Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Apart from the FAI Cup final as ahs been mentioned there will be no other big sporting matches for some time so i dont see the issue really.

It won't matter. It will be the principle of it. Bad move imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It won't matter. It will be the principle of it. Bad move imo.

I disagree, there are only 3 big national finals left, surely by the time the NFL and LOI kick off again, restrictions will have been eased and its not as if other sports are being discriminated against, there are no other sports that have their blue riband events in the next few weeks, if there were then i could see your point. Getting 5k safely in and out of big stadiums for these one off games should not be an issue.
    Anyway we will see,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Rockfish wrote: »
    I hear there's a possibility of up to 5,000 being allowed at the AI finals providing Covid numbers done drastically worsen

It'll be 5000 of the greatest and finest of society, ie Michael D, TDs, Senators, top civil servants, business leaders, the clergy, a few ambassadors, those RTE journalists that weren't at a certain party. In a nutshell, the same ones that will get the vaccine first, the same ones that will get the lifeboats on a sinking ship first and the same ones who are unlikely to be seen at a GAA league match in early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

EICVD wrote: »
    I’ll be very surprised if there’s crowds allowed at any sport until the new year

Especially with those in power who are very cautious. On another note It's a ridiculous rule to not allow extended panelists attend provincial finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I disagree, there are only 3 big national finals left, surely by the time the NFL and LOI kick off again, restrictions will have been eased and its not as if other sports are being discriminated against, there are no other sports that have their blue riband events in the next few weeks, if there were then i could see your point. Getting 5k safely in and out of big stadiums for these one off games should not be an issue.
    Anyway we will see,

If it's rolled out as a concession to the GAA, which is what the poster said I think, then there will be uproar and rightly so.

Make the announcement that it is for all sports events. It's not going to benefit the ordinary fan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

I cant say obviously but its from someone on a Croke Park committee

Fair enough. If you're right, I'd hope season ticket holders would get preference from the competing counties but in reality it would probably be the prawn sandwich brigade who need a map to croke park.

I think for one year though, they could let it go. Letting all panelists attend would be the way to go as John Kiely pointed out.

If it's rolled out as a concession to the GAA, which is what the poster said I think, then there will be uproar and rightly so.

Make the announcement that it is for all sports events.
    It's not going to benefit the ordinary fan anyway.

Well that would work as there are no other events anyway:). No it wouldnt benefit the ordinary fans bar a few lucky ones, but would allow players families, friends etc to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well that would work as there are no other events anyway:). No it wouldnt benefit the ordinary fans bar a few lucky ones, but would allow players families, friends etc to be there

That in itself would be a great bonus to the players and families.

But I can't see it happening, there is zero evidence of it even being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why don't the GAA use fake crowd noise like the do in the premier league and the rugby? imagine an all Ireland with no noise.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why don't the GAA use fake crowd noise like the do in the premier league and the rugby? imagine an all Ireland with no noise.

Sky use it and will have the finals.

• Advertisement

Sky use it and will have the finals.

Ya and it works well imo, i much prefer their coverage anyway

[/b]

That in itself would be a great bonus to the players and families.

But I can't see it happening, there is zero evidence of it even being considered.

I am fairly certain there will be a few hundred at least at the finals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

I hear there's a possibility of up to 5,000 being allowed at the AI finals providing Covid numbers done drastically worsen

Imagine what those tickets will be going for on the black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It'll be 5000 of the greatest and finest of society, ie Michael D, TDs, Senators, top civil servants, business leaders, the clergy, a few ambassadors, those RTE journalists that weren't at a certain party. In a nutshell, the same ones that will get the vaccine first, the same ones that will get the lifeboats on a sinking ship first and the same ones who are unlikely to be seen at a GAA league match in early February.

I'd expect healthcare workers and other frontline workers to get vaccine first

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Imagine what those tickets will be going for on the black market.
    They would not even make the black market.
    5k is a tiny number, very easy for the GAA to keep tabs on and any that were seen for sale unauthorized would very quickly be cancelled and the offending person/club would suffer a serious reprimand.

I'd expect healthcare workers and other frontline workers to get vaccine first

Of course they will, the idea that Tds and senators will get preferential treatment is just populist bs

is the mark a temporary experiment or is it here to stay? im not sure about it, its a dramatic change to the game. I wouldn't really be a fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The mark is awful.

Mickey Harte made a great point about it on BBC at the weekend, it was brought it to encourage high fielding, but in order to reduce the risk and the contest, a lot of marks are being caught low and sometimes on the slide, so the apparent solution to the apparent problem hasn't had any effect at all of note except slowing the game down.

The mark is awful.

Mickey Harte made a great point about it on BBC at the weekend, it was brought it to encourage hugh fielding, but in order to reduce the risk and the contest, a lot of marks are being caught low and sometimes on the slide, so the apparent solution to the apparent problem hasn't had any effect at all of note except slowing the game down.

Should have been from outside 45 to inside 14. Takes all the interpretation of distance out of it for the referee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is the mark a temporary experiment or is it here to stay? im not sure about it, its a dramatic change to the game. I wouldn't really be a fan of it.

3yr experiment but its rubbish. Be better off extend the D out 5m further and complete it to the end line. Any points out side the D would be worth 2pts. Anything inside worth 1pt. Defences would have to push out creating more space inside. Black card offences inside the D would be a penalty. Outside the D brought to the edge and be worth 2 if kicked. Sort out a lot of the crap we've seen the last few years. Teams that take risks will get rewarded too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Louth GAA appoint Mickey Harte as Senior Football Manager.

https://twitter.com/louthgaa/status/1330969061593853960?s=20

Wow.

threeball wrote: »
    3yr experiment but its rubbish. Be better off extend the D out 5m further and complete it to the end line. Any points out side the D would be worth 2pts. Anything inside worth 1pt. Defences would have to push out creating more space inside. Black card offences inside the D would be a penalty. Outside the D brought to the edge and be worth 2 if kicked. Sort out a lot of the crap we've seen the last few years. Teams that take risks will get rewarded too.

Interesting points. one thing I noticed this year is players get within range to easily shoot for a point but instead go backwards or hand pass it sideways. it seems like its just the fear of missing and giving away possession.
    also the movement of the full forwards is non existent when their team mates have the ball and are attacking. if teams defend together, why dont they attack together? 1 or 2 forwards in dangerous positions against the oppositions whole defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That was a super quick appointment. Tough gig in an absolutely ****e uncompetitive Leinster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

A serious appointment for Louth. Best of luck to him. He doesnt hang around

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wow

Gathered from listening to him he wasn’t done but didn’t see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DVDM93 wrote: »

Knew he would go to a smaller county

Fair play too him, not sure he will bring cup success but he might raise the profile of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

DVDM93 wrote: »

A shock appointment if ever there was one. I suppose much less pressure to exceed at Louth than Tyrone. He's in no mood to retire fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Should have been from outside 45 to inside 14. Takes all the interpretation of distance out of it for the referee too.

Yeah, but it also should be gotten rid of. It's not solving any problems. We just can't seem to let the game evolve. There's also no CBA ever done on any of these changes I feel.
    threeball wrote: »

If you over-reward point scoring from distance you end up nullifying the worth of goals and you'd have a situation as in basketball where almost all scoring will occur from the 2pt line. You would also have teams pushing out and creating a wall thus we will have in essence a variety of offside line that will have a game turned on its head from the free flowing game it is now to something akin to rugby league.

So to my mind it will make the game a sport between the D's and a very static one at that.

You basically disincentive patient build up (a la Dublin) and reward potshots (a la Galway), and that's hardly a good thing.

We need to get rid of the black card. It's also a nonsense.

---

All proposals we see always seem to take the proposal in isolation without considering the effect it will have elsewhere in the game.

Advertisement