Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

One lad in the class who had been on an aeroplane for hols. Him telling us and the teacher about it during class. You would think we were listening to a talk from an astronaut just back from space :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    This generation has not grown up with the Height of technology that was a record player that could also fit (charge free) in an over-head locker.

That record player looked like a modern day (airline, carry on)small case, but when you opened the latches on that "strange/other" case......MUSIC was the only travel available.. if you had a record.

Music to your tastes or offensive to your tastes! Still, it was music.

To be more precise, a box that could accommodate any taste! The box (Today's equivalent/size, of a little case) was something to behold, and also anticipate(on opening),if you had a record handy, more delight's ! .

Kind of like this, my aunt had one back in the early seventies, I remember us playing singles in Bundoran beach and the wind causing the needle to skip :)

0556633900049_045_b?$xlarge$=&fit=constrain&fmt=webp&qlt=80&wid=683

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have a portable turntable I use when going to record fairs.

Particularly when abroad, you'll see lots of records that look like they might be good / interesting

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/576742296017181180/

I don't think a lot of people owned them, but laserdisc players and laserdiscs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That only stopped a few years ago, banks were told they would have to pay for the service rather than the people paying

Nice for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Shannon stopover...

So you are located in the east of the country. You save several hundred pounds to enable yourself to purchase a ticket to fly from Dublin to New York, to see family or just to go on a holiday or both or indeed a work trip.

That price you are paying is influenced by the fact that people in political and local community circles in are demanding that on the way there, you stop, about 20 minutes after taking off from Dublin into an 8 hour flight, for no other reason than to top the aircraft up with fuel it doesn’t need and go shopping.

Like something that would only be heard of in cold war eastern bloc locations and was only phased out 13 or so years ago.

For the privilege of landing somewhere 20 minutes into an 8 hour flight, for a wander and a bit of shopping, the customer is paying for in their tickets...

EXTRA.....

Landing charges

Parking fees

Handling fees

Fuel

Maintenance..

and more besides... no fair minded governance would agree to that... 100% scumbaggary.... “if the Shannon area can’t sustain itself or make itself attractive to visitors or enough visitors, I know let’s make it illegal for planes NOT to stop there !” That’s basically thuggish behavior. Bullying. Like something out of Cold War Russia.

If on the way back, the US said... “ok, 25 minutes after takeoff from jfk, you’ll land at Buffalo international where you’ll be forced off the plane, herded through loads of shops and restaurants, even though you are tired... after 90 minutes you’ll get back on and recommence your journey home.... and in the price of the ticket... handling fees, additional fuel, landing charges etc...”

Like something out of a communist graveyard backwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

spurious wrote: »
    "Air hostesses" bringing around sweets before take off.

Air hostesses bringing around full Irish breakfasts on the early morning flights to London. Barely enough time to wolf the fry down before they had to snatch the plates back off you to land at Heathrow.

It was an expected service, but very impractical in the short time that was available between leveling off on take off from Dublin and then descending again on approach to London.

I bet the cabin crew hated being on the 'fling a fry' shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

branie2 wrote: »
    I don't think a lot of people owned them, but laserdisc players and laserdiscs

I never saw either in reality. I do recall ads for bands' 'video albums' in Smash Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Air hostesses bringing around full Irish breakfasts on the early morning flights to London. Barely enough time to wolf the fry down before they had to snatch the plates back off you to land at Heathrow.

It was an expected service, but very impractical in the short time that was available between leveling off on take off from Dublin and then descending again on approach to London.

I bet the cabin crew hated being on the 'fling a fry' shift.

It was a pretty good fry too compared to the measly effort that ended up on the bia menu... think the last time I ordered it there was two small sausages, once I just got one, one slice of bacon, a big tomato that was designed to make the dish seem full, pudding and potatoes and bread for 10 euros...

09.-Aer-Lingus-Economy-Class-Irish-Breakfast-Bia-Menu-Hot-Dish.jpg

Rubbish basically....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Probably for the best

The original Battlestar Galactica

The original Battlestar Galactica

Forces TV repeat it, The Equalizer, Buck Roger's and Space 1999 on a loop every few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RLF71

Wholesome values and hard work. Everything is handed to them now and excuses for when things don't go their way.

The old one pound/punt note.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ounces and expressions that go with ounces!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Forces TV repeat it, The Equalizer, Buck Roger's and Space 1999 on a loop every few months

And UFO - Gerry Anderson's first live action TV series where he put real people into the type of sets and vehicles that his legendary puppets would have been associated with.

UFO was a much darker story and one that is crying out for a big budget film remake - Just keep Jonathan Frakes and any American influence away from it - they destroyed the live action Thunderbirds Film in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Celebrities who were famous for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Kind of like this, my aunt had one back in the early seventies, I remember us playing singles in Bundoran beach and the wind causing the needle to skip :)

0556633900049_045_b?$xlarge$=&fit=constrain&fmt=webp&qlt=80&wid=683

Jeez, now that brings back memories. Ours was red , but exactly the same size(not sure about the make).

Ger Roe wrote: »
    And UFO - Gerry Anderson's first live action TV series where he put real people into the type of sets and vehicles that his legendary puppets would have been associated with.

UFO was a much darker story and one that is crying out for a big budget film remake - Just keep Jonathan Frakes and any American influence away from it - they destroyed the live action Thunderbirds Film in 2004.

Think what killed UFO was they depended on American money, the later Space 1999 had to have each script vetted by the American backers,

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Jeez, now that brings back memories. Ours was red , but exactly the same size(not sure about the make).

I was just doing some random googling really, that would be a modern version alright with blue tooth technology that can be hooked into most audio systems. Yeah my aunts one was red too, she had bought it in the US when she lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Think what killed UFO was they depended on American money, the later Space 1999 had to have each script vetted by the American backers,

the second season of Space 1999 is so much worse than the first because they made it more action oriented to suit the americans.

the second season of Space 1999 is so much worse than the first because they made it more action oriented to suit the americans.

And half the cast were changed with no explanation

The Avengers.

I refer of course to John Steed and Mrs Peel, not a bunch of pumped up twerps in lycra :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Letter used to come from the school late September when my daughter was in National school so 2018
    Don't think they have gone :mad: Only last year neighbors kids had a note sent home to watch out for them as they had been spotted in the school.
    Nits and lice.

We were lined up in the school hallway and the public health nurse checked us like an assembly line. If you needed "sheep dip" shampoo you got a note to take home.

Having grown up on a farm that shampoo did indeed smell just like sheep dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Watching the Republic of Ireland play in a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Celebrities who were famous for a reason.
    Such as having big tits?

Such as having big tits?

Lolo Ferrari?

Tapioca pudding.

• Advertisement

I know this always comes around in nostalgia threads but wasn't this one of the best chocolates in the world. :)

Picture-22.png

Advertisement