Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 Days of back to back snooker begins today !

Options

Comments

A letoff - didn't get correct on black Judd

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Yeah, Maflin's an Englishman really - just Scandinavian (Norway/Sweden? one of them) by passport/ place of residence, or whatever..

He met a female Norwegian snooker player so moved to Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Overran for the blue by around 6 inches in last frame and another poor positional shot cost him there too. Big chance missed by holt today.

Is Shaun Murphy likely to change is allegiance to Ireland?

Ding won't need many of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Saw Trump got unlucky there, and got stuck amongst the reds... Wonder what the rule is in the unlikely, but not completely implausible situation where the white is touching two or more reds, and it's impossible to play away from any of them without pushing another... Never seen it myself..

If a foul is 100% impossible to avoid you just have to play it, but it's not a miss. Possibly the shot would have to be played with reasonable power to progress the game; otherwise I think it could be called a miss.

It's kind of analogous to where you pot a red, go into the pack and end up with the white completely surrounded by other reds with no gap large enough to get the white through to hit any colour.
    In this case you must nominate a colour and play the foul shot but you can't just role into one of those surrounding reds - you have to play it with (in the refs opinion) enough speed that it would have reached the chosen colour if unimpeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Saw Trump got unlucky there, and got stuck amongst the reds... Wonder what the rule is in the unlikely, but not completely implausible situation where the white is touching two or more reds, and it's impossible to play away from any of them without pushing another... Never seen it myself..

Holt 1 - 0 up atm, and Judd well ahead in frame 2.. Holt at the table with 2 reds left and needs a snooker to tie..

Its not as rare as you might think. A few examples here where players have been snookered on a colour and the only option available is to hit a red. As suggested above, its a foul, but not a miss.

Skip to 4:02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

mrunsure wrote: »
    Is Shaun Murphy likely to change is allegiance to Ireland?

Is he living here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Don't know about that.. There's about 5 Chinese in the top 32, and a few of them have reached semis this year... No one's expecting them to be up there with Ronnie, Robbo, Judd, and Selby.. but they could well fare as well, or better than Allen, Murphy, Wilson et al..

At this stage you're definitely right; in that none of them have torn up many trees, but I'll wait another 3 years before I admit I'm wrong... The rate of progression is there it seems, and making incremental gains. Whether that stagnates, or improves; I'd be favouring the latter myself.

It's very slow the progression though

I'm a bit suspect of their matchplay temperament overall I'd have to say

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Its not as rare as you might think. A few examples here where players have been snookered on a colour and the only option available is to hit a red. As suggested above, its a foul, but not a miss.

Skip to 4:02

Disastrous application of the rules in the opening clip on that video. Neither ref nor both players seem to be aware of how the rule actually works. "You keep replacing until you leave me on," or whatever it is that's said, is definitely not in the book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ya agree... the first one was a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Bit snookered out. Skipping my first Ronnie match in a long time...to go and play snooker.

Henryq. wrote: »
    It's very slow the progression though

I'm a bit suspect of their matchplay temperament overall I'd have to say

I think you can say that for all young players, whether chinese or elsewhere. Junior snooker is all about potting, 2 or 3 chances to win most frames. Massive culture shock when they move up in grade and the seasoned pros start tieing them up in knots. I don't know is it they lack patience for tactical side of game these days, but it is what they have to learn quickly to adapt.

And there was definitely too much hype initially about the chinese. I think it started when a 14 year old Zhao Xintong beat Steve Davis at the china open and they came back talking about this "future world champion" and the "chinese invasion." Zhao is the prototype young modern player, good to watch, great potter but no matchplay sense at all. It's just a very gradual process, but every generation they will get stronger and balance of power will eventually swing. At least i think so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ronnie seems a bit more up for this than he did against Selby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Henryq. wrote: »
    Is he living here?

I belive so. South Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ronnie would have been kicking himself had he lost that frame..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Really is too poor from Carter, he's let Ronnie off the hook too many times tonight.

In interviews, Shaun Murphy said he wasn't able to practice because he had to quarantine every time he came back to Ireland after each tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Practices in Celbridge club.

Has his own table in Stephens Green, mark allen a fairly regular visitor for sparring sessions. Not sure about fergal, but ken based himself in London for the past 6 weeks so there was no issue with quarantine. Difficult decision for murphy to make, though, with a young family. Gotta respect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Martin gould comes from 3-0 down against mark allen to force a decider

What a year for Gould. In the pits of depression in february, contemplating retirement. Now in second round of grand prix and going to finish year inside top 30 in the world and top 10 on one year list. Incredible turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

What a year for Gould. In the pits of depression in february, contemplating retirement. Now in second round of grand prix and going to finish year inside top 30 in the world and top 10 on one year list. Incredible turn around.

Great fightback - on and off the table

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A very very poor shot by Maflin sees him 0-1 against Wilson... played the better snooker and looking the more likely for much of the first frame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Practices in Celbridge club.

He was for about a year, with Fergal and Ken. I am not sure about the other 2, but Murphy has his own practice table somewhere else now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He goes into Stephens Green. During the most restrictive '2km lockdown' in the spring he wasn't even able to get into there. And his dip in form shows.

Even top 8 or top 16 players often don't have their own table at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,664 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Brian? wrote: »
    He was for about a year, with Fergal and Ken. I am not sure about the other 2, but Murphy has his own practice table somewhere else now.

I thought Kens was in the Radisson on the Stillorgan dualer?

Liang 14% long pot success, much more likely to lose matches with a stat like that.

Jack lisowski career in a nutshell. Gets down to play a simple red with his switch hand and leaves it, i kid not, 6 inches short of pocket. You're good but you'll never be ronnie o'sullivan, jack.

• Advertisement

Jack lisowski career in a nutshell. Gets down to play a simple red with his switch hand and leaves it, i kid not, 6 inches short of pocket. You're good but you'll never be ronnie o'sullivan, jack.

:D:D Was like something I'd do playing right-handed, and I'm not a ciotóg :pac:

Advertisement