Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If Mary Lou was interviewed under caution and had to surrender her mobile

She hasn't being required to yet.

Keep clutching tho

Pathetic really. Can you lot not just accept reality?

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

If Mary Lou was interviewed under caution and had to surrender her mobile, what would you be saying? I doubt it would be much ado about nothing.

Maybe ? But if we could have got Gerrys phone now that would be a different story . Might be able to uncover lots of things, would you agree ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If Mary Lou was interviewed under caution and had to surrender her mobile, what would you be saying? I doubt it would be much ado about nothing.

That's some reverse whataboutery whataboutery!!

What has Mary Lou and SF got to do with this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

End-to-end encrypted. Not stored on WhatsApp servers.

Lot of straw clutching going on tonight.

Right so we need to call in the NSA as witnesse as they have the keys to the kingdom. (I don't just mean Saudi)

End-to-end encrypted. Not stored on WhatsApp servers.

Lot of straw clutching going on tonight.

Desperation springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A Garda source.

Which goes on to say no law was broken.

Anyway if it makes you happy to keep on believing be my guest.

Sure it's all a bit of crack at the end of the day:)

I don't believe anything, happy to go with what the Gardai and DPP say about this.

The damage is done to Leo and as I said way at the start of this, I hope he clings on and it's him leading FG into the next election.
    Just don't be lying about what's in he article. 'Sources' have been very wrong before, not least Garda ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

costacorta wrote: »
    Maybe ? But if we could have got Gerrys phone now that would be a different story . Might be able to uncover lots of things, would you agree ??

What would you be able to uncover? You can barely string a sentence together

Hahahahaha

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭jmcc

Wouldn't Varadkar have had to give up his password for his phone as well?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I'm sorry. Just to get serious for a second. If you believe "no crime committed" you are either delusional or complicit.

Clear abuse of position to benefit a personal friend and political position.

Croynism 101. Bananastan.

And people honestly ask why the children's hospital cost more than the tallest building in the world!

I'm sorry. Just to get serious for a second. If you believe "no crime committed" you are either delusional or complicit.

Clear abuse of position to benefit a personal friend and political position.

Croynism 101. Bananastan.

I'm sorry.

In the article it says no evidence of what you are saying was found.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If.
    If.
    If only Leo had attended a funeral ...

I can feel the sighs of disappointment.
    None of the 'ifs' that I referred to are in any way far fetched. In fact, they are far more likely than not imo.
    Also, I wasn't referring to so much about what could be in them, as opposed to how retrievable they probably are.

TBH, it is enough that they took his phone. They probably have good reason, and that doesn't look good in itself. I can't imagine they took the decision to ask him for it too lightly.

I'm sorry.

In the article it says no evidence of what you are saying was found.

Don't believe everything you read Jingle.

Friends have friends in high places.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Especially when you don't look for it. :pac:

Could be wrong here, dude, but I'm getting some angry vibes off you.

I know a lot of time, emotional effort, and hope went into this story for a lot of the punters in this forum, but it was always a nothingburger.

"Calls to Varadkar's spokesperson went unanswered." Hardly vote of confidence, is it?

Regards...jmcc

Could be wrong here, dude, but I'm getting some angry vibes off you.

I know a lot of time, emotional effort, and hope went into this story for a lot of the punters in this forum, but it was always a nothingburger.

There true colours always shine through. Maybe his mammy sent him to bed early?

jmcc wrote: »
    "Calls to Varadkar's spokesperson went unanswered." Hardly vote of confidence, is it?

Regards...jmcc

I presume he's not going to give a statement based on an investigation that is still ongoing.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencealert.com%2Fimages%2Farticles%2Fprocessed%2Fpepe_silvia_conspiracy_illusory_patterns_always_sunny_1024.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭blackcard

TestIcicle wrote: »
    I am the employee of a large UK based newspaper (though I myself am Irish, co Wexford originally) I have it on very good authority that there's a major, major story about to break on Leo Varadkar, probably in tomorrow's papers.

I'm not at liberty to give further information just yet, but its directly related to this debacle. Leo knows that the news will break imminently.

What an anti-climax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This story has more twists and turns before it's over. Leo may or may not be charged but his and FG's reputation has gone down a few notches. The leader of the Law and Order party handing over their phone to the Guards is not a good look and you have to at least agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I presume he's not going to give a statement based on an investigation that is still ongoing.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencealert.com%2Fimages%2Farticles%2Fprocessed%2Fpepe_silvia_conspiracy_illusory_patterns_always_sunny_1024.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    Why not? Leo has in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That photo is very apt. Well done. Crazy conspiracy theorists thinking all sorts of crazy.

I can only think of a couple of former leaders that have had their phones investigated. But of course there may be hundreds more. They all probably had their own crazy's talking crazy too.
    Pena Nieto and Nicolas Sarkozy come to mind. I am sure there may be a few in Asia and/or possibly others in South America.
    I am hoping somebody could tell us how any of them went? Are they still under investigation? Did they get the all clear?
    Does it happen often?
    Sarkozy investigation was a long one IIRC. Started back in 2014 I believe. Hopefully Leo's doesn't take that long.

Why not? Leo has in the past.

Yeah he said with great confidence that he wouldn't be charged.

A super power only afforded to former taoisigh.

Politics is all about perception. Not having Varadkar's spokesperson give a comment, even if it is just to confirm that Varadkar was interviewed under caution by the Gardai, creates a vacuum. FG loses control of the narrative. That's bad.

To supporters of political parties with no experience in Journalism, it may seem like nothing. To those who understand Journalism and have experience with it, it is dangerous because it increases the opportunity for speculation.

Speculation destroys certainty. That speculation increases the probability of FG losing votes because it has a damaged leader who is a liability to the party. If FG had competent political managers, Varadkar would never have been made leader of FG.

Regards...jmcc

Politics is all about perception. Not having Varadkar's spokesperson give a comment even if it is just to confirm that Varadkar was interviewed under caution by the Gardai creates a vacuum. FG loses control of the narrative. That's bad.

To supporters of political parties with no experience in Journalism, it may seem like nothing. To those who understand Journalism and have experience with it, it is dangerous because it increases the opportunity for speculation.

Speculation destroys certainty. That speculation increases the probability of FG losing votes because it has a damaged leader who is a liability to the party. If FG had competent political managers, Varadkar would never have been made leader of FG.

Regards...jmcc

Speculation destroys certainty??

Did you come up with that yourself!??

To those who understand Journalism and have experience with it, it is dangerous because it increases the opportunity for speculation.

What's your experience of journalism apart from complaining about it on the internet for the past quarter of a century? The Times have reported on the facts. The conspiracy theory stuff around here and with the pirate flag crew on Twitter is where the speculation is running wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

Politics is all about perception. Not having Varadkar's spokesperson give a comment, even if it is just to confirm that Varadkar was interviewed under caution by the Gardai, creates a vacuum. FG loses control of the narrative. That's bad.

Regards...jmcc

Great day for the Brexit brigade and all in the DUP and Tory party who hate the role Varadkar had in bringing about the NI protocol and the TCA - his firmness in refusing to engage in Ireland/UK dialogue while insisting that everything went through Brussels has led to him emerging as a figure of hate for those who want to destroy our position in the EU

If anyone is looking for a new phone I know someone who can sort you out?

New one in the morning no questions asked.

550529.png

• Registered Users Posts: 67,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

DPC is gonna be busy too. A political party and the Tanaiste to investigat. Another few months of this to run yet.

• Advertisement

What's your experience of journalism apart from complaining about it on the internet for the past quarter of a century?
    Years working as a journalist before you ever knew there was a World Wide Web.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement