Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The kerbs also aren't present where there is a dipped kerb on the foopath. People who drive usually complain about people crossing at unofficial crossing points, but I guess, like concern for people cycling to school and so on, it's a bit selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had to take the quays home by bike yesterday as it's the quickest route for me. Waiting at the lights at Winetavern St., and I couldn't believe the amount of people driving down the bus lane on the south quays. It's the thing that annoys me most about driving on the quays, seeing other people not care and using the bus lane to get where they are going ahead of the drivers who follow the rules. Gardaí rarely enforce it, and don't bother addressing it even when they see it.

I was thinking surely Mannix's time and effort could be better spent fixing such an issue. But then remembered he would probably just want to pull out the bus lane too, and make more room for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Carysfort Avenue cycling lane is two way so if you are coming from the village you have to cross at the lights to join it.

I dont know how you can do this safely as this is a cross road so I cycle the way I always do, with the traffic.

This is no longer safe for me or anyone else who doesnt want to cross a road twice to get to where they want to go, the road is much narrower due to this wide cycle lane which is empty most of the day or certainly empty anytime I am on this road.

Cycling on this road is now more dangerous as motorists get enraged when they see cyclists not in the cycle lane, one drove at a teenage boy and forced him onto the footpath. There are residents who live in houses all along this route and most would I would say prefer to cycle with the traffic to their houses, they did not campaign for this cycle lane, it was imposed as a temporary measure but its still there twelve months later without any planning permission, its there for good, the same way Strand road one way will be permanent too if its implemmented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

But you no more than Keegan are a willing to quantify or address the growing pains or the "adjustments".

The attempt to close Strand Rd - to the exclusion of any of the other scenarios presented by the NTA - was Keegan's doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If your driving is as careless as your cycling, I'm not sure you should be on the road. You clearly don't understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"I dont know how you can do this safely as this is a cross road ."

Do you know how to make a right turn on your bike?

Make a right turn, then turn into the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Someone tried to murder a teenager and it's a cycle lanes fault lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

These motorists shouldn't be on the road then.

There was a public consultation for this cycle lane starting in April 2019 (might be out) and 60% of supported a 2 way cycle lane on one side. So you may "say" or believe what you want to believe, but it's wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

Does that particular junction not have a cyclist & pedestrian green light? I can't remember but I regularly cycle that route and find it great, much better than before the cycling lane was put in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I can tell you that in the areas I've been driving though for decades, the throughput is greatly reduced over that times due to less lanes, more junctions. Sometimes thats intentionally to discourage drivers, sometimes to facilitate buses. Sometimes not.

Pre-Covid, this has almost never been to improve cycling. I can say in all that time (decades pre-covid) the cycling infrastructure I use to get work has mostly not changed.

We have no idea who the 60 per cent were but a local councillor told me the vast majority were from outside the area, again a campaign run by lobby groups to make it look like there is huge demand for cycle lanes. The same thing happened in Sandymount but luckily the locals there united to prevent something they did not want, they are the ones who have to live with the after effects of these madcap policies.

I've seen this trope as well. They always say that when they don't get the result they want in a consultation.

I don't really know the mechanics of a consultation though.

You cant make a right turn across a junction with cars coming from four different directions.

And you generally dont make right turns to cycle against traffic flow, much better to stay on the side of the road you are on and cycle with the traffic.

As I have done for over twenty years until someone decided reducing a road by a third and putting a cycling lane in thats unused for most of the day was a good idea.

You possibly have to get off your bike and go through two pedestrians crossings to get to the cycle lane, I have no intention of doing this so I will ignore motorists beeping and shouting at me about cycling lanes, I didnt ask for them and they are of no benefit to me.

I feel sorry for disabled people including blind people who have to cross that ugly looking chess box thing on Carysfort Avenue to board their bus, they have to contend with speeding cyclists while getting on and off the bus, its all about cyclists though no one else matters.

And as for those ridiculous plans to strangle the traffic at Stillorgan park, we already have cycling lanes on both sides of the road and the one from Stillorgan village has been a disgrace for years, its actually shared with pedestrians, you get good at jumpimg out of the way. Its now proposed to make serious changes here including blocking off filter lanes to housing estates and removing the left lane filter at the N11. Its insanity and meanwhile cyclists are cycling over dangerous tree roots and uneven paths for years now on this route.

There doesnt seem to be any accountability at all or any method to the madness.

Actually, now I look into it, there's a trope of the trope, where the Dublin Cycling Campaign is lobbying extensively outside the state for people to make submissions.

If you are talking about the Carysfort avenue cycling lane I find it much worse,cycled it for years without incident and now its a pain in the ass.

Literally running a gautlet of abuse for refusing to cross a major road to get into it.

Is this a permanent temporary sort of measure does anyone know, it went in without any consultation with local residents.

I'm not sure our time is best spent trawling through the minutiae of your dislikes of infrastructure in your area, especially as no-one so far with knowledge of the area seems to share your misgivings, and people here are very quick to find fault with infrastructure.

Thats ok, I dont like your posts either.

You refuse to acknowledge anyone elses point of view particularly residents who will be badly impacted if you get what you want.

Your answer is to buy a cargo bike because you save thousands of euros using yours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A councillor telling you is not evidence of anything though. You could just read the report https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/transportation/carysfort-avenue-cycle-route-options-pre-scheme-pu/results/cycletracAksoncarysfortavenuepublicconsultationreportapril2020.pdf rather than rely on hearsay or feelings as you seem to keep doing.

The main objection was lose of on street parking, so people didn't seem to care about the loss of road space. Some did thinking the roads too narrow, while others wanted wider footpaths. There's definitely a handful of reasonable objections, but most of them are really just non goers that were rightly not entertained.

Someone even said motorists pay more taxes. Could point to the CSO figures that show that cycling commuters have a higher median income than those who commute by car, so you could probably flip the tax argument too if you really wanted to

I actually haven't muted you, unlike a few others, because I think you're not misrepresenting the extent of your background knowledge, or, mostly, indulging in ad-hominems. I didn't tell you to buy a cargo bike. I made a suggestion for you to take advantage of the fact that you can walk more quickly to the shops than drive, and it didn't involve cargo bikes.

• Advertisement

I walked to the shops today as someone took my car.

I got absolutely soaked and my shoulders were hanging off with the shopping.

I had to help an elderly person lift her shopping into her carboot.

I should have told her she shouldnt be driving, a cargo bike would be better for the environment.

Do you always mute the opinions of people you dont agree with, this isnt actually very healthy, it just becomes group think and then you cant understand why you wont always get your way.

I wouldn't go so far as saying I wanted the Strand Road build either. At least, I'm not heavily invested in it. I don't use that route, and I've said that a few times before. I'm most responding to more general points about infrastructure in South Dublin, which is what the thread is about.

I'm sorry I told you to go walking in heavy rain.

I've never muted anyone on boards before, but this thread is interminable, and I got fed up with lengthy posts making exactly the same points repeatedly, with ad-hominems in them, and unlikely theories about the trajectory of the coalition and Brexit.

I was going to just stop following, but there are some interesting points in it still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

off to the walking forum with you if you're up to those sort of shenanigans.

Have you considered getting a raincoat? A tonne or two of metal isn't really a good raincoat.

Maybe a shopping trolley or a backpack too.

"You cant make a right turn across a junction with cars coming from four different directions."

That's why they have traffic lights there, to hold traffic from two of the four directions as you cross. If you can make a right turn, you can make that turn. It sounds like you're refusing on principle and trying to stir up dissent.

"Someone even said motorists pay more taxes. Could point to the CSO figures that show that cycling commuters have a higher median income than those who commute by car, so you could probably flip the tax argument too if you really wanted to"

You can invert the argument and keep attacking anyway, as Mannix does, talking about how cyclists are all middle class.

Yeah, that was mentioned, but in the retelling it became me telling him to get a cargo bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christ yeah, humanity has failed if the only way of getting your shopping home is in a vehicle which weighs 100 times as much as your shopping does.

Advertisement