this story appeared yesterday I've said the same thing. There seems to be one side to it. Perhaps it was said but a little more critical examination of what happened would be useful by the media rather than running with headlines v

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Apparently none of this was put in writing by the school authorities. Every school has a policy on uniforms and dress code. It is normally an agreed document between parents and the school. If that code is adhered to, what is the problem?
    If the reports about the girls being told that the “staff are being distracted” are true, I assume that it is the male staff (predominantly), who are being ‘distracted’.
    I just checked the school website and I notice that 75% of the teachers are female. So the finger of shame is being pointed at the male staff, all of them.
    Every male teacher in that school is under suspicion of behaving in an unprofessional way towards female pupils.
    My take on this story is that it falls in to a familiar pattern of demonising men and boys at every opportunity. You never hear the word ‘masculine’ these days without the word ‘toxic’ being added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

It’s sounding more and more likely there was a particular type of parent behind this. I’ve heard it myself, they think their child can wear whatever they like no matter what skins on show., there doesn’t seem to be a line they consider inappropriate and if anyone questions it’s always brought back too “if others can’t control themselves that’s on them”
    Never considering that it’s not always appropriate to wear what you want

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/carlow-school-tells-students-not-to-wear-tight-fitting-distracting-pe-clothes-1041154.html

Firstly there is no letter. It was a talk given to the students. So it is he said she said. Now we all know how prone teenagers are known to exaggerate stories and we all did it on occasion "literally". Also the parent didnt want to be identified so she wasnt full prepared to back it up.

Media raking sugar for a story on a non-day.

If there is no letter than how can someone (in post #72) opine that the letter wasn’t written by a woman and has “a ‘those teenage temptresses' vibe about it that is really peculiar.”? Surely it has to exist for someone to come to such a definitive conclusion about its origin and contents?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You can bet that this policy was directed at the older teen girls in the school, where if they are dressing in the type clothes you see some of them wearing, then the school is dead right..

Schools are not the place for some of these overly revealing clothes..

We all know what we’re talking about here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I'm heartened to read the support, and critical thinking, shown by most in this thread. As a male teacher, the amount of jumping through hoops just to do my job to avoid any inkling of suspicion is quite arduous,and incidents like this do absolutely no one and favours.

I've worked in all girls schools before, most parents are delighted to have a male presence in the school to balance out what is increasingly becoming a female dominated profession. Hopefully this incident draws attention to the flippant way men can be thrown under the bus to make a point, and the danger that more exists in doing so.

Male teachers who would have taken the girls sports teams etc are increasingly walking away as all it takes is one idle comment like above taken out of context to bring down armaggedon on a school. If I were in Carlow, not knowing full facts, id be on to my union to press the BOM for a public retraction, and then get back to normal.

But I'm glad to see from the comments here that most people sensibly see through this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

If there is no letter than how can someone (in post #72) opine that the letter wasn’t written by a woman and has “a ‘those teenage temptresses' vibe about it that is really peculiar.”? Surely it has to exist for someone to come to such a definitive conclusion about its origin and contents?

SHOCK! HORROR!!

someone on the internet is making up facts to back up their argument.

(Not you, but the teenage temptress letter poster)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you would like to quote less selectively, you will see I said 'if such a letter exists'. Turns out it doesn't.

The Principal is a man. Did he give this 'talk'?

Unfortunately not all are sensible, the usual pervert teacher comments are rolling in on the journal Facebook page.
    This story aside, the worrying trend of people relying on click bait pretend journalism for important information is concerning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think yes both men and women can find tight clothes distracting, but its not necessarily in a sexual way.
    People always assume its in a sexual way.
    For example there are women who I wouldnt be in the least bit attracted too and wear clothes with bits of flesh hanging out and camel toes galore, that i do find distracting.

Its distracting in that you just wonder, why? That is disgusting.
    Yet if I said to one of them that i find their getup distracting they would just assume that its sexual.

It is just like if I decided to go into work wearing leggings with my junk all on display and a crack up through my a rse wobbling as i walk. And string vest with my hairy shoulders and a big hairy belly hanging out over it. I think people would be justified in saying that my getup was distracting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

walshb wrote: »
    You can bet that this policy was directed at the older teen girls in the school, where if they are dressing in the type clothes you see some of them wearing, then the school is dead right..

Schools are not the place for some of these overly revealing clothes..

We all know what we’re talking about here..

Mod:

This is not a thread to start blaming children or talk about them in this manner

This is the only warning in relation to this or harsh sanctions will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

If i was a male teacher in that school i would be fuming esp if a male teacher didnt complain.
    I can prob see where the school were coming from but they handled it badly
    Its not just a school issue either. A previous employer i had, dresscode was semi formal and would do a month or 2 of casual to raise money for charity. HR had to have a chat to employees about appropriate attire for the workplace coz of 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I started writing the last post before the mod note. Principal on Morning Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    even if the sight of a teenage girl in skintight apparel "distracted me", and lets be honest its very possible
    Pffft - no man has ever found a teenage girl in skin tight clothing distracting.

spurious wrote: »
    If you would like to quote less selectively, you will see I said 'if such a letter exists'. Turns out it doesn't.

The Principal is a man. Did he give this 'talk'?

It really doesn’t matter how much of your post i quoted, you clearly showed your prejudices in assuming that a non-existent letter wasn’t written by a woman and had a creepy vibe about it.

In terms of the “talk” given by the principal there is just too much BS flying around on this to come to any conclusions IMO. For example, the whole thing about not showing ankles sounds like a Chinese whispers-like over exaggeration to me

If i was a male teacher in that school i would be fuming esp if a male teacher didnt complain.
    I can prob see where the school were coming from but they handled it badly
    Its not just a school issue either. A previous employer i had, dresscode was semi formal and would do a month or 2 of casual to raise money for charity. HR had to have a chat to employees about appropriate attire for the workplace coz of 1 or 2
    This is why guy dont want to teach, you wouldnt have that get up in an office, while looking over spread sheets or in a factory manufacturing parts. Life is too short to be dealing with that hastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Principal claims nothing was said about male teachers being distracted and the students/parents that went to the news embellished the story.

The students have to wear their PE gear to school all day because of covid, can't get changed any more. Lots of girls were wearing leggings, he said it turned into a fashion show and he just gave an assembly to remind of already existing uniform rules.

Embellished stories by parents and students. Can’t say I’m surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Good interview by the Principal, another story of people looking to find offence where there is none .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement