Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think we can, as predicted, deduce from the sudden silence of this thread that the majority of the 283 people that voted NO on the poll are getting vaccinated or will be getting vaccinated. Even the vocal one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i've decided i want my body to deal with the virus naturally. So i wont be taking the vaccine. Im in my early 40's,fit and healthy. Happy to see the country re'open. i may consider taking the vaccine at some stage down the line...maybe another 18 months. but for now no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I won't be taking the vaccine, for several reasons. I don't think I'll need it, hopefully, and the medium to long-term affects of the vaccines are unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sligeach wrote: »
    I won't be taking the vaccine, for several reasons. I don't think I'll need it, hopefully, and the medium to long-term effects of the vaccines are unknown.

I'm not going to try to change your mind but I am curious about your reasoning.

The medium to long term effects of a Covid infection are also unknown.

Do you believe that in a straight comparison between infection and vaccination you would be better off infected?

Or is it more that you think the likelihood of you being infected is quite low so the combined probability (two small numbers multiplied = a very small number) of a bad outcome from Covid is lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i've decided i want my body to deal with the virus naturally. So i wont be taking the vaccine. Im in my early 40's,fit and healthy. Happy to see the country re'open. i may consider taking the vaccine at some stage down the line...maybe another 18 months. but for now no.

That’s a strange and misinformed post!
    Why are you thinking you may take it in 18 months?
    The country/world needs you to take it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

So was my friend. He ended up in hospital. Out of work for 6 weeks. 2 out of the 4 infected ended up in hospital. One is only 18.
    Nobody has any idea how it will affect them until they get it.
    Those eligible got their vaccines this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nope for me. Since I already had covid I do not need it.

tom1ie wrote: »
    That’s a strange and misinformed post!
    Why are you thinking you may take it in 18 months?
    The country/world needs you to take it now?

for such a short response your post is very condescending.

the only problem i envisage going forward is people such as yourself demanding i take the vaccine because i'm misinformed as you put it.

I'm aware of all the information regarding the vaccine good & bad.

I'm not misinformed in anyway. Im 100% healthy and in no need of a the vaccine. I may have had the virus at some stage (undiagnosed) i may not have had the virus,who knows.

but i am happy to allow my body to deal with the virus naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It was always a given that there were going to be people who would sit back and wait to benefit from herd immunity after everyone else had done their bit and taken the minimal risk.
    Fortunately, these seem to be in the vast minority in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Getting my first tomorrow. Delighted that me and my unborn will finally have some protection from the stupidity that seems to surround me at times.

I've a friend who won't get it, which is fair enough as each to their own and all but I'm curious about her reasoning. She's just randomly decided that it might affect her fertility. Why would someone just invent a possible side effect? I can understand saying "we don't know what the long term effects will be" but just dreaming up very specific but completely baseless "what if" scenarios seems bizzare. Why would she be worried about fertility but not say, permanent neurological damage for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

Antares35 wrote: »
    Getting my first tomorrow. Delighted that me and my unborn will finally have some protection from the stupidity that seems to surround me at times.

I've a friend who won't get it, which is fair enough as each to their own and all but I'm curious about her reasoning. She's just randomly decided that it might affect her fertility. Why would someone just invent a possible side effect? I can understand saying "we don't know what the long term effects will be" but just dreaming up very specific but completely baseless "what if" scenarios seems bizzare. Why would she be worried about fertility but not say, permanent neurological damage for example?

Procreation (passing on the genes) is one of the basic human instincts I think and people may have an instinctive rather than a reasoned fear regarding that.

Like you, I find it interesting to read people's reasons for not wanting the vaccine and hopefully this thread will remain a non-critical place where those people can freely post their own personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

josip wrote: »
    Procreation (passing on the genes) is one of the basic human instincts I think and people may have an instinctive rather than a reasoned fear regarding that.

Like you, I find it interesting to read people's reasons for not wanting the vaccine and hopefully this thread will remain a non-critical place where those people can freely post their own personal reasons.

Absolutely, she can do what she wants as far as I'm concerned, although I won't be seeing her until after my second dose, but I just think it's odd to be so specific about it. Maybe you're right about her reasons. Who knows.

for such a short response your post is very condescending.

the only problem i envisage going forward is people such as yourself demanding i take the vaccine because i'm misinformed as you put it.

I'm aware of all the information regarding the vaccine good & bad.

I'm not misinformed in anyway. Im 100% healthy and in no need of a the vaccine. I may have had the virus at some stage (undiagnosed) i may not have had the virus,who knows.

but i am happy to allow my body to deal with the virus naturally.

Can you transmit it?

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Nope for me. Since I already had covid I do not need it.

Can you transmit it?

Can you transmit it?

everyone can transmit the virus...vaccinated or not.

That's 4.2% of those who registered, don't show up. How many more people haven't registered in the first place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Mod: Time for a holiday from the forum given your recent contributions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And those that are vaccinated have a much less chance of transmitting it.

sabat wrote: »
    Complete horsesh!t

Fixed your post for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

sabat wrote: »

Checks notes.......

.....I can confirm this posters comments falls into the bull**** category.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »

Quote from GAVI Vaccine Alliance Website:

"VACCINATED PEOPLE ARE MUCH LESS LIKELY TO PASS ON THE VIRUS

Early evidence from testing in animals, where researchers can directly study transmission, suggested immunisation with COVID-19 vaccines could prevent animals passing on the virus.

But animals are not people, and the scientific community has been waiting for more conclusive studies in humans."

now..i think its great that the vaccine is showing positive signs but i wouldn't be confident taking the vaccine as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Doc07

Quote from GAVI Vaccine Alliance Website:

"VACCINATED PEOPLE ARE MUCH LESS LIKELY TO PASS ON THE VIRUS

Early evidence from testing in animals, where researchers can directly study transmission, suggested immunisation with COVID-19 vaccines could prevent animals passing on the virus.

But animals are not people, and the scientific community has been waiting for more conclusive studies in humans."

now..i think its great that the vaccine is showing positive signs but i wouldn't be confident taking the vaccine as it stands.

Slightly selective quoting there. If you had also quoted the next couple of paragraphs from that GAVI page it would have referred to the increased evidence from human data of reduced transmission in vaccinated people (from Israel and UK studies among others)

Doc07 wrote: »
    Slightly selective quoting there. If you had also quoted the next couple of paragraphs from that GAVI page it would have referred to the increased evidence from human data of reduced transmission in vaccinated people (from Israel and UK studies among others)

"I'm not anti-vax, but I'm not getting a vaccine and I'll selectively quote articles to make them look anti-vax, but really I'm not anti-vax, believe me".

Does the vaccine reduce transmission levels in a person Vs that person not being vaccinated?

astrofool wrote: »
    13. Can we still spread the disease once vaccinated?

We do not yet know. Additional evaluations will be needed to assess the effect of the vaccine in preventing asymptomatic infection, including data from clinical trials and from the vaccine's use after authorisation.

Therefore, and for the time being, even vaccinated people will need to wear masks, avoid indoor crowds, and respect social distance, so on. Other factors, including how many people get vaccinated and how the virus is spreading in communities may also prompt revision of this guidance.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/questions-and-answers-covid-19-vaccination-eu_en

This is the important bit of the statement:
    "We do not yet know."

And this is the important word:
    "yet"

We know through ongoing studies that vaccines reduce transmission, we do not know what that % is, it's definitely above 0%, and most likely above 60%.

Here's a recent article and tweet, but these are being published and updated daily:
    https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduce-transmission-how-does-work

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1384158117663969292

Right now the pressure is on to get everyone vaccinated, we know it will reduce transmission and hence protect those who can't be vaccinated, so don't be stupid and get vaccinated.

Or if you read the WHO:
    Will COVID-19 vaccines provide long-term protection?

Because COVID vaccines have only been developed in the past months, it’s too early to know the duration of protection of COVID-19 vaccines. Research is ongoing to answer this question. However, it’s encouraging that available data suggest that most people who recover from COVID-19 develop an immune response that provides at least some period of protection against reinfection – although we’re still learning how strong this protection is, and how long it lasts.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-(covid-19)-vaccines

They can't say if the vaccine will offer long-term "protection". So how can anyone say it won't have long-term detrimental affects? They can't. Only time will tell. A whole load of people talking about ongoing research, meanwhile, they're asking people to carry on getting vaccinated. They're learning as they go along, and we're like guinea pigs. I won't be part of that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Does the vaccine reduce transmission levels in a person Vs that person not being vaccinated?

In fairness you quote several posts asking 'Can you transmit it?' which seemed to suggest only unvaccinated people can transmit it.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Absolutely, she can do what she wants as far as I'm concerned, although I won't be seeing her until after my second dose, but I just think it's odd to be so specific about it. Maybe you're right about her reasons. Who knows.

I think everyone should be free to have their own reasons for not getting the vaccine and everyone else should be free to regard those reasons as completely nonsensical with no basis in reality

• Advertisement

Or if you read the WHO:

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-(covid-19)-vaccines

They can't say if the vaccine will offer long-term "protection". So how can anyone say it won't have long-term detrimental affects? They can't. Only time will tell. A whole load of people talking about ongoing research, meanwhile, they're asking people to carry on getting vaccinated. They're learning as they go along, and we're like guinea pigs. I won't be part of that, thanks.

Can you point to a vaccine which following 100’s of millions of doses potential long term effects had not already been identified?

Advertisement