Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

:D:D Was like something I'd do playing right-handed, and I'm not a ciotóg :pac:

I'd bet even money you'd have 100 goes and not leave it short as jack did. Remember him missing a just as easy match ball pink with his wrong hand about 3 seasons back. He just never learns. For all his undoubted talent.

I'd bet even money you'd have 100 goes and not leave it short as jack did. Remember him missing a just as easy match ball pink with his wrong hand about 3 seasons back. He just never learns. For all his undoubted talent.

Commentator said almost those exact words (after your post :) ) about a more recent shot :D Loose position from an easy red, and misses pink to middle.

He's frustrating to watch alright.. Lucky for him I guess, that Murphy's playing poor enough himself...

I think Lisowski wins, based on the fact that of the two he looks that bit less likely to lose.. Was unlucky with the in-off last frame, which cost him dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Even top 8 or top 16 players often don't have their own table at home.

It's probably not as simple as I think, but this amazes me. How do top 16/32 players not have snooker tables in their own home? If I was earning 300-400k a year in prize money it'd be the first thing I'd buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

It's probably not as simple as I think, but this amazes me. How do top 16/32 players not have snooker tables in their own home? If I was earning 300-400k a year in prize money it'd be the first thing I'd buy?

The top players can certainly afford a snooker table but many players prefer to play with other professionals. This generally means at a club. In commentary they often mention which club a player goes to. A lot of them even move to an area where there is a club where he can play with certain players. Ding's academy in Sheffield is not only popular with Chinese players. It was mentioned in commentary yesterday that Jak Jones from Wales moved to Sheffield so he could play at Ding's academy. Higgins, McGill and Maguire have got their own "unit" in Scotland where they play against each other all the time.

• Advertisement

Me too but some just don't. Selby has a pool table at home but not a snooker one. Aaron Hill had one installed earlier this year which is a fair investment for a new or lowly ranked pro given i doubt you'd have that much change out of 10 grand.

Neil Robertson plays at a club in Cambridge, and the club's website even advertise that fact:

https://www.wtssportsbar.co.uk/index
    We are proud to now have two of the best snooker players in the world as our resident professionals: 2010 World Champion Neil Robertson and 2015 Players Championship Winner Joe Perry who can be found most days practicing in the snooker room

Great interview from Jack.. He's very happy to win; and also mentioned that he'd have to win a couple of matches in other comps for similar ranking points. Looks good for remaining in top sixteen.. Think he's 15th atm..

Going on snooker tables for the top boys - they might have the money; but their home setup might not allow for a 25 x 15ft shed; or a room with sufficient space for a table.. They've not all got millions to buy a nice pad in home Counties, or to relocate to a suitable spot where they can get some home practice...

Me too but some just don't. Selby has a pool table at home but not a snooker one. Aaron Hill had one installed earlier this year which is a fair investment for a new or lowly ranked pro given i doubt you'd have that much change out of 10 grand.

Are there any other decent players in the Cork area? If not, then he's basically got a choice of playing at home or moving somewhere where he can practice with other professionals.

mrunsure wrote: »
    Are there any other decent players in the Cork area? If not, then he's basically got a choice of playing at home or moving somewhere where he can practice with other professionals.

Yeah a lot of decent players in cork, likes of ross bulman with some tour experience already to his name and others. Leone Crowley is another highly touted but still very young, 14 or 15 i think. Whether its sufficient for Aaron's needs, though, is a question i'm sure they'll be asking themselves over the next while.

• Advertisement

Great interview from Jack.. He's very happy to win; and also mentioned that he'd have to win a couple of matches in other comps for similar ranking points. Looks good for remaining in top sixteen.. Think he's 15th atm..

Going on snooker tables for the top boys - they might have the money; but their home setup might not allow for a 25 x 15ft shed; or a room with sufficient space for a table.. They've not all got millions to buy a nice pad in home Counties, or to relocate to a suitable spot where they can get some home practice...

I'd say home practice would be very boring anyway, you'd need big discipline for it. And you might prefer to have the home as a sanctuary away from the game in the first place. As well as need a good reason to get out of the house when there are no tournaments on!

I'd say home practice would be very boring anyway, you'd need big discipline for it. And you might prefer to have the home as a sanctuary away from the game in the first place. As well as need a good reason to get out of the house when there are no tournaments on!

I’d say meeting and playing with other pros and not taking your work home with you, as it were, seem like two big factors. Maybe the snooker hall/club environment is something players enjoy also.

Bingham makes a pig’s dinner of 2 excellent chances to win the decider, loses 4-3.

Had two golden opportunities to win frame and match did bingham, managed to muck em both up. Judd some good pots though not near his best, still keeps winning.

Bingham makes a pig’s dinner of 2 excellent chances to win the decider, loses 4-3.

Yeah just said the same. No idea what he was playing the first time, only one outcome the way he played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

I’d say meeting and playing with other pros and not taking your work home with you, as it were, seem like two big factors. Maybe the snooker hall/club environment is something players enjoy also.

Prob get very lazy at home in and bad habits without a buzz and feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Would that Phil Yates ever shut up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie looks well up for this. In full flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Where's the cue ball going?

Slightly puzzled by that miss episode from ronnie. After second miss, ref didn't issue a warning, ronnie queries something and then ref issues the warning he'll forfeit frame should be miss again. Then after a lengthy preamble, not sure what ronnie is questioning, he bravely plays off the cushion again and hits red. All a bit slightly odd.

• Advertisement

Very entertaining frame of snooker. Three big slices of good fortune and still bazz couldn't contrive to win it. Can see a quick kill from ronnie here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm somewhat convinced Ronnie was right but I'm after a drink! He's much more fluent today than he was last week. Good to see.

Slightly puzzled by that miss episode from ronnie. After second miss, ref didn't issue a warning, ronnie queries something and then ref issues the warning he'll forfeit frame should be miss again. Then after a lengthy preamble, not sure what ronnie is questioning, he bravely plays off the cushion again and hits red. All a bit slightly odd.

Ronnie thought you had to be able to hit both sides of the red for the "lose frame warning" to be issued. The referee confirmed that you only have to be able to hit the ball straight on. Ronnie was confusing the rule with the free ball rule where you need to be able to hit both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie thought you had to be able to hit both sides of the red for the "lose frame warning" to be issued. The referee confirmed that you only have to be able to hit the ball straight on. Ronnie was confusing the rule with the free ball rule where you need to be able to hit both sides.

Ah! I was doing the same.

Yeah that makes sense. Though why ref didn't issue the warning until ronnie queried it - at least i don't think he did any way - was strange. There wasn't any doubt about it. Small thing, but i think he should also have warned hawkins in that last frame but don't think he did that time either.

Though why ref didn't issue the warning until ronnie queried it

The ref forgot. Happens quite a lot.
    Small thing, but i think he should also have warned hawkins in that last frame but don't think he did that time either.

Ronnie let him play from where the ball came to rest. If the balls don't get replaced, then the rule doesn't apply. Ronnie could have put the balls back and if he did then there would have been a warning (assuming the referee remembered). As Ken said in commentary, Ronnie doesn't approve of the miss rule so it would have been against his principles to benefit from it. He did similar in one of his matches last week.

Great win for Hossein Vafaei over Ding. Ding a bit sub par but Vafaei punished his mistakes fairly ruthlessly. Most confidence i've seen from him in a long time, great to see.

Some of these Chinese lads aint half bad - Xintong doing very nicely here.

Good victory for the kid there though higgins made him work hard. Thought higgins would go for the snooker behind the black on the last red, certainly looked at it but decided against and left red on. Zhao, lisowski, vafaei - good to see some talented young guys showing some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

What's the order of play this evening?

Advertisement