Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

A little glass jar with a fabric applicator 'neath the lid containing a colourless stain remover branded "dab-it-off"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

McGaggs wrote: »
    Haven't been quite the same in years. Possibly linked to leaving Letterkenny.

Made in Kettering in England now, Irish owned Zed Candy own the titles ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Putting daisies in a jam jar, holes in the lid for air and spending all day trying to catch as many bees as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

the only pick'n'mix still available is at the cinema. That probably wont survive after covid.

To be fair pick n mix and they should have been banned long ago - great for catching dead flies and a magnet for kids grubby little hands

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Businesses named 'John Smith And Sons' - you just don't see the 'And Sons' anymore.

Though there is one red builders van I see around south Dublin with 'And Sons And Daughter'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Anyone remember using videoplus to set the video recorder up to record programmes. The programme listing in the newspaper use to give the I think it was a 7 digit code to be put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Floppybits wrote: »
    Anyone remember using videoplus to set the video recorder up to record programmes. The programme listing in the newspaper use to give the I think it was a 7 digit code to be put in.

It was witchcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It never worked for me, either it slashed the beginning of intended programme or the ending of the programme, once or twice it recorded the wrong channel too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It was witchcraft.

It wasn't far off. I remember explaining it to the folks and I may as well have been talking to the wall.😀

It never worked for me, either it slashed the beginning of intended programme or the ending of the programme, once or twice it recorded the wrong channel too.

Yep it was hit and miss. I also remember sitting there stopping and starting recordings because you didn't want to waste tape recording ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

You'd have to say fancier than what :eek:

But I can remember grandparents having newspaper cut up in the bog.

Surprisingly effective anytime I've had to try it due to running out of bog roll.

Problem is flushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Sure look she’s a kid still. She might not be able to use an oven, but there’s adults just over twice her age who can’t use most modern technology effortlessly. These are skills she‘ll learn in time. My brother didn’t figure out how an oven works till the day before he left to college at 18.

My Aunt back around 1948 moved to the US on her own(to live with her uncle) at that age.

It just encoded the date, time, and channel number so if an earlier programme overran you would miss a bit. the source code for the encoding algorithm is here https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/VCRPlus+/

Putting daisies in a jam jar, holes in the lid for air and spending all day trying to catch as many bees as you can.

Sounds like innocent fun but jaysus cruel as feck. If bumble bees especially as they have small colonies or can be just one set of parents looking to bring back nectar to the young.

One good thing that the youth of today don't have to witness is drowning kittens to keep the cat population down. Can't remember when spaying came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yep it was hit and miss. I also remember sitting there stopping and starting recordings because you didn't want to waste tape recording ads.

And now those with old tapes with ads on them edit out the tv shows and post the ads onto YouTube where they get millions of views from people looking for a nostalgia buzz.

FatherTed wrote: »
    My Aunt back around 1948 moved to the US on her own(to live with her uncle) at that age.

Not trying to outdo you but my aunts moved to the US at 15 and 16. My father was out working at 15 also. Crazy when you think about kids in their 30s and 40s living at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Pause button surely? Hitting stop and record wasn't as seamless.

Videoplus was unreliable. Easier just to manually programme and add a few minutes either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Mimon wrote: »
    Sounds like innocent fun but jaysus cruel as feck. If bumble bees especially as they have small colonies or can be just one set of parents looking to bring back nectar to the young.

One good thing that the youth of today don't have to witness is drowning kittens to keep the cat population down. Can't remember when spaying came in?

Yeah looking back now it probably was cruel . When there's no Internet or screens and 3 channels on TV you find ways to keep yourself entertained. Lucky for us there were no social justice warriors trying to save bees back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yeah looking back now it probably was cruel . When there's no Internet or screens and 3 channels on TV you find ways to keep yourself entertained. Lucky for us there were no social justice warriors trying to save bees back then.

I'm after getting involved with a bee keeper, damn interesting stuff

we always let them go when we got bored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Mimon wrote: »
    Not trying to outdo you but my aunts moved to the US at 15 and 16. My father was out working at 15 also. Crazy when you think about kids in their 30s and 40s living at home now.

2020 is very different from 1950. 15-16 year olds in the 1940s more often than not had little option. Remember you had to pay for secondary school back then so heading out into the workplace was the only option and in Ireland emigrate to the US or the UK where there was plenty of work rebuilding after WWII. I had 2 g/uncles that did just that in 1950. Lived there for 50 years.

But that just shows how skewed the system is now that you do have adults living at home with parents. I am sure 30-40 year olds do not want to leave at home but with prices it is just not possible to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Funniest thing was that there was a videoplus code for the Angelus!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Ringing the talking clock

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes; rural areas with pubs but no chippers. Probably had a pretty dead 2020 though. But they're far from uncommon in Donegal.

The food trucks (as they call them here in Winnipeg) are a standard fixture at most outdoor events here. They even have a food truck competition. Or had, prior to you know what! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Was there a more advanced version that used barcodes in the TV listings and some sort of scanner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

McGaggs wrote: »
    Was there a more advanced version that used barcodes in the TV listings and some sort of scanner?

I had a Panasonic VCR in the 90s that had a handheld scanner for that. Doubt I used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chimneypot20

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

good prospects of buying a property!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Waiting on the Teletext pages to change so you knew what was on what channel for the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

A little glass jar with a fabric applicator 'neath the lid containing a colourless stain remover branded "dab-it-off"

It was very effective at removing stains from clothes. I can still remember my mother lamenting that the old version was no longer for sale. I also remember that it contained the same solvent as the old version of Tippex, namely 1,1,1 trichloroethane, which kids used to sniff before the makers of Tippex changed the formulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Having to clean dead insects off a windscreen after or during a long drive. That was common when I started to drive over 30 years ago but nowadays I rarely see a large number of dead insects on the windscreen.

I only realised it recently after I heard mention of the 'windscreen phenomenon' on TV. It's related to a decline in the population of insects due to human activity.

Advertisement