Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭jmcc

I think I asked before without answer what was the voting breakdown for MLD as leader of SF. Can't find it anywhere online.
    Have you tried asking SF?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

""Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
    Leo may still do jail time"

Any shred of respect I had for you as a poster is well gone now.
    "Leo may still do jail time".. If you read that as 'Leo is expected to do jail time', you should probably go over a whole heap of posts in this forum that you have also misread.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/when-to-use-can-and-may
    Origin and Meaning of 'May'

May is the earlier verb, showing up in manuscripts from the 8th century. It originally referred to having strength or power, and then very quickly developed a meaning that referred to ability. This particular meaning is no longer in current use, but we find a late representative of this use in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales from 1395: “We mowen nat...It ouertake, it slit awey so faste” (“We may not overtake it, it slid away so fast”). May also developed a meaning referring to possibility, which we’re still familiar with today (“I may be able to have lunch with you this Thursday”), and the meaning that schoolteachers insist it has today–one that grants permission (“You may use the bathroom”). All four of these meanings were in use before 1000AD.

The dictionary definitions are out. Probably time for us all to call it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    If hes charged and found quilty, he may do jail time.

Nothing said there thats not true

So you agree that poster claimed that LV would face jail time? That's all I was trying to point out.

jmcc wrote: »
    Have you tried asking SF?

Regards...jmcc

That's what I thought I was doing here.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought I was doing here.
    It may have escaped your notice but this is Boards.ie

Sinnfein.ie is a different website. :)

Regards...jmcc

It may have escaped your notice but this is Boards.ie

Sinnfein.ie is a different website. :)

Regards...jmcc

Can't find anything there about the election process thats why I asked here.

Is it a coronation? That might explain why I can't see the results.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

So you agree that poster claimed that LV would face jail time? That's all I was trying to point out.

May and Would are completely different words

• Registered Users Posts: 68,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jesus.

Anyone being criminally investigated MAY do jail time.

'Expecting them' to is a different thing.

This is still Boards.ie
    Is it a coronation?
    Think that only Labour does that kind of thing. Though they had to replace the invisible Howlin afterwards.
    That might explain why I can't see the results.
    Well, this is Boards.ie :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Is it a coronation? That might explain why I can't see the results.

This is a thread about Leo Varadkar, why would you not ask the question on a Sinn Fein thread?

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    This is a thread about Leo Varadkar, why would you not ask the question on a Sinn Fein thread?

Ask the poster who brought it up. I just replied.

The majority of FG members voted for Coveney as leader. The FG politburo (the Oireachtas party) installed their candidate as leader. The voting totals were posted earlier in this thread, I think. Coveney got more votes.

Regards...jmcc

So SF is now FG? Confusing Boards.ie with Sinnfein.ie was bad but this is going to have FGers spluttering their morning tea out their noses later this morning. :)

Regards...jmcc

Jesus.

Anyone being criminally investigated MAY do jail time.

'Expecting them' to is a different thing.

Fully agree. Your original post talking about him maybe going to jail was pure hyperbole.

Thanks for clearing that up.

More votes in the morning for parties other than Fine Gael, thanks to Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I don't think Simon's interview with the Guards was under caution as this was not mentioned in the story about his interview. It looks like things may get more interesting and even if Leo is not charged he is tainted.

So SF is now FG? Confusing Boards.ie with Sinnfein.ie was bad but this is going to have FGers spluttering their morning tea out their noses later this morning. :)

Regards...jmcc

What are you on about? This post makes no sense.

A poster said this:

"The majority of FG members voted for Coveney as leader. The FG politburo (the Oireachtas party) installed their candidate as leader. The voting totals were posted earlier in this thread, I think. Coveney got more votes.

Regards...jmcc"

I responded asking where I could see the results of the SF election of MLMD thats all.

Fully agree. Your original post talking about him maybe going to jail was pure hyperbole.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think the built in admission that you think somebody under criminal investigation does not face the possibility of jail is just freaking wonderful. Bending stark facts to defend FG. Excellent!
    Nite.

What are you on about? This post makes no sense.

A poster said this:

"The majority of FG members voted for Coveney as leader. The FG politburo (the Oireachtas party) installed their candidate as leader. The voting totals were posted earlier in this thread, I think. Coveney got more votes.

Regards...jmcc"

I responded asking where I could see the results of the SF election of MLMD thats all.
    Have you tried contacting Sinn Fein via the Sinnfein.ie website? This is Boards.ie

Regards...jmcc

Have you tried contacting Sinn Fein via the Sinnfein.ie website? This is Boards.ie

Regards...jmcc

I don't really want to get listed on the SF database so thought it was better just reply here.

• Advertisement

I think the built in admission that you think somebody under criminal investigation does not face the possibility of jail is just freaking wonderful. Bending stark facts to defend FG. Excellent!
    Nite.

Instead of going around in circles do you still believe LV may go to jail on these charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The dictionary definitions are out. Probably time for us all to call it a night.
    Sometimes the only way to show where the error lies. I won't stop you calling it a night (or a day) though.

Instead of going around in circles do you still believe LV may go to jail on these charges?

I never thought he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

""Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
    Leo may still do jail time"

Any shred of respect I had for you as a poster is well gone now.

Respect as poster , seriously. Defends Peados , rapists , criminals, armed robbers , drug dealers , punishment beatings , kangaroo courts , child killers - actually the list grows by the day .If it’s not a joke account then the poster has no morels whatsoever.

Respect as poster , seriously. Defends Peados , rapists , criminals, armed robbers , drug dealers , punishment beatings , kangaroo courts , child killers - actually the list grows by the day .If it’s not a joke account then the poster has no morels whatsoever.

Now comes the outright lies.

I never thought he would.[/QUOTE

Again proving why I can't find your posts genuine after this.

"Leo may still do jail time."

Why post this if you never thought he would?

I never thought he would.[/QUOTE

Again proving why I can't find your posts genuine after this.

"Leo may still do jail time."

Why post this if you never thought he would?

What outcomes 'may' there be from a criminal investigation the penalty for which is up to 12 years in jail?

Sleep on it. It might occur to you that a fact is different from my expectation.

I didn't at any point 'expect' him to face jail.

What outcomes 'may' there be from a criminal investigation the penalty for which is up to 12 years in jail?

Sleep on it. It might occur to you that a fact is different from my expectation.

I didn't at any point 'expect' him to face jail.

You did.

You said: "Leo may still do jail time."

Goodnight.

The Sunday Times article states him amd his not friend are friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

According to the Sindo:

Tánaiste quizzed by gardaí over leak

Fine Gael leader questioned for several hours over sharing of confidential GP deal

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has been questioned by gardaí over the leaking of a confidential Government document, while detectives also took possession of the Fine Gael leader’s mobile phone after he handed it over in a major upscaling of the investigation.

The Sunday Independent can reveal that Mr Varadkar was questioned for several hours at a Dublin garda station on Friday April 9 by detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI). The investigators also examined his mobile phone as part of the probe.

He met gardaí by appointment and was questioned for several hours by officers in the presence of his solicitor. His statement to gardaí over the controversy was voluntary.

The Tánaiste is under investigation over his leaking of a confidential copy of the Government’s proposed new GP contract with the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO) to his friend, Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail, in 2019.

A spokesperson for Mr Varadkar said last night: “The Tanaiste met the gardaí voluntarily by appointment earlier this month. He made a full statement and answered all questions. On advice the Tanaiste cannot say anything further until the investigation is complete. He has made a full account to the Dáil on this matter and looks forward to it being concluded.”

Dr Ó Tuathail was the head of the rival National Association of General Practitioners at the time.
    He has now also been interviewed by investigating officers, it is understood.

Dr Ó Tuathail met gardaí by arrangement at Terenure garda station on Monday April 5 and provided a voluntary statement following questioning.

He was also accompanied by a solicitor. Sources say that a “major focus” of Dr Ó Tuathail’s questioning was the exact nature of his friendship and his history with Mr Varadkar, as well as specifics about how the Tánaiste leaked the GP contract to him.

Former health minister Simon Harris provided gardaí with a statement in relation to the probe in February.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Dr Ó Tuathail or Mr Harris.

A spokesman for Garda headquarters declined to comment when contacted, saying: “In relation to your enquiry, An Garda Síochána does not comment on ongoing investigations.”

As detectives from NBCI have now spoken to both the Tánaiste and Dr Ó Tuathail — considered the key people in the probe — they will now begin their preparation of a file over the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

It is understood that gardaí intend to outline all the facts of the case to the DPP and it will be left up to the State prosecutor to make a decision on whether or not charges should be brought against Mr Varadkar.

Detectives can make a recommendation in any file submitted to the State prosecutor on whether criminal charges should be proffered. But in this instance, gardaí are expected to just outline the facts of the case, leaving the matter entirely up to the DPP to adjudicate on, which is also within the Garda remit.

Gardaí are examining whether the leak is a breach of the Official Secrets Act.

The official complaint, made by a whistleblower at the Department of Health, centres around the leaking incident which took place in April 2019.

Assistant commissioner John O’Driscoll, who oversees Special Crime Operations, supervised an extensive initial review of the complaint.

It was later deemed that a full investigation into the controversy was warranted. Mr O’Driscoll heads the NBCI, which was duly tasked with leading the ongoing Garda investigation.

Mr Varadkar apologised in the Dáil last November after it emerged that he provided a confidential copy of the proposed new GP contract to his friend Dr Ó Tuathail.

The document, which was marked ‘confidential’, had been agreed between the Irish Medical Organisation and the Government, and was shared by Mr Varadkar with Dr Ó Tuathail, who was then the head of a rival GP group.

In February, Mr Varadkar offered to meet gardaí to help them with their then preliminary inquiries into the leaking of the confidential document.

The Tánaiste said at the time that his legal advice was that he had “committed no offence” and that he was willing to provide a “full statement” on the circumstances surrounding the leaking of a copy of the document.

“I am aware that a complaint was made against me last November,” he said on February 15.

“This was widely reported at the time. The gardaí have to do their job and investigate that complaint. I would expect nothing else.

"They have not been in contact with me about the matter but I have, through my solicitors, made contact with them and I have offered to meet with them, answer any questions they may have, and provide a full statement on the matter.

“The facts are no different to those set out by me in the Dáil last November. My legal advice is that I have committed no offence. I look forward to the matter being concluded.”

Mr Varadkar survived a Dáil motion of no confidence tabled by Sinn Féin in November last year on foot of the controversy.

At that point, he acknowledged that what he did was “not best practice” and an “error of judgment”.

Mr Varadkar told the Dáil: “There was nothing selfish, corrupt, dishonest or illegal in what I did.”

You will notice what is in bold text has not been said about Varadkar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement