Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Are chip vans still a thing anywhere?

Used to love going to the chip van after scouts. Curry chips if you had the extra few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

iamstop wrote: »

Used to love going to the chip van after scouts. Curry chips if you had the extra few bob.
    Replace by fancier street food vans doing more exotic fare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People in a market selling pirate dvds or cds with a low res photocopy of the film or the cd cover
    Renting game cartridges from xtravision
    Getting stuck in a game by a puzzle before the web
    there was no guide to solving games like gamefaqs
    If you got stuck on level 2 you might never get a chance to finish the game

riclad wrote: »
    People in a market selling pirate dvds or cds with a low res photocopy of the film or the cd cover
    Didn't Nintendo have a phoneline you could ring years ago if you were stuck in a game and they would tell you how to get past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,058 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

riclad wrote: »
    Did anyone else have a video man come to their house? Basically it was video library on wheels which you could get into and sit on a stool and browse. For approximately 2quid per video, you'd keep it for a week until the van returned again.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

iamstop wrote: »

Yes; rural areas with pubs but no chippers. Probably had a pretty dead 2020 though. But they're far from uncommon in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

There will soon be a generation that will grow up without cigarettes.
    I work in youth work and mostly work with disadvantaged teenagers and young adults, most of the 19 - 21 year old's smoke cigarettes', everyone of the teenagers I work with, aged 14 - 18/19 use vapes, majority of them have never smoked a real cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I work in youth work and mostly work with disadvantaged teenagers and young adults, most of the 19 - 21 year old's smoke cigarettes', everyone of the teenagers I work with, aged 14 - 18/19 use vapes, majority of them have never smoked a real cigarette.

No Harum really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

How about TV and vhs rental, ie the hardware,
    Id say that must be completely gone, I just find it hard to believe anyone would be willing to accept that now.

In a rental place, we had a TV and a VHS rented from some local place, forgot about that, that was still in the 90's
    A good few people came and went from the house so you wouldn't want your stuff out, if someone didnt nick it, it'd probably get knocked over in a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Over the counter Paracetamol in bottles of 100.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Over the counter Paracetamol in bottles of 100.

I recall picking up one if those off the shelf in a UK pharmacy.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I recall picking up one if those off the shelf in a UK pharmacy.

I used to buy a bottle once a year when over in the UK. tbh I'm not sure the big generic bottles of paracetamol were available over the counter here, probably because they'd be so expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sharing a bed with sibling(s) - 'topping and tailing'.

The Booze boat - fare a fiver, price of a litre of spirits a fiver, each ticket got you a free litre.
    Sailing over, never leaving the Holyhead terminal and sailing back. Clinkety clink.

Hector Grey's and the load of stuff you could get for 50p.

Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you.

Big Ed loves Mona.

spurious wrote: »

The Booze boat - fare a fiver, price of a litre of spirits a fiver, each ticket got you a free litre.
    Sailing over, never leaving the Holyhead terminal and sailing back. Clinkety clink.

Big Ed loves Mona.
    Norma you mean? From the Double R.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Norma you mean? From the Double R.

Nicest yogurt ever.

^^
    Oh I thought you were talking about Twin Peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

^^
    Oh I thought you were talking about Twin Peaks.

It was an ad campaign that went in for weeks. 'Big Ed loves Mona,' a big mystery that no one could figure out. We were on tenterhooks for the big reveal and it turned out to be a feckin yogurt. We all had it in our lunch boxes the following week, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Xtravision used to rent out consoles too.
    People used to pay for a TV it might be 2 or 3 quid
    a week, instead of just buying one.
    Black and white tvs, there were also bw TV licences
    Cheaper than a color TV licence
    Before xtravision there were local video rental
    stores they might only have a few 100 videos
    in stock
    Yes there was a helpline for getting advice about
    playing Nintendo games
    G4 TV a TV channel about video games
    Now you can just reviews on youtube

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mona yoghurt used wallpaper paste as thickener. Entirely legit, still is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nicest yogurt ever.

Full fat diet busting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Big Ed loves Mona.

Booze cruise.. Great crack.

Free buses to the the disco on Sunday night if you had a complimentary pass. You spent hours on Saturday night trying to get one!! The bus driver would be as scuttered as the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I saw a girl in a school uniform smoking a cigarette a few weeks ago. I was pretty surprised, hadn't seen a youngster smoking on years

McGaggs wrote: »
    I saw a girl in a school uniform smoking a cigarette a few weeks ago. I was pretty surprised, hadn't seen a youngster smoking on years

Sadly it seems to be creeping back into fashion again especially with young girls. Disappointing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Big Ed loves Mona.

I had a Big Ed loves Mona frisbee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

We had fantasy football before the internet, yes it existed. :) The internet did exist but it sure wasn't in most homes in Ireland. The local library is where I accessed the internet

To enter for example the Sunday World competition you needed their paper before the season started. A huge list of players and their prices and positions would be printed. Every player had a code

Once you picked your dream team you needed to register it. To do this you telephoned a special phone line and entered the codes.

Player 1 - David Seaman so you enter his code something like 0013
    Player 2

And so on. No week to week changes. If your player broke his leg well tough luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

12 inches Re-Mix
    Frankie goes to Hollywood, had the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

12 inches Re-Mix
    Frankie goes to Hollywood, had the best.

Pet Shop Boys and New Order both continue to release singles on 12" and CD. And occasionally 7".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This music most probably attracted metallers, punks and a whole bunch of rockers to dance music in the mid to late nineties, Chill Out Zone on MTV had them in a loop in the weekend.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Doom - the computer game.

Advertisement