Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It was good but the one I enjoyed most was Far Cry 5. I've played that through a few times now. It's just the setting, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved the first region of FC 5, then the north was fun though but the east was just too much of the same thing repeated. Great driving around that map though. Poty FC 6 couldn't capture any of the magic of the previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Forgot that FC Primal is coming to Extra as well, i never played that, is it worth a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

I played this when it originally was out and really enjoyed. I will definitely go back and play this again. What date is out on Extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The Edge is the same size, the same shape, and has the same buttons and joysticks as far as my fingers can tell. Only now, you get two kinds of rear paddles, adjustable hair triggers, swappable stick tops (including the classic PlayStation domes), the ability to remap almost every button on the controller and adjust joystick sensitivity curves, new dedicated function keys to hot-switch profiles, and — get this — toolless quick-swap stick modules so you can replace a broken joystick in 30 seconds flat.I spent two hours at PlayStation's US headquarters trying all of the above, and unless there are hidden flaws or the battery runs out mid-session, I'm pretty sure this will be the best PS5 controller you can buy for $200.

Textures

In case you missed my story in February 2021, I'll catch you up: every Sony DualSense controller is covered in 40,000 tiny PlayStation symbols. They're what you feel when you hold a PS5 gamepad, and here, they feel even better because the ones under your fingertips are made to be grippier. The triggers are now stippled with the PlayStation symbols for added purchase, the touchpad's dappled with them, too, and — like competitors in this price tier — the inside grips are rubber instead of plastic.

Buttons and Joysticks

Whether you loved or hated the DualSense's buttons and joysticks, you should know they largely haven't changed mechanically. I brought along my PS5 launch controller from home and Sony provided another, and the only discernible difference I could feel with the DualSense Edge was that the sound of pressing a button was slightly deadened. Perhaps they're more precise, but I couldn't tell in my demos.What jazzed me, though, is that you can now rip off the caps of your joysticks to swap in an old-school convex dome instead, just like the sticks that shipped with your PS3, PS2, and later PS1s. The Edge comes with four of them at two different heights, though I'm sure I'd only use one — I'm totally going to run a Frankenstein setup with one convex cap and one concave one for comfy movement and precision aiming at the same time.

Battery Life

The DualSense Edge wireless controller's operating time is moderately shorter than the original DualSense wireless controller because we've included many more features within the same form factor and ergonomic design as the original DualSense controller. We wanted to strike a good balance between wireless operating time and delivering robust, high-performance features. Additionally, the longer USB braided cable is also great for competitive players who prefer playing with a wired connection to avoid wireless interference – this option preserves battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

How, HOW, does the €240 controller have a WORSE battery life than the €70 controller. With what they are charging they couldn't have managed a better one?

Also something tells me the word 'moderately' is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The most remarkable thing in that article is that they had to highlight the fact that plugging your controller in with a USB cable “preserves battery life”.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm sold... The swappable sticks alone may make it worth it. My newer DS has sudden severe left stick drift. I've a toolkit from IFixIt on the way, will open her up and hopefully just something stuck. But with the amount of hours I put in, and the reported lifespan of a DualSense is ~420 hours, and I've over 2000 since it launched and over 3 controllers (one traded for the black one, it was still working when traded). Looking forward to the paddles. Yeah, I'm sold on it. Makes financial sense to me, as long as everything else keeps working on it, sticks aside.

Don't think I'll get much use out of those function buttons, most likely just use the headset volume feature. I rarely, if ever, change around button mapping. Maybe because I never had a choice on console before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The swappable sticks are the exact same sticks in the current DS controller so they are still liable to drift.

It's a con job from Sony, use a poor component (same as other manufacturers) but charge the customer an extortionate amount to buy the controller and then allow them to buy a replacement part for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah they can charge whatever they like for a pro controller but its scummy to still be using crap components in any controllers 2 years in. And with a 12 month warranty. Very poor form.

Aren't all main companies using the same though (ALPS)? So they're not doing anything different, just using the industry standard? I'm open to correction, Google is no longer good for Googling. I get it, in general these should be better especially considering how long there're in use without any real progress. I am getting about 1.5x the life out of them but I do look after them in general. And at least now there's an easy option to replace them, without having to shell out for a new controller or get someone with knowledge and experience of replacing the modules. Which repair videos make it look easy, but there's still a lack of professionals doing it....

Must get a soldering iron, see if I'd be any good at it. Could be a handy side job. And some flux. TronicsFix seems to love the stuff.

Yeah, it's expensive also for the replacement sticks, which are liable to drift again, but it's gonna be 20-25 euro, don't think you'd find someone to fix that issue for less. And it's Sony. They like to think they're premium. Don't see an option on the Elite series to replace them. It's a step forward at least.

Everyone is acting the bollix Sony should too? At least with joycons it an easy ribbon fix and kits are reasonable. Wonder how much per dualsense it would cost Sony to fix drift going forward. Pennies I'd imagine.

I guess since my last console was a ps3 and the controller sticks seemed indestructible I expected better.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For me the main issue is the battery. I tend to have one controller charging while using the other, then swap when the battery is low (which, given how bad the standard battery is, can be quite often).

So if I bought this new controller, not only is the battery worse, but I'd probably have to spend more time using the standard controller too. Plus it means constantly going from controller with additional buttons and features, to the standard one (unless of course I got two of them but at that price it ain't happening).

A better battery would have swung it for me. The same battery would have had me on the fence. A worse battery? Nah.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

This is no “step forward”

They could have worked to solve the stick drift issue. Instead they’re going to charge you €240 for a new controller with replaceable sticks. Why would they look to stop stick drift now? Instead of customers complaining about the issue they’re now going to be charged for every faulty replacement stick after paying €240 for the controller & sent on their way.

Dualsense is currently available new for €65, you’d buy 4 of them for €260.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah the battery thing is ridiculously simple to fix, no internal battery :).

As said above its a step sideways that most people will skip over. The ones who use them most will be paid to do so and trick kids it's an essential purchase

I never said that. I'm just pointing out that people are expecting Sony to do something consumer friendly while all the while complaining they never do anything consumer friendly. Why aren't MS doing it? What about Nintendo? What about the vast majority of controller manufacturers in general, who all use more or less the same component (again, open to correction, but from what I quickly checked it seems to be the case)?

I'm not defending them, and Sony always charge above the expected, again something people usually point out but expect different every time. It's not just another DualSense, it has added features. Whether you'd use them or not is personal preference. And the method of replacing them on the Edge is something, again as far as I can tell, is only available on 1 other controller, the Thrustmaster eSwap. MS release a slightly improved Elite and not much is said, no swappable modules and not without drift issues. They even release a bit cheaper but bog standard, no accessories version. Surprised it comes with a rechargeable battery.

I see value in it, other people don't. Difference of opinion. And I had some DS3 drift issues, had it across all gens. I will admit it was a overall physically stronger controller though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On the topic of controllers, has anyone got their controller repaired? Both of my triggers seem to be loose, they rattle badly when the controller vibrates. Never been dropped or anything, obviously just a bad batch of triggers. Everything still works I just accidentally brake a bit at times in Gran Turismo.

Console is just over two years now so may have pushback. Bought from Argos but easier to go through Sony. Might have to call them, when you click through their PS5 hardware support on their website there's no option to click on either the console or controller now? And when I looked in the past the options to report controller problems looped back to the start.

Ive never had any drift issues before ps5. I dont mind paying 60/70 for a dualsense but to get drift on it inside 1/2 years really is pathetic. All manufacturers need to sort it then. Or provide a better warranty.

• Advertisement

They should be making them modular. As you said, Nintendo have started with their ribbon setup, and they appear fairly cheap to buy. But some people still won't fiddle with that. Yeah, releasing your first modular controller as a premium €240 one is crappy, but typically Sony imo. And it's a step. I can see that feature coming to the standard DualSense 2 possibly. Then again, it's Sony and they're not known for being consumer friendly so possibly not.

It makes sense. ALPS have the potentiometer set to a lifespan of 2 million cycles. iFixIt have that roughly translated to an average of 417 hours of normal play (FPS's reduce this, slower games increase it). But like everything they can go before or after that time. In my case, over my 3 controllers, they've gone well above that, but I don't play too many intensive games regularly.

Again, I'm not defending this. It's crazy it's a known issue and still nothing has changed, but I don't understand the situation so I've no idea if it is realistically fixable in the long term, or if modular is the way forward. With the expect price of $20 for each stick module for the Edge, again I don't think anywhere could repair it for the same. The same ALPS modules are in the un-modular Elite S2, and in most controllers in general.

I dunno. I feel I get my moneys worth from my DS's considering my play time, but I suppose I've also been lucky to a degree that they weren't faulty to begin with. I also suspect people forget the abuse they give their controllers. I look after mine well, but they still get dropped and maybe squeezed a bit hard every now and then. Re: the battery, without making the controller bigger I can't see how they can improve it. A quick Google shows no upgrade options that fit, only expandable packs. But I also sit 4 feet from my tv so wired isn't a big issue for me. Can see how it would affect others though.

My kit also came today, so cleaned the PS5 fan (she was duuuurty) and took apart the DualSense, gave it a clean but issue persists. So it will be my test controller if I ever do get a soldering kit.

Theres value in modular sticks for sure. I think that value should be if you drop your pro controller and damage the stick. Thats on the player. 20 euro for a replacement. No problem. A bargain compared to a new controller.

20 euro for crap sticks that will drift inside 1 to 2 years. Nah. Thats a subscription and Sony know it. Planned obsolescence.

Edit: curious about your ps5 cleaning kit. I definitely need to sort mine out. Any chance you could post it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They're listed at €25 each on GameStop. I don't know how Sony get away with that, a part that costs pennies plus the contacts to set it to the board really shouldn't cost 36% of the standard pad that has 2 of them in it plus a battery and a lot more circuitry.

I know it's not exactly like for like comparing the cost of the modular stick for the Edge to the standard Dualsense but it makes the rrp look even more stupid.

At least it's an option, compared to no real option other than an unguaranteed fix if you can find someone to do it, a hassle job with Sony which will cost at least delivery price, or a complete controller replacement. Yeah it's crappy, but it's a start. No doubt some crowds will be doing cheaper replacements, or modified parts for it. Unless Sony shut them down of course.

@jj880 It's the Pro Tech Toolkit, €75 and free delivery. Has everything you'd need for hobby repair on most devices/consoles.

They have bigger/smaller ones and ones more focussed towards specific repairs. Have to say, the initial impression is very good. Does lack torque, so there's another kit with a bigger driver. But this one suited my purposes but had to use a normal screwdriver to remove the PS5 baseplate, the biggest flathead in the kit was nowhere near big enough (4)!

Great kit. TronicsFix on YouTube is a great channel I use a lot. He recommends the same exact kit as you. Good video for ps5 cleaning broken into stages:

I'll take the fan out but hopefully wont be going any further than that as last time I had the cover off my ps5 wasnt too bad.

That's what I did, just the fan. I may go as far as the heat syncs at some point, but she's still under (Irish) warranty so don't want to open her up too much yet. Great kit though. And yeah, because of TronicsFix I got that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Got a ps5 today. Question is gta v transfer from ps4 still a full account restart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My PS5 has noisy fan and some coil whine. It hasn't been used really since I got it in the summer. Not a disaster, but annoying enough.

Thinking of looking for a repair/replacement before the guarantee is up etc etc What's the best route for this. Smyths purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Noisy out of the box new, so it's not dirt. I don't mind the fan so much, but the coil whine is annoying on top of that as it changes based on on what's happening in the game.

Advertisement