Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Den

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

gmisk wrote: »
    He was mentioned and you heard him he was helping out with the building work :)

Excellent have them taped must get stuck in hopefully he makes an appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Dustin to Dermot bannon...you havnt been on rte in at least 7 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

We need this.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Dustin should have his own chat show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Brilliant again. Are there any other shows RTE could bring back on a limited basis to end 2020 on a bit of high note? Maybe Nighthawks, Beat Box or The End with Barry Murphy?

• Advertisement

Karlos77 wrote: »
    Dustin should have his own chat show

They'd only pair him up with some useless co-host and produce it to death, a la Podge and Rodge.
    What happened to Dustin's thick Dublin working class accent from the 90s?

He still has a version of it, but it doesn't quite like it did back in the 90s. Maybe the original voice got to be a bit hard on the puppeteer to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭thesandeman

briany wrote: »
    They'd only pair him up with some useless co-host and produce it to death, a la Podge and Rodge.

He still has a version of it, but it doesn't quite like it did back in the 90s. Maybe the original voice got to be a bit hard on the puppeteer to do.

Puppeteer???

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Aurelian

I think Dustin is perfect like this just being 25% of the show and not the whole show. Back to what made him funny in the first place.

Did anyone notice Ted lurking in the background last week? Sure to attack Ray sooner or later!

Also, does anyone else remember Cousin Nigel from Yorkshire?

Aurelian wrote: »
    I think Dustin is perfect like this just being 25% of the show and not the whole show. Back to what made him funny in the first place.

Did anyone notice Ted lurking in the background last week? Sure to attack Ray sooner or later!

Also, does anyone else remember Cousin Nigel from Yorkshire?

Dustin is excellent when he has other people to undercut. It's hilarious when he goes off on one with Zig, Zag and Ray looking to camera just waiting for him to finish.

I don't know if I directly remember Cousin Nigel, but he is listed as one Zig's alter egos on Wikipedia.

That said, there are a lot of things that apparently happened on the Den which I don't remember, including (I think) Zag allegedly blurting, "Oh, for f*ck sake!" when a kid was taking too long to answer some question on the phone-in quizzes they used to do.

The best thing about the Den is the lack of oversight. It's a good example of the great things that can happen when you give talented performers carte blanche. I have a feeling a reason none of the performers want to revive the show fully is because RTE would end up wrecking their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Never thought I'd say it but I really like Ray in this.
    we were saying the same last night. He’s good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Dustin is excellent when he has other people to undercut. It's hilarious when he goes off on one with Zig, Zag and Ray looking to camera just waiting for him to finish.

I don't know if I directly remember Cousin Nigel, but he is listed as one Zig's alter egos on Wikipedia.

That said, there are a lot of things that apparently happened on the Den which I don't remember, including (I think) Zag allegedly blurting, "Oh, for f*ck sake!" when a kid was taking too long to answer some question on the phone-in quizzes they used to do.

The best thing about the Den is the lack of oversight. It's a good example of the great things that can happen when you give talented performers carte blanche. I have a feeling a reason none of the performers want to revive the show fully is because RTE would end up wrecking their heads.

I remember that, he had an English accent, there was other alters like Captain Joke

There was some great periods over the years, like when Podge first started to appear, in the beginning he'd only talk to Zag on the sly, often threatening him or slagging him off. He would appear then in numerous 'disguises' that the others couldn't see through, he was out to get Dustin and I seem to remember he wanted to eat Zuppy lol

Good ol' days for sure. Had a look at the new one, definitely still has some of that old charm. It's a pity they didn't do it sooner, before my kids were teens, they wouldn't bother with it now but I think they'd have loved it 5-6 years ago - great for those who do still have younger kids though

"I am de Beaked Crusader! I'm a proper superhero, unlike youz chancers!" - Dustin.

Before anyone else says it, yes, turning the set into a chipper is a bit of a re-tread. One of the sets for the original series was that they were in a chip van.

Have to say, just for one year, how magic would it be to have the Den running on Christmas morning in its original strand format, showing a bunch of festive-themed programmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Aurelian

I remember that, he had an English accent, there was other alters like Captain Joke

There was some great periods over the years, like when Podge first started to appear, in the beginning he'd only talk to Zag on the sly, often threatening him or slagging him off. He would appear then in numerous 'disguises' that the others couldn't see through, he was out to get Dustin and I seem to remember he wanted to eat Zuppy lol

Stuff is coming back to me, Podge was very sinister for a kids show. I do remember him manipulating one of them while everyone else was out. I'd hate them to bring in the sanitised chat show version of Podge just for commercial reasons.

I also think Dustin started out very basic and didn't speak at all in the beginning?

Stuff is coming back to me, Podge was very sinister for a kids show. I do remember him manipulating one of them while everyone else was out. I'd hate them to bring in the sanitised chat show version of Podge just for commercial reasons.

I also think Dustin started out very basic and didn't speak at all in the beginning?

When Dustin started, he was naked. I mean you couldn't see his entire body or anything untoward, but the idea was that he was a plucked turkey and would be eaten that Christmas. Zag won him in a golf tournament.

I thought that Podge was the right amount of sinister. Children's minds are not as fragile as certain pearl-clutchers like to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Have to say, just for one year, how magic would it be to have the Den running on Christmas morning in its original strand format, showing a bunch of festive-themed programmes?

God yes, that would be magic! I'd get up early on Christmas morning to watch that even though I've no kids :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

A Christmas Crisis is knocking about on youtube.

Also, I was expecting to see Captain U-Boat last week....AROOGA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah it got a bit weird at times with Podge in the early days, I loved it because I was a teen at the time and much preferred the darker humour.

When Dustin first showed up Zig and Zag wanted to eat him for Christmas I thnk?

Dustin is still able to get away with things that no other Irish celebrity of any description would. I remember he used to call Derek Davies 'hippo-head', which is little more than a roundabout way of calling the man fat & ugly. Always thought that one was a bit offside, but yet Davies seemed to take it on the chin and not get upset over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭thesandeman

What the "Claire Byrne wearing the same kaks" thing about?

What the "Claire Byrne wearing the same kaks" thing about?

Probably an appeal to get her to change her kaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

Yeah it got a bit weird at times with Podge in the early days, I loved it because I was a teen at the time and much preferred the darker humour.

When Dustin first showed up Zig and Zag wanted to eat him for Christmas I thnk?
    I think when Dustin first tuirned up he was called Dustin Hoffmann ..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,854 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brilliant again. Are there any other shows RTE could bring back on a limited basis to end 2020 on a bit of high note? Maybe Nighthawks, Beat Box or The End with Barry Murphy?
    The savage eye....I doubt they would risk that one again!

gmisk wrote: »
    The savage eye....I doubt they would risk that one again!

I'm not sure the problem with the Savage Eye is on RTE's end, to be fair to them. I think McSavage just ran out of material.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Why do I look forward to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Dustin is still able to get away with things that no other Irish celebrity of any description would. I remember he used to call Derek Davies 'hippo-head', which is little more than a roundabout way of calling the man fat & ugly. Always thought that one was a bit offside, but yet Davies seemed to take it on the chin and not get upset over it.
    https://youtu.be/s2cqk4bCumw?t=285

Oh wait wrong person, but in fairness I didn't know they were different people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I absolutely love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Rfrip wrote: »
    I absolutely love this.

Its great.

"You got offered the Den, got selected for the guards, you were a decent footballer yet you ended up in a band when you can't sing!"

Rfrip wrote: »
    I absolutely love this.

I didn’t even watch it originally.
    But this is required viewing now.

We need to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The head on Zig Zag with the Francis Brennan wig :)
    This is brilliant

Edit: I meant Zag!

Advertisement