Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well yes there is a place in the game for the Selby style, but I also find him hard work to watch most of the time. And some of the interest in the game back in the 80s and 90s was in routing for whoever Davis and Hendry were playing at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I remember Steve Davis dominating for a decade without seeming to have too many adverse effects on the games popularity. But maybe we're a little less patient with so much available product these days. But i do believe you need the contrasting styles to add drama and storylines. You need rivalries, edges and villains too.

Davis had White and Higgins as the yang to his Ying. Selby had Ronnie and now Judd. Selby being top dog again wouldn’t kill snooker, it would test a few people’s patience though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well yes there is a place in the game for the Selby style, but I also find him hard work to watch most of the time. And some of the interest in the game back in the 80s and 90s was in routing for whoever Davis and Hendry were playing at the time.

Ah in fairness, no one was more attacking than Hendry. He was a machine, but he never played a negative game.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

The Nal wrote: »
    ITV have the UK rights yeah. Eurosport showing it outside the UK.

So Eurosport will be showing it in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brian? wrote: »
    Davis had White and Higgins as the yang to his Ying. Selby had Ronnie and now Judd. Selby being top dog again wouldn’t kill snooker, it would test a few people’s patience though.

I had visions of selby-ronnie developing into one of the great sporting rivalries following their epic 2014 battle but i don't think it ever truly lifted off for one reason or another. I mean, yeah, there are rivalries now and the more the merrier, but nothing like the davis-higgins face off in the 80s. That was on another level entirely but it was a different time too, snooker occupied a different space in the public consciousness, so i wouldn't overstate the comparison.

• Advertisement

mrunsure wrote: »
    So Eurosport will be showing it in Ireland?

We get british eurosport here so only on itv here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Ronnie was beaten before he struck a ball. Who’s fault is/was that?
    Ronnie, all Ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,460 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

zuutroy wrote: »
    Torture to watch. 6 minute shots. Passive aggressive digs at Ronnie and Hendry in the interview. Threw the toys out of the pram after Sheffield. Can't stand him.

Take away the 6 minutes shots, bit. Replace 'watch' with 'listen to'. And replace 'Ronnie' with Selby/AN other, you could be talking about Ronnie at any time during his career as a professional snooker player.

Let's be honest.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I remember Steve Davis dominating for a decade without seeming to have too many adverse effects on the games popularity. But maybe we're a little less patient with so much available product these days. But i do believe you need the contrasting styles to add drama and storylines. You need rivalries, edges and villains too.

I always like contrasting styles and personalities makes for a better game.

Selby v Ronnie games are always best served when they are in longer matches, it gives a chance to have more changes in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness to Selby, what I liked and what I think he did well tonight was his shot selection and risk management he played himself into a situation where he didn’t require risks, and didn’t take risks...

Ronnie on the other hand needed to risk it for a biscuit and a couple of times when he did and didn’t make the pot / shot he left Mark on... savvy game management by Selby....

Might not be a lightening entertainer in the style of the old Ronnie or one or two others but I like watching him, he’s a tremendous potter, good tactician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Take away the 6 minutes shots, bit. Replace 'watch' with 'listen to'. And replace 'Ronnie' with Selby/AN other, you could be talking about Ronnie at any time during his career as a professional snooker player.

Let's be honest.
    What now?

cadaliac wrote: »
    What now?

I mean the whinging Ronnie has about other pros at different stages in his career.

From complaining about the standard of other pros - the numpties.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/ronnie-o-sullivan-snooker-s-next-generation-are-so-bad-1.4326082

To famously saying he wanted to send Hendry back to Scotland to his sad little life.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/may/02/snooker.danrookwood

I would say the only fella O'Sullivan has not annoyed or slagged off is Jimmy White. Because the two of them are two wide boy 'Geezers' same background and outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hendry while he had a bit of a safe personality away from the table was an absolutely attacking snooker player, an entertainer, fearless, definitely amongst the top or probably the best long potters the sport has seen, great to watch, if it was on, he needed it, he took it on... he competed with none of the petulance that is now associated with Ronnie... Ronnie is in real danger of crossing the line from a slightly edgy rock n roll type character all be it a great player and entertainer to a bit of bore...a caricature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Strumms wrote: »
    Hendry while he had a bit of a safe personality away from the table was an absolutely attacking snooker player, an entertainer, fearless, definitely amongst the top or probably the best long potters the sport has seen, great to watch, if it was on, he needed it, he took it on... he competed with none of the petulance that is now associated with Ronnie... Ronnie is in real danger of crossing the line from a slightly edgy rock n roll type character all be it a great player and entertainer to a bit of bore...a caricature.

He sure was.
    Wasn't it Henry that innovated all the modern breakups of the pack?

On O'sullivan , a lot of these players are very thin skinned being offended by remarks

If you were at a poker table you'd brush it off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Strumms wrote: »
    Ronnie is in real danger of crossing the line from a slightly edgy rock n roll type character all be it a great player and entertainer to a bit of bore...a caricature.

People have been saying that since the 90s. He keeps talking about retiring, he disrespects the game by not playing all the tournaments, he needs to sort his head out, he turns down maximums, he failed a drugs test, his interviews are offensive etc etc.

Was only 16 short weeks ago he won a great world championship and now has finally got the BBCs sportsperson of the year nod. Go back a year and he was doing interviews in a (bad) Australian accent for reasons unknown. He'll probably be snookers biggest news again for something in the Masters.

Whatever he does, hes box office. Id much rather Ronnie active and acting the bollix than another few years of Selby dominating.

2 things about Ronnie

Don't take anything he says seriously because he doesn't either

He's not going to retire, he craves the limelight

Enjoy the game

Henryq. wrote: »
    2 things about Ronnie

Don't take anything he says seriously because he doesn't either

He's not going to retire, he craves the limelight

Enjoy the game

Most people don't at this stage that is the problem. He is making himself a pantomime type character. All the stuff with the tips, the playing on when he needs snookers. 'Paid practice' comments 'Numpties' comments and so on.

I can see why the tabloid readers would lap it up though 'go on Ron' etc. As other posters have said I like Ronnie as a player. But... with all the antics he seems to do all the time (recently) I find myself shouting for the other fella.

Does the game of snooker really need all that type of stuff? Plus you then start to ask yourself does the game of snooker need Ronnie anymore if he is going to keep those antics up? It is really starting to overshadow his talent in my opinion, which shouldn't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He sure was.
    Wasn't it Henry that innovated all the modern breakups of the pack?

Kind off yeah. His strategy was to go into the pack at the first opportunity rather than getting bogged down in safety play at the beginning of the frame. The breakup of the pack was always a thing just he was more aggressive about it.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Kind off yeah. His strategy was to go into the pack at the first opportunity rather than getting bogged down in safety play at the beginning of the frame. The breakup of the pack was always a thing just he was more aggressive about it.

Yes that was it

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes that was it

How Hendry changed snooker:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Don't think Milkins could have expected to have a better start than this.

Too much left hand side on the cueball cost Milkins there; moreso than that tough red. The cueball should have come straight back down off baulk cushion, but instead it went left after it hit that cushion; clashing into the green.

The milkman delivers and didnt bottle it!

Delighted for Rob, one of my favourite of the lower ranked guys. Love to see him go close to a title but just so maddeningly inconsistent.

Was a big call for robbo to go for that black. Thought he might not risk it, was very awkward with no guaranteed position after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Very good performance by Milkins. I think most will be surprised to see Robertson go out so early.

Dunno how much head to heads count for in this sport but rob had beaten robbo a few times before, including both times they met at the crucible. Doesn't seem to mind playing him anyway if the record means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Delighted for Rob, one of my favourite of the lower ranked guys. Love to see him go close to a title but just so maddeningly inconsistent.

He could win the shootout he's so quick

What a plant!! WOW!

• Advertisement

What a plant!! WOW!

:pac: From the sublime to the absurd - snookering himself with respotted blue :pac:

Advertisement