Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Den

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I loved getting home from school to watch the den but this is kind of ruining that memory for me

It's like that sweet doggie you had and loved as a child, but now it's back as a reanimated stinking carcase...

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Enjoyable trip down memory lane. Will probably be tweaked from week to week to see what works.
    Presume the inserts, rotten apple club etc are prerecorded.
    The physical side of puppetry (lying on the floor with arms held up for extended periods etc) must get tougher to perform as you get older. Presume all of them are around mid 50s now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That was great fun, it's brilliant that it's on between now and Christmas.

What a bunch of moany ****es having a whinge minutes into the start of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

The show tonight only served to reinforce my memory of me only watching Network 2 in the afternoon and early evening because of the great American shows on offer and not really being interested in the segway sketches.

ICE was probably RTE's best attempt at this kind of show if anyone remembers it. These Den sketches were hit and miss, Elev8 wasn't great and SWipeTV was horrendous, so probably a good thing RTE stopped making these types of shows

Segue. Unless there was a running joke about two wheel vehicles that went over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'll see ye all on the Glenroe thread at 8:30. Gonna try to get both the English essay and the Irish essay done before then.

I'll probably end up doing mine on the bus in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to copy off someone.

Anyway, I better get off the internet. My dad wants to use the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

JoeA3 wrote: »
    every Sunday till Christmas.

Trying to recall, wasn't this on every evening during the week originally?

Used to religiously watch this after school, but I'm pretty sure it was every day, rather than just a couple per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mrcheez wrote: »

Used to religiously watch this after school, but I'm pretty sure it was every day, rather than just a couple per week?

Used to be on every weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

mrcheez wrote: »

Yes and Liz Bonnin did Saturday mornings for a time and there was the Disney Club with Mary Kingston and Oisin the dog

dynamice wrote: »
    Thought the singer was brilliant!

CMAT. Incredible voice. I don't understand why she's not (yet) a household name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

kippy wrote: »
    Used to be on every weekday.

From memory Bosco was on every weekday at 2.30 followed by the Den from 3 to 6.

AJB39 wrote: »
    From memory Bosco was on every weekday at 2.30 followed by the Den from 3 to 6.

...followed by Jo Maxi and then Home and Away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Really enjoyed it except for the Rotten Apple club bit. I'm sure they'll play around with it as the weeks go by.
    It really suits Ray and he's obviously enjoying doing it. He seems natural as opposed to being awkward like on the radio show. I could see him doing a good job on the Toy Show if Tubbs had to pull out for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

.anon. wrote: »
    ...followed by Jo Maxi and then Home and Away.

Sabrina before H&A in my times i think. Can't remember Jo Maxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I absolutely loved it. LOVED IT!! Can't wait for next week. I always preferred Ian's Den, and I actually can't stand Ray these days, but fair play to him he is very good at this and it suits him so much more. Hard to believe a fella who can be such good craic with the puppets is so awkward and dull in his other shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The reggae birthdays were class in fairness. And Dustin talking to Darragh and chatting up his 37 year old mam. Great format, I thought it was a bit in the middle between kids and adults at the start but it really grew on me, I'd love to have my nephew over to watch it with us. A lovely mix of stuff.

"Speaking of artists we were talking to Ronan earlier, haha artists, Ronan Keating!"

That Cork comedian is very jarring and difficult to watch at times but I reckon she'll get better when her confidence improves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

maudgonner wrote: »
    Love those little lads from Tyrone. If you haven't seen the original, he goes on for a lot longer - he really is a busy man :D

There is a load of of videos going around of them..the mother works in social media marketing etc so I've read so I'm guessing she is trying to push them as social media stars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

To be fair they're great little lads and they don't seem to have a bother getting up and performing.

RTÉ have a lot of lame ducks in terms of programming but some of their documentaries and instances like this where they platform young people could redeem them and potentially drag back some viewership. If only they would make some half decent dramas and comedies people might even pay the licence fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Absolutely loved this.
    Huge fan of Dustin, Zig & Zag (especially in their Big Breakfast days) not so much D'Arcy but unbelievably this still fits like a comfortable old shoe for the lovable useless radio guy ;)

PS Bring back Big Breakfast, Channel 4!

PPS Zag's reggae birthdays was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Switched off after 10 minutes as did last every viewer according to the Sunday ratings report. Finding Joy on Saturday is the same. Lost nearly every viewer coming in. Fab lead. No viewers left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Switched off after 10 minutes as did last every viewer according to the Sunday ratings report. Finding Joy on Saturday is the same. Lost nearly every viewer coming in. Fab lead. No viewers left.

What ratings did it get? Clearly every last viewer didn’t switch it off as I watched it all as did others who have contributed to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

I watched it and it was great..

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

AJB39 wrote: »
    What ratings did it get? Clearly every last viewer didn’t switch it off as I watched it all as did others who have contributed to this thread.

It came out of the 6.01 News. Massive 60% viewer drop. Earlier after the Bank Holiday, Reeling In The Years 1966 after the 6.01 left in every viewer and even topped the Late Late for the week. Viewers obviously enjoyed looking at a programme from RTE in the '60s than this garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must try and watch it somewhere.
    Was Ray's girlfriend Geri Maye on it?

Now what time is Where in the World on?

Bring back Tiswas

It came out of the 6.01 News. Massive 60% viewer drop. Earlier after the Bank Holiday, Reeling In The Years 1966 after the 6.01 left in every viewer and even topped the Late Late for the week. Viewers obviously enjoyed looking at a programme from RTE in the '60s than this garbage.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Treedays

s1ippy wrote: »
    That Cork comedian is very jarring and difficult to watch at times but I reckon she'll get better when her confidence improves.

Edit - you're right she is from Cork. Sinéad Quinlan is her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm kind of more Dempseys Den era. By the time Ray took over I was in my late teens, did like Blackboard Jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This is not true no way would RTE broadcast that on the news its never put out on the 6 news your just trolling and making it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    This is not true no way would RTE broadcast that on the news its never put out on the 6 news your just trolling and making it up.

I think the poster is trying to say it was on after the 6 1 news which had a viewership of X. X-Y stopped watching after the news instead of continuing on to watch the Den. So they lost Y amount of viewers from the news despite high numbers watching the news. As opposed to reeling in the years on another evening which managed to retain those viewers.
    I think that is what the poster is trying to say but I don't know where those figures would be available.

Advertisement