Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm happy calling keegan a bollocks from behind a stupid username. his name will forever be associated with the whitewater rafting project, one where he tried to push through a white elephant, and one which was one of the sports he favours.

just because he was a supporter of the cycleway does not mean he's not an arrogant ass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you have a problem, report it. The post being replied to was nothing more than a rant with a load of unsubstantiated nonsense, from a poster who has stated several things as fact that have been anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The "well thought out" position doesn't seem to make it any further than the nose on the poster's face because I've not seen them argue one thing that is not something personal to themselves. I think there's a word for not acknowledging the points raised against you and repeating the same thing over and over again as if on an old timey soapbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Maybe we should all identify ourselves and reveal our interests. You up for that Tao?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

I've been following this thread out of mild curiosity, but Jesus lads, my two young fellas are able to debate at a higher standard than this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't even know why people are so hung up on Owen Keegan. I know people use him as a personification of Dublin City Council but this is Brendan O'Brien's project. Sure, Keegan is backing it but he probably heard about it after design started.

The project predates Keegan and by some time.

A report was commissioned in 04/5 and delivered in 2006 for the Dublin Regional Authority in January 2006. Even then Sandymount was given a different treatment though, as the design for the area considered the victorian character of the place, and it was to be done differently to the rest of the route. This shows that it was considered for Dublin North and South, a route for all, and it's not just about Sandymount.

But yeah, Keegan

Likewise. My job is based on people driving and crashing cars, more or less, and the lousy standard of driving in Ireland thankfully keeps me busy but even I, whose mortgage depends on people driving on the roads, can see the era of cars dominating cities is coming to an end. it doesn't really matter if it's next year or a decade's time but private cars are going to be phased out of inner-city transport. The map posted a few pages back already shows it is happening. In my sector of the legal industry we see the end of private car ownership and autonomous cars as almost an existential to us so by rights I should be against the cycleway but the war is lost, imo.

• Advertisement

When did the plan to close Strand Rd to northbound traffic emerge?

Why wouldnt posters argue about something personal to themselves.

Installing a bike lane on Strand Road will inconvenience motorists all over South Dublin. Thats personal to me so I am not going to put the interests of someone who wants this cycle lane before my need to get from A to B.

I was almost knocked off my bike last night because I didnt get off it to press a pedestrian button and wait for lights to change, it was late and I couldnt be bothered.A car turned left without indicating and I couldnt get into the cycle lane because of the kerb.

Yes, my fault as well as driver for not indicating but if that empty cycling lane wasnt there this incident wouldnt have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've been using the new-build infrastructure with a 2.5m long cargo bike weighing 40kg or so, with two kids in it, and I'm not having any of the difficulties manoeuvring round it that you seem to be having.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But surely we should be inconveniencing motorists and taking road space away from them if we want to shift to more efficient sustainable means of transport in Dublin, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So that's a no then from you then. You wouldn't say it to his face.

things like this is why the war is lost, imo. Companies are not going to keep paying for a fleet of vans, with expensive running costs, when it's more profitable to use electric cargo bikes to deliver things. they'll paint it as good for the environment but really it'll be cost saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So there you go. You are not going to put the needs of the many above your need to nip to the shops with the entire family in tow.

In this very strange situation where you were almost knocked over after not pressing a button at a pedestrian crossing in what sounds like the dark, why couldn't you turn on the road? It all sounds a very strange situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

The whole cycling lobby is predominately male, all the officials involved in promoting cycling in Dunlaoghaire and in DCC are male too, there has to be input from other cohorts in the community.

That's the effects of years of no proper infrastructure scaring off women, children & elderly. It stands to reason that cycling activists would be male because they form the majority of cyclists at present. The whole point of developing safe, segregated cycle infrastructure is to encourage more people, and wider diversity, to take up cycling. As has been said, this infrastructure isn't for the "lycra-clad" that seem to be endemic (according to angry letters to newspapers).

Whats wrong with walking to school, meeting your pals on the way and having a chat, this is what my children did, the girls wouldnt have cycled anyway because of the school skirt and the straightened hair. Son always cycled on the road and he hates the new cycle lanes too, he says when he is cycling he doesnt want to be a pedestrian, ie getting off his bike to press a button to stop the traffic so he can cross to a two way cycle lane.

It could equally be said, when people complain about motorists being inconvenienced, "what's wrong with walking to [insert destination]"? I know, a nonsense response, same as yours. It's like going into a shop and asking for a pint of milk and the shop assistant saying "what's wrong with potatoes?". Some people want to cycle, what's wrong with that? And where do people have to press pedestrian lights to join a 2-way cycle lane? The CMR? Why not cycle along the road until traffic clears before joining it? Even if I was to use the pedestrian lights, the relief on joining the segregated cycle lane of not having to watch your back for dangerous drivers far outweighs any inconvenience.

I had a very short distance to cycle so went on the footpath, no one around.

I couldnt then cross without getting off the bike and pressing the pedestrian button so I tried to cycle across the road, thought the car was going straight but then she turned left and I couldnt get out of her way because of the kerb. I couldnt go right then either further on so had to get off the bike again and come round the edge of the kerb. And then people object when I drive to where I want to go.

Those kerbs are dangerous anyway to pedestrians,elderly people have to step over them to cross the cycle lane to get to the footpath and they arent painted. Its difficult to see them in the dark so no wonder people are tripping over them.

The needs of the many is to get themselves and their family to wherever they need to go, cyclists are a minority but they make a lot of noise,you can see how little use is made of cycle lanes where I live and if you want to get people out of cars a better solution is to provide free public transport.

• Advertisement

Well the NTA flagged it as one of the options in 2016, not DCC and Keegan.

Heritage council produced a report in 2011 too that said among other things concerning the design of Sandymount that traffic on Strand Road has effecectively ruined the character of it and disturbs the once prominent views and noted the that there were safety concerns all around the village for Pedestrians and Cyclists due to the volume of traffic and the lack of calming. This had input from locals too. So when they have a chance to make a significant change, that should really bring positive impacts for the above concerns in the long term, they chose not to. MAdness.

Yes short to mid term, there will be growing pains and adjustment, but that's what change does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why though. with half decent logisitis I could make more deliveries in a shorter space of time on a cargo bike than I could in a van, electric or otherwise due to the traffic volumes. Cargo bike opens up so many other route options and less time waiting in said traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The Regional Route outside my house is currently empty. Actually it is empty most of the day everyday, and there is also a motorway parallel. Lets get rid of it too. It is under-used. It should be converted to a QBC with no private vehicles permitted. Am I doing this right?

Think getting around traffic jams, parking and loading are easier for cargo trikes. They have that advantage of container shipping: you can go to the depot, and they just put the new container onto the trike, pre-loaded.

They carry less than vans, but a lot of vans seem to be mostly empty anyway on most journeys.

Possibly, and for my career's future, ideally, but why would a company invest in a less efficient but more expensive way of doing business? It's inevitable that profit margins will make the decision for them, imo.

"cyclists are a minority"

On the quays at peak times, where the cycle infrastruture is being eyed up for a Mannixing, there are more cyclists than people driving. In the city centre, only about 30% of people arrive by private car. There are quite a few places where people who drive are overprovided for, and where they are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"Those kerbs are dangerous anyway to pedestrians,elderly people have to step over them to cross the cycle lane to get to the footpath and they arent painted. Its difficult to see them in the dark so no wonder people are tripping over them."

Do people have trouble seeing ordinary kerbs, unpainted, in the dark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is it? It seems to me we're not doing enough, and plans are starting to get Mannixed. But yes I guess we've made some strides.

Also, go to the North Strand at rush hour and tell me cyclists are a minority. It's a constant busy stream towards the centre, at least it was pre covid and will be again.

Advertisement