Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm... lot of anger out there last night.......

They think it’s all over..........it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

skimpydoo wrote: »
    According to the Sindo:

Tánaiste quizzed by gardaí over leak

Fine Gael leader questioned for several hours over sharing of confidential GP deal

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has been questioned by gardaí over the leaking of a confidential Government document, while detectives also took possession of the Fine Gael leader’s mobile phone after he handed it over in a major upscaling of the investigation.

The Sunday Independent can reveal that Mr Varadkar was questioned for several hours at a Dublin garda station on Friday April 9 by detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI). The investigators also examined his mobile phone as part of the probe.

He met gardaí by appointment and was questioned for several hours by officers in the presence of his solicitor. His statement to gardaí over the controversy was voluntary.

The Tánaiste is under investigation over his leaking of a confidential copy of the Government’s proposed new GP contract with the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO) to his friend, Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail, in 2019.

A spokesperson for Mr Varadkar said last night: “The Tanaiste met the gardaí voluntarily by appointment earlier this month. He made a full statement and answered all questions. On advice the Tanaiste cannot say anything further until the investigation is complete. He has made a full account to the Dáil on this matter and looks forward to it being concluded.”

Dr Ó Tuathail was the head of the rival National Association of General Practitioners at the time.
    He has now also been interviewed by investigating officers, it is understood.

Dr Ó Tuathail met gardaí by arrangement at Terenure garda station on Monday April 5 and provided a voluntary statement following questioning.

He was also accompanied by a solicitor. Sources say that a “major focus” of Dr Ó Tuathail’s questioning was the exact nature of his friendship and his history with Mr Varadkar, as well as specifics about how the Tánaiste leaked the GP contract to him.

Former health minister Simon Harris provided gardaí with a statement in relation to the probe in February.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Dr Ó Tuathail or Mr Harris.

A spokesman for Garda headquarters declined to comment when contacted, saying: “In relation to your enquiry, An Garda Síochána does not comment on ongoing investigations.”

As detectives from NBCI have now spoken to both the Tánaiste and Dr Ó Tuathail — considered the key people in the probe — they will now begin their preparation of a file over the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

It is understood that gardaí intend to outline all the facts of the case to the DPP and it will be left up to the State prosecutor to make a decision on whether or not charges should be brought against Mr Varadkar.

Detectives can make a recommendation in any file submitted to the State prosecutor on whether criminal charges should be proffered. But in this instance, gardaí are expected to just outline the facts of the case, leaving the matter entirely up to the DPP to adjudicate on, which is also within the Garda remit.

Gardaí are examining whether the leak is a breach of the Official Secrets Act.

The official complaint, made by a whistleblower at the Department of Health, centres around the leaking incident which took place in April 2019.

Assistant commissioner John O’Driscoll, who oversees Special Crime Operations, supervised an extensive initial review of the complaint.

It was later deemed that a full investigation into the controversy was warranted. Mr O’Driscoll heads the NBCI, which was duly tasked with leading the ongoing Garda investigation.

Mr Varadkar apologised in the Dáil last November after it emerged that he provided a confidential copy of the proposed new GP contract to his friend Dr Ó Tuathail.

The document, which was marked ‘confidential’, had been agreed between the Irish Medical Organisation and the Government, and was shared by Mr Varadkar with Dr Ó Tuathail, who was then the head of a rival GP group.

In February, Mr Varadkar offered to meet gardaí to help them with their then preliminary inquiries into the leaking of the confidential document.

The Tánaiste said at the time that his legal advice was that he had “committed no offence” and that he was willing to provide a “full statement” on the circumstances surrounding the leaking of a copy of the document.

“I am aware that a complaint was made against me last November,” he said on February 15.

“This was widely reported at the time. The gardaí have to do their job and investigate that complaint. I would expect nothing else.

"They have not been in contact with me about the matter but I have, through my solicitors, made contact with them and I have offered to meet with them, answer any questions they may have, and provide a full statement on the matter.

“The facts are no different to those set out by me in the Dáil last November. My legal advice is that I have committed no offence. I look forward to the matter being concluded.”

Mr Varadkar survived a Dáil motion of no confidence tabled by Sinn Féin in November last year on foot of the controversy.

At that point, he acknowledged that what he did was “not best practice” and an “error of judgment”.

Mr Varadkar told the Dáil: “There was nothing selfish, corrupt, dishonest or illegal in what I did.”

You will notice what is in bold text has not been said about Varadkar.

That's not what the article said last night that was linked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's not what the article said last night that was linked here.

Two articles differ?

Next thing you know there'll be an article with s headline that Leo has to move home with a URL that is later altered so it returns a 404.

What I've been reading is that the file has been sent to DPP, detectives from the NCBI haven't made any recommendations with the file.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Two articles differ?

Next thing you know there'll be an article with s headline that Leo has to move home with a URL that is later altered so it returns a 404.

What I've been reading is that the file has been sent to DPP, detectives from the NCBI haven't made any recommendations with the file.

Well the one last night said no law was broken and Gardai don't believe any charges will be brought.

So let's wait and see

A lot of time put in down the outrage pits amongst some of the regulars around here, Brendan. And for what? Nout.

I see LV remains the most popular party leader amongst the electorate based on an opinion poll out this morning.

That must be upping the bile levels in some lads. You’d almost feel sorry for some of them. Like waking up on Christmas morning and discovering Santa didn’t visit yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The desperation to downplay all this over the last 12 hours or so on this thread is so transparent it's ridiculous.

However you cut it, having the leader of FG and former/future Taioseach being the subject of a criminal investigation and interviewed as such is not a good look for him or the party. That's indisputable.

However this being Ireland, unless he actually faces charges, the pro-FGers here are right that it'll all be forgotten regardless. You only have to look at the electoral success of certain other politicians past and present despite some of the stuff that they were involved in or accused of. As a country we have an extremely poor history of holding anyone to account (including serial offending criminals).

I particularly noticed from the Indo article that the Gardai have declined to offer an opinion for the DPP file which smacks of passing the buck to me but is probably unsurprising given who it involves, but that in itself is a problem too as it should make no difference who or what position someone holds in this country. I somehow doubt Varadkar was treated in the same way as others who would be interviewed either.

Unless the DPP agree to move forward (unlikely in my view, despite the fact that Varadkar admits obtaining and providing the document in question), this will all go away shortly, at least from the criminal aspect of the matter. Whether or not FG believe that they can continue with Varadkar at the helm is another matter. In most other countries he'd already have been removed, but voter apathy and FG arrogance will probably see him through if he chooses to stay on.

Well, lads. Has Leo been hung, drawn and quartered yet? He was interviewed over a week ago and it’s only now come to light? Why is that, I wonder? Nothing new has come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Well, lads. Has Leo been hung, drawn and quartered yet? He was interviewed over a week ago and it’s only now come to light? Why is that, I wonder? Nothing new has come to light.

In fairness there is a great article this morning on the Chelsea/Man City match yesterday. Hardly an earth shattering scoop though.

Lads up till 2am talking bs about a non story BB. Some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A lot of time put in down the outrage pits amongst some of the regulars around here, Brendan. And for what? Nout.

I see LV remains the most popular party leader amongst the electorate based on an opinion poll out this morning.

That must be upping the bile levels in some lads. You’d almost feel sorry for some of them. Like waking up on Christmas morning and discovering Santa didn’t visit yet again.

Doctor I was not there myself, at a slab fest with a few mates in our bubble.

There will be a lot of bile swilling through the veins and arteries of this thread over the next few days, might be an idea to lie low till is washes through.

Might go back into the cocoon mesell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭ooter

Maybe this has been asked before but why do the latest developments always seem to break on a Sunday, is there a reason for that or just coincidence?

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    More votes in the morning for parties other than Fine Gael, thanks to Leo

Don't go into the horoscope business :pac:

ooter wrote: »
    Maybe this has been asked before but why do the latest developments always seem to break on a Sunday, is there a reason for that or just coincidence?

Money money money.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,316 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You did.

You said: "Leo may still do jail time."

Goodnight.

I didn't and it is provable.

I can say this today and it is still perfectly true and accurate because when you are the subject of a STILL ongoing criminal investigation you may go to jail, no matter who you are;

'Leo MAY still do jail time but I do not EXPECT him to'.

'Leo MAY still do jail time but I do not EXPECT him to'.

As any Etymology/linguistics/English professor will tell you,that statement also applies to you and me
    Theres nothing left in the bottom of the barrell it seems other than hope
    My view for what its worth,if the Gardaí have found no crime as the Sunday Times source suggests
    Its curtains for your hope I'm afraid

As any Etymology/linguistics/English professor will tell you,that statement also applies to you and me
    Theres nothing left in the bottom of the barrell it seems other than hope
    My view for what its worth,if the Gardaí have found no crime as the Sunday Times source suggests
    Its curtains for your hope I'm afraid

No doubt that it applies to us all. But all of us are not under a criminal investigation are we?

If the DDP (not the Gardai who are not the experts here BTW) finds no crime, then Leo reverts to having the same chance of going to jail as the rest of us not under criminal investigation.

But you are going to have to wait a while longer for that so news that it is over is a bit premature and we will SILL be left with a Tanaiste (soon to be Taoiseach) who has confessed to wrongdoing and leaking a what he believed was a confidential document knowingly.

No doubt that it applies to us all. But all of us are not under a criminal investigation are we?

If the DDP (not the Gardai who are not the experts here BTW) finds no crime, then Leo reverts to having the same chance of going to jail as the rest of us not under criminal investigation.

But you are going to have to wait a while longer for that so news that it is over is a bit premature and we will SILL be left with a Tanaiste (soon to be Taoiseach) who has confessed to wrongdoing and leaking a what he believed was a confidential document knowingly.

I haven't said its over,but being realistic,I expect it is
    As regards your language,Im afraid you are wrong
    We all may go to jail
    Thats the beauty of the word may
    Expectations are a different matter,that word implies consideration of the matters in front of you and its good that you are (finally) being realistic there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

My name is URL do not post in this thread again

I haven't said its over,but being realistic,I expect it is
    As regards your language,Im afraid you are wrong
    We all may go to jail
    Thats the beauty of the word may
    Expectations are a different matter,that word implies consideration of the matters in front of you and its good that you are (finally) being realistic there

:) 'Finally'? :)

Clutching at straws again. I never expected him to go to jail because it just doesn't happen here that we do accountability for wrongdoing like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

jmcc wrote: »
    Politics is all about perception. Not having Varadkar's spokesperson give a comment, even if it is just to confirm that Varadkar was interviewed under caution by the Gardai, creates a vacuum. FG loses control of the narrative. That's bad.

To be fair, this is horse****. See the Sindo.
    To supporters of political parties with no experience in Journalism, it may seem like nothing. To those who understand Journalism and have experience with it, it is dangerous because it increases the opportunity for speculation.

Again, this is nonsense.
    Speculation destroys certainty. That speculation increases the probability of FG losing votes because it has a damaged leader who is a liability to the party. If FG had competent political managers, Varadkar would never have been made leader of FG.

If Coveny was made leader, we would be hearing the same stuff about him. Anyway, unlike other parties who coronate their leaders in a smoked filled back office, FG elects them through an electoral college.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    To be fair, this is horse****. See the Sindo.

Again, this is nonsense.

If Coveny was made leader, we would be hearing the same stuff about him. Anyway, unlike other parties who coronate their leaders in a smoked filled back office, FG elects them through an electoral college.

Electoral college is just anther way of saying 'coronated by an elite within the party' in the case of FG.

They have reserved the right to over-rule the membership choice. In this case approx 3000 chose Varadkar and over 7000 chose Coveney. Go figure and don't be throwing stones in the greenhouse! :)

FG members know how the system works. It’s a pretty common approach to electing a new leader tbh - standard enough fare across Europe.

I know you only voted for SF for the first time in the last election, Francie, but did you ever manage to find out for SF vote in a new leader? You must have gone from a maybe to a definite on the auld Abù system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There was a very funny tweet yesterday which went something like

"the editors of the Sun and Daily Mail when they see William and Harry chatting and getting along" and included a clip of that blonde woman from Footballers Wives and Eastenders losing her shyt and wrecking her own flat in fury.

Thats whats happening here. Folk hanging on every word of Bowes and Cosgrave and their Fatal Attraction and expecting the devastating reveal, only to be disappointed again and again.

The whole affair has gone beyond pathetic already. LV will be Taoiseach again at the end of next year and will depart as Fine Gael leader probably when he loses some seats in 2025, not before. FF and the Greens will avoid an early election at any cost. ANY cost. And that is the bottom line here.

FG members know how the system works. It’s a pretty common approach to electing a new leader tbh - standard enough fare across Europe.

I know you only voted for SF for the first time in the last election, Francie, but did you ever manage to find out for SF vote in a new leader? You must have gone from a maybe to a definite on the auld Abù system.

I don't really care how it is done Doc, I accept Mary Lou is the leader, and I accept what I am told about it, I care about people pretending things are what they are not.

A system that see's 7000 members ignored in favour of 3000 ain't democratic no matter how you write it up. So stop calling it that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I don't really care how it is done Doc, I accept Mary Lou is the leader, and I accept what I am told about it, I care about people pretending things are what they are not.

A system that see's 7000 members ignored in favour of 3000 ain't democratic no matter how you write it up. So stop calling it that.

Why do you not care about how one party leader is selected, yet seem to be obsessed with how another party leader is? Both were legitimately elected under the rules put in place by each party, and known by the members of each party.

Is it simply because of who the person is? Very odd to keep bringing up.

Jesus, there’s a lot of very very angry Shinnerbot and Pirate Flag sorts over on Twitter today. Lashing out at journalists, politicians from other parties, people commenting on articles.

Mary Lou should ask for calm from the online army. It’s really not a good look. Call off the dogs of war.

Jesus, there’s a lot of very very angry Shinnerbot and Pirate Flag sorts over on Twitter today. Lashing out at journalists, politicians from other parties, people commenting on articles.

Mary Lou should ask for calm from the online army. It’s really not a good look. Call off the dogs of war.

Seems they've assembled the full army today for this one.

Seems they've assembled the full army today for this one.

I’ve never seen them as bad tempered. It’s not the anonymous ones either - had a lad with a #think32, photo and lots of followers call me a ‘free state cünt’ earlier for calling out his whataboutery. One of the sorts with the badly translated Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

I’ve never seen them as bad tempered. It’s not the anonymous ones either - had a lad with a #think32, photo and lots of followers call me a ‘free state cünt’ earlier for calling out his whataboutery. One of the sorts with the badly translated Irish name.

Are you really surprised??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

the sorts with the badly translated Irish name.

Lol, how true is that. Pathetic. Clueless fools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement