Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Being reported on twitter that Pfizer have achieved its safety milestones according to NY Times conference

"We're very close to announcing our final results," Pfizer chief Albert Bourla

What were the skeptics moaning about last week? Is it approval from the FDA or another similar authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Being reported on twitter that Pfizer have achieved its safety milestones according to NY Times conference

"We're very close to announcing our final results," Pfizer chief Albert Bourla

Does this mean he actually has the results ? Given it’s an independent board that see them. I assume he’s only told when they reached the interim number of infections and the final target number, and not when they’re “almost” at the final number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Russman wrote: »
    Does this mean he actually has the results ? Given it’s an independent board that see them. I assume he’s only told when they reached the interim number of infections and the final target number, and not when they’re “almost” at the final number ?

Would assume that they've been told they've hit the target number. Details to follow appearently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

When do people think the first person will be vaccinated?

Just a bit of fun - My guess is Dec 16th in the US, with first Irish vaccination sometime in late January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Just a bit of fun - My guess is Dec 16th in the US, with first Irish vaccination sometime in late January.

I'd bet around the middle of January too. Which county first... come on Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Hardyn wrote: »
    Hopefully by the end of the month. Early December at the latest. Yes once it's complete they are able to apply for EUA.

EUA refers to FDA approval. As someone linked earlier the EMA have only started the rolling review of the Moderna application and only the nonclinical data and some of the early clinical data has been submitted.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-starts-rolling-review-mrna-covid-19-vaccine-moderna-biotech-spain-sl

A big part of the submission will be the pharmaceutical quality data and there is no mention of that having being submitted yet so that timeline may be ambitious.

The EMA link below is a good source for how the development and approval process works for Covid-19 vaccines:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/overview/public-health-threats/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/treatments-vaccines/covid-19-vaccines-development-evaluation-approval-monitoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Van.Bosch wrote: »

There's more than a bit of purposeful timing about these announcements. I don't for one minute believe it was a coincidence that the Pfizer press release came after the election for example

They, like the vast majority of the world, didn't like Trump and didn't want to give him the benefit of the announcement before the election

So with that said I firmly believe we'll see vaccinations on or close to Christmas Eve and the marketing will be "Pfizer's Christmas miracle" or similar

Nothing conspiratorial about this. It's simply marketing and business

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    There's more than a bit of purposeful timing about these announcements. I don't for one minute believe it was a coincidence that the Pfizer press release came after the election for example

They, like the vast majority of the world, didn't like Trump and didn't want to give him the benefit of the announcement before the election

So with that said I firmly believe we'll see vaccinations on or close to Christmas Eve and the marketing with be "Pfizer's Christmas miracle" or similar

Pfizer have come out and denied it but it is peculiar alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Ahh I don’t know. I’m no expert in these things but I doubt they’d risk compromising the impartiality or perceived impartiality of the process by getting the independent review board to be part of a timing conspiracy tbh. You’d never keep something like that secret and it would call into question every vaccine trial ever done or to be done in the future. You could probably go to jail for it in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ShineOn7 wrote: »

So with that said I firmly believe we'll see vaccinations on or close to Christmas Eve and the marketing with be "Pfizer's Christmas miracle" or similar

Should get santa to administer it really. He's going all over the place, plenty of snow to keep it cold

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

D.Q wrote: »
    Should get santa to administer it really. He's going all over the place, plenty of snow to keep it cold

The problem is, he only comes to kids and none of the vaccines have been tested on young children yet.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Having done a bit of research, its not actually Vets who'd be best to administer the vaccine as some people and media organizations have mentioned.

AI practitioners would be better qualified at dealing with ultra low termperatures for long term storage and the thawing out process.

It seems to be a reasonably complex process and mistakes are possible.

Discussion of it here

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep28108

AI practioners are well used to dealing with temperatures well below -80 - in fact -80 is probably a doddle for them.

Correct, every technician has a flask. So have many dairy farmers who DIY AI.
    Munster Breeding and Dovea for example should be able to set up distribution logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'd imagine the Pfizer vaccine is safe otherwise they would have suspended trials if there were serious adverse events. Same with Moderna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

None of these mRNA vaccines will be rolled out for at least 10 years. You're all being trolled spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

sabat wrote: »
    None of these mRNA vaccines will be rolled out for at least 10 years. You're all being trolled spectacularly.

Based on your decades of experience in molecular biology, vaccine development and virology?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Let me guess - it's all part of a "government agenda" or some other drivel?

You're certainly correct with the second half of your post anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

gmisk wrote: »

After all the anti-vaxxer conspiracy theories on Bill Gates I`m really looking forward to hear what their slant is on Dolly.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I don’t have much experience with vaccines but do have extensive experience with working with listed companies. Any news directly from them that impacts markets is under such scrutiny it is unbelievable. If it turns out to be materially untrue then it can be civil and a criminal offence. If it’s merely a leak and not backed up by senior members of the executive it is just white noise. But the fact that it is from the company itself it cannot be a fabrication.

What do you base your thinking on that it’s 10 years away?

• Advertisement

Have you read anything re: vaccines in the last six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Why do people react to these nonsensical assertions? Don't give these people air to breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Why do people react to these nonsensical assertions? Don't give these people air to breathe.

A fine pun for a COVID thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I've had the flu vaccine every winter for the last few years, as I'm working outside love my work and the flu used to knock me for 6 once a year.

An absolutely horrible feeling of it hits you hard.
    Especially if you're active, healthy and fit .
    Sounds like a cliche, if I was active healthy and fit the flu shouldn't have that much of an impact on me.

I'm hardly ever sick except for when I got the flu, then I decided one year to get the vaccine, it works.
    No side effects or microchips or liquidised whataboutery flowing through my veins.

There's millions of vaccines going out every year, and you've numpties saying they use parts of aborted feuteses in every vaccine, what a shower of I'll informed idiot's.
    The usual types of woke, woo spiritual narcissists SJWs.

My exe was a lecturer in biochemistry, and she said these things are untrue.
    She explained how vaccines work in layman's terms and what their consistency is .

If medical science is out to get us and people believe in that well you know who your enemy is.

I'm a slightly earthy bohemian type, love the paranormal, mythology and folklore, a bit out there.
    But even though I'm considered a bit out there and possibly delusional.
    I'm not anti vaccine, they're there for our good.

Microchips FFS

Turning us into zombies more FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

DrumSteve wrote: »
    A fine pun for a COVID thread.

I recognise the attempt at levity but I find that comment in rather poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He's around other threads denying Biden won the US election as well, though trump has said the vaccines will be administered soon (before the election occurred...) so that's another reality to be squared away somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I recognise the attempt at levity but I find that comment in rather poor taste.

Hands up, I genuinely thought that was a pun.

My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

CountNjord wrote: »
    I've had the flu vaccine every winter for the last few years, as I'm working outside love my work and the flu used to knock me for 6 once a year.

An absolutely horrible feeling of it hits you hard.
    Especially if you're active, healthy and fit .
    Sounds like a cliche, if I was active healthy and fit the flu shouldn't have that much of an impact on me.

I'm hardly ever sick except for when I got the flu, then I decided one year to get the vaccine, it works.
    No side effects or microchips or liquidised whataboutery flowing through my veins.

There's millions of vaccines going out every year, and you've numpties saying they use parts of aborted feuteses in every vaccine, what a shower of I'll informed idiot's.
    The usual types of woke, woo spiritual narcissists SJWs.

My exe was a lecturer in biochemistry, and she said these things are untrue.
    She explained how vaccines work in layman's terms and what their consistency is .

If medical science is out to get us and people believe in that well you know who your enemy is.

I'm a slightly earthy bohemian type, love the paranormal, mythology and folklore, a bit out there.
    But even though I'm considered a bit out there and possibly delusional.
    I'm not anti vaccine, they're there for our good.

Microchips FFS

Turning us into zombies more FFS

How does it work for you every year if the vaccine doesn't include the influenza that's circulating?

Last year H3N2 wasn't in the flu vaccine and was spreading like wild fire

If you got the vaccine for the last 10 years, you were unprotected for 5 years with its 50% efficacy

Placebo affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer preparing to apply for EUA from FDA after reaching safety milestones.

The FDA has scheduled a meeting of its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, a group of outside experts, for December 8, 9 and 10.

Speculation is that they'll consider both Pfizer & BioNTech and Moderna for EUA at those meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Oxford/Astra Zeneca are swabbing to see whether the vaccine also reduces transmission as part of their trial.

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio4/status/1328657018111004672

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement