Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I recently played Uncharted 4 on the quality mode with an unlocked framerate+VRR, it was incredible. Full visuals and a framerate that was hovering between 50 and 60 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Cheers!

Didn't think quality mode would go to that. I can feel 40 FPS dragging on other games, but must give that a go on Uncharted if it goes above that.

Must say that UC4 is excellent fun.

Yea honestly it was great. I am playing Ragnarok atm and started it in quality mode with an unlocked framerate + VRR. After about an hour or two I changed it back to performance as it just wasn't smooth enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Same, found the 40fps mode jarring for not much of an increase in detail over the silky smooth 120fps mode.

All quality mode ready does in GoW is increase the lod on far away objects and improve shadow/reflection detail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As Digital Foundry has pointed out a couple of times, the main benefit of 40 FPS is in response time compared to 30 FPS (on a 120hz display). It's a big uptick to responsiveness compared to 30.

The problem is most games that have it already have 60 FPS or higher modes, which feel much smoother and responsive again. And I've yet to encounter a first-party PS5 game where the 'fidelity mode' offers anywhere near the picture quality uplift to justify picking it over a performance mode - the resolution or graphical difference is usually barely noticeable IMO, and never worth the hit to smoothness. God of War Ragnarok is so smooth and slick in 60 FPS or high frame rate mode that it'd be madness to not play it that way.

This may change as the generation goes on, but the biggest benefit of the new generation so far has been these big games pretty routinely hitting 60 FPS or better. But if we do get to a point where developers aim for lower frame rate to push fidelity - hopefully not! - then a 40 FPS mode would be preferable to 30. It's already happened with a Plague Tale Requiem, I believe. But again: 60+ ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I always put it on the quality mode, say oh that's pretty, then swap to performance to play it.

I think the only one where quality made more sense was Ghost of Tsushima as both it and performance were hitting 60fps and the quality one looked nicer.

I picked up that LG TV, I broke my own LCD by gently lifting it. Got a small crack that is now a big crack so I have a 6invh black bar across the top of the screen. Good excuse to upgrade and that LG is pretty future proof for the next few years.

Yeah, paying for the PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima is pointless. The PS4 version running on PS5 is identical in framerate and graphical settings, the only differences are that the cutscenes are real time instead of prerendered and the frame rate tanks less when quickly changing the time of day in photo mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I assume the ps4 version doesn't have the haptics or adaptive triggers as well?

It doesn't, though they usually aren't a loss. The only game other than Astrobot I've seen use them well is Returnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yea very few games use them well. Ratchet and Clank had a half pull mechanic for guns but that is fairly poor implementation.

• Advertisement

Also, don't you get much faster loading times with PS5 upgrades ?

Anyway, that clock tower and follow on chase sequence in Uncharted 4 is one of the best things I've ever seen/played in a video game. Brilliant.

You usually do, but gains are marginal in Ghosts as it is extremely optimised on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think the loading always gets faster for PS4 games on PS5, only on those optimised for PS5. I think it's dependent on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

My son says him and his pals have been seeing pictures of ps5s leaking liquid metal from the cooling system over time when stored in vertical position and overheating. From a console repair business in France apparently. He wants me to store it horizontal from now on. My first thought is complete nonsense but he sent me this:.

Im thinking this is bollox OR this ps5 must have been drop kicked round someone's back garden. Considering my ps5 has been handled like a new born since I got it, never dropped or tipped over and sits inside ikea shelving so it never gets touched apart from when being moved/cleaned I think we're all good. Thoughts?

It is too early to tell yet, and there have already been confirmed inaccuracies in this report. By and large these new consoles have been remarkably reliable compared to previous generations, so any hint of a possible new RROD is going to get a lot of attention whether it deserves to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would wonder where that console was stored rather than if it was vertical or horizontal. Mine is behind my tv in a vertical position and is quiet as a mouse. Air flow is good in that location instead of inside a cabinet.

I put mine behind the TV, vertical too. It's not a pleasing looking piece of tech, and has coil whine and a loud ish fan. But the games and performance of same make up for that. It's fine with headphones on. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

january's Extra & Premium games announced:

Back 4 Blood

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Devil may Cry 5

Life Is Strange

Life Is Strange: Before the Storm

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Plus more

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I opened a laptop recently that hadn't been before, there was a little bit of liquid metal down to the side but it didn't look like it had leaked and flowed down as it was a decent bit away partially absorbed by a bit of tape holding wires. It could have transferred or dripped from something during assembly but didn't do any harm. Most high end laptops use liquid metal now with the difference the PS5 has the foam in addition to the sealed tape most things have.

If there was any it's likely sitting there from assembly or as I think in this case they've fucked up repairing someone console and trying to pass blame.

The site and the guys getting confused about previously unopened consoles vs boxed but then "clarifying" it doesn't mean consoles sitting in a box when if it is as he says it is then it would affect them too.

Liquid metal has an low viscosity is flows incredibly well and over the range the apu is hitting that's not changing that much, so the console never being on before won't matter if it is a he says it is. It would leak for a completely unused console.

Also and for the biggest point, it's extremely electrically conductive. If it leaks you aren't going to get worsening cooling until it overheats you're getting a short the instance it gets' powered.

Like I said above, there have been no widespread hardware failures in the first 2 years of the generation and people are just jumping on this. Their sample size is extremely limited and so far these are the only ones reporting this. Not saying it isn't a real hardware problem but I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions yet.

• Advertisement

Wow, GoW Ragnarok just keeps going doesn't it? I think I must be coming up on the end now.

Just finished up that HUGE open area around the crater and jungle, was not expecting it to be that big. Now that is done I am gonna push on with the story. All of my gear is the level just below max so I would probably have to do the endgame stuff to make it any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

UPDATE: Sources have confirmed that the prototype of the console has been in the hands of the developers for a number of months. My update on this on my Twitter account led some to believe that the console is in the game developer's hands, but this is not the case.

It's in the hands of people at Sony and not at individual developer studios. The new console does not need to be in the developer's hands because it will have almost identical specifications to the original PlayStation 5, sources said. In addition and after many questions from the community, sources said that they don't believe the detachable disc drive will be compatible with the existing digital version; but that could change with major software updates.

Tom Henderson dropped more information today. No major hardware changes from current console, disc drive likely won't be compatible with current PS5 DE. Production expected to start in April and the new SKU hitting store shelves in September:

"Next major PS5 firmware update to finally add PS5 streaming to PS Plus Premium

The update, currently scheduled for March 8, 2023 (as revealed by myself in August 2022) will include the full Discord integration that was revealed in 2021.

In addition to the Discord integration, sources have revealed that PlayStation 5 games will also be streamable on the PlayStation 5 via cloud streaming (to save that all-important drive space). It was said that this feature will be included in the PlayStation Plus Premium Tier. The feature, under the project name "Cronus" has been in development and testing for a number of months, sources revealed.

Insider Gaming also understands that the public Beta for the Playstation 5 7.00 update will start in the coming days, with the completion date ending on January 30. However, sources said that beta testers will not be able to use the discord integration functionality during this Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

More a ps4 query, but hoping someone has experience - does anyone know if Gamestop take PS4 (Pro) consoles with replaced hard drives? I installed a larger hard drive a good few years back and am considering trading it in but not sure how they treat them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Would it be easier to refit the stock drive, or at least pick one up on the cheap and fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

I tried exactly this soon after I bought the PS5. They wouldn't touch it. In the end it's the house DVD/Bluray player.

Finished Ragnarok. All in all an excellent game. I don't think it judged the side content correctly though, obviously I didn't have to do it but there was probably a bit too much and I didn't really feel like it was making me any more powerful. The entire ending sequence was great though, I'll finish up all the endgame stuff eventually. Now onto a Plague Tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well that's why i fitted the stock drive and they'd no problem with a trade in

Same. Held onto the stock drive when I upgraded to a 2TB, glad I did as that sshd failed after 18 months. Traded it in for my Series X in GameStop, I got the PS5 in Smyths. Got €430 credit for the Pro and a Xbox One S at the time.

Yea I remember getting some crazy high amount for my Xbox One X in CEX just before the PS5 released.

• Advertisement

Iirc it was something like €250 for the Pro and €120 for the One S then boosted by 15% from my membership. Would have gotten €200 plus the boost for the One X but I decided to swap out the One S I was using as a media player.

Advertisement