Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

534951.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not many people grew up with IZAL bog paper at home but it was in a lot of institutions and perhaps in schools?

You forgot to add Woolworths https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1006/650327-woolworths-irish-stores-close/ .

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

It was abundant in my early years, it was even considered fancy by some people at the time.

MoodeRator wrote: »
    It was abundant in my early years, it was even considered fancy by some people at the time.

You'd have to say fancier than what :eek:

But I can remember grandparents having newspaper cut up in the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Doodle Brappis

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

You'd have to say fancier than what :eek:

But I can remember grandparents having newspaper cut up in the bog.

This is a double - everyone has money for toilet paper now, and no-one reads newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

Comhrá: teacher cutting out pictures and sticking them to green felt sheet to make us talk Irish
    X marks the ball competition in Sunday Independent and posting in replies
    Teachers wearing graduate gowns to protect clothes from chalk
    The arrival of 'smash' dehydrated mashed potatoes, 'dairy bawn' dehydrated milk and vesta beef curry: just add boiling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

...not grown up with toilet air freshners with a green poisonous wobbly bit in the middle of a plastic cover. Cannot find a pic of them but they were big in the 1990s. The wobbly bit would shrink over a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    ...not grown up with toilet air freshners with a green poisonous wobbly bit in the middle of a plastic cover. Cannot find a pic of them but they were big in the 1990s. The wobbly bit would shrink over a few weeks.

Yes, it was a weird gelatinous substance, the stink of which made your eyes water for the first 24hrs and then smelled of nothing thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ceirseach wrote: »
    vesta beef curry: just add boiling water.

Vesta curry was feckin divine. Nothing like actual curry, mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

HASH, Very little of it around nowadays, The wonderful smell permeated lots of building sites, FÁS training centres and school yard corners.

Sardonicat wrote: »

If I could buy shares to refloat a company to bring back an old product I think I'd go for it. Nothing compares to it even down to the sultanas.

HASH, Very little of it around nowadays, The wonderful smell permeated lots of building sites, FÁS training centres and school yard corners.

You could have had FÁS training centres all on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I notice it a lot more now than ever but maybe it is because the youngsters all smoke smelly skunk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Doom - the computer game.

Doom came out in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Doom came out in 2016

Ah ha ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sardonicat wrote: »

I’m fierce fond of the fancy Thai curries we have now, but I’ve eaten so many that I actually crave the old stuff , so on a recommendation I purchased Paul McGrath’s chip shop curry (just add water) had it on my chips and it was awesome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Doom came out in 2016
    Christ mate I was playing Doom back in the days when I was able to **** to the page 3 girls in the mid nineties let alone 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Not many people grew up with IZAL bog paper at home but it was in a lot of institutions and perhaps in schools?

You forgot to add Woolworths https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1006/650327-woolworths-irish-stores-close/ .

Getting the bus to Derry to buy CD singles in Woolworths. They were 99p when they were new releases, then the price went up to £2 or £3 the week.

• Advertisement

I remember when the first of the lads started getting weed in in my area in about '03 or so, we all felt very sophisticated - like Dr Dre rolling fat blunts, instead of burning lumps of hash and finding them filled with bits of plastic bags, and Lord knows what else...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Doom came out in 2016

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Someone mentioned thumbing a lift. I'm 40 next year and when I was thumbing I'd make a point to remember as many registration numbers of people in my hometown as I could or who was driving what car and the colour. As soon as a car looked familiar I'd stick out my thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

branie2 wrote: »
    The Dandy comic

And the Beano

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...”

― Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

grown up with ---out the masses expecting millions of facebook friends
    and without everyone wanting to be mary whitehouse
    and without everyone despite lack of knowledge and facts
    being\doing\supporting green and climate stooges.
    with out having masses of know alls whom know nothing but
    gain sway and popularity.
    it was nice when the odd individual moron would sprout crap
    and all accepted them as fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

James Bond Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Doom came out in 2016

The Rock Was in the film version in 04/05

branie2 wrote: »
    James Bond Junior

This series, along with 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', was produced in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This series, along with 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', was produced in Dublin.

A friend of mine, was one of the artists. It was cool to see his name in the credits.

Advertisement