Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow school issues clothing diktat to female students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,125 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Imagine the looks the male teachers are gonna get in that town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I would think it’s possible.
    For a start we don’t know who is supposedly distracted. Unclear if any teachers made a complaint and surely it would be job suicide to imply you were distracted by tight clothing on a student.

Perhaps a comment taken out of context and someone is outraged?! School PE must be no more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I hope the Mods will keep an eye on this thread. The last one unfortunately had to be deleted, due to the disgusting comments passed about children.

If male teachers haven't raised this as an "issue", they should down tools or something.

They're being made look like total nonces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread doesn't belong in AH, moved to CA

Given this is the second attempt at a thread on this, and the last one was closed after a large volume of completely unacceptable comments, posters stirring or trolling can expect bans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

If male teachers haven't raised this as an "issue", they should down tools or something.

True. You’d wonder if there is a Mary Whitehouse type on the school Board of Management

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Its pretty simple. Issue an affordable designated PE uniform for kids in September and have them wear that.

Absolutely stupid statement from the school to say teachers were distracted, what kind of fool is running a school that could not see the implications of a statement like that.

Make the statement that certain attire is inappropriate, which it certainly is. I myself have a teenage daughter and trust me when I say what she would class as sporty fashion (and theres murder in our house for not letting her out in it) would have no place in a school PE lesson.

Im all for freedom of actions, but school is school so follow the rules. Everyone would prob be too afraid of the feminist backlash but some of the get up on these young girls in general leaves no margin for error so to speak, and the only ones sexualising it are the people who are too afraid to parent and tell them no, not the people who object to it.

Some clothing lines for young girls nowadays are quite frankly disgraceful, and its passive parents that are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Its pretty simple. Issue an affordable designated PE uniform for kids in September and have them wear that.

Absolutely stupid statement from the school to say teachers were distracted, what kind of fool is running a school that could not see the implications of a statement like that.

Make the statement that certain attire is inappropriate, which it certainly is. I myself have a teenage daughter and trust me when I say what she would class as sporty fashion (and theres murder in our house for not letting her out in it) would have no place in a school PE lesson.

Im all for freedom of actions, but school is school so follow the rules. Everyone would prob be too afraid of the feminist backlash but some of the get up on these young girls in general leaves no margin for error so to speak, and the only ones sexualising it are the people who are too afraid to parent and tell them no, not the people who object to it.

Some clothing lines for young girls nowadays are quite frankly disgraceful, and its passive parents that are to blame.

It’s important to point out nowhere has it been confirmed that a teacher made any complaint about being distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Clickbait journalism yet again most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If this is a made up story, someone is an idiot.

If the principal issued the statement without talking to teachers, they can't be trusted to run a bath, never mind a school.

If a teacher actually complained about being distracted by teenagers in leggings, they need to be sacked and the gardai should probably check their hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

And if they did raise it, they should also down tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Piehead wrote: »
    True. You’d wonder if there is a Mary Whitehouse type on the school Board of Management

The school seems archaic. Apparently they told the girls "not to tighten their jumpers or sweatshirts in any way to accentuate their shape" and not to take their jumpers off even in the summer. Never show their ankles in PE. How do you even show off your body in a sweatshirt ffs.

jrosen wrote: »
    It’s important to point out nowhere has it been confirmed that a teacher made any complaint about being distracted.

That fact is getting lost in the cacophony of misandry, that men can't control themselves etc.

I'd wager truppence - this did not come from a male teacher.

If it did, he should be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Clickbait journalism yet again most likely.

This was the most ridiculous thing RTE has ever run as as a serious story on the main evening news. If I was a local newspaper editor I'd be embarrassed to have this petty school dispute as a story in my paper yet RTE saw it worthy of a three minute segment on the main national news bulletin.

I see that their online coverage comes replete with a "toxic masculinity" quote... That whole rotten organization needs a complete clear out and needs to focus on real news, not this bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Teachers in that school should go out on strike till the school apologise for that statement and clear up the any issues related to the teachers. Some of the comments about the teachers are outrageous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s weirdly worded. I’m guessing it’s just “Don’t wear inappropriate clothes” - hardly a new rule. But the whole thing of saying it distracts the teachers makes the teachers sound dodgy when it’s probably more that they’d find skimpy or skintight clothes on minors a bit embarrassing and inappropriate. Granted, there can be pervy teachers but they would be a huge minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

.anon. wrote: »
    And if they did raise it, they should also down tools.

I think they should leave their tools well enough alone in the circumstances.

That fact is getting lost in the cacophony of misandry, that men can't control themselves etc.

I'd wager truppence - this did not come from a male teacher.

If it did, he should be sacked

I can't imagine a genuine teacher complaining about teens in leggings, or teens showing off ankles, or teens in provocative sweatshirts making them uncomfortable.
    Feels more like school ethos running wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

strandroad wrote: »
    The school seems archaic. Apparently they told the girls "not to tighten their jumpers or sweatshirts in any way to accentuate their shape" and not to take their jumpers off even in the summer. Never show their ankles in PE. How do you even show off your body in a sweatshirt ffs.

I will most likely be wrong on this. (as usual) :pac:

But I'm going to call bull**** on this story for simple reasons.

1. I went through school 25 years ago and not taking your jumper off would have been a joke even in them old days.

2. Most teachers I am friendly with are female, and they are not stupid people, none of them are living in the 1950s

Its social media driven journo clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

There absoloutley has to be more to this story. I dont believe anybody could be that stupid or out of touch with reality to go down that road and actually say that about kids in their care.

I mean if there is some sort of problem with kids taking the piss out of their uniform rules then just enforce your uniform rule like what happens in most functional schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I can't imagine a genuine teacher complaining about teens in leggings, or teens showing off ankles, or teens in provocative sweatshirts making them uncomfortable.
    Feels more like school ethos running wild.

Genuine female teacher here not in that school but in a similar one. The leggings parents send girls to school in can often be of a very poor quality there just the in thing at the moment and I for one find it awful to see their knickers through them as they walk down a corridor in front of me. I don’t go looking for it they’re just there. Some wear leggings with see through panels at the side, grand for at home but I dont need to see their upper thighs bad tan lines and the outline of their vagina.
    Fair enough if they can’t afford better quality leggings they’re are systems in place to assist there but none of ours would have financial issues.

Leggings are fine if they are designed for PE and sport activities but some types are designed for loungewear and are not appropriate.

Maybe I’m just old fashioned?

Teach30 wrote: »
    Genuine female teacher here not in that school but in a similar one. The leggings parents send girls to school in can often be of a very poor quality there just the in thing at the moment and I for one find it awful to see their knickers through them as they walk down a corridor in front of me. I don’t go looking for it they’re just there. Some wear leggings with see through panels at the side, grand for at home but I dont need to see their upper thighs bad tan lines and the outline of their vagina.
    Fair enough if they can’t afford better quality leggings they’re are systems in place to assist there but none of ours would have financial issues.

Leggings are fine if they are designed for PE and sport activities but some types are designed for loungewear and are not appropriate.

Maybe I’m just old fashioned?

Rest assured you're not going to see the outline of anyone's vagina through their leggings, it's not where their vagina is...

What about them showing their ankles or tightening their sweatshirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

1. I went through school 25 years ago and not taking your jumper off would have been a joke even in them old days.

I wouldnt be so sure, there were reports of kids not being allowed wear coats when sitting beside open windows all day, because rooms need to be kept ventilated, and rules are rules...
    Rest assured you're not going to see the outline of anyone's vagina through their leggings, it's not where their vagina is...
    Vulva so, if that makes it any better...

What about them showing their ankles or tightening their sweatshirts?

Ever hear of camel toe?
    Certain leggings are less "accommodating" than others. Grey must be the worst.

2. Most teachers I am friendly with are female, and they are not stupid people, none of them are living in the 1950s

Its social media driven journo clickbait.

We weren’t allowed to take our jumpers off in school!

Ever hear of camel toe?
    Certain leggings are less "accommodating" than others. Grey must be the worst.

Think they mean it’s the vulva you would see. The vagina is internal.

Think they mean it’s the vulva you would see. The vagina is internal.

Pedantic, but anatomically correct!

Pedantic, but anatomically correct!

I know. Personally I say vagina for my outdoor bits. Vulva sounds too like biology class.

I know. Personally I say vagina for my outdoor bits. Vulva sounds too like biology class.

There's also labia!
    Poor vaginas get blamed for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe the letter originated from America and has slowly been introduced in the UK and here hence the wording , similar applied to dress codes for teaching staff including a reference to gang affiliated tattoos .

But I believe they should impose stricter uniform controls rather than send a letter like that out ,
    Saves hassle for all involved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement