Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So just to clarify, are you saying that you prefer your walking routes (like Seapoint Avenue) to have MORE exhaust fumes, more brake pad particles, more tyre particles choking up the air you breath and the environment around you?

Maybe you should do your walks on the central reservation on the N11, while the rest of us go to parks and beaches to enjoy some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We can only hope for something like this. Its in the hands of either the courts or the Oireachtas now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so we have people who thought the scheme was a good idea, and disagree with the judge, and we have people who thought the scheme was a bad idea and agree with the judge.

i wonder if there's anyone in the other opposing camps - people who wanted the scheme to go ahead, but think the judge was correct, or people who didn't want the scheme to go ahead, but reckon the council were acting within their legitimate powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Saw one person on Twitter in the former camp (of people I follow or turn up in my timeline from outside Cycling Twitter). I think bafflement at Captain Mannix steering his ship to new waters took over pretty quickly from any discussion of the merits of the case.

One would expect that if TII consider an eastern bypass beneficial they'd consider it vital the existing route remain in operation until such time as a bypass was built but I can't speak for them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bypassing what exactly?

Do you mean to bypass Dublin (in which case we already have a bypass) or do you mean bypass the city centre (in which case, part of the bypass would be in the city it is bypassing)?

Either way, it would be a lot of money spent on an unsuatainable method of transit simply to placate those who won't choose sustainable travel for whatever reason.

If they refer to a bypass by name as the Eastern Bypass then I don't see how it could possibly ever be confused with the M50.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

I sometimes wonder if the guys who just like to cycle and talk about their hobby get any utility out of this sub-forum as it is monopolized by those who wish to bitch and gripe about the existence of cars and trucks in a modern cityscape.

..A large urban population centre...on the eastern side of said population centre...can't be clearer than that I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Eastern Bypass is never going to happen. Never mind local environmental issues, and the context of less reliance on carbon fuels, there'd be more than a handful of Sandymount residents objecting to a bridge.

This whole issue again highlights the under utilisation* of ANPR - enforcement of the HGV ban, and potentially a waiver/ refund of the port tunnel tolls for genuine port traffic.

*on top of tax, insurance, driving licences etc.

Did you carry your family on your back.

I would walk to the local Dunnes quicker than I would drive too, I would either have to get a taxi home or ring someone to drive to collect me as I cant carry shopping for six people.

None of the posts here address the pertinent question, where are the thousands of cars who use the Strand Road to go if their access to this road is blocked.

How will we deal with these extra cars on the Merrion Road as the resultant traffic jams will cause tailbacks all over South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I was walking home from work. However, cargo bikes are very efficient for shopping and transporting children. I don’t have one myself though.

The question about where traffic will go has been covered a number of times in this thread already.

"I can't carry shopping for six people"

I know that there is ageist prejudice against them, because of the demographic they're associated with, but it's quite easy to carry large amounts of shopping over walking distances with various hand carts (I have one and my wife has one), and they're widely available for purchase. You can even get electric-assist versions.

If that seems too inconguous, and since you do actually cycle, there are very large panniers you can get. You don't even have to cycle. You can just wheel the bike and let it carry the weight of the shopping.

I only mention these, because you could actually save yourself time, given it's faster walking, and get a bit of healthful walking in.

I cycled everyday to work in Dublin city twenty years ago, there wasnt a cycle lane in sight and I was in my mid twenties.

I never demanded that anyone get out of their car to facilitate me and never demanded that roads be made one wsy to suit me.

I still cycle and avoid those two way cycle lanes, hate speeding male cyclists either behind me or coming towards me, this behaviour needs to be acknowledged and dealt with, it may require bikes to have number plates.Its having a very detrimental effect on beginners using those lanes, I know some cyclists who cycle on busy Monkstown Road rather than the coastal mobility route because of other cyclists behaviour.

Anyway the point is if you really want to cycle you will need to cycle in traffic so learn how to do it, it isnt possible to provide off road cycling everywhere and nor should we try, its too much disruption for too little benefit and most cycle lanes end with you thrown back in traffic anyway.

I preferred this area when there were cars with light and other people around at night.

Its dark and deserted in the Autumn as no one out cycling so doesnt feel safe.

Scoff away.

This isn't true though. Children and women are clearly cycling more in the segregated infrastructure in DLR. People are much more intimidated by sharing the road with cars than any blowhards on a bike.

I personally don't mind using the road, and often prefer it, which would be common among many posters here, but I'm reminded of when Adlai Stevenson ran for the presidency of the USA and heard a supporter tell him "Every thinking person in America will be voting for you." Stevenson replied, "I'm afraid that won't do—I need a majority."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Been reading a lot of this thread and you seem to be posting on it as some sort of diary for things that you do that have no relevance to what the cycle lane is trying achieve. An extra few minutes in traffic surely won't be too strenuous if shopping is a whole family event?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just this thread given its about infrastructure, and the forum is not just about sport cycling but utility cycling and long has been.

Modern cityscape should be moving away from cars. A modern city is one that can be accessed and travelled around efficiently as possible. Walking and cycling , along with better public transpoets (shuttles, Luas etc) are the best ways of achieving that. The city as a destination will improve immensely when large amounts of traffic are removed and cars are no longer prioritised over pedestrians, never mind cyclists.

And on that. Just 30 mins ago, I had to help a wheelchair user across the road. Because the light sequence is so f*cking utterly awful and people impatient or just not looking that he was not confident crossing it. That and the absolutely p!as poor state of some of our footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Can’t you drive to the shop? How will Strand Road being closed in one direction stop you doing this? Even if your are a resident on Strand Road your cat access is maintained.

Total hyperbole at this stage.

Tge idea is not to ban cars or car journeys. It’s to make other means of transport more attractive.

Also, if this were typical disjointed segments of infrastructure, up on the footpath or just with paint, the pushback would be a lot less. The councils have decided to build networks, which is where is the point where uptake really improves, as seen in Seville.

They can eat cake for sustenence on their day out too.

Don't even need large panniers for something's. A rack and bungee chords and you can get IKEA furniture home if youre confident. But again trailers and such will make it a doddle.

I've carried all sorts of stuff home on the bike too, and I don't have a cargo bike

I play tennis and golf every week and I hill walk and cycle when I feel like a spin.

I have no desire to buy a cargo bike, no room for it as my golf gear takes up a lot of space.

I am not overloading a bike with a trolley full of shopping to cycle downhill, that wouldnt be safe.

I will take my car to the free carpark provided and do what suits me, I am over fifty years of age and there is only so much wear and tear a body can take.

And no, I am not pulling handcarts full of shopping either, I already have shoulder and knee problems and playing tennis is important to me,you are probablythirty years of age, no family etc to consider so you and your wife can plan your lives around your hobby.

Ps, you will probably come up with a solution to get to the golf club without the car, thanks but no thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Number plates famously stop speeding alright.

I'm sure almost everyone on this forum can cycle among traffic just fine. But that is why it is so limited. You build the infrastructure and the usage skyrockets.

Yeah, this was probably the biggest single thing I ever carried.

Actually, I've used that old trailer/stroller for carrying large amounts of stuff by foot as well. It's very handy.

It's perfectly safe. The mechanics of golf are well able to impact upper body, hips and knees so that point doesn't fly either.

Evidence is that cycling would in fact help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

For those who think today's IT letter writers are worth quoting:

"Climate change is a clear and present danger, and we are fast approaching a global climate which is beyond that which has been experienced in the entire history of human civilisation.

Unless citizens are willing to accept that our lifestyles must fundamentally change – and that there will be some pain – we have no chance of achieving a habitable future.

This is not idealism. It’s realism. We’re in an emergency."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/climate-crisis-and-political-action-1.4638066

Advertisement