Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    By asking them to vote, and including their votes in an electoral college to elect their new leader? That fact?

What other parties do, actually does have a bearing as that is the benchmark here. But I do not think people actually care about this, they just want this thread to be another, 'lets give out about FG' thread.
    We already have one of those.:)

Nobody is benchmarking. Just stating how FG do it. They retain the power in an elite of the party...just in case an undesirable gets elected by the membership.
    Dress it up any way you want, that is what it is.

Have you for the breakdown of membership votes electing Mary Lou? I'm struggling to find it online and who she ran against.

Is the leader voted by membership only in SF or is it an electoral collage type voting system?

A member of SF explained here awhile back how it is done. It's a branch nomination process afaik.

Maybe ask on a SF thread?

Suckit wrote: »
    Anyone could say the exact same thing about the powerless Paddy Cosgrave and the FG online army of keyboard finger soldiers.
    Paddy really gets to them, he really bothers them, they hate him with a passion and in many very tragic cases it causes them to spend their lives giving out about him on the internet...

It is hilarious though. Truly.

Point out the 9500 post thread about Paddy and his increasingly deluded rantings.
    Think we got to nearly 30k with Maria Bailey.

Lives literally wasted away.

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

A member of SF explained here awhile back how it is done. It's a branch nomination process afaik.

Maybe ask on a SF thread?

Will do just thought this was a more suitable thread where people including yourself were discussing the process.

Point out the 9500 post thread about Paddy and his increasingly deluded rantings.

Sad.

9000 posts for an eventful year of in ands outs is hardly excessive. Seen the Brexit threads? I think they are in the 100's of thousands.

• Advertisement

Will do just thought this was a more suitable thread where people including yourself were discussing the process.

I was discussing Leo's election as leader, not SF or any other party for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sad.
    Maybe when Paddy is in a position of power and leaks confidential documents or tries to extort money from a company etc. somebody will start a thread about him and maybe it will get the same amount of posts dedicated to him. Who knows. But until then, his single tweets create all sorts of uncomfortable movements in the FG ranks..
    Again.. It is very funny.
    I wouldn't be a fan of his (either way), but long may this continue. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I was discussing Leo's election as leader, not SF or any other party for that matter.

No problem I took your mod advise and posted it in the relevant thread to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nobody is benchmarking. Just stating how FG do it. They retain the power in an elite of the party...just in case an undesirable gets elected by the membership.
    Dress it up any way you want, that is what it is.

Well, that is your dressing up of it. As I said in my more detailed post many parties, including FF, Labour and SF have much much more form in what you are saying above. Funny though how you are OK when they do it.

markodaly wrote: »
    Well, that is your dressing up of it. As I said in my more detailed post many parties, including FF, Labour and SF have much much more form in what you are saying above. Funny though how you are OK when they do it.

Were did I say I wasn't 'ok' with it.
    I stated facts as to how it is done in the FG, I didn't offer any opinion on it.

I am not a member of any political party, how they elect a leader is up to them.

I'll vote for a party on how leaders and TD's perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Were did I say I wasn't 'ok' with it.
    I stated facts as to how it is done in the FG, I didn't offer any opinion on it.

I am not a member of any political party, how they elect a leader is up to them.

I'll vote for a party on how leaders and TD's perform.

Given your activity over numerous platforms Francis, your vote would seem to have a fairly solid destination.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Given your activity over numerous platforms Francis, your vote would seem to have a fairly solid destination.

;)

So he's a SF voter (assuming he is).. so what? What has that got to do with Leo Vardakar leaking a confidential document to his mate?

I'm not a SF voter and think they'd be a disaster in Government for a country like ours, but that makes no difference to the subject at hand either.

All this "but what about SF" nonsense om this thread is gas. If it was Mary Lou who had done what Leo HAS ADMITTED TO here, the FGers would be all over it calling for her head.

All the whataboutery/nothing to see here nonsense does is strengthen the "neutral's" view that FG are the party of "do what I say, not as I do" and completely out of touch with the general public.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So he's a SF voter (assuming he is).. so what? What has that got to do with Leo Vardakar leaking a confidential document to his mate?

I'm not a SF voter and think they'd be a disaster in Government for a country like ours, but that makes no difference to the subject at hand either.

All this "but what about SF" nonsense om this thread is gas. If it was Mary Lou who had done what Leo HAS ADMITTED TO here, the FGers would be all over it calling for her head.

All the whataboutery/nothing to see here nonsense does is strengthen the "neutral's" view that FG are the party of "do what I say, not as I do" and completely out of touch with the general public.

That’s not what the opinion polls are indicating, dude. FG and Leo are the most popular party and leader respectively. The likes of FF are languishing down in the low teens and have hot young blood like O’Cuiv making noises about the party leadership.

That’s not what the opinion polls are indicating, dude. FG and Leo are the most popular party and leader respectively. The likes of FF are languishing down in the low teens and have hot young blood like O’Cuiv making noises about the party leadership.

opinion polls had Scotland independent, Trump far from the white house and Brexit as a NOT A CHANCE EVER result....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

is that why they are the third party in the dail and lost 12 seat at the last election? and leo only got in on the 5th count as well. I'm not sure that is the sort of popularity they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭jmcc

is that why they are the third party in the dail and lost 12 seat at the last election? and leo only got in on the 5th count as well. I'm not sure that is the sort of popularity they want.
    The FG politburo decided to install Leo the Fifth (count) to please the Wokus Dei morons in the media. He led FG to one of its worst General Election results ever. FG was polling around 30% a few months before the GE. Then Charlie Tan'agan wanted to commemorate the Black and Tans/RIC and Varadkar and the rest of the neo-Unionist gang in FG went along with it. Now FG has a "leader" who in under criminal investigation for leaking a confidential document to his friend. The chatter on Twitter is that there are more revelations to come. FG's reputation as the natural party for the Laura Norder vote is damaged. How could the FG politburo choose Varadkar when the FG grassroots had voted for Coveney?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    The FG politburo decided to install Leo the Fifth (count) to please the Wokus Dei morons in the media. He led FG to one of its worst General Election results ever. FG was polling around 30% a few months before the GE. Then Charlie Tan'agan wanted to commemorate the Black and Tans/RIC and Varadkar and the rest of the neo-Unionist gang in FG went along with it. Now FG has a "leader" who in under criminal investigation for leaking a confidential document to his friend. The chatter on Twitter is that there are more revelations to come. FG's reputation as the natural party for the Laura Norder vote is damaged. How could the FG politburo choose Varadkar when the FG grassroots had voted for Coveney?

Regards...jmcc

I completely agree with all of this, save for one point I'd add.

As bad as Leo is - and he is - his obsession with his profile and his ego means that his actual impact on things is minimal (hence the disastrous result in the GE).

Coveney however would be far more destructive IMO, being a loyal subject of the EU and admirer of the teachings of the late Peter Sutherland - neither of which are a particularly good thing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I completely agree with all of this, save for one point I'd add.

As bad as Leo is - and he is - his obsession with his profile and his ego means that his actual impact on things is minimal (hence the disastrous result in the GE).

Coveney however would be far more destructive IMO, being a loyal subject of the EU and admirer of the teachings of the late Peter Sutherland - neither of which are a particularly good thing for Ireland.

I think we know where you are coming from..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭jmcc

He sacrificed a seat in Wexford to please the Wokus Dei morons in the Dublin media. A good leader would not have been so stupid and vain. Varadkar is a preening fop with no substance.
    Coveney would not have been good for Ireland in that respect. However, he would have been a far better choice as leader of FG and FG would have had a much better election with him as leader.

He manages to appear as being quite ordinary when dealing with the media and that's a very powerful asset because voters can empathise with that. He doesn't appear creepy like Varadkar or a shifty gombeen school teacher like Enda Kenny or Michael Noonan or Micheal Martin.

Regards...jmcc

I think we know where you are coming from..........:rolleyes:

Do tell Brendan. As I'm not a SF voter, you can't fall back on that one anyway.

What attempt at deflection awaits this time I wonder?

• Advertisement

Do tell Brendan. As I'm not a SF voter, you can't fall back on that one anyway.

What attempt at deflection awaits this time I wonder?

he's calling you a homophobe, since SF voter cannot stick, my guess is you'll be beaten with the anti gay rhetoric now :D

rusty cole wrote: »
    he's calling you a homophobe, since SF voter cannot stick, my guess is you'll be beaten with the anti gay rhetoric now :D

Ahh.. Coveney is gay too? I thought he's a family man? :D

But I don't give a toss who sleeps with who as long as it's legal and consensual. That should put that argument to bed!

Cheers though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Suckit wrote: »
    Anyone could say the exact same thing about the powerless Paddy Cosgrave and the FG online army of keyboard finger soldiers.
    Paddy really gets to them, he really bothers them, they hate him with a passion and in many very tragic cases it causes them to spend their lives giving out about him on the internet...

It is hilarious though. Truly.

Paddy Cosgrave is trying to influence politics in Ireland and he has money. Meanwhile he doesn’t pay taxes here & has his finances tucked away in a nice cosy tax shelter arrangement in the US, see my previous post on this for source.

Anyone who associates with Cosgrave bothers me much more than Varadkar.
    - He’s got a vendetta against FG because they wouldn’t bow to his demands re web summit, recent article suggesting the Portuguese are now also getting fed up of coughing up €10 million per annum for Cosgrave’s ego massaging event which I’ve already posted in this thread.
    - He is currently a supporter of the Biden corporate tax policy change as per his recent tweets, let that sink in for a minute. Cosgrave is tweeting support that will cost Ireland hundreds of thousands of FDI jobs and investment, while he with his millions in tax havens remains unaffected. He is also supporting the State’s corporate tax take being substantially reduced.
    - He tweeted last year that two HSE nurses had died from Covid, which turned out to be completely untrue and caused a lot of upset among Hse staff. He didn’t care though.
    - He seems to like tweeting insults at people like Neale Richmond, calling him a castle catholic, and recently someone else for their choice of house they bought....a millionaire tweeting a derogatory tweet about what part of Dublin someone purchased their house in....

How anyone can support this individual, or allow him to influence their party is beyond me.

Paddy Cosgrave is trying to influence politics in Ireland and he has money. Meanwhile he doesn’t pay taxes here & has his finances tucked away in a nice cosy tax shelter arrangement in the US, see my previous post on this for source.

- He’s got a vendetta against FG because they wouldn’t bow to his demands re web summit, recent article suggesting the Portuguese are now also getting fed up of coughing up €10 million per annum for Cosgrave’s ego massaging event which I’ve already posted in this thread.
    - He is currently a supporter of the Biden corporate tax policy change as per his recent tweets, let that sink in for a minute. Cosgrave is tweeting support that will cost Ireland hundreds of thousands of FDI jobs and investment, while he with his millions in tax havens remains unaffected. He is also supporting the State’s corporate tax take being substantially reduced.
    - He tweeted last year that two HSE nurses had died from Covid, which turned out to be completely untrue and caused a lot of upset among Hse staff. He didn’t care though.
    - He seems to like tweeting insults at people like Neale Richmond, calling him a castle catholic, and recently someone else for their choice of house they bought....a millionaire tweeting a derogatory tweet about what part of Dublin someone purchased their house in....

How anyone can support this individual, or allow him to influence their party is beyond me.

You don't need to support whistleblowers or those who give them a platform.

I don't support the personal politics of Julian Assange for instance, but if he has info that is truthful and relevant to governance and how it is being conducted I am listening and so is every democrat.

Let the truth fall where it may...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He really has an opinion about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

You don't need to support whistleblowers or those who give them a platform.

I don't support the personal politics of Julian Assange for instance, but if he has info that is truthful and relevant to governance and how it is being conducted I am listening and so is every democrat.

Let the truth fall where it may...

So...are you actually trying to paint Paddy Cosgrave as a whistleblower? And you’re trying to put him in the same calibre Julian Assange. Delusional is the word the springs to mind here.

So...are you actually trying to paint Paddy Cosgrave as a whistleblower? And you’re trying to put him in the same calibre Julian Assange. Delusional is the word the springs to mind here.

No, he has platformed the information.
    The person confessed to what came out.

Paddy is immaterial to that truth TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

i think youll find most people know that it was chay bowes who blew the whistle on leo and his leaky ways !!!!!

what your trying to do, is shoot the messenger .

what does it matter who the person is so long as what they are telling is truthful by the way ? im sure you used to think highly of leo , and I dont assume youll now be questioning the calibre of any statements he releases now , considering what he has confessed to doing , and is now the subject of a criminal investigation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If Paddy Cosgrave is right and more is to come out about Leo. What will all you naysayers say then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have no idea why you quoted my post there, it literally changes absolutely nothing about my post.
    There are plenty of well know FG supporters that are higher profile tax exiles yet they seem to have a lot of sway with the Government.
    However, I'm not really shocked that somebody said something on the internet that wasn't true (either you mentioning his inaccurate tweet, or the tweet itself).
    There is a very easy way to stop Paddy Cosgrave tweets from bothering you.
    However, one piece he did tweet about is the reason we are discussing him at all here, and that was in fact true. Leo admitted it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement