Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

John_Rambo wrote: »
    So, seven months on. Have the people who said they wouldn't get vaccinated seen the light?

Seen the light how? I'll sit this one out at least until the trial period has ended-thanks for being my guinea pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

sabat wrote: »
    Seen the light how? I'll sit this one out at least until the trial period has ended-thanks for being my guinea pig.

Seen the great effect the vaccines are having and watching the reopening of society while the antivaxxers will either be hiding away in fear or walking around asking everyone to cough in their face like you were boasting of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tell us more about this trial you are running.

josip wrote: »
    Tell us more about this trial you are running.

Here's Reuters, one of our resident debunkers' favourite fact checking sites:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-vaccine-monitoring-idUSKBN2AC2G3

"The post correctly notes that the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has been given an “estimated study completion date” of Jan. 31, 2023 (here). For the COVID-19 vaccine created by Moderna, studies are expected to end on Oct. 27, 2022 (here)."

I've never refused a vaccine or any medication before in my life fwiw; any time I needed a vaccine for a country I just made the appointment and rolled my sleeve up without hesitation. But hey, if calling me names to other me makes you feel better about your decision, knock yourself out.

... But hey, if calling me names to other me makes you feel better about your decision, knock yourself out.

Sorry, I don't understand the last part?

• Advertisement

Here's Reuters, one of our resident debunkers' favourite fact checking sites:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-vaccine-monitoring-idUSKBN2AC2G3

"The post correctly notes that the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has been given an “estimated study completion date” of Jan. 31, 2023 (here). For the COVID-19 vaccine created by Moderna, studies are expected to end on Oct. 27, 2022 (here)."

I've never refused a vaccine or any medication before in my life fwiw; any time I needed a vaccine for a country I just made the appointment and rolled my sleeve up without hesitation. But hey, if calling me names to other me makes you feel better about your decision, knock yourself out.

The safety trials are over, safety monitoring will continue, as they should, and as happens for all medicines.

You don't see the difference though, do you? Or are being purposefully obtuse when trying to spread misinformation.

But look, you've been spectacularly wrong about vaccines before and will continue to be spectacularly wrong into the future no doubt.
    None of these mRNA vaccines will be rolled out for at least 10 years. You're all being trolled spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

astrofool wrote: »
    The safety trials are over, safety monitoring will continue, as they should, and as happens for all medicines.

You don't see the difference though, do you? Or are being purposefully obtuse when trying to spread misinformation.

But look, you've been spectacularly wrong about vaccines before and will continue to be spectacularly wrong into the future no doubt.

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

After a lot of thinking I’ve decided to not take the vaccine same with wife and my children.

We are not classed at high risk, and it’s shown to be low risk for children on that basis is why we won’t take it.

Pain in the backside to pay for tests going on holiday but that’s the rules.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    After a lot of thinking I’ve decided to not take the vaccine same with wife and my children.

We are not classed at high risk, and it’s shown to be low risk for children on that basis is why we won’t take it.

I'm just curious, if you developed a heart condition and your doctor prescribed warfarin (rat poison) would you take it or would you refuse and put your affairs in order/book your funeral instead?
    Covid mightnt kill you but then again if left rampant it might or someone you know
    Vaccines stop it killing you and stop it killing other people when take up gets to herd immunity
    Covid-Dirty
    Vaccines-clean

I'm just curious, if you developed a heart condition and your doctor prescribed warfarin (rat poison) would you take it or would you refuse and put your affairs in order/book your funeral instead?
    Covid mightnt kill you but then again if left rampant it might or someone you know
    Vaccines stop it killing you and stop it killing other people when take up gets to herd immunity
    Covid-Dirty
    Vaccines-clean

Not the greatest analogy. I understand it can be dangerous to certain people they need to risk assess everything they do until they get the vaccines.

Uptake seems so high it won’t be long until we achieve herd immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I was worried given how quickly they were brought in and approved etc. But am booked in for one next week. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I've read the reports about stillbirths linked to covid. I know the numbers are very small, but it's still a concern. I'm still worried about potential side effects, but I suppose less worried than I'd be just not taking it and hoping for the best for the next two months until the baby arrives.

I generally don't have a lot of time for anti vaccers in particular when they don't vaccinate their kids, but I think this situation may be slightly different because of the speed at which they were introduced. I've seen people opposed to the covid vaccine, who wouldn't ordinarily be opposed to vaccines in general.

Edit to add in a perfect world I would just isolate for 8 weeks and not take a chance with a vaccine or being exposed to covid but unfortunately we have several people in our close circle who are not being as cautious as they should be, so there is a risk poses by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Seen the great effect the vaccines are having and watching the reopening of society while the antivaxxers will either be hiding away in fear or walking around asking everyone to cough in their face like you were boasting of.

June 2020: "Restrictions? You can live under your bed, but not me pal. You won't see me living in fear!"

June 2021:"Vaccine? Are you crazy? It's an experimental jab and you're all guinea pigs! Keep that thing away from me. You're all gonna die!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Ah Jaysus, the risks are low, benefits huge and the New World Order are not trying to barcode you with it. It's a no brainer, just go for it :)

Not the greatest analogy. I understand it can be dangerous to certain people they need to risk assess everything they do until they get the vaccines.

Uptake seems so high it won’t be long until we achieve herd immunity.

I would note that you're exactly what society has been trying to protect against, won't get vaccinated, let everyone else get vaccinated for you and determined to travel by air as soon as possible.

Hopefully the price of PCR tests goes up substantially once everyone else is vaccinated :)

I would also note that the requirement for you to wear masks will go on much longer than those who are vaccinated (which is fine, I'd disagree with others who try to make an issue of it in public as long as you're obeying the guidelines).

Antares35 wrote: »
    I was worried given how quickly they were brought in and approved etc. But am booked in for one next week. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I've read the reports about stillbirths linked to covid. I know the numbers are very small, but it's still a concern. I'm still worried about potential side effects, but I suppose less worried than I'd be just not taking it and hoping for the best for the next two months until the baby arrives.

I generally don't have a lot of time for anti vaccers in particular when they don't vaccinate their kids, but I think this situation may be slightly different because of the speed at which they were introduced. I've seen people opposed to the covid vaccine, who wouldn't ordinarily be opposed to vaccines in general.

Edit to add in a perfect world I would just isolate for 8 weeks and not take a chance with a vaccine or being exposed to covid but unfortunately we have several people in our close circle who are not being as cautious as they should be, so there is a risk poses by them.

I would note that everything done around pregnancy is absolutely safe and there would be no taking any chances at all by doctors and the medical industry around this.

It's also a time when people are most susceptible to stories and anecdotes and cranks pushing an agenda which can be hard to wade through, witness a few anti-vaxxers trying to spread FUD on the pregnancy forum. Those people are disgusting and should be vilified and ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

And that is ok - I am sure you will get slammed here but for those folks I would point out.

Herd immunity is achieved through vaccines and natural immunity (those who have contracted Covid) - as the vaccine % goes up (prior to herd immunity), the unvaccinated folks will be the main spreaders, currently those younger than 45, but eventually just those < 18 - during this time you can expect the daily cases to stay surprisingly high (even no change means a higher density in younger folks), but hospital numbers should go down.

Since the main spreader of things like Flu are school kids and since school kids will be the last to get vaccinated (if approved), there is an expectation that we could have near herd immunity come September, with localised outbreaks amongst school kids (and their immediate unvaccinated families), which may put you at higher risk of getting covid, especially when you consider that there won't be any need for lockdowns when the hospitals have low numbers.

But like you say, your at low risk of getting serious Covid and once you have had Covid you will also be contributing to the herd immunity...

I would note that you're exactly what society has been trying to protect against, won't get vaccinated, let everyone else get vaccinated for you and determined to travel by air as soon as possible.

Hopefully the price of PCR tests goes up substantially once everyone else is vaccinated :)

I would also note that the requirement for you to wear masks will go on much longer than those who are vaccinated (which is fine, I'd disagree with others who try to make an issue of it in public as long as you're obeying the guidelines).

I’ve have had no problem following the restrictions to the letter, I don’t mind how high the price of the PCR goes I will pay it to travel if that’s forever so be it.

Masks are a good thing and I will wear one even when this eventually goes if only to stop the colds and the flu.

Mimon wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, the risks are low, benefits huge and the New World Order are not trying to barcode you with it. It's a no brainer, just go for it :)

But I see the the risks of the contracting the virus as low as does all the science from my own situation.

But I see the the risks of the contracting the virus as low as does all the science from my own situation.

Your risk of contracting the virus will be high, your risk of severe disease from the virus by developing COVID-19 symptoms is variable and will depend on how your immune system responds which is a complete unknown for everyone until they have contracted the virus.

The virus is likely to become endemic once adults are vaccinated as children will readily pass it to each other but not suffer symptoms. It will only be eradicated if we get a high %, including children, vaccinated, and this needs to be done on a worldwide basis, which could take many years.

I would note that everything done around pregnancy is absolutely safe and there would be no taking any chances at all by doctors and the medical industry around this.

Outrageously dangerous misinformed post.

• Advertisement

Ah sabat, now that you're here, would you mind clearing up my confusion in post #1777 above?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

RTE News at 1 reports Hiqua claims those that have contacted Covid 19 have natural immunity for upto at least 9 months.

I'd consider this an important piece of information and deservant of more exposure.
    Especially to those that have concerns about recieving the vaccine unecessarily.

The general consensus till now has been those that already contacted the virus should still get vaccinated to boost their immunity.

If the HSE implemented antibody testing, think of the amounts of vaccine that would be freed up and the speed up of the vaccination programme if these findings are taken into account.

josip wrote: »
    Ah sabat, now that you're here, would you mind clearing up my confusion in post #1777 above?
    Thanks.

Obviously I was talking about "anti-vaxxer" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So when it's your turn to be vaccinated you'll decide the trial period is over and you'll get vaccinated.

Stick it to the Man you rebel!

So when it's your turn to be vaccinated you'll decide the trial period is over and you'll get vaccinated.

Stick it to the Man you rebel!

I won't have "a turn." If I decide I need it I'll take it. That is my absolute right. Do you understand that this is not an approved medicine? That won't be determined for many years. It's been authorised for emergency use only. The long and even medium term side effects are completely unknown.

I won't have "a turn." If I decide I need it I'll take it. That is my absolute right. Do you understand that this is not an approved medicine? That won't be determined for many years. It's been authorised for emergency use only. The long and even medium term side effects are completely unknown.

I reckon when your age group are being vaccinated you'll get vaccinated. Most people that have a little anti-vax hissy fit get vaccinated when their cohort is being done.

Where did I call you an anti-vaxxer?

I reckon when your age group are being vaccinated you'll get vaccinated. Most people that have a little anti-vax hissy fit get vaccinated when their cohort is being done.

That you think you have the right to insult me over this speaks volumes about the atmosphere that's been stirred up by the state. My health insurance is still valid-is yours, if you have any? The insurance companies have all confirmed that they don't cover any issues arising from this. You took an injection because the people on the telly told you to. "Congratulations"

That you think you have the right to insult me over this speaks volumes about the atmosphere that's been stirred up by the state. My health insurance is still valid-is yours, if you have any? The insurance companies have all confirmed that they don't cover any issues arising from this. You took an injection because the people on the telly told you to. "Congratulations"

So will you. ;)

• Advertisement

All of this has been debunked previously, this is dangerous misinformation that is not based in any reality that you are continuing to post.

Advertisement