Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

My Smyths pre-order arrived this afternoon and haven't stopped tinkering with it since!! My seperately ordered games have not yet showed up, but thankfully the PS collection has kept me very busy!! Played God of War for the past 3 hours and COD Zombies prior.

Like others there is some fan noise (Disc version) identical to videos posted but nothing like the PS4 Jet I had.

ASTRO is incredible and showcases the controller so well!! Will have to put Alot more time into it.

Fingers crossed that Valhalla and MM show up tomorrow so I can see the full power of the console. Guess I better turn it off now and hit bed. Oh well, a great launch day comes to an end 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Valhalla for me first. ( Glad I didnt get the ps4 version on what Im reading above)

Looks like CP2077 is defo for December release.
    I will be all over that. New gameplay clips looks amazing.

Also Glad to read there is a very visuaL improvement for Apex Legens on PS5.

HAPPY DAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Parsnips wrote: »
    Thats BS. your contract is with Smyths not with Sony for the first 12 months.
    Retailers are responsible for the goods they are selling.

I hate when they try pull that crap.

Anyone who did any sort of business module in school/college knows this but retailers still try pull it..

Obviously not your man's fault though, he's just being paid to repeat what they told him to say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm thinking I'll hold off on buying a PS5 for a good while.

Even when it's available I think I'll wait.

Not liking these reports from people saying they keep having to reset/restart their system data, or that they keep getting error messages while updating a game.

I'm also very nervous of that disc drive. I have been through 3 PS4 consoles that all had the same problem where after a while the drive just stopped reading my discs and stopped installing them. I'm nervous the same thing will occur with this, and it seems people are already having issues where the PS5 is giving error messages while installing a disc.

I dunno if these issues can be fixed with a patch or a new revision but as it stands I'm less sold on it than I was

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I'm thinking I'll hold off on buying a PS5 for a good while.

Even when it's available I think I'll wait.

Not liking these reports from people saying they keep having to reset/restart their system data, or that they keep getting error messages while updating a game.

I'm also very nervous of that disc drive. I have been through 3 PS4 consoles that all had the same problem where after a while the drive just stopped reading my discs and stopped installing them. I'm nervous the same thing will occur with this, and it seems people are already having issues where the PS5 is giving error messages while installing a disc.

I dunno if these issues can be fixed with a patch or a new revision but as it stands I'm less sold on it than I was

TBH my excitement for the new console is completely gone, i cannot install install any games (disk or online) without it crashing at some point requiring the sw to be reinstalled (had to do this probably 6 -8 times now) and then i have to go through the full initial setup.
    Have only manage to play an hour or so of astro (which i cannot continue as the game was removed after the first reinstall of the system and now requires downloading to get back which fails)
    The bit of astro i did get to play was amazing however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Spent most of yesterday on my Digital Edition. It's so quiet I can't quite believe it after having a PS4 Pro that I used to wear headphones when playing because it was so loud.

Astro is a joy. The platforming is really good apart from anything else, would absolutely be interested in a fully fledged out game.

Have my PS4 games on an external HD and it's worked fine so far. Even left it in rest mode last night downloading and it just popped back to life when I pressed the PS button.

I'm hoping after the arrival she was subjected to, my PS5 is a toughie :) (touch wood touch wood)

One thing I'm keeping an eye on but is it possible to accidentally download two versions of a game? I had MK11 on the external HD. Went to the store and it says there's a free PS5 upgrade. It seems to be downloading that separately to the system HD. Off to work now so will see what happens when home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Are most of the problems appearing on one type of console. I ordered digital but gave away and was gonna use the extra save time to go disc. Now thinking just go digi again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Really looking forward to playing Astro more than anything, then it will be my first time trying Days Gone which I have been wanting to play for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

The new app is great, very responsive. My PS5 is in the office, so last night I was able to select and download dozens of games to it from home. Into the office shortly to do a day of important research, can’t be disturbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I've a disc version and basically no issues so far. It was a little noisy when installing Miles Morales from disc, but once the installation was finished it quietened immediately. No noise when playing the game either. Then had Demons Souls and a few PS4 games downloading in the background while I played, but no noise of those.

For now I'm avoiding doing anything which caused issues for others (putting in rest mode, using external drive etc.), and hopefully that sort of thing is fixed with a patch soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

recyclops wrote: »
    Are most of the problems appearing on one type of console. I ordered digital but gave away and was gonna use the extra save time to go disc. Now thinking just go digi again?

Both disc and digital editions are having problems, if you’re not too pushed on having one right now I’d hold off a while until there’s an update to fix the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

so does this astro come as a free game ?

sorry i havent read up much on the whole ps5 , genuinely didnt think id see one till next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

For anyone who's having a issues when they take out the disc in the game uninstalls. This has been widely mentioned on the internet. There is a workaround, don't click on the copy button to force the install, apparently if you let it do it itself, when you remove the disc it won't uninstall itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Both disc and digital editions are having problems, if you’re not too pushed on having one right now I’d hold off a while until there’s an update to fix the issues.

The question is: will it be an update that'll be needed to fix them, or will a new revision of the console need to be manufactured? We've all heard stories of how launch consoles are nearly always susceptible to being faulty on boot, but the amount of issues I've been hearing about - I don't know if these are software issues or hardware issues (disc drive not installing games, for example), but it always takes a new model, or revision, to rectify some of those problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

The question is: will it be an update that'll be needed to fix them, or will a new revision of the console need to be manufactured? We've all heard stories of how launch consoles are nearly always susceptible to being faulty on boot, but the amount of issues I've been hearing about - I don't know if these are software issues or hardware issues (disc drive not installing games, for example), but it always takes a new model, or revision, to rectify some of those problems.

Will certainly be interesting to see if they can fix them with just an update! I eventually got my games to copy from disc but it shouldn’t have taken that much hassle. I still can’t update them, have a whole host of error messages when I try to download. I didn’t think I’d be saying this but I might return the console if it’s not sorted in another week or two and wait until the problems are fixed, if they can be. No point keeping a console that isn’t playable. Had zero problems with the Xbox series x, doesn’t look good for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The OS issues will be fixed almost certainly. The online consensus seems to be the PS5 OS wasn't quite ready for release, either due to COVID or whatever. Sony kept the PS4 updated constantly so I dont see why their hot new thing would be any different.

The noise issues might be a different issue. Could it be an expectations thing? Most reviews say the PS5 was nearly silent, but surely that depends on the disc drive and your set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭McFly85

Definitely not an insignificant amount of issues happening for people. Would definitely be worth Santa maybe doing the software updates and some game installs this week to make sure there are no disappointments on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone playing Astro on the digital version, are you playing inside a Digital console? Just it displayed a disc version for me and I assumed it just detected what version I had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Astros playroom is a fun little game to play while other stuff is installing, defo reccomend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

McFly85 wrote: »
    Definitely not an insignificant amount of issues happening for people. Would definitely be worth Santa maybe doing the software updates and some game installs this week to make sure there are no disappointments on Christmas morning.

I was just going to ask about this.

I am collecting one this morning, would i be better off to try it now, and not leave it til Xmas?
    Is there much set up needed?
    He is using a PS4 at the mo , so its hardly as easy as switch consoles and log in to PS/Micro account ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Disc version seems incredibly quiet compared to PS4 Pro, some noise when disc spins up but when it is idling it is dead quiet. I am very impressed with what Sony and Microsoft have achieved with their launches.

Astro is a touch a class, what an intro to the dual sense.

Demon Souls is stunning, I keep getting killed so easily but its a fair challenge.

Download speeds at least 10x that of my PS4 Pro, very impressed.

Haven't run into any of the issues mentioned. Feel bad for those who are experiencing issues. I would contact the retailers straight away explaining you want a replacement in the next wave of deliveries. Smyths should be pretty good about it! There are always issues with new electronics unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

For Valhalla and it's kind of a spoiler but only 1% into the game but I'll cover it over anyway
    Did they hire the people from the Witcher to make convoluted games within the game itself, you think that Witcher card game was bad, wait until you see the stupid dice game thing in Valhalla, the drinking game seems okay, I;'ll get used to it and don't get me started on the word play game. It;s basically like the thing from Monkey Island games as a Pirate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

greenspurs wrote: »

I am collecting one this morning, would i be better off to try it now, and not leave it til Xmas?
    He is using a PS4 at the mo , so its hardly as easy as switch consoles and log in to PS/Micro account ?

Is it a Santa present?

As would it show on his profile having PS5 already on the PS4?

I think it has a PS5 Shape logo on your profile when you do...

If he is keeping the PS4 you can do a transfer of everything over on Xmas morning, I made sure to not really have many games and just transferred over, it took 11 minutes, but it was only 3 profiles and a few game's on it as I wanted to install as I go with the limited storage space on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Evilbart

If you are worried about a console making a slight fan noise or having issues on day 1 you are best off not buying one for a few months.

I buy a lot of tech and always jump in day 1 and to me a ps5 for €399 with a years warranty is insane value.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is it a Santa present?

As would it show on his profile having PS5 already on the PS4?

I think it has a PS5 Shape logo on your profile when you do...

If he is keeping the PS4 you can do a transfer of everything over on Xmas morning, I made sure to not really have many games and just transferred over, it took 11 minutes, but it was only 3 profiles and a few game's on it as I wanted to install as I go with the limited storage space on it...

Yes, it is.
    Ahh ok.
    If its going to give it away , i wont bother.

Is it an easy transfer?

greenspurs wrote: »

Setup only takes a couple of minutes! You’ll be asked to perform a software update on the system and controller, and sign in to PSN.

You’ll be given the option to transfer data from the PS4 which I’ve heard can take a while but will be the only way to transfer PS4 saves without PlayStation plus.

Once your signed in though all of your PS4 games will be viewable in your library for download.

Many people seem to be having issues installing games or doing system updates-definitely worth doing the setup and maybe playing one of the games for a few minutes. If you don’t have any issues you’re probably good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've now confirmed that my Samsung RU7100 50" issues with black screen of death with the PS5 is surely a HDCP issue. I mentioned earlier that I had the same issue with a Sky Q box so swapped around TVs. I was always blaming Sky but now that it's the PS5 reacting to it as well then the stupid Samsung TV(up to date Firmware) is the issue. The only way around it is droppoing resolution on the PS5 to 1080p OR power cycling the TV when it comes on. Painful but this is my life now until I can afford a new TV.

Thanks for the info guys .

McFly85 wrote: »
    Setup only takes a couple of minutes! You’ll be asked to perform a software update on the system and controller, and sign in to PSN.

You’ll be given the option to transfer data from the PS4 which I’ve heard can take a while but will be the only way to transfer PS4 saves without PlayStation plus.

Once your signed in though all of your PS4 games will be viewable in your library for download.

Many people seem to be having issues installing games or doing system updates-definitely worth doing the setup and maybe playing one of the games for a few minutes. If you don’t have any issues you’re probably good to go!

EDIT: once you’re happy the console is fine you can probably do a soft reset(keep latest firmware but have all account info removed) so that can be done on Christmas morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

This is a fantastic console. That DualSense controller is the best I've ever used.
    I had a mild panic when my TV wouldn't recognise the console - turns out, I hadn't inserted the HDMI properly!

There was some noise installing Miles Morales but after that it was as quiet as a mouse.

For anyone who has the PS+ Collection - is Uncharted 4 showing as unavailable? Showing like that for me. Now I do have the disc version on PS4 so I'm wondering if it's to do with that?

Advertisement